Criterion Sale B&N 50% off

bjstucker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
PROD-9175_Movies%26TVCriterionCollection_HeroRedesign.jpg

As always 50% off all Criterion includes boxsets... some newer ones since last sale:

Lone Wolf and Cub

Before Trilogy

Ghost World

Ikiru (Blu) 

As always a great time to pick up any Kurosawa movies missing from your collection

Yeah, it started near the beginning of July. B&N sales are always July and November.

I got from this one:

Straw Dogs

Stalker

12 Angry Men (which I thought I already had, and went to watch a couple of months ago, and found I did not)

Close-Up

Tampopo

Sansho the Bailiff

His Girl Friday

I remember when it all stacked... and I got the one huge box set for like $40 out the door on blu :D

I picked up Multiple Maniacs, Stalker, and Ghost World.

My haul:

Short Cuts

Tampopo

His Girl Friday

The In-Laws

Asphalt Jungle

In a Lonely Place

Lady Snowblood Complete

Wanted a few others but there were too many other good sales this month.

Eh, 50% off and being able to pick it up vs being forced to pay shipping.. I'll take picking it up when I'm in the area. Local B&N keeps a good stock on hand always. I only buy there for the 50% off Criterion sale and the 40% off everything sales, when I need horror.

Eh, 50% off and being able to pick it up vs being forced to pay shipping.. I'll take picking it up when I'm in the area. Local B&N keeps a good stock on hand always. I only buy there for the 50% off Criterion sale and the 40% off everything sales, when I need horror.
I don't have a Barnes and Noble within an hour of me, so I just buy online. I would get the membership if it gave the extra 10% online as well as in-store, because I would get that much out of it just from the Criterion sales (also the only time I buy anything from B&N, really) but it just gives you some crap-ass "express" shipping, which in my experience actually took significantly longer to get to me than the free standard shipping.

I don't have a Barnes and Noble within an hour of me, so I just buy online. I would get the membership if it gave the extra 10% online as well as in-store, because I would get that much out of it just from the Criterion sales (also the only time I buy anything from B&N, really) but it just gives you some crap-ass "express" shipping, which in my experience actually took significantly longer to get to me than the free standard shipping.
Yeah, I think the membership is a bum deal if you're shopping online-only. It easily pays for itself in-store with the Criterion sales and occasional book or cafe purchases. I will do a fair amount of X-Mas shopping there too.

I don't bother with the membership myself... I may miss out on $2 of savings from it this year based on my planned purchases after paying the cost of it. I just don't go there as much now. I buy less Criterion now (Not much space/unable to work so limited income) and while they carry more horror stuff, I only buy it during their 40% off sales, and even then Amazon can be cheaper, and I have Prime through a family member.... so it isn't worth it. It's beyond a bum deal for online.

I don't bother with the membership myself... I may miss out on $2 of savings from it this year based on my planned purchases after paying the cost of it. I just don't go there as much now. I buy less Criterion now (Not much space/unable to work so limited income) and while they carry more horror stuff, I only buy it during their 40% off sales, and even then Amazon can be cheaper, and I have Prime through a family member.... so it isn't worth it. It's beyond a bum deal for online.
I actually mostly buy direct from Criterion now. They have half-off sales twice a year too, the downside is that they're one day only and pretty close together (october and january, usually, I think?) but for every $500 you spend, you get a $50 gift certificate, so it ends up being cheaper than B&N's.

They also usually time them around a big release, which is nice, whereas sometimes B&N's will end juuuust before what I actually want comes out.

I actually mostly buy direct from Criterion now. They have half-off sales twice a year too, the downside is that they're one day only and pretty close together (october and january, usually, I think?) but for every $500 you spend, you get a $50 gift certificate, so it ends up being cheaper than B&N's.

They also usually time them around a big release, which is nice, whereas sometimes B&N's will end juuuust before what I actually want comes out.
I pass a B&N 1-2 times a month from medical appointments alone... so for me it's an instant gratification thing.... and not paying shipping. I used to buy a lot more, and back then I would have a membership.. but coupons worked then too. Anymore I may get 3 titles per sale. Granted, I went from under a shelf to half of a bookcase of Criterion titles in under a year too. Might be why I cut back so much :D

bread's done
Back