* - - - - 3 votes

GameStop Ad 8/9-8-15

#61 undefyned  

undefyned

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:11 AM

Yeah. Hmmm.  I guess it's safer to add to my account, but I don't want to spend it for any reason until ps5.

Well, I can't cancel.  But there does seem to be buyer protection.  I don't know how well it works, though.

The worry isn't about getting your money taken, paypal should just give it back. The worry is what the person who hacked that account is going to do with your info (name, address, phone, etc.).

Also, most of my orders default to trying to use the gift credit on my Amazon orders. It's annoying to have to uncheck it constantly if I don't want to use it. Might be an option to not default to that, but I've never looked.

#62 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4715 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

The worry isn't about getting your money taken, paypal should just give it back. The worry is what the person who hacked that account is going to do with your info (name, address, phone, etc.).

Also, most of my orders default to trying to use the gift credit on my Amazon orders. It's annoying to have to uncheck it constantly if I don't want to use it. Might be an option to not default to that, but I've never looked.

Ah, I see.  Could be worse, I guess.   I mean, anyone could sell something legit for a buck and collect names too.

re: amazon... hmm.  I guess I could have it sit there, i just see it causing issues if i get $15 in credit and can't use it to buy a game w/o dipping into my 400.

#63 zlatour   Banned Banned   1785 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

Can anyone answer this?

giphy.gif

#64 ChiefBrody1027   40th Anniversary CAG CAGiversary!   1379 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

ChiefBrody1027

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

Yeah. Hmmm. I guess it's safer to add to my account, but I don't want to spend it for any reason until ps5.

Well, I can't cancel. But there does seem to be buyer protection. I don't know how well it works, though.

You'll get your money back but it takes a while. You have to wait till the supposed delivery date, then open a case which then forces you to wait a certain amount of time. Once that date has passed you can get your money back. Roughly two week wait.

#65 United_Korea   Gunpla Addict CAGiversary!   1208 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

United_Korea

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

Ah, I see.  Could be worse, I guess.   I mean, anyone could sell something legit for a buck and collect names too.

re: amazon... hmm.  I guess I could have it sit there, i just see it causing issues if i get $15 in credit and can't use it to buy a game w/o dipping into my 400.

You can choose which credit/payment method to pay with on amazon.

#66 Humble Odin  

Humble Odin

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

Yeah. Hmmm.  I guess it's safer to add to my account, but I don't want to spend it for any reason until ps5.

Well, I can't cancel.  But there does seem to be buyer protection.  I don't know how well it works, though.

It works almost too well, you'll be fine, don't sweat it too much.

#67 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4715 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

You can choose which credit/payment method to pay with on amazon.

Right, but the issue will be I'll do some promo or trade something in and get $20 of credit, then want to preorder some ps4 or vita game that costs $40-60, and burn into the credit.

It works almost too well, you'll be fine, don't sweat it too much.

Thanks for this.  I stressed a bit all night.  It's not a lot of money, but i'm so careful with my gaming budget so it burns.

Sorry for this veering off topic... someone suggested ebay and i had no idea it would take this turn, lol.

#68 undefyned  

undefyned

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

Just a heads up, Amazon has similar issues with fake/hacked selling accounts. You'll see it on almost everything now from kitchen supplies to video games, etc. If a seller has a price that is way below every other seller and it says they "just launched", do not buy from them.

#69 Cnstntidnty  

Cnstntidnty

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

Wonderful thread, really amazing.

#70 Kikyou1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   664 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:40 PM

Got 12 games for the 4F$10. 9 of them where complete and 3 came in those hideous black gamestop cases. I have a printer that can print the covers and glossy paper though so it won't really be a problem. One of the games was also a limited edition version with an art book. I had to pay $6 for shipping but $3.26 for each game is a pretty good price. I'm happy with my purchase.

I can't find quality covers for Remember Me or The Saboteur so I'm gonna have to make my own. But if anyone has printable covers of those two in HQ let me know. Already tried the cover project and vgboxart.

#71 NoOtherOptions   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   967 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

NoOtherOptions

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

Y'all got any of those deals to steal?

#72 TooLegitToQuit  

TooLegitToQuit

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

Then just make sure to uncheck using your gift card balance as payment when you checkout. Easily avoidable. :)

#73 willozsy   CAG Hokage CAGiversary!   1046 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

willozsy

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

It's working for me.

what did you try? I was trying to order the Harry Potter wand TV remote and its not giving me free shipping

#74 ItachiUchiha   Of the Mangekyo Sharingan CAGiversary!   93 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

ItachiUchiha

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

Someone should be fired if they gave you double credit. It's supposed to be 50% bonus for California.

Funnily enough I think that's what happened, but somehow I got more like 75% without being a pro member.

Maybe it's because I like having conversations with the employees? No idea, but it was definitely more than 50% for me :)

BUT when I called in to another location they immediately told me they were doing 50% bonus, so I'm assuming I got lucky somehow? Or just a glitch, which I'm glad happened :)

#75 BlanketFort  

BlanketFort

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

what did you try? I was trying to order the Harry Potter wand TV remote and its not giving me free shipping

That's a Thinkgeek item. Order it on thinkgeek.com to get free shipping. If you're trying to use Gamestop credit, you can also use that on thinkgeek.com

#76 ItachiUchiha   Of the Mangekyo Sharingan CAGiversary!   93 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

ItachiUchiha

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

I converted from Gift Card to Amazon card this past weekend.   $200.  Did not ask first [you never should], just swipe the gift card.

I actually did it twice [two weekends, I felt weird doing it all at once], so now have $400 in Amazon gift cards.  I put them in in an envelope and wrote 'PS5' on it.    I'm stoked.   I know I'll likely hold onto them for like 3 or 4 years, but I'm stoked.

Honestly, I should have done this, but there were a few games I had been waiting for and HAPPENED TO BE ON SALE on psn...

Battlefield 1, Ghost Recon Wildlands, etc

So got tempted into buying them, and with the new Egyptian Assassins Creed coming soon, I couldn't say no lol I love Egyptian mythology/lore, and if I know the Assassins Creed Ubisoft team right, they're going to research the hell out of this.

#77 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   4038 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:11 PM

I actually did it twice [two weekends, I felt weird doing it all at once], so now have $400 in Amazon gift cards.  I put them in in an envelope and wrote 'PS5' on it.    I'm stoked.   I know I'll likely hold onto them for like 3 or 4 years, but I'm stoked.

Was it an actual gift card that you converted to amazon credit, or did you covert GS credit > GS gift card > Amazon gift card? If you did the latter, and your state doesn't charge tax on items purchased using GS credit, you goofed big time and wasted effort, time, and unnecessarily drew attention to that loophole. Amazon charges tax on everything. Really I don't understand why you even converted the gift card credit to amazon, since the PS5 will be available to purchase at GS (whenever it comes out), and the only reason to convert GS credit to amazon credit is to buy stuff that you can't otherwise buy at GS. Seems like you just went in one huge circle.

#78 defgufman   Carl Stucky...pleased to meet you! CAGiversary!   1220 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:17 PM

Was it an actual gift card that you converted to amazon credit, or did you covert GS credit > GS gift card > Amazon gift card? If you did the latter, and your state doesn't charge tax on items purchased using GS credit, you goofed big time and wasted effort, time, and unnecessarily drew attention to that loophole. Amazon charges tax on everything. Really I don't understand why you even converted the gift card credit to amazon, since the PS5 will be available to purchase at GS (whenever it comes out), and the only reason to convert GS credit to amazon credit is to buy stuff that you can't otherwise buy at GS. Seems like you just went in one huge circle.

^^^That

It's irrational just to launder money for a console that will be at GS and if money was left as TIC would at least save you taxes to the man.

#79 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5889 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:19 PM

Maybe he lives in a state where trade credit is taxed or Amazon doesn't charge tax or he doesn't want consoles that have been in the men's bathroom!

#80 Katsumi   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1613 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:55 PM

YMMV of course, but my local Gamestop has a sign up advertising that they'll have stand-alone switches coming "soon." When I asked, all they said was that they are getting 5 units by the 16th and they were first come, first serve. I couldn't help but find it funny.

#81 mig0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:38 AM

What the hell is this "handling method" for shipping which basically eats the $10 savings on refurb consoles...

#82 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4715 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:40 AM

I'd write a nice lengthy response about the reasons I prefer ordering from Amazon, but instead I'll just note that I don't get charged tax on Amazon.  Shocking, I know.

#83 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:47 AM

I'd write a nice lengthy response about the reasons I prefer ordering from Amazon, but instead I'll just note that I don't get charged tax on Amazon.  Shocking, I know.

Lucky. There has been an amazon facility in my state since the early 2000s.

#84 Kyle1022  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:15 AM

Boycotting until blackbeard is unbanned and until CheapyD has a word with a certain power-abusive mod. :)

#85 Kyle1022  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

Aaand the boycott is over. Thanks for stepping in Cheapy

#86 defgufman   Carl Stucky...pleased to meet you! CAGiversary!   1220 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:03 PM

Even better than a new thread.....a restored from the dead thread

#87 Keen314   CAGsiversary! CAGiversary!   985 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

Woo!

#88 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:07 PM

Y'all got any of those deals to steal?

Try Corey in the House. I hear that's hot these days.

#89 rdigit   Banned Banned   655 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

rdigit

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:51 PM

YMMV of course, but my local Gamestop has a sign up advertising that they'll have stand-alone switches coming "soon." When I asked, all they said was that they are getting 5 units by the 16th and they were first come, first serve. I couldn't help but find it funny.

Confirming that date according to a local GS employee I asked. He said last time they were told to keep it secret, but this time they weren't so he's telling everybody that asks.

#90 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1979 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Any trade in deals towards Uncharted, Yakuza, Mario + Rabbids? Seems odd they have no promos on site for those