Xbox 360 console Maintenance

Ibrarito_14

CAG Newbie
I recently got my hands on a 320 GB Star Wars Xbox 360 console and I was wondering what steps what I need to take to keep it running for is long as possible?

Keep it in an open air environment, meaning let it breathe. Don't shove it in the back of an enclosed TV stand with no airflow. Need to keep this thing cool.

I also put 4 of these little rubber feat underneath the console to keep it elevated a bit off my table. 

https://www.amazon.com/HAWORTHS-Bumpers-Self-adhesive-Bumpons-Clear-Cylindrical/dp/B06XWTRC66/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1502923002&sr=8-7&keywords=plastic+stick+on+spacer

Looks like this, can be found at your local Target, Wal-Mart, etc. 

I keep mine horizontal, never did like the vertical stands. 

Any other tips? CAG need to chime in!

i would absolutely break it open and blast it out with some compressed air, from a can, not an air compressor (they have a small amount of moisture that comes out with the air), because all that dust is a heat insulator. it can contribute to overheating. i'd do the same blasting to any orifice i could see/find and would even do the same to the disc drive with the door open. however, right after that i would use a laser lens cleaning disc to get the dust off the laser lens reader.

everything destro suggested is very good as well, though i do think that the vertical position allows for much more airflow and contributes to a cooler running 360, in my tv stand/setup, it's not possible to run vertical.

whatever you do, don't get one of those nyko intercoolers as most of them don't have their own power source. they draw power from the 360, which causes more heat, and some have been known to actually melt to the power input at the rear of the system box.

also, any game you're planning on playing, INSTALL TO THE HARD DRIVE! (not all games can be installed, FIFA 13 for sure and others)! it prevents the disc from spinning up during play, it might still on startup, and no spinning discs means it runs quieter and cooler. both good things.

good luck with the long life on that bad boy

Last edited by a moderator:
Upon further research, apparently not all Xbox 360 games that are installed improve loading times. Here is a list of games that lists the space required to install the games, and the improvement or lack thereof in loading times(via a color coding scheme) when installed. Note that a few games actually have worse loading times when installed.

It is an older thread but the 2nd post mentions that this list has been updated up to July 2017. Also note that not all games can be installed.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/172044-xbox-360-game-install-sizes-and-loading-times-900-games-celebrating-5-years/

Hopefully this will help guide your decision on which games to install and help prolong your optical disc drive as well as improve your load times and the noise output of your Xbox 360 console.

bread's done
Back