Limited Run Games - "You're Limited, No You're Limited" Discussion Thread

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
htz makes a good point.

I think we need a separate thread for this as the main thread is starting to get cluttered up too much, and way too often by these constant derailments of topics not related to the release titles, but to everything else LRG.

Let's just keep all that chatter to here instead.

I'll make sure that the op will have specific instructions that all conversations about that nonsense be directed here so we can keep the deals thread clean.

Use this thread to make points directly to Josh or Doug if you like.

Discuss with other members about practices of LRG.

Discuss scalping, reselling, or whatever else related to making the moneys off LRG.

Feel free to discuss other things related to LRG that doesn't directly relate to the games that are being released, or future releases. 

Basically any non-gaming related LRG discussion, you can put here.

Rework the contracts. No developer is going to say no to more copies of their game being sold.
You should contact LRG directly rather than whining endlessly about reprints in the forums. You're not making any progress by beating this dead horse here, in fact you're cluttering up the LRG thread with tons of pointless garbage. No one here is going to agree with you, but you still continue to beat that dead horse. I'm surprised you didn't get banned for all the garbage you spewed into the thread, you really should have been.

You should contact LRG directly rather than whining endlessly about reprints in the forums. You're not making any progress by beating this dead horse here, in fact you're cluttering up the LRG thread with tons of pointless garbage. No one here is going to agree with you, but you still continue to beat that dead horse. I'm surprised you didn't get banned for all the garbage you spewed into the thread, you really should have been.
What garbage did I spew in the previous thread? I argued my points politely, the only problem was that it was in the wrong forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
What garbage did I spew in the previous thread? I argued my points politely, the only problem was that it was in the wrong forum.
Don't act as if you're the victim, you continued to endlessly rehash the same lame, poorly thought out argument about reprints, long after many people pointed out the problems with that approach. You refused to listen to anyone else and just kept repeating the same garbage over and over. Keep up the same type of garbage in the forums and you will be banned, which actually might be a good thing for everyone.

I don't like ignoring people but this guy is getting close to that...

Let me make it easy for you broke college boy, companies can't please everyone. This is that exact situation, like what was mentioned, when your not broke go and get this reprinted for what ever colluded reasons you have.

I'm pretty sure Doomstink and Doug have been really patient but I'm sure there are a ton of f-bombs dropped around the office with the idiocies that people say. Like every other "limited" product, you win some or you loose some. I didn't get a CE... who cares, life goes on.

Don't act as if you're the victim, you continued to endlessly rehash the same lame, poorly thought out argument about reprints, long after many people pointed out the problems with that approach. You refused to listen to anyone else and just kept repeating the same garbage over and over. Keep up the same type of garbage in the forums and you will be banned, which actually might be a good thing for everyone.
How did I refuse to listen to anyone? I replied to nearly every single post and gave a counterargument. Also, saying something is "poorly thought out" doesn't make it a fact, especially when I provided suitable counterarguments to every single point that was brought up.

Don't do reprints.

Well, it seems we're at an impasse. I think we can end discussions.
They're leaving money on the table by not doing them.

I don't like ignoring people but this guy is getting close to that...

Let me make it easy for you broke college boy, companies can't please everyone. This is that exact situation, like what was mentioned, when your not broke go and get this reprinted for what ever colluded reasons you have.

I'm pretty sure Doomstink and Doug have been really patient but I'm sure there are a ton of f-bombs dropped around the office with the idiocies that people say. Like every other "limited" product, you win some or you loose some. I didn't get a CE... who cares, life goes on.
The products don't have to be so limited that they sell out in minutes and people have only one opportunity to buy them forever. Interested-based reruns would solve these issues and it's an easy solution.

Forlow, you're a cancer. You've been arguing for the sake of arguing for almost a full day and single handedly got the other thread wiped out.

I really don't plan on checking here much at all, but found this when searching for Y's Origin. I didn't want to get this topic started in the other thread and derail it again.

https://twitter.com/limitedrunjosh/status/896177351595364352

Probably the only time I'm going to respond to you...

You do realize that there business depends on games selling out, if customers knew things will be reprinted why would they buy full price?!? Not only that, it gets rid of the whole "limited" aspect of the game. I'm pretty sure they can't sustain a healthy business running on small margins, if that were the case I doubt we would be getting so many releases the way we are. I don't know if they have any sort of mission statement regarding the company but I've read in the thread that they do this to support indie companies and give them an alternative revenue stream which I respect.

People care about limited items, that's what LRG represents even in its name. You don't have to like it but you've clearly beat this one to death ten times over.

This POS wants to say high to you, lots of salt on this one as well.

https://flic.kr/p/Wqpgpi]
35719400763_62fc87f159_c.jpg

Forlow, you're a cancer. You've been arguing for the sake of arguing for almost a full day and single handedly got the other thread wiped out.

I really don't plan on checking here much at all, but found this when searching for Y's Origin. I didn't want to get this topic started in the other thread and derail it again.
I'm called cancer and garbage spewing but I've yet to insult a single person or resort to namecalling. Hmm.

Probably the only time I'm going to respond to you...

You do realize that there business depends on games selling out, if customers knew things will be reprinted why would they buy full price?!? Not only that, it gets rid of the whole "limited" aspect of the game. I'm pretty sure they can't sustain a healthy business running on small margins, if that were the case I doubt we would be getting so many releases the way we are. I don't know if they have any sort of mission statement regarding the company but I've read in the thread that they do this to support indie companies and give them an alternative revenue stream which I respect.

People care about limited items, that's what LRG represents even in its name. You don't have to like it but you've clearly beat this one to death ten times over.

This POS wants to say high to you, lots of salt on this one as well.
Die hard collectors aren't buying the games because they're "limited" in the baseball card style where only so many exist, they're buying them to have a "complete collection" type of deal. LRG specifically markets their releases this way; it's always "This game is LRG-#66 don't miss it, better not have a hole in your collection!" They don't go out of their way to pander and market to the former style of collecting. For example, main releases don't have have individual numbering on them like "This release is LRG #33/500 super duper rare!!!" Those aren't the type of collectors who primarily buy these releases. You're overestimating how many people would legitimately stop buying from LRG if they did reprints. It would not have any major impact on their business because they simply haven't curated towards this type of group.

Literally the only group reprints would hurt are scalpers. And if you base your core business model on scalpers, to the point where it would collapse without them, then I'm not going to support that. Same reason I don't support the ticket scalping websites like Stubhub. Simple as that.

Just for the sake of saying.  On a personal level I wouldn't care if they did reprints as that's not the reason I buy them.  But I understand as to why they don't as it's the only way they could get this model to work in the first place.  Bottom line is I rather a limited printing of these games than no physical copies at all and with the direction the game industry is going in that's pretty much the only choices your going to have.

You simply don't understand their business model. They pretty much give MSRP to the creators and keep the markup. I don't know what pool manufacturering comes from. They give so much back as an incentive to the creators.

For every copy that doesn't sell, it may cancel out the money earned from 5 sales. If they print 1500, and 300 don't sell, they've already lost money. Therefore, there's not an incentive to have more than enough.

Furthermore, they tried preorders. People kept canceling for Silver Case, or see Skullgirls.

Beyond that, if things don't sell out, less people will be interested, and they will end up selling even less, and lose their profits in just one release. Just look at how the amiibo market crashed when they did reprints and how often you could find clearanced amiibo, til the stock tightened again.

If you still can't understand why there is no chance they will do a reprint, my only advice is to stay in school.

You simply don't understand their business model. They pretty much give MSRP to the creators and keep the markup. I don't know what pool manufacturering comes from. They give so much back as an incentive to the creators.

For every copy that doesn't sell, it may cancel out the money earned from 5 sales. If they print 1500, and 300 don't sell, they've already lost money. Therefore, there's not an incentive to have more than enough.

Furthermore, they tried preorders. People kept canceling for Silver Case, or see Skullgirls.
I understand their business model. I'm not advocating or preorders, I don't know why you're insinuating I am.

Beyond that, if things don't sell out, less people will be interested, and they will end up selling even less, and lose their profits in just one release. Just look at how the amiibo market crashed when they did reprints and how often you could find clearanced amiibo, til the stock tightened again.

If you still can't understand why there is no chance they will do a reprint, my only advice is to stay in school.
I already wrote why interest in their releases wouldn't go down with reprints, go read my post above this one.

I think people are misinterpreting what I'm advocating for, so here's my hypothetical plan regarding reprints to make it clear:

• LRG currently suffers from two main issues: their higher profile releases selling out in minutes and fair chunk of their releases being scalped online for 2x the price. People obviously get upset at missing a release and being forced to pay eBay prices for a game they wanted to buy. This instant-sellout, gone-forever business model is arguably turning away customers and disenfranchising current ones.
  • Reprinting higher profile releases and legacy titles, whose prices have skyrocketed, is a solution to both these issues.
  • It would put more copies of the games in the hands of people who want to own them and would undercut scalpers.
  • The problem with straight reprints is how do you determine interest? If a game is reprinting but the demand isn't there, then it's a waste of money obviously.
  • The solution: Use a waitlist/reserve system to gauge interest. For instance, if the threshold of 2000 surpassed for a reprint of Dariusburst then the reprint goes into production. This all but guarantees a sellout.
  • Once the threshold is reached, the reprint goes up for sale like any standard release. Possibly giving priority to those who put themselves on the waitlist.
  • These reprint opportunities would only happen a long awhile after the original release. Several months at the very least.
  • This avoids the issues of reprints happening indiscriminately and potentially ruining the "limited hotness" value of initial printings, as there's no guarantee of reprints. And because of the above, even if there is a reprint it's far into the future.

No one is misinterpreting what you're saying. I mapped out why the entire avenue is closed off.

And your reserve system is a pre-order... It's how Play Asia is doing it.

And again, they can't do reprints. Period. Period. Period.

They would have to keep the rights to print more copies if they do reprints. And those aren't guaranteed, so it'd be a hard sell in the contract.

No one is misinterpreting what you're saying
Considering you keep insinuating I'm advocating for pre-orders, it's pretty clear you misinterpreting what I'm saying.

I mapped out why the entire avenue is closed off.
Can you please show me where? Your last comment simply said they lose money if they don't sell out (which reprints don't have to worry the way I laid it out) and then went on to rant about how pre-orders wouldn't work (which I'm not advocating for at all).

You certainly haven't mapped off why the entire avenue is closed off.

And your reserve system is a pre-order... It's how Play Asia is doing it.
It's not a pre-order system, it's a waitlist/gauge system. There's no money being put down, it's simply there to gauge interest and probably send out emails to those who were put on it stating when the release comes out.

And again, they can't do reprints. Period. Period. Period.
Why not? You keep saying this is impossible but refuse give any specific reason, especially one that provides a counterargument as to why my system wouldn't work.

I'm done trying to explain, like everyone else. You have the density of lead.
You've repeatedly misinterpreted what I've said to misconstruct your own argument, danced around every point I've brought up, and now refuse to engage in any reasonable conversation.

It's clear you have no actual counterargument to any of the points I've brought up. There's no point in engaging with you if you're just going to ad hominem the shit out of me. Because that's all you've done.

Lol - frolow, since you've clearly uncovered a fool proof, apparently never before conceived business model that will outdo every publisher in this five decades old gaming industry, instead of wasting your amazing intellect on this lowly site among us plebians, just go out and make your billions.

Lol - frolow, since you've clearly uncovered a fool proof, apparently never before conceived business model that will outdo every publisher in this five decades old gaming industry, instead of wasting your amazing intellect on this lowly site among us plebians, just go out and make your billions.
Another ad hominem. How about actually trying to explain why my system is bad instead of insulting me?

People, don't try to reason with frolow, he will simply ignore the most obvious flaws in his poorly-constructed arguments, and claim that no one is listening to his brilliant ideas. He will never understand the reasons for LRG's company model, and there's no need to waste any more time debating with someone who clearly has no clue about anything in the gaming industry. Just ignore him and maybe someday he'll finally go away (if he isn't banned first).

People, don't try to reason with frolow, he will simply ignore the most obvious flaws in his poorly-constructed arguments, and claim that no one is listening to his brilliant ideas. He will never understand the reasons for LRG's company model, and there's no need to waste any more time debating with someone who clearly has no clue about anything in the gaming industry. Just ignore him and maybe someday he'll finally go away (if he isn't banned first).
Can you please show me the posts that are pointing out flaws in my idea that I haven't been able to give a proper rebuttals for?

Most of the posts in this thread are people personally attacking me and dismissing my arguments with ad hominems (such as this one, with additional whining at the end calling for me to get banned) or with vague statements saying I don't "understand their business model" with no reasoning as to how or why.

I think people are misinterpreting what I'm advocating for, so here's my hypothetical plan regarding reprints to make it clear:
I feel this is a pretty important point that needs to be recognized. It's all hypothetical, and you do not know if it will work; however, instead of consistently saying it's a suggesting, and saying that it should work, you've implied as such that you know it will work. Having used words like "clear and obvious", and you "know" for a fact of what developers want along with some other claims, really just appears to be self-serving and does not help others want to further the conversation.

Many of your responses have also been rather smug, and to be perfectly honest, a bit pompous at times. Now I know you might want to say, well, other people started it first, yet, you're certainly not helping the situation neither in responding to them in a manner that doesn't involve saying that you're always right, and everyone else is always wrong. In all fairness to you, you've had moments where you made some good points, but you've also had more moments where you were acting rather obtuse, and instead of responding with an argument, you just goad them into having more incoherent arguments that lead nowhere. And just to be clear, I'm not trying to be a dick here, but this is just what I've been observing, and my opinion on the interactions you've had with people in the previous thread, and even now, this thread.

It seems you want to have a conversation, but at times, you really limit yourself from having a proper one as a result of many of the actions and behavior pointed out above. Take it with a grain of salt if you like, but I do think a conversation can be had in regards to your points, so here goes.

And just remember, these are opinions, and some based off of previous conversations with LRG staff, so some of the information provided as evidence is because of those conversations.

• LRG currently suffers from two main issues: their higher profile releases selling out in minutes and fair chunk of their releases being scalped online for 2x the price. People obviously get upset at missing a release and being forced to pay eBay prices for a game they wanted to buy. This instant-sellout, gone-forever business model is arguably turning away customers and disenfranchising current ones.
My main qualm with this specific point is the way you are portraying this particular issue as an issue for LRG.

Firstly, the issue of resellers scalping their games for 2x the price. Here's my thinking with this particular issue. So what? Is this really a problem for LRG, or is it more of a problem for us as the consumers? Also, what proportion of these games relative to the total count of the games that they've sold? I'm not sure that this can really be called an issue/problem when there is not a significant number of them being sold when compared to the overall numbers of people who purchased them from their store directly. I just don't really see this as anywhere close to high priority when it comes to fixing their system.

Now, I can also see part of the argument that it may be turning away customers because of the current model they have, particularly for more popular titles. However, you've noted yourself; "arguably" turning away customers is different than actually turning away customers. The real question is whether those customers that have been turning away have really affected the releases. So far, it's not clear if it's really had any impact at all. As long as the games keep selling out, it's hard to say that this is an issue that needs to be addressed immediately. We may all make noise on forums, and complain when these things happen, but it's clear much of it is more blusters, than action.

I just don't feel this is really a problem that needs to be addressed as it doesn't appear to have any direct impact on their business yet, and nor is there evidence of it other than "what that guy said on a forum".

• Reprinting higher profile releases and legacy titles, whose prices have skyrocketed, is a solution to both these issues.
Personally, I am one of the people that would not appreciate this idea because I originally bought the titles knowing they would not be reprinted by LRG. As was brought up before in the previous thread as well, there may, and probably will be backlash from many as it relates to this matter. Just because you wouldn't mind, does not mean others wouldn't either. From a PR standpoint, I do believe that this will also have consequences if there is a reprint as many of us were under the assumption they would never be. Of course, there may be a balancing out from the new customers that will be brought in with this suggestion as well, so it's not completely without it's benefit in theory. But again, saying that it's a solution would still be implying that there was a problem in the first place, and as explained above, I don't believe it is a problem for LRG, but just for those of us who are sick of seeing the listings on eBay at inflated prices.

• It would put more copies of the games in the hands of people who want to own them and would undercut scalpers.
A combination of the first point, and the second point. Let's use this assumption, and use Shantae (both versions) as an example. Counting up all of the copies on eBay, there is a total of 76 copies of the game sold out of 12,000 copies. Now we make a rough estimate of the people that bought two copies, and count them as a single customer, let's say 70% of the total inventory was sold as two copies (one of each Shantae) per transaction, so that leaves us with 4200 customers that bought two copies, and 3600 customers that bought one copy, which totals to 7800 separate transactions. Now let's account for the copies that were sold on eBay, and are currently listed, and scale that to the total number of separate transactions, and what we end up with is less than 1 percent of the total quantity was not put into the hands of people who missed out on the sale. Just going off the numbers alone, I don't feel this is really a concern that should be all that important to LRG, as their margin for error is extremely low in regards to making sure all the people that were there that day got a copy, and a significant amount doesn't go to scalpers/resellers.

Of course, the argument of, "well, it's clearly not meeting demand, and they're leaving money on the table" is still there. But just refer to the first point (on the list of your points that is) I made about what I believe constitutes an issue/problem, and what we can see for ourselves after each sale day/weekend as evidence to what is success.

• The problem with straight reprints is how do you determine interest? If a game is reprinting but the demand isn't there, then it's a waste of money obviously.
Agreed. I mean, they already have issues determining their regular releases, so can you imagine how hard it will be for them to mull this one over, lol? And remember, you are not them. Even if it's clear to you, it does not mean they're going to think the way you do, nor should they have to. It's their decisions, and I feel it should be respected, even if you don't appreciate it. This is another one of those things that I felt was lacking in many of your responses, and the consistency of your positions previously, and now.

• The solution: Use a waitlist/reserve system to gauge interest. For instance, if the threshold of 2000 surpassed for a reprint of Dariusburst then the reprint goes into production. This all but guarantees a sellout.
  • Once the threshold is reached, the reprint goes up for sale like any standard release. Possibly giving priority to those who put themselves on the waitlist.
So I guess I am still unsure exactly what you mean by this, as in the previous thread you actually did mention the word "pre-order" when you talked about this, so it did happen before just for the record, even though you are now saying it's not.

But I think I need to get a bit more clarification on this from you since you are now saying it's not a pre-order system.

I mean, reserve system means pre-order system, so maybe that word isn't the best word, but I am curious as to the waitlist proposal you brought up.

Is this something that is informal, or what is it exactly? If it's something that doesn't require people to lock, or put something towards the possible production of the product, then that sounds like something similar to a crowdfunding program, which sort of deviates from their core business model anyways, so they'd be hardpressed to want to pursue something like this, not to mention the people that hates these types of projects to begin with, and the backlash you will get from there. Again, I think I need some clarification on this a bit more because I'm not understanding if this is something informal, or something that will actually hold people accountable once they hit those numbers.

• These reprint opportunities would only happen a long awhile after the original release. Several months at the very least.
  • This avoids the issues of reprints happening indiscriminately and potentially ruining the "limited hotness" value of initial printings, as there's no guarantee of reprints. And because of the above, even if there is a reprint it's far into the future.
There's one thing that you keep countering with when someone notes that it's already in their contracts, and I believe your response is to just renegotiate the contract. Going back to the very beginning, we are starting to get into the whole hypothetical to reality portion of the discussion now. You keep making it sound so simple to just renegotiate a contract, and people will just do it without any issue. Even if you believe you can walk into the room, and tell them you want a different contract, it does not mean that it will happen.

You also don't know exactly what was written in the contract to begin with. What if there is a clause in there that prevents them from renegotiating any contracts, or something written in there that would penalize them in doing so? What would the developers need to renegotiate the contract? What if during the renegotiation of the contracts there is a dispute as to the split of the revenues from the reprinted copies? You don't know what is in the contract, and nor do we, outside of the specific clauses that have already been mentioned by LRG in the other thread. While you may suggest it as a possibility, and I hate to keep going back to the first point, but it's really the way you keep suggesting it that irked me a bit, and I believe others as well. To make it sound like it's so easy to do is just disrespectful to what they're doing, and frankly, to everyone else that had ever had to do this as well.

Well, started to ramble on a bit too long with some of these points, so I'll try to make the final ones a bit shorter.

If I remember correctly from the previous discussions in the other thread, you did mention things like it's okay to have extra inventory on hand to just sell, and it's fine if things are around for a month as long as it sells out.

Let's take this into account, LRG is not a large operation. LRG staffing in shipping is still considered a small operation as they just have some people doing the shipping every so often whenever there are units that needs to go out. They are not a retailer, and they don't have a large warehouse to hold too many things. They still work out of a relatively small space, which is basically just office space, and not indicative of a larger operation like Play-Asia where they have a warehouse readily available for storing merchandise.

In scaling up the inventory to be sold, there will also be significant increases in the overhead costs. They will need to hire more people to readily ship things on a regular basis, rather than calling them in mainly during releases, and when merchandise arrives. Shipping out the merchandise as they receive them will save space, and not require them to have to possibly move to a bigger place in order to accommodate the extra merch they are receiving, particularly if some of them are sitting there.

At the end of the day, overhead needs to be taken into account because they are not a retailer, and can't just upscale their transactions unless these things are also taken into account. I remember what a nightmare it was at first when they started to really pick up in sales, and it took them FOREVER to figure out a good shipping team to go with, and even then, still has its hiccups.

It does sound like you may have abandoned this point since there's the waitlist idea, but thought I'd respond to that one anyways since it was brought up several times already.

At the end of the day, many of these things are just hypotheticals, and should be consistently treated as such. Once we start portraying these suggestions and ideas as facts and omniscience, I feel there is where thing start to get a bit muddled and incoherent again.

I welcome discussing this further, and would like to hear more clarification on certain ideas you mentioned as I mentioned above.

*end wall of text*

LRG will not reprint games period, so asking them to is wasting your time.  However, if you really want to see specific titles reprinted start spamming the developers of those said titles and asking for a physical reprint.  Per their contracts with LRG they are able to reprint anytime they want.  They will just need to find another publisher to do so.  I can actually see popular titles like the Shantae games getting a reprint down the road with a place like Fangamer, if there is enough interest.

I mean, the reprint discussion starts and ends with the fact that we could be sued for false advertising. There's not really much discussion beyond this. Even if we wanted to reprint games, we said we never would and we advertised that fact. I'd rather not get sued.

There's also a matter of trust - if customers can't trust what we say or the promises we make, our business will quickly crumble. We gave customers our word and we have to stick to that. There are plenty of other routes for our partners to take to do their own reprints.

Real quick I just want to thank Squarehard and Doomsink for being reasonable and engaging in discussion, I'll respond to Squarehard's post when I have the time later. Leaps and bounds better than most everyone else in this thread acting like children in a clique.

I mean, the reprint discussion starts and ends with the fact that we could be sued for false advertising. There's not really much discussion beyond this.
To be honest, I think that's a cop-out answer. I fail to see how it's false advertising in the first place. Yes, the main releases are marketed as "limited", but not in the sports card style when they're so purposefully rare, they're individually numbered with that being their main draw. It's not like you're printing more copies of a CE that's purposefully marketed as having only X in existence and is numbered to say so.

The reprints would still be considered "limited" in the same sense as every other main release. In the example I provided before, the Dariusburst reprint would have a run limited to 2000 copies. It would still be a "limited run", LRG would profit for less work than a main release, people get the opportunity to own a release they missed out on, and it undercuts scalpers. That's a win for everyone.

And honestly, do you legitimately believe someone will sue for doing reprints? Some elitist collectors and scalpers might get upset, but not even close to the degree of a lawsuit. Considering all the actually shady shit the video game industry at large pulls with legitimate false advertising in trailers, and the fact that nobody has tried to sue them, I find it hard to believe.

Even if we wanted to reprint games, we said we never would and we advertised that fact. I'd rather not get sued.
Do you guys advertise that fact? There's a small blurb on the website's about page, but nothing on the pages for game releases (which is what the majority of people click on). Only a plain message stating "Standard edition is limited to X copies available worldwide". No extravagant details about this release being your only opportunity to buy the game from LRG ever (and likely the only opportunity to buy a physical copy of the game ever). Nothing parading the purposeful lack of reprints. The lack of them definitely isn't a large part of the marketing (unless you want to get into semantics about the name of the company itself).

That leads into my next point: I honestly doubt most hardcore collectors would even get upset at reprints in the first place. If I were to give a list of demographics of people who buy from LRG, it would look something like this:

1. Collectors who buy every release because they're going for a complete collection
  2. People who legitimately want to play the game and/or own a physical copy of a game they like. (Can be mixed with the first group depending on the release)
  3. Scalpers.
The vast majority of people aren't buying from LRG because only so many copies exist. It fuels the speculative nature behind releases sure, but it's not close to being the main reason why people buy.

There's also a matter of trust - if customers can't trust what we say or the promises we make, our business will quickly crumble. We gave customers our word and we have to stick to that. There are plenty of other routes for our partners to take to do their own reprints.
Like I said before, the lack of reprints isn't exactly paraded around as a big marketing thing besides the name. You can't exactly break a promise when it barely exists in the eyes of most in the first place. LRG would probably gain more positive PR from reprinting sought-after games and undercutting scalpers than any potential blowback from doing reprints.

To sum up, I don't think you risk significant pushback from doing reprints. I think you are constraining yourself by keeping to this uber-limited mantra in regards to reprints instead. Adhering to this rule so diligently only serves to fuel the speculative market and give more ammunition to scalpers (who people constantly complain about). Catering primarily towards crowd goes against why me and many others supported this LRG in the first place; to own and preserve digital games through physical media. And I think you risk losing customers if this push towards the speculative side continues, or at the very least the customers who helped LRG grow into what it is today

Real quick I just want to thank Squarehard and Doomsink for being reasonable and engaging in discussion, I'll respond to Squarehard's post when I have the time later. Leaps and bounds better than most everyone else in this thread acting like children in a clique.

To be honest, I think that's a cop-out answer. I fail to see how it's false advertising in the first place. Yes, the main releases are marketed as "limited", but not in the sports card style when they're so purposefully rare, they're individually numbered with that being their main draw. It's not like you're printing more copies of a CE that's purposefully marketed as having only X in existence and is numbered to say so.
The reprints would still be considered "limited" in the same sense as every other main release. In the example I provided before, the Dariusburst reprint would have a run limited to 2000 copies. It would still be a "limited run", LRG would profit for less work than a main release, people get the opportunity to own a release they missed out on, and it undercuts scalpers. That's a win for everyone.

And honestly, do you legitimately believe someone will sue for doing reprints? Some elitist collectors and scalpers might get upset, but not even close to the degree of a lawsuit. Considering all the actually shady shit the video game industry at large pulls with legitimate false advertising in trailers, and the fact that nobody has tried to sue them, I find it hard to believe.

Do you guys advertise that fact? There's a small blurb on the website's about page, but nothing on the pages for game releases (which is what the majority of people click on). Only a plain message stating "Standard edition is limited to X copies available worldwide". No extravagant details about this release being your only opportunity to buy the game from LRG ever (and likely the only opportunity to buy a physical copy of the game ever). Nothing parading the purposeful lack of reprints. The lack of them definitely isn't a large part of the marketing (unless you want to get into semantics about the name of the company itself).

That leads into my next point: I honestly doubt most hardcore collectors would even get upset at reprints in the first place. If I were to give a list of demographics of people who buy from LRG, it would look something like this:

• Collectors who buy every release because they're going for a complete collection
  • People who legitimately want to play the game and/or own a physical copy of a game they like. (Can be mixed with the first group depending on the release)
  • Scalpers.
The vast majority of people aren't buying from LRG because only so many copies exist. It fuels the speculative nature behind releases sure, but it's not close to being the main reason why people buy.

Like I said before, the lack of reprints isn't exactly paraded around as a big marketing thing besides the name. You can't exactly break a promise when it barely exists in the eyes of most in the first place. LRG would probably gain more positive PR from reprinting sought-after games and undercutting scalpers than any potential blowback from doing reprints.

To sum up, I don't think you risk significant pushback from doing reprints. I think you are constraining yourself by keeping to this uber-limited mantra in regards to reprints instead. Adhering to this rule so diligently only serves to fuel the speculative market and give more ammunition to scalpers (who people constantly complain about). Catering primarily towards crowd goes against why me and many others supported this LRG in the first place; to own and preserve digital games through physical media. And I think you risk losing customers if this push towards the speculative side continues, or at the very least the customers who helped LRG grow into what it is today
Quoted to preserve post from altering/deletion. Sad that some people self-destruct like this, and just continue to beat the dead horse.

"At Limited Run Games our releases truly are limited. Once a game sells out, it will never be available from us again! We believe that as collectors and consumers you should be able to trust when we say our games are limited. They are!"

Literally word for word from the about us page. Holy shit you are dense kid.

"At Limited Run Games our releases truly are limited. Once a game sells out, it will never be available from us again! We believe that as collectors and consumers you should be able to trust when we say our games are limited. They are!"

Literally word for word from the about us page. Holy shit you are dense kid.
Maybe if you read the post you would know I mentioned this.

Quoted to preserve post from altering/deletion. Sad that some people self-destruct like this, and just continue to beat the dead horse.
If you have nothing to contribute you should step away from this discussion, adults are speaking.

Maybe if you read the post you would know I mentioned that.
It's a statement that clearly makes a promise that they won't reprint titles which you are ignoring conveniently saying it's "a small blurb". That is a textbook example of false advertising, they would be facing exposure regardless of the fact it's not printed in 30" tall letters. I'm calling you dense because you read it yourself, mentioned it, then completely dismissed it.

Part of running a business is being intelligent, whether someone would win the case or not it costs money to defend and the stress associated is never worth it. I'd guess you are probably 20ish years old and very full of energy and righteousness but that isn't how the real world works.

It's a statement that clearly makes a promise that they won't reprint titles which you are ignoring conveniently saying it's "a small blurb". That is a textbook example of false advertising, they would be facing exposure regardless of the fact it's not printed in 30" tall letters. I'm calling you dense because you read it yourself, mentioned it, then completely dismissed it.

Part of running a business is being intelligent, whether someone would win the case or not it costs money to defend and the stress associated is never worth it. I'd guess you are probably 20ish years old and very full of energy and righteousness but that isn't how the real world works.
It does make that promise, I'm not arguing with you there. It still is a small blurb though, it's on an about page which, realistically, 95% of people aren't going to read or know about. The point is LRG doesn't go out of their way to shout this fact from the high heavens, it's not a big reason people buy their releases. There would be little blowback because of this.

You're also ignoring the point I brought up about the game industry at large committing actual false advertisement with trailers and never getting sued. If something that's legitimately and blatantly illegal has resulted in zero game companies getting sued, then LRG can easily (and legally) back away from a small mission statement on their website. They are at no credible risk of getting sued. If you are absolutely and utterly avoidant of the most minuscule amount of risk, then change the mission statement and only apply the reprint policy to games released after the fact.

It does make that promise, I'm not arguing with you there. It still is a small blurb though, it's on an about page which, realistically, 95% of people aren't going to read or know about. The point is LRG doesn't go out of their way to shout this fact from the high heavens, it's not a big reason people buy their releases. There would be little blowback because of this.

You're also ignoring the point I brought up about the game industry at large committing actual false advertisement with trailers and never getting sued. If something that's legitimately and blatantly illegal has resulted in zero game companies getting sued, then LRG can easily (and legally) back away from a small mission statement on their website. They are at no credible risk of getting sued. If you are absolutely and utterly avoidant of the most minuscule amount of risk, then change the mission statement and only apply the reprint policy to games released after the fact.
The game industry at large isn't a tiny company with minimal resources. EA can say whatever they want, you want to sue them? They will swat you like a gnat in a heartbeat. No offense to Josh but unless they became wildly capitalized sometime in the recent past I'd bet they don't have major liquidity to defend against a suit or suits. Nor do most small businesses for that matter.

I really don't think you are grasping the tenacity(maybe ferocity would be a better word?) that people have about rare items. Look at how angry people are getting that they missed out on the shiny...now imagine that six months from now LRG says "whoops, JK we are making 10,000 more!". You would have an equally violent reaction from the people who bought it and now consider it to be worthless. Manufacturers have been sued for things like this in the past by the way, it's not a unique situation.

Most importantly though, Josh already said no in this very thread. Let's ignore the lawsuit point, Josh said he feels it's a breach of trust. Can you posit a counter argument to that based on anything but your own opinion and feelings? Because if it's yours against the boss, the boss always wins...

The reprints would still be considered "limited" in the same sense as every other main release. In the example I provided before, the Dariusburst reprint would have a run limited to 2000 copies. It would still be a "limited run",
I wouldn't necessarily say that it's a cop out answer, but more just stating it is what it is. When you say "a cop-out answer", is that referencing that it's not the answer to a problem, or saying that it's a inadequate response to your question? Mainly just trying to get clarification so I can understand exactly what you mean. I mean, I do understand that you like to compare this to other things as you've done so previously, but while it's fine to use things as examples, I don't believe it's fair to equate apples to oranges, mainly in reference to your collector cards comparison. I mean, I understand it too as I used to collect cards quite religiously back in the early 90s when they were still the shit, but I still have large hesitation to use that as an example.

I think a more comparable, or more recent example I can think of is something like the Retro City Rampage DX reprint from months ago. That was a title that was reprinted with what you are noting, and more comparable than trying to match it to a completely different product line, and collector's community. Now, yes that RCR DX reprint also sold out eventually, so in this example it does show that it can be done without too much backlash, and all the other caveats I have mentioned before in regards to outcry. However, it's a bit different in that case because one of the main things is that the structure of the development/publishing are different. With the way LRG have things in place on paper, it'd be a bit harder for them to have to go back and forth on the decision making with the developers to work things out again. Could it be easy? Maybe. Could it be difficult? Maybe as well. Here are the things they know. It's in the contract. That's what they advertised. Everything else is more assumption than based on evidence, so I feel in this case they're trying to err on the side of caution, other than going through with it.

LRG would profit for less work than a main release, people get the opportunity to own a release they missed out on, and it undercuts scalpers. That's a win for everyone.
But the real question here I believe is do they need to? And I feel this is really important too. What are the repercussions if they don't do it? Are there any significant ones that's going to be a problem to them, or still more of a problem for the consumer? I feel if we take the idea of LRG making more money out of this comment, the underlying issues that are present doesn't really seem like much of an issue to LRG from a business standpoint, and it just does not feel like a necessity to me.

I mean, people can sue for anything, so I wouldn't necessarily say that so concretely as it'd never happen. ;D Of course, it probably wouldn't, but the real question here is why would they need to risk it to do this? Just as I mentioned above, if we continue to work under the assumption that LRG does not need to make more money outside of what they already have in place; what is really left? I'm not sure I'm really down with the analogy you used again either, comparing LRG to video game industry trailers, and what they advertise. I'm not sure if you have an actual example you can give of false advertising for a video game though, so if you have one you can think of off the top of your head that might be helpful in understanding you what you're trying to say, just to clarify that is because I can't think of one myself. If any of the examples you give are from larger companies, I think one thing that could be argued for that as well is the difference between LRG's operation size, compared to some of the larger companies.

And even though this is not something I have personal experience, I am not sure it's correct to claim that video game companies have not been sued as a result of the videos/trailers they've posted on games. Companies can get sued without the actual case going public. There are undisclosed settlements that can be done, and because they are undisclosed, we don't know. There's just a lot we don't know about whether or not this does happen in the industry, so I don't think it's fair to make this claim without adequate evidence to support it.

They may only have a small blurb of that on their website, but as well all know in this current age, what they've said publicly can easily be seen as evidence of them "advertising" the fact that things are truly limited. Even though it's not stated on their website, they've stated it on a multitude of forums they wouldn't, they've stated it on Twitter extensively that they wouldn't, they've stated it at conventions and conferences that they wouldn't, and they stated it in their contracts that they wouldn't. While there is only a small blurb on their website, their range of advertising is much more far reaching than just what is listed on their website.

I mean, isn't this one of the strengths of LRG, and that is in the accessibility of its owners, staff, and others that are so readily, and willing to be as transparent as they can be on these matters? Although, in this particular scenario you've mentioned, it may have hurt them from that particular aspect, more so than helped.

1. Collectors who buy every release because they're going for a complete collection
  2. People who legitimately want to play the game and/or own a physical copy of a game they like. (Can be mixed with the first group depending on the release)
  3. Scalpers.
To be honest, I feel that two out of those three groups would actually be upset for a variety of reasons.

Collectors themselves can be upset for a couple of reasons. Personally, as I've stated before about my own feelings of reprints, I don't really like them, particularly when the item was advertised as limited. Sort of reminds me of the way NISA has been sneaking in reprints of their Limited Editions, and also more mainstream, the way that Nintendo have been doing it for awhile now with their standard edition games, and making them the same. Of course, these aren't the perfect comparisons, as the one above on RCR DX would probably be the closest comparison, but just the idea in it of itself irks me for sure, and I'd assume others as well.

There is also something that collectors like to complain about, which doesn't happen as often, but is still a complain I've seen from time to time so I'll just put it here even if it may not be the most applicable, but it's the idea of making it difficult for collectors to have a complete collections when they keep coming out with different editions of games, including different cover variants, and what not. I mean, even in the thread now, we always seem people complaint about cover variants, and in many of these cases it's not even a valid complaint since the variant is just the sealed version of the game with the cover art flipped inside out. If collectors will get irked by something like that, this will more than likely just add on to that as well.

Scalpers, well, clearly they wouldn't like it because of the decrease in value of their flips.

The group of people that just want to play the game and own it is a bit more hazy from my perspective, because those who would really want to play it, would probably be less inclined to need to own it, as many of these games are already available digitally, and if they really want to play it, they can just go that route. Many of the people who want to own it may also start to fall under the collectors group, which seems to be a better fit.

So two out of the three groups you mentioned would have cause to be upset with the reprints. One of the groups that will probably not be upset is unclear as to what proportion they actually make up from the total number of customers of the potential pool of people. If we were do just do this as a majority, it'd be easier to say more people would have cause to be upset, over people who might not be, so in this case, it would not be worth it for them to do so.

Of course, all hypothetical anyways, and lot of assumptions, so take it as you will. :p

Still feels more like assumption than fact. I don't know the answer whether this is true or not, nor if I'm even able to argue for the other point. The only thing I know is that LRG has a model, and they're selling out the games. Who the people that are buying them shouldn't be relevant to their final sales number. It would be nice to have demographics behind their sales number, but since there is no way to actually figure this out, it's hard to understand the main reason (there could be several) why LRG games are so desirable. Even LRG wouldn't have these numbers, but what they do have is the business model they've created, and promoted, and as long as that is helping to drive the sales they've made, they can make the connection that the majority of their sales are because of their model, unless proven otherwise with concrete evidence to the contrary.

Much of what I've said above at several points, and the previous post I feel can be applied to this as well. The PR could go both ways, and depending on which way it goes, it may or may not work out for them. I don't believe many people don't buy games from LRG just because there are scalpers. They don't buy their games from a multitude of reasons, some of the reasons you have included as well in the past, but there are also other reasons we are just not privy to that we can claim as fact. No matter how much PR they gain for doing something right, there's a continuum of things that they can do, or can happen that can quickly put them back in the red. It's really a battle of showing contrition to the issues that have occurred, rather than selling themselves down the river to fix the issue, and I believe this is what LRG has done quite adequately with the way they interact with us here, and others elsewhere. Checks and balances, that's what's important.

No need to continue to drone on as I've already done that quite a bit above. Just to close, from my perspective, I just don't feel they need to do it. Could they do it? Yes. Will they do it? Probably not. Do they have to do it to stay in business? Nothing right now indicates this is the state they are in. Even using the RCR DX example, it's just a different structure from a developer/publishing perspective, and isn't a perfect translation to a system such as LRG, even if they could try to emulate, they wouldn't need to for now.

I do remember there were many conversations in the previous thread that you did state that the reasons you brought many of these things up was due to the worry that it could not be sustained. However, from what we've seen in the past, and what we've seen recently, it is being sustained, and there is nothing to say that it can't be other than assuming it can't. I think it's always good to plan ahead, but it's easier to plan ahead with things that you have evidence of that has been successful, than to plan ahead with evidence from other companies that may or may not fit your own plans. I mean, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt too that they have something else planned as well if things do start to look unsustainable, but it doesn't have to necessarily be this plan. I don't really remember why this popped up in my head from that last conversation, but thought I just put my two cents in on this as well since I'm already starting to become delirious from all this text on my screen.

Anyways....DONE...for now... :p

Seriously, this debate is over. Like reapertoll said, you have the rare instance here of the actual company coming on here to say they won't breach their promise. End of argument.

Also, frolow, if you think the promise on their about us page is a "small blurb," you know nothing about the law. As an attorney, I can tell you companies get sued for a lot less than even that. Given the broad liabilities under most states' consumer fraud laws, and the sheer number of lawyer sharks and predatory lawsuits, I could almost guarantee LRG would be sued if they started doing reprints.

It's just the kind of world businesses live in. It's not new, and Josh and most sensible, practical people know this. Get with the times, man.

Most companies like the size of LRG are one lawsuit away from bankruptcy. Being conservative and risk adverse in that environment is smart business.

Rather than continue to pontificate like some know it all, if you think you know better, do the business yourself. You're not persuading anyone here.

What you are doing, however, is affirming everyone's negative characterization of you as "dense" and frankly, at this point, just trolling for desperate attention.

The game industry at large isn't a tiny company with minimal resources. EA can say whatever they want, you want to sue them? They will swat you like a gnat in a heartbeat. No offense to Josh but unless they became wildly capitalized sometime in the recent past I'd bet they don't have major liquidity to defend against a suit or suits. Nor do most small businesses for that matter.
Class-actions exist for a reason. Obviously EA has significantly bigger resources, doesn't prevent from getting sued. This is a moot point regardless, I already said LRG is at no credible threat of being sued. And if you're absolutely avoidant change the statement and only apply it to releases after.

I really don't think you are grasping the tenacity(maybe ferocity would be a better word?) that people have about rare items. Look at how angry people are getting that they missed out on the shiny...now imagine that six months from now LRG says "whoops, JK we are making 10,000 more!". You would have an equally violent reaction from the people who bought it and now consider it to be worthless. Manufacturers have been sued for things like this in the past by the way, it's not a unique situation.
Perhaps I am underestimating it a bit, but I still don't believe it's enough to cause blowback significant enough to impact their business. I don't recall people getting upset when PlayAsia did a more plentiful release of Söldner-X and subsequently complaining that their copies would now be worth less.

Fact is, big releases sell out in minutes and smaller ones over the course of a day/few days. If this potential backlash causes big releases to last a few minutes longer and smaller ones to last a few more days before selling out, I think that's acceptable. Especially considering the money from reprints themselves would mitigate.

Most importantly though, Josh already said no in this very thread. Let's ignore the lawsuit point, Josh said he feels it's a breach of trust. Can you posit a counter argument to that based on anything but your own opinion and feelings? Because if it's yours against the boss, the boss always wins...
Well of course not because that's impossible, an argument is inherently tied to someone's opinion.

It is my opinion that this push towards the speculative side of the market is not the right direction for the company. I think they would be much better off if they didn't pander to this crowd as much as they do and instead were more liberal with aspects such as reprints. I'm arguing for this opinion.

Class-actions exist for a reason. Obviously EA has significantly bigger resources, doesn't prevent from getting sued. This is a moot point regardless, I already said LRG is at no credible threat of being sued. And if you're absolutely avoidant change the statement and only apply it to releases after.

Perhaps I am underestimating it a bit, but I still don't believe it's enough to cause blowback significant enough to impact their business. I don't recall people getting upset when PlayAsia did a more plentiful release of Söldner-X and people bitching their copies would not be worth less. Fact is, big releases sell out in minutes and smaller ones over the course of a day/few days. If this potential backlash causes big releases to last a few minutes longer and smaller ones to last a few more days before selling out, I think that's acceptable. Especially considering the money from reprints themselves would mitigate.

Well of course not because that's impossible, an argument is inherently tied to someone's opinion.

It is my opinion that this push towards the speculative side of the market is not the right direction for the company. I think they would be much better off if they didn't pander to this crowd as much as they do and instead were more liberal with aspects such as reprints. I'm arguing for this opinion.
And Josh's opinion is that it won't happen.So what's the point when he told you his opinion is that it's unworkable? Do you honestly believe you know the business and industry better than he does, or just his business to the point you can change his mind?

That's a real question by the way, I'm not trying to put you down.

Perhaps I am underestimating it a bit, but I still don't believe it's enough to cause blowback significant enough to impact their business. I don't recall people getting upset when PlayAsia did a more plentiful release of Söldner-X and subsequently complaining that their copies would now be worth less.
Not going to write too much again since I need a break, lol.

I don't feel this is a great example though since the Soldner release from Play-Asia is not a NA release, so from a collector standpoint, that would take a lot of people out of the equation, or at least a fair portion as the majority of the collectors are likely in the US, and does care to have a completely full Vita English set, and just the full NA release set.

I'm not sure how often you visit the Vita thread itself, but in that thread while people do buy other releases, the bulk of the collectors that want a full set are mainly interested in just the NA releases.

The ones who want to buy Soldner from PA are mainly the ones that fall into your category of just wanting to play the game, which I think why there wasn't that backlash from collectors, but appreciation from regular gamers. I think RCR DX is probably still the closest example I can think of recently.

Just to play devil's advocate though, Soldner still have some stock left even though it's been out for awhile (albeit it sold out of the main stock, and the remaining looks like the extra stock that were marked for replacement), so if we used this to gauge if the reprint would sell adequately, it would be no. Of course, in my opinion this was not a good example anyways, so just food for thought, lol. ;P

I wouldn't necessarily say that it's a cop out answer, but more just stating it is what it is. When you say "a cop-out answer", is that referencing that it's not the answer to a problem, or saying that it's a inadequate response to your question? Mainly just trying to get clarification so I can understand exactly what you mean. I mean, I do understand that you like to compare this to other things as you've done so previously, but while it's fine to use things as examples, I don't believe it's fair to equate apples to oranges, mainly in reference to your collector cards comparison. I mean, I understand it too as I used to collect cards quite religiously back in the early 90s when they were still the shit, but I still have large hesitation to use that as an example.

I think a more comparable, or more recent example I can think of is something like the Retro City Rampage DX reprint from months ago. That was a title that was reprinted with what you are noting, and more comparable than trying to match it to a completely different product line, and collector's community. Now, yes that RCR DX reprint also sold out eventually, so in this example it does show that it can be done without too much backlash, and all the other caveats I have mentioned before in regards to outcry.
I referred to it as a cop-out because I think it's (primarily) a excuse dancing around the issue. That issue being LRG doesn't want to openly admit they pander to and rely on the speculative/scalper side of their market to get those instant sellouts for big releases and sellouts for smaller games within a day or two.

The Retro City Rampage release is a good point, it completely slipped my mind somehow even though I own the damn game lol.

However, it's a bit different in that case because one of the main things is that the structure of the development/publishing are different. With the way LRG have things in place on paper, it'd be a bit harder for them to have to go back and forth on the decision making with the developers to work things out again. Could it be easy? Maybe. Could it be difficult? Maybe as well. Here are the things they know. It's in the contract. That's what they advertised. Everything else is more assumption than based on evidence, so I feel in this case they're trying to err on the side of caution, other than going through with it.

But the real question here I believe is do they need to? And I feel this is really important too. What are the repercussions if they don't do it? Are there any significant ones that's going to be a problem to them, or still more of a problem for the consumer? I feel if we take the idea of LRG making more money out of this comment, the underlying issues that are present doesn't really seem like much of an issue to LRG from a business standpoint, and it just does not feel like a necessity to me.
The structures are different and I'm not going to say I know the details of their contracts. I do think most developers and companies LRG has worked with (smaller, indie and AA devs) are friendly and open enough to the point where they'd be receptive towards working out a new contract allowing reprints. Again, at the end of the day it's more copies of their game being sold. I doubt more companies would be against that

You're right in some aspects. Their current business model is definitely successful. I'm not sure if it can be sustained though. If they don't change anything, they currently risk driving away customers who are getting upset at instant sellouts (due to the catering towards the speculative) and then seeing the same games on eBay being scalped for 2x the MSRP. Reprints would be a good solution to this problem.

I mean, people can sue for anything, so I wouldn't necessarily say that so concretely as it'd never happen. ;D Of course, it probably wouldn't, but the real question here is why would they need to risk it to do this? Just as I mentioned above, if we continue to work under the assumption that LRG does not need to make more money outside of what they already have in place; what is really left?

I'm not sure I'm really down with the analogy you used again either, comparing LRG to video game industry trailers, and what they advertise. I'm not sure if you have an actual example you can give of false advertising for a video game though, so if you have one you can think of off the top of your head that might be helpful in understanding you what you're trying to say, just to clarify that is because I can't think of one myself. If any of the examples you give are from larger companies, I think one thing that could be argued for that as well is the difference between LRG's operation size, compared to some of the larger companies.
I can't guarantee that it would never happens, as you said people can sue for literally anything. I just don't think it's a credible risk.

I linked a few of them before with Watch Dogs and No Man's Sky. Obviously games like Watch Dogs are from huge, billion dollar companies. But No Man's Sky was made by a small indie team of 16 people.

And even though this is not something I have personal experience, I am not sure it's correct to claim that video game companies have not been sued as a result of the videos/trailers they've posted on games. Companies can get sued without the actual case going public. There are undisclosed settlements that can be done, and because they are undisclosed, we don't know. There's just a lot we don't know about whether or not this does happen in the industry, so I don't think it's fair to make this claim without adequate evidence to support it.

They may only have a small blurb of that on their website, but as well all know in this current age, what they've said publicly can easily be seen as evidence of them "advertising" the fact that things are truly limited. Even though it's not stated on their website, they've stated it on a multitude of forums they wouldn't, they've stated it on Twitter extensively that they wouldn't, they've stated it at conventions and conferences that they wouldn't, and they stated it in their contracts that they wouldn't. While there is only a small blurb on their website, their range of advertising is much more far reaching than just what is listed on their website.
All court filings are public in the US to my knowledge. Any lawsuit of this kind would be class action, which are inherently public.

They might have done all those things, but most people still aren't buying LRG releases primarily because of the fact they're limited to X amount of copies.

I mean, isn't this one of the strengths of LRG, and that is in the accessibility of its owners, staff, and others that are so readily, and willing to be as transparent as they can be on these matters? Although, in this particular scenario you've mentioned, it may have hurt them from that particular aspect, more so than helped.

To be honest, I feel that two out of those three groups would actually be upset for a variety of reasons.

Collectors themselves can be upset for a couple of reasons. Personally, as I've stated before about my own feelings of reprints, I don't really like them, particularly when the item was advertised as limited. Sort of reminds me of the way NISA has been sneaking in reprints of their Limited Editions, and also more mainstream, the way that Nintendo have been doing it for awhile now with their standard edition games, and making them the same. Of course, these aren't the perfect comparisons, as the one above on RCR DX would probably be the closest comparison, but just the idea in it of itself irks me for sure, and I'd assume others as well.
Your view on reprints is valid, but I don't think this mentality makes up the majority of LRG's buyers for reasons I've already explained.

There is also something that collectors like to complain about, which doesn't happen as often, but is still a complain I've seen from time to time so I'll just put it here even if it may not be the most applicable, but it's the idea of making it difficult for collectors to have a complete collections when they keep coming out with different editions of games, including different cover variants, and what not. I mean, even in the thread now, we always seem people complaint about cover variants, and in many of these cases it's not even a valid complaint since the variant is just the sealed version of the game with the cover art flipped inside out. If collectors will get irked by something like that, this will more than likely just add on to that as well.
Wouldn't that mean the opposite? Collectors get mad at stuff like variants making it harder to have complete collections. Therefore, wouldn't something like reissuing games please people by making it easier to get complete collections?

Scalpers, well, clearly they wouldn't like it because of the decrease in value of their flips.

The group of people that just want to play the game and own it is a bit more hazy from my perspective, because those who would really want to play it, would probably be less inclined to need to own it, as many of these games are already available digitally, and if they really want to play it, they can just go that route. Many of the people who want to own it may also start to fall under the collectors group, which seems to be a better fit.
Disagreed. For many people, buying digital is a last resort. Ace Attorney 5 and 6 are goods example of this. Capcom made the series digital-only outside of Japan with 5, and tons of fans still bought them day 1 because they like the series and wanted to play the games. To this day the fanbase lambasts Capcom for making the series digital only and would to buy physical versions of the newer games in a heartbeat, solely because they like the games and prefer physical media.

This is also why LRG got support from people in the first place. Immediately from their inception people begged them to do physical versions of popular games that were digital only such as Fatal Frame, Yakuza 5, and Ace Attorney. These were fans of these franchises who simply want to own the games physically.

Of course, all hypothetical anyways, and lot of assumptions, so take it as you will. :p

Still feels more like assumption than fact. I don't know the answer whether this is true or not, nor if I'm even able to argue for the other point. The only thing I know is that LRG has a model, and they're selling out the games. Who the people that are buying them shouldn't be relevant to their final sales number.
Like I said before, they risk alienating customers who feel burnt up by the instant sellouts and scalpers.

It would be nice to have demographics behind their sales number, but since there is no way to actually figure this out, it's hard to understand the main reason (there could be several) why LRG games are so desirable. Even LRG wouldn't have these numbers, but what they do have is the business model they've created, and promoted, and as long as that is helping to drive the sales they've made, they can make the connection that the majority of their sales are because of their model, unless proven otherwise with concrete evidence to the contrary.
Can make educated guesses at least. I feel like I have a good sense of their demographics from following LRG since their existence and reading various forums/social media for years.

Not going to respond to the rest of this since I feel like I would just be repeating myself, but I do want to thank you for replying. Definitely a discussion worth having.

Fair enough.

I think I'm satisfied with where the discussion is at this point, so good place for me to bow out here.

First day of classes is tomorrow, and I'm kind of burnt out from preparing for the semester, so just going to save my long winded discussions for my students. ;D

Pok%C3%A9mon-anime-gif-fun.gif

You can see the few hardcore supporters of lrg trying to say it's not possible to reprint. You can tell it's a collectors market trying to protect it's intrinsic and monetary value.

Those people don't care about game play they don't care about others getting to experience the game, which is not like console exclusive titles which actually fuels creativity by a proprietary market.

These people don't want reprints for monetary purposes, egotistical purposes. They want to be select few to own the item. Many of them don't open the games. They collect them is all.

Happyconsolegamer said it best yesterday.
https://youtu.be/gFF_K5gDYEc

When your purpose is to sell scarcity it's going to close in on itself.

You end up with a low number of produced items with a high demand. Then everyone realizes the games are crap and the all the demand drops.
The only ones that stay collectible and rare are the few good games that will stand the test of time and stay in demand.

It's a business practice that will get more haters in the longrun then more followers because more people won't be getting anything yet have followed.

How so few people can predict that actualization is beyond me.

You can see the few hardcore supporters of lrg trying to say it's not possible to reprint. You can tell it's a collectors market trying to protect it's intrinsic and monetary value.

Those people don't care about game play they don't care about others getting to experience the game, which is not like console exclusive titles which actually fuels creativity by a proprietary market.

These people don't want reprints for monetary purposes, egotistical purposes. They want to be select few to own the item. Many of them don't open the games. They collect them is all.

Happyconsolegamer said it best yesterday.
https://youtu.be/gFF_K5gDYEc

When your purpose is to sell scarcity it's going to close in on itself.

You end up with a low number of produced items with a high demand. Then everyone realizes the games are crap and the all the demand drops.
The only ones that stay collectible and rare are the few good games that will stand the test of time and stay in demand.

It's a business practice that will get more haters in the longrun then more followers because more people won't be getting anything yet have followed.

How so few people can predict that actualization is beyond me.
Lay off the pipe dude, it's frying your brain.

bread's done
Back