Amazon dropped pre-order discount to 10‰

10% simply isn't worth it. You'd need to order $800 worth of games to cover the cost of Prime. While I am doing that right now, I'm only doing it because it's not worth waiting for price drops when stuff is 20% off. I'm going to wait till Ys 8 ships and then cancel Prime.

Apparently if you contact CS about cancelling Prime they'll give you a prorated refund for your unused subscription. Also historically any games ordered with a Prime discount keep their discount, despite what the terms state, but YMMV, they might double check after getting enough cancellations.

Surprised with all of Amazon's wealth that they even care to take 10% off. Or simply can no one else match them? like BB, WM, etc.

This is why I don't want to see amazon become a monopoly. Damage the competition by luring the buyers away from them with incentives and then removing it. Imagine no best buy, no toys r us or ebgames and what do we have?

This is why I don't want to see amazon become a monopoly. Damage the competition by luring the buyers away from them with incentives and then removing it. Imagine no best buy, no toys r us or ebgames and what do we have?
They've been dropping the ball for quite a while now. Glad I switched back over to eb games. If you are patient enough and know where to look, you can still take advantage of their sick trade in deals at times.

Seeing as there's a 10% difference between .com and .ca, I tried plugging some things into my cart to see what kind of value you could get from Prime on .com. I highly doubt they give free shipping for Canadians, at best there might be faster handling (and the cheapest rate can take over a week...).

First up, Ys 8:

$60 (USD, all prices are in USD and without discounts)
+$7 Shipping
+$7.41 import fees (that's a touch over 12%, the tax rate in BC. It's prettymuch a wash)

Not that great a value, paying more than 10% for shipping means it's a loss. I tried doubling the quantity though:

$120
+$9 Shipping

Shipping didn't go up much, that's a savings right there. I tried increasing the quantity, but removing Ys and adding .hack//G.U. instead:

$150
+$6 shipping

The shipping price went down with 3 copies of G.U....? I forgot Ys 8 has a fancy day-1 edition, so I guess they're getting some sort of actual shipping price.

Next up I went crazy and added 12 PS4 games, many of which aren't on Amazon.ca or simply don't have *any* discount:

$560
+$16 shipping

Holy crap, that's $1.33 shipping per game. There's definitely some value there. I don't know how they'd ship them though, it'd be silly if they hold them till they're all ready...

The .com Prime subscription prices are different too. It's $100 for a year, maybe because Amazon Video isn't worthless down there? Also you can buy a single month of Prime for $11. So it might be worthwhile to occasionally subscribe for a month and throw down a mega order. Although I'm also unsure if .com works like it does up here, you may need a Prime subscription when it ships, both sites have always stated that's required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as there's a 10% difference between .com and .ca, I tried plugging some things into my cart to see what kind of value you could get from Prime on .com. I highly doubt they give free shipping for Canadians, at best there might be faster handling (and the cheapest rate can take over a week...).

First up, Ys 8:

$60 (USD, all prices are in USD and without discounts)
+$7 Shipping
+$7.41 import fees (that's a touch over 12%, the tax rate in BC. It's prettymuch a wash)

Not that great a value, paying more than 10% for shipping means it's a loss. I tried doubling the quantity though:

$120
+$9 Shipping

Shipping didn't go up much, that's a savings right there. I tried increasing the quantity, but removing Ys and adding .hack//G.U. instead:

$150
+$6 shipping

The shipping price went down with 3 copies of G.U....? I forgot Ys 8 has a fancy day-1 edition, so I guess they're getting some sort of actual shipping price.

Next up I went crazy and added 12 PS4 games, many of which aren't on Amazon.ca or simply don't have *any* discount:

$560
+$16 shipping

Holy crap, that's $1.33 shipping per game. There's definitely some value there. I don't know how they'd ship them though, it'd be silly if they hold them till they're all ready...

The .com Prime subscription prices are different too. It's $100 for a year, maybe because Amazon Video isn't worthless down there? Also you can buy a single month of Prime for $11. So it might be worthwhile to occasionally subscribe for a month and throw down a mega order. Although I'm also unsure if .com works like it does up here, you may need a Prime subscription when it ships, both sites have always stated that's required.
Interesting... So they still have the 20% on amazon.com? My US friend will let me use his prime and his address, and he drives offer to vancouver two times a month, so there might be value in just shopping from the states.

I'm done with Prime. The 20% off game preorders + for two weeks after release are literally the only reasons I used Prime.

bread's done
Back