CAGcast #510: Get a Copy for Yourself

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks LI Retro, Obi-Wan movie, Nidhogg II, Lawbreakers, and so much more!

Download (58 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

Today’s show is brought to you by Harrys! Harry’s is so confident you’re going to love their blades, you'll get a free trial shave set when you sign up at Harrys.com/cagcast.
Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Jurassic Bass (Jurassic Park Remix) - Linden + Harmonica
Outro - BIG WHEEL TV COMMERCIAL 1975
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
CAGcast on YouTube
Facebook
Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
An Obi-Wan movie is pretty much the only Disney Star Wars movie that I am genuinely excited to see. It's rife with possibilities. But it will be very contingent on how creative they are with what direction they go. The idea most brought up by fans is to go the route of a sort of western, like the Kenobi novel a few years back. This would be a huge mistake in my opinion. It is safe and predictable. Conflict makes a story interesting, and the biggest conflict for Obi would be if there is a danger large enough that he has to choose between staying with Luke or leaving to keep the danger from reaching Luke.

Plus, Ewan McGregor was awesome as Obi and he wants to do another movie. That alone is enough of a reason to start the wheels in motion.

Since I was challenged, I bring to you CAGCast Classic Moment #17 - Naughty Bear Gold Edition - https://youtu.be/wJXluePtaWU

You can find all classic moments in this thread here!

Cheapy is correct; Horizon looks amazing on a 4K HDR TV.  So does Wipeout Omega.  I got the Sony X900E back in May and the upgrade from my 1080p Samsung that I bought in 2009 was well worth the money.

A young Yoda movie might be cool.  See how he has to work harder than everyone else because he is so short.

Maybe I am not seeing it but I just cannot figure out how these gaming companies cannot be making money.  I agree with Wombat that the season pass scheme is acceptable to help recoop costs.  But a season pass and micro transactions is just BS.  If you make a high quality game more than likely it will make money.  Most Rockstar games are already profitable before they are even released.  Bungie is the same way.  Because they always produce high quality games.  Companies that make crappy games deserve to lose money.  To make a profitable game the formula should be pretty simple.  First you make a high quality game and release it on Xbox, Playstation, and PC.  Next you sell a season pass for the game.  Then two years later you release the game of the year edition (that works with previous version game saves).  Then a couple years after that you release the same game on the Nintendo’s platform (as they are always about one generation behind in hardware specs).  Then a few years after that you release the HD remaster of the game for the next generation of Xbox, Playstation, and PC.  At the same time releasing the game for Android and iOS.   Now you have a revenue stream for the next six to eight years on top of your current offerings at the time. 

Last edited:
A young Yoda movie might be cool. See how he has to work harder than everyone else because he is so short.

Maybe I am not seeing it but I just cannot figure out how these gaming companies cannot be making money. I agree with Wombat that the season pass scheme is acceptable to help recoop costs. But a season pass an micro transactions is just BS. If you make a high quality game more than likely it will make money. Most Rockstar games are already profitable before they are even released. Bungie is the same way. Because they always produce high quality games. Companies that make crappy games deserve to lose money. To make a profitable game the formula should be pretty simple. First you make a high quality game and release it on Xbox, Playstation, and PC. Next you sell a season pass for the game. Then two years later you release the game of the year edition (that works with previous version game saves). Then a couple years after that you release the same game on the Nintendo’s platform (as they are always about one generation behind in hardware specs). Then a few years after that you release the HD remaster of the game for the next generation of Xbox, Playstation, and PC. At the same time releasing the game for Android and iOS. Now you have a revenue stream for the next six to eight years on top of your current offerings at the time.
A high quality game like Tomb Raider did not meet projected sales numbers for Square Enix when it initially launched. Only after the Definitive Edition launched that the game finally did turn a profit.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/poor-tomb-raider-has-finally-turned-a-profit/1100-6417200/

So to your point, games will likely make money at some point hopefully, but just making a high quality game doesn't guarantee a profit out of the gate.

I have not played the last Tomb Raider game so I can not make an assessment of the quality of the game. But if it has a good story, the controls are sound, the graphics and the animations are done well it should make money. A couple of exceptions to this rule would if a game maker has already done this to death already, or if the series has had some less quality games in the recent past. Look at the Assassin's Creed series. The first few games were made of very high quality, then they started releasing them yearly and the quality went down hill.

A high quality game like Tomb Raider did not meet projected sales numbers for Square Enix when it initially launched. Only after the Definitive Edition launched that the game finally did turn a profit.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/poor-tomb-raider-has-finally-turned-a-profit/1100-6417200/

So to your point, games will likely make money at some point hopefully, but just making a high quality game doesn't guarantee a profit out of the gate.

If you could add any character to Injustice 2, who would you add? And what costumes to go with them?

Also, Wombat did you buy any of the DLC for Just Cause 3 went it on sale after the game went free for PS Plus. 

I CAN'T be the only one to point out how down Cheapy sounded, right? Was it just me? That one was hard to get through; both Ship and Wombat struggled to not mention the awkwardness of it and even trying to in Cheapy didn't help. Was there an argument prior or something? I hope all is well Cheapy.

Man, Ship...can you STOP recommending stuff? My wallet can't take it! I jumped in on the Dreamcade Replay kickstarter and now I have to buy the new Sonic game? If you say so...

In all honesty, I appreciate all of the recommendations from all of you. Keep up the great work!

I CAN'T be the only one to point out how down Cheapy sounded, right? Was it just me? That one was hard to get through; both Ship and Wombat struggled to not mention the awkwardness of it and even trying to in Cheapy didn't help. Was there an argument prior or something? I hope all is well Cheapy.
The first 20 minutes were rough.. what's up, SleepyD?

I have been listening to the My Favorite Murder podcast for about a year now, it's good to see Wombat is enjoying it also. If you're into murder and occult podcasts may I recommend Last Podcast on the Left. The hosts do a lot of research on each topic, but still keep it interesting with their (sometimes crude) humour. LPOTL is based out of New York, and they even did a cross-over podcast with the MFM podcast.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back