Nier Automata - $34.99 @ BestBuy ($27.99 w/ GCU)

This is almost my buy price.. I do think this will hit $29.99 (before GCU) or less during the holidays so I think I will wait it out.  Good find though OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
So tempting. But it's gonna drop even lower. It was over shipped to hell and back. S-E games always drop to $20 

This is almost my buy price.. I do think this will hit $29.99 (before GCU) or less during the holidays so I think I will wait it out. Good find though OP.
I agree. I have too much backlogs right now; almost BF so probably I will wait on that as well.

I'm playing through it currently and I'm about 12 or so hours in. I'm enjoying it but it's nowhere near my top ten of the year so far.
You could of said nowhere "Nier" your top ten ha.

I had a month of Gamefly a while back. I got up to the Forest area. Id say pretty far into it.

Some bad and good. Graphically, it's a very ugly game with framerate drops and hitches on the PS4 Pro. Very flat and bland environments. Kinda 1st generation PS3 you could say. Also side quests are pretty terrible. Not even much story up to the part I was at beyond basic stuff. Some Aliens(or ancient evil) were revived if I remember correctly. Some of the soundtrack is good(Nier on PS3 was better). I like the speed of 2B. The combat is alright but very simple and button mashy. Lack of enemy variety is a problem. I like the mix of random gameplay.

Not destroying the game as I would buy when cheap enough to see it through. $28 GCU is tempting though.

What's the main selling point of this game, story or gameplay? I actually thought it was a hack n slash, not RPG.

I thought the 20% gcu discount no longer applies to Black Friday sales?
It doesn't, however last year Best Buy ran the same black Friday prices throughout the month of December allowing for you to use GCU.. good possibility they do it again.

You do realize that would only save you a whopping four dollars?
That's assuming it drops to $29.99, I'm betting it will be better than that, $19.99 - $24.99 is my bet and I'm willing to wait and find out.

-*play 1st nier*
-"I'm gonna do all of the side quests!"
-[second half of game]
-"hmm, where do I find these flower seeds?"
-*reads internet*
-"..."

Not sure if I want to play it. I'll just wait until it drops low enough so that when I do buy it I can justify never playing it because it was so cheap

- This thread.

What's the main selling point of this game, story or gameplay? I actually thought it was a hack n slash, not RPG.
Definitely story. Gameplay wise, I'd define it as an action game with RPG elements such as upgrades and the like. Combat is a lot of hack and slash (this changes up a bit deeper into the story), which honestly got fairly repetitive to me. There's nothing functionally wrong with the combat (and it looks awesomely stylish at times), but just wasn't particularly engaging to me.

Story is great (IMO one of the best in games this year), though it takes a bit of time to show its hand. You'll hit the credits the first time and probably think "this is ok I guess", but you keep playing and find out there's so much more going on. As someone not familiar with Yoko Taro games prior to this, it was quite fascinating to see where it went.

You could of said nowhere "Nier" your top ten ha.

I had a month of Gamefly a while back. I got up to the Forest area. Id say pretty far into it.

Some bad and good. Graphically, it's a very ugly game with framerate drops and hitches on the PS4 Pro. Very flat and bland environments. Kinda 1st generation PS3 you could say. Also side quests are pretty terrible. Not even much story up to the part I was at beyond basic stuff. Some Aliens(or ancient evil) were revived if I remember correctly. Some of the soundtrack is good(Nier on PS3 was better). I like the speed of 2B. The combat is alright but very simple and button mashy. Lack of enemy variety is a problem. I like the mix of random gameplay.

Not destroying the game as I would buy when cheap enough to see it through. $28 GCU is tempting though.
You sure you played Automata? The side quests are great and it has one hell of a story. Did you just play through ending A and take the game out?

Price is getting there. Waiting for this and Gravity Rush 2 to drop to 29.99 and then layeth the GCU on em. Missed out on a few things from early in the year thanks to Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn.

It doesn't, however last year Best Buy ran the same black Friday prices throughout the month of December allowing for you to use GCU.. good possibility they do it again.

That's assuming it drops to $29.99, I'm betting it will be better than that, $19.99 - $24.99 is my bet and I'm willing to wait and find out.
Fair enough. And this is CHEAP ASS Gamer after all.

I bit because I'm really intrigued by the game and I tend to make my purchases based a lot on value. From everything I've read this game is well worth $28. But now the collector in me wants the original game too and I can't find that cheaper than $35.

I bit because I'm really intrigued by the game and I tend to make my purchases based a lot on value. From everything I've read this game is well worth $28. But now the collector in me wants the original game too and I can't find that cheaper than $35.
For me, it's not just the value of the game but how I value my time relative to the quality of the game. Many of us here have backlogs that could reach the ceiling, so whatever price we may or may not buy at should consider when we'll even get to it. My motto: zero point in buying a game at a pricepoint higher than $20/25 unless I intend to play it now.

Amazon has it also for $34.99
It actually hit $34.99 on Amazon like midweek last week. I assumed that they were just price matching someone else's sale at that time, but I was surprised when the price didn't go back up on Sunday. That kinda makes me think, as others have said, that this is the new MSRP for now.

This series has a really strange storyline and to get the whole thing you would have to buy some of the Drakengard games on PS2/PS3 also. So don't worry too much about it unless you want to commit to all of that.

You sure you played Automata? The side quests are great and it has one hell of a story. Did you just play through ending A and take the game out?
Did you just refer to a Platinum game as having "one hell of a story"? Funny guy. I love their games, but storytelling is not their strong suit.

This price is getting closer for me, and if I didn't have other things (like a new Metroid) to play, I would go for it. It is looking like a Black Friday game for me.

I'm playing through it currently and I'm about 12 or so hours in. I'm enjoying it but it's nowhere near my top ten of the year so far.
I'm about halfway through the second playthrough. I am enjoying certain aspects of it, but like the first game better so far. The story is exceptionally convoluted and hard to follow, much more than the first game. It helped that the first game at least had a relatable premise.

Supposedly the third path puts things in perspective, so I'm looking forward to that. The game is definitely worth it at this price though.

For me, it's not just the value of the game but how I value my time relative to the quality of the game. Many of us here have backlogs that could reach the ceiling, so whatever price we may or may not buy at should consider when we'll even get to it. My motto: zero point in buying a game at a pricepoint higher than $20/25 unless I intend to play it now.
Trust me, I am also one of those people. My backlog is embarrassing.

Did you just refer to a Platinum game as having "one hell of a story"? Funny guy. I love their games, but storytelling is not their strong suit.

This price is getting closer for me, and if I didn't have other things (like a new Metroid) to play, I would go for it. It is looking like a Black Friday game for me.
This is a Yoko Taro game though, and that's what the original Nier did best (story)

I'm disappointed this thread has no images for the most beautiful ass of all time.

So here you go..

hnmkMQb.gif

441323_ezgif3905de45169.gif

I caved.  Considering this on a lot of people's Top 5 lists and it's the cheapest it's ever been, it only made sense.  Sure, it could be cheaper come Cyber Monday, but this is an RPG and who knows if I'll even fucking play it come the holidays?

I'm a reviewer and I want be Top 10 list of the year to be definitive.  I need all the time I can get

I'm disappointed this thread has no images for the most beautiful ass of all time.

So here you go..

hnmkMQb.gif

441323_ezgif3905de45169.gif
Best part is Yoko Taro's response to the butt.

"With 2B’s butt controversy going on, there’s been loads of outrageous images being uploaded, but since it’s a pain in the butt to go around collecting them all, I’d rather receive them through zips on a weekly basis.”

“After saying ‘send me zips of 2B art’ word got around and I actually got a zip. The Internet is great.”

It actually hit $34.99 on Amazon like midweek last week. I assumed that they were just price matching someone else's sale at that time, but I was surprised when the price didn't go back up on Sunday. That kinda makes me think, as others have said, that this is the new MSRP for now.

This series has a really strange storyline and to get the whole thing you would have to buy some of the Drakengard games on PS2/PS3 also. So don't worry too much about it unless you want to commit to all of that.
Amazon was pricematching GameStop's sale. Outside of the holidays, GameStop's game sales run W-Tues.

bread's done
Back