* * - - - 17 votes

Gamestop Discussion (FAQ in 1st post)

#3151 Kyle1022  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:19 PM

Ok, then...let’s consider this the warning!
If you were banned, this serves as your warning. If you want your account back just email me at cheapyd@gmail, acknowledging the receipt of this warning. Let me know what you will do to prevent that behavior from happening in the future. If I think the user is sincere I give them their account back. But, like I said before...these guys do not want to be here.

I’m sorry but what a weaksauce “solution.” Imagine doing something like this in a workplace, or in an apartment complex. One guy gets warned while five others get fired/kicked out, and told “If you kiss up to me then you can come back.” Surely you can see the discrepancy with which you treated thorbahn last summer, and how you’re treating the banned people now.

#3152 alucardus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   420 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

alucardus

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:19 PM

Very sad turn of event. First DS now BB. Guys who kept this site alive.

#3153 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   7107 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:26 PM

Ok, then...let’s consider this the warning!
If you were banned, this serves as your warning. If you want your account back just email me at cheapyd@gmail, acknowledging the receipt of this warning. Let me know what you will do to prevent that behavior from happening in the future. If I think the user is sincere I give them their account back. But, like I said before...these guys do not want to be here.

If their accounts are banned, how would they know they can bow down via email to get them back?

#3154 Trenchalicious   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1626 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Trenchalicious

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:29 PM

I’m sorry but what a weaksauce “solution.” Imagine doing something like this in a workplace, or in an apartment complex. One guy gets warned while five others get fired/kicked out, and told “If you kiss up to me then you can come back.” Surely you can see the discrepancy with which you treated thorbahn last summer, and how you’re treating the banned people now.

A real TrumpyD maneuver. People have complained about certain mods for awhile now and since they are boys with the head enchilada, they get free reign. Its his world but without contributors, its not much of a world.

#3155 Gdogg   Scarlett Johansson's future ex-husband CAGiversary!   518 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:31 PM

You banned DS and BB but not Twitter/Instagram???!!  

CUM ON!!!!!!

#3156 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18073 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:34 PM

I’m sorry but when guys are spamming walls of text I ban first and ask questions later. I guess you would do it differently?

I’ve already been contacted by 3 users and unbanned them. No bowing.
  • ck0 likes this

#3157 Kyle1022  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:42 PM

I’m sorry but when guys are spamming walls of text I ban first and ask questions later. I guess you would do it differently?

I mean, yes, that’s what I’ve said in several posts now. What’s so wrong with deleting the messages and PMing the users (or posting in the topic) to knock it off, and that further violations will result in a ban? I’m sure most people would agree that’s a much more sensible solution than going on a banning spree. Including you, since as you say, you’re already walking it back and unbanning people.

#3158 kross036   Going home to be a family man. CAGiversary!   238 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:44 PM

RIP CAG, we hardly knew ye

#3159 AFarewell2Arms   We President Now CAGiversary!   1197 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

AFarewell2Arms

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:45 PM

If their accounts are banned, how would they know they can bow down via email to get them back?

Maybe they took thorbahn's advice and made another account and pretended to be someone else.

#3160 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18073 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

My method is much faster and the end result is the same. People who act badly don’t seem to mind being slightly inconvenienced if they get their account back.

#3161 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:48 PM

I'm seeing multiple saved trades were the regular value is higher than the pro value. It's kinda crazy. And it's been like that for weeks.

Has anyone else seen this?

Usually if you clear out the saved trades and redo that will resolve the issue. But please stay focused on the ensuing and escalating drama.

#3162 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:50 PM

If by end result you mean hastening the death of this site...yes.

#3163 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7101 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:58 PM

RIP CAG, we hardly knew ye

A bit late but it's appreciated.

#3164 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18073 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:00 AM

If by end result you mean hastening the death of this site...yes.

If clearing out jerks leads to the end of CAG, I’m fine with that.

#3165 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   7107 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:02 AM

That's a surprisingly all-in approach, and I can respect the conviction even if it doesn't seem the slightest bit smart. GG.

#3166 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:07 AM

So thorbahn is getting banned too? Sweet

#3167 AFarewell2Arms   We President Now CAGiversary!   1197 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

AFarewell2Arms

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

So thorbahn is getting banned too? Sweet

Got 'em!

#3168 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18073 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:15 AM

if I had $1 for everytime some predicted the end of CAG over the last 15 years...

I mean really, if something ended after 15 years that seems like a pretty damn good run to me. I certainly wouldn’t be embarrassed by any of my actions on CAG whether or not they lead to its end.

#3169 Kyle1022  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:15 AM

My method is much faster and the end result is the same.

By “much faster” are you factoring in the time you’ve spent explaining and damage controlling the ban-spree decision on here and social media? Because it seems like you’ve spent pretty much your entire Saturday doing just that.

And the end result clearly is NOT the same. I’m sure you knew that some people on pride alone weren’t going to be proactive and email you, begging for forgiveness. Hell, since they were banned here I’m sure a lot of people won’t even see or know about your offer. Nor should they even have to email you. They should get a warning just like thorbahn did.

#3170 Kyle1022  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

And thorbahn is still here because...?

Oh, because he was warned and fixed his behavior. Which is the same treatment that the people banned today should get. They should not have to be the ones to reach out to you and kiss up to be let back on the site. And as I said before I’m sure a lot of people didn’t even see your post since they were banned, and won’t have the opportunity to do what you offered.

#3171 SonictheHedgehog1337   CheapAssGamer4Life CAGiversary!   7579 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

SonictheHedgehog1337

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:22 AM

I can understand their perspective of thinking this is the beginning of the end. If you look at my account, I think I have about 7,000 active posts between 2008 and 2017. After that there's not much from me. It genuinely saddens me that the days of me visiting CAG several times a day for good deals look to be over for good. I get alerts on my phone from Wario64's tweets and I have custom alerts on SD now. There are still really good helpful CAGs who frequent the vita thread, psvr thread, XBL thread, PSN thread, and more. I'll keep coming back for that info once in a while, so CAG will keep getting some ad revenue from me, but nothing like it probably used to get from me. Hopefully CAG has a comeback for my perspective, but I can't see that happening without useful contributors like Blackbeard and even entertaining creative contributors like FerrariRacer.

#3172 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18073 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:27 AM

You are free to criticize my workflow but again, you are fighting for people who don’t want to be here. Has anyone contacted you saying they have been unfairly banned? I haven’t.

I had people calmly explain their situation and get their accounts back. No begging required. Why? They want to be here. One user (Ferrari) I reached out to personally via email.

#3173 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7101 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:32 AM

I think a fair warning is reasonable and not a "you're guilty until you kneel to me" rule. I can understand being fed up with certain situations but it doesn't help that major contributors are gone, we're lucky to get 3 deals posted a week and the site is pretty much only alive due to lurkers.

CAG is dead in comparison to how it was years ago. We had thriving GameStop trade threads, AWD glitches and deals weekly (even if they were small) and even a deal thread worth posting every day. Now it's a desert filled with angry users, lurkers, and people who question why they even open the site instead of going on SD, sites directly, hell even Kotaku Deals post more stuff. It's a sad state that I hope changes but if I had a dollar for every time I said that in the last year, well I'd have a few dollars.

#3174 AFarewell2Arms   We President Now CAGiversary!   1197 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

AFarewell2Arms

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:33 AM

You are free to criticize my workflow but again, you are fighting for people who don’t want to be here. Has anyone contacted you saying they have been unfairly banned? I haven’t.

I had people calmly explain their situation and get their accounts back. One user (Ferrari) I reached out to personally.

So if someone doesn't complain, then that means their ban was fair? Don't know about you, but if the head of a company met my dissent with trying to silence me instead of working out a resolution, I wouldn't want to be a part of that either.

#3175 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18073 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:38 AM

No, but it confirms my belief they don’t care about being here. I mean, my belief was already confirmed by the constant shitposting and harassment but this just secures it.

Users who want to be here can spend 5 seconds sending me an email. It’s not unreasonable.

#3176 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   7107 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:38 AM

I think it's cool that those left in the lounge thread are actually trying to discuss trades and stuff. Personally steamrolling the public thread with walls of text in an attempt to justify questionable behavior seems to be working out.

Oh, you thought I was talking about Blackbeard? Silly you!

#3177 Kyle1022  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:39 AM

I had people calmly explain their situation and get their accounts back. No begging required. Why? They want to be here. One user (Ferrari) I reached out to personally via email.

No, so I don’t know that they want to be here. But how do you know that those people DON’T want to be here? Like I said, they might not even know of your offer because they were banned and aren’t using the website.

And some people that know of your offer and DO want to stay might not even bother emailing you because of pride alone. They should not have to reach out to you and beg for forgiveness, when they were longtime and noteworthy contributors and did nothing malicious.

Again, your moderator did something malicious but was given a warning before he was banned/fired/whatever, and fixed his behavior. Stop avoiding the issue and tell us why the people who were banned today didn’t get the same treatment as thorbahn, and are instead expected to be the ones to reach out to you via email when they shouldn’t have to.

#3178 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18073 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:48 AM

Well, none of those people work for me and Thorbahn does. Also, I know Thorbahn has CAG’s best interests at heart, EVEN THOUGH HE MADE A MISTAKE.

My interactions with BB have led me to believe he is not a good person with CAGs best interest at heart. Good people don’t troll charity theads and mock other users. Good people don’t make insulting avatars of other members. Good people don’t follow others posts around cag and troll them. Good people don’t treat you like shit when you treat them with respect. Good people don’t take their ball and go home when they Fuck up.

Hope this answers your questions. Theee users have emailed me and gotten their accounts back.

#3179 AFarewell2Arms   We President Now CAGiversary!   1197 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

AFarewell2Arms

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:49 AM

No, but it confirms my belief they don’t care about being here. I mean, my belief was already confirmed by the constant shitposting and harassment but this just secures it.

Users who want to be here can spend 5 seconds sending me an email. It’s not unreasonable.

How are they to know that's an option if you banned them from the site? I guess your ad revenue hasn't suffered so it doesn't cause you to care as much about keeping a happy, loyal userbase. CAG used to feel a lot more like a community, but it seems like we've stumbled into "CAG - It's been 15 years, so Fuck it" territory.

#3180 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18073 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:00 AM

I’m sorry but I can’t operate the site with a guy who trolls my every post.

I’ve been banning people for 15 years. Somehow, the people who really want to be here always find a way to contact me.