* * - - - 17 votes

Gamestop Discussion (FAQ in 1st post)

#3391 thephoenix112   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   6 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

thephoenix112

Posted Yesterday, 10:35 PM

I recently came into A WHOLE BUNCH of PUR points. Any suggestions on what to get?

Depends on what you have.  If you have PS4, there's a ton of lesser known things that are amazing.  Nonary Games is one I highly recommend if you want a hidden gem.

#3392 Acd  

Posted Yesterday, 11:03 PM

I recently came into A WHOLE BUNCH of PUR points. Any suggestions on what to get?

I have been selling PSN and Xbox live points while I could wait to use preowned certificates I wanted to use mine.

#3393 coolrust   Kupalizm Mode CAGiversary!   807 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

coolrust

Posted Yesterday, 11:04 PM

anybody have the gaems m155 1080p monitor? any input for video or sports play?
Real Men Make Twins

#3394 ck0  

Posted Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Ugh, I got a purchase error when trying to purchase something using trade credit on gs.com, do I call CS?

yeah, you are not alone.  I always get a purchase error when trying to use trade credit on something online (paid in full, at least). something like "your info doesn't match". 

my state you don't have to pay tax when using TC in-store, but sometimes I just don't feel like driving to a GS. save time and gas to pay extra the tax

#3395 illidin   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   167 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 12:05 AM

anybody have the gaems m155 1080p monitor? any input for video or sports play?

I have the old version and from what I've herd the new M155 is much better quality. With that said I like mine though I don't use super often. It's 1080p but certainly nothing to write home about in terms of quality. It's acceptable colors and ok blacks. Viewing angles are not great. If your expecting a cheap monitor that you can power over USB and mostly plan to use solo you shouldn't be disappointed. I bought mine mostly as a second monitor for my laptop at work and get it dirt cheap as part of a PS4 bundle so it's been worth it to me.

#3396 dkstariob   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   294 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

dkstariob

Posted Today, 12:23 AM

Don't use it on pre-owned certificates.  When you buy a pre-owned game, the certificates always get applied first before the Pro/Elite discount so you're not getting good value.  

#3397 rdigit   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   304 Posts   Joined 0.5 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 12:38 AM

Don't use it on pre-owned certificates. When you buy a pre-owned game, the certificates always get applied first before the Pro/Elite discount so you're not getting good value.

While this is true, the discount for pre-owned certs makes it equivalent or better than buying if there's a good quality pre-owned in stock.

Pre-Owned
$53.99 - $50 in pre-owned certs = $3.99 remaining
$3.99 remaining * 80% (after Elite) = $3.19
Total: 40K points + $3.19 + tax

Versus

New game
$60 - $60 in points = "free"
Total: 60K points (or 50K points + $10 + tax)

If there's a "pre-owned" copy that's effectively new, then it's worth it to me to use points for the pre-owned.

Would be interested to hear from you if my math is wrong or if I'm missing a better opportunity.

#3398 dkstariob   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   294 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

dkstariob

Posted Today, 12:44 AM

While this is true, the discount for pre-owned certs makes it equivalent or better than buying if there's a good quality pre-owned in stock.

Pre-Owned
$53.99 - $50 in pre-owned certs = $3.99 remaining
$3.99 remaining * 80% (after Elite) = $3.19
Total: 40K points + $3.19 + tax

Versus

New game
$60 - $60 in points = "free"
Total: 60K points (or 50K points + $10 + tax)

If there's a "pre-owned" copy that's effectively new, then it's worth it to me to use points for the pre-owned.

Would be interested to hear from you if my math is wrong or if I'm missing a better opportunity.

Your math is right and you make good points, but I would like to take advantage of the 20% Elite discount as much as I can so for me, I would rather use the points to buy a new game that is on sale like Nier ($29.99), Yakuza 0 ($29.99), Persona 5 ($29.99), and etc.  If discount was applied before certs, then it would be a no brainer for me.    

#3399 rdigit   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   304 Posts   Joined 0.5 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 12:57 AM

Your math is right and you make good points, but I would like to take advantage of the 20% Elite discount as much as I can so for me, I would rather use the points to buy a new game that is on sale like Nier ($29.99), Yakuza 0 ($29.99), Persona 5 ($29.99), and etc. If discount was applied before certs, then it would be a no brainer for me.

I hear ya. That's a good strategy to maximize the value of cash and points. I'm trying my best to not spend any more cash on games when I have points.

#3400 Z-Saber   Dancing is about butts now CAGiversary!   5660 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 01:26 AM

So what if I had like... a lot of points. Like more than anyone. A stupid amount.

XBL: Z 5aber

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/z_saber

Uplay: Z-Saber

Origin: Z_Saber_64

Battle.net BattleTag: Zsaber#11913

PSN: Zsaber64

#3401 dennisb407   Banned CAGiversary!   5137 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 01:35 AM

So what if I had like... a lot of points. Like more than anyone. A stupid amount.

Can you narrow it down to a number for us so we can guide you in the right direction

#3402 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted Today, 01:41 AM

You max out at $90 per transaction per day if you're using certs. So it's not like you could buy a ps4 pro on points only. But you could still buy a ps4 with 90 bucks off and sell for cash. You could yield $50 for every 90k points.

The 3 certs per transaction puts a cap on what you can do. Also depends on what you're looking to do. Turn it into cash or more games or collectibles.

#3403 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   8733 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted Today, 02:07 AM

You max out at $90 per transaction per day if you're using certs. So it's not like you could buy a ps4 pro on points only. But you could still buy a ps4 with 90 bucks off and sell for cash. You could yield $50 for every 90k points.

The 3 certs per transaction puts a cap on what you can do. Also depends on what you're looking to do. Turn it into cash or more games or collectibles.

The "3 certs per transaction" is not a thing (maybe anymore).  I used all five certs to buy the 4K TV and they all worked fine.

#3404 ihadmail   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   618 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 02:09 AM

I had 637k when I started using mine. They disappeared very quickly though.

#3405 tearsintherain  

tearsintherain

Posted Today, 02:27 AM

If you won a million points through a definitely not rigged game of chance you could offer to trade it at a gamestop for a night of passion with their snorlax plushy

#3406 Keen314   CAGsiversary! CAGiversary!   966 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 02:46 AM

Use it on boomerangs, to convert points into trade credit.

#3407 coolrust   Kupalizm Mode CAGiversary!   807 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

coolrust

Posted Today, 02:59 AM

I have the old version and from what I've herd the new M155 is much better quality. With that said I like mine though I don't use super often. It's 1080p but certainly nothing to write home about in terms of quality. It's acceptable colors and ok blacks. Viewing angles are not great. If your expecting a cheap monitor that you can power over USB and mostly plan to use solo you shouldn't be disappointed. I bought mine mostly as a second monitor for my laptop at work and get it dirt cheap as part of a PS4 bundle so it's been worth it to me.

i just bought one for 90 using my $90 cert. mainly i just want to use it to connect my phone to stream nba at work. hehe and maybe for my kids during a long trip. thanks for the input.
Real Men Make Twins

#3408 alucardus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   342 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

alucardus

Posted Today, 03:05 AM

i just bought one for 90 using my $90 cert. mainly i just want to use it to connect my phone to stream nba at work. hehe and maybe for my kids during a long trip. thanks for the input.

Just did the same and picked up the last unit at my store. It's not bad for what it is, and super light. Definitely a step up compare to the previous model, with built in speaker (mono) and includes a remote control.

#3409 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted Today, 04:03 AM

The "3 certs per transaction" is not a thing (maybe anymore). I used all five certs to buy the 4K TV and they all worked fine.

Good to know. Now I can cash out and start all over again.

#3410 coolrust   Kupalizm Mode CAGiversary!   807 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

coolrust

Posted Today, 05:38 AM

Just did the same and picked up the last unit at my store. It's not bad for what it is, and super light. Definitely a step up compare to the previous model, with built in speaker (mono) and includes a remote control.

when i carried it, i thought it was only a display box so i opened right there in store to make sure its inside. man i laughed to myself when i saw it. this thing is really light. im happy with my purchase.
Real Men Make Twins

#3411 mchittumjr  

Posted Today, 06:02 AM

How would you attach the M155 in a car? Or just let the kid hold the screen? May pick up as a cheap car entertainment system.

#3412 coolrust   Kupalizm Mode CAGiversary!   807 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

coolrust

Posted Today, 06:06 AM

How would you attach the M155 in a car? Or just let the kid hold the screen? May pick up as a cheap car entertainment system.

i would try velcro attached in between the front seat.
Real Men Make Twins

#3413 Troe123  

Posted Today, 06:30 AM

I hear ya. That's a good strategy to maximize the value of cash and points. I'm trying my best to not spend any more cash on games when I have points.

I would suggest using your PUR points on things that otherwise will not get a discount from PUR, GCU, or Amazon Prime.

In my case, it was new pink + green joycons. Headsets could be another option.

#3414 dkstariob   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   294 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

dkstariob

Posted Today, 07:45 AM

I would suggest using your PUR points on things that otherwise will not get a discount from PUR, GCU, or Amazon Prime.

In my case, it was new pink + green joycons. Headsets could be another option.

Yep, accessories and hardware. 

#3415 Dranakin   Member Since Oct 2003 CAGiversary!   2434 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 07:56 AM

I burned through Uncharted 4 start-to-finish over the weekend so I could get in on the last day of the 60% promo.

I completely forgot that GS closes earlier on Sunday. Got there 30 mins too late. Guess I'll hang onto it and my other games for now...

#3416 coolduck   super cool duck CAG Veteran   183 Posts   Joined 0.7 Years Ago  

coolduck

Posted Today, 08:19 AM

For clarity's sake, canceling an old perorder and moving it to a new game (for example, dragon ball fighterz) means that transaction takes advantage of whatever preorder deal there is for that game, right?

you dont have to cancel an old preorder separately, do you?