* * - - - 17 votes

Gamestop Discussion (FAQ in 1st post)

#1021 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

Yikes. I was holding on to a large trade for black friday/cyber monday or better trade promo.. and all the trades just tanked today.  It looks like they are getting rid of trade promos for the most part on weekly ads. This is getting real bad.

#1022 ZeroGame   zero game all luck CAGiversary!   1279 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

So I have to pay tax? Hell naw.

No tax on gift cards

#1023 ZeroGame   zero game all luck CAGiversary!   1279 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

Does anyone have the verbiage or a know where I can find the trade bump offer($50) for trading an Xbox 1 controller towards and elite controller ??

#1024 ajourneywelove  

ajourneywelove

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

No tax on gift cards

But he has to pay tax on whatever he buys using the gift cards. If you use trade credit then no tax at all

#1025 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:56 PM

Seems like they jacked up some of the prices on Xbox One games for the B2G1.

#1026 miketheplantguy   Banned Banned   600 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

miketheplantguy

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

The OP updated. Here is the new pdf of ad...

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop...LFSI_110817.pdf

Here are the trade deals (not much change at all)....

Current Trade Deals:

Get up to 40% Extra Trade Credit Toward Evil Within 2, Gran Turismo Sport, South Park Fractured But Whole, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Call of Duty World War II, Need for Speed, Super Luckys Tale, Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, Star Wars Battlefront 2, and WWE 2K18 and corresponding downloadable content
-30% would include Pro (20% if not pro)
-40% would include elite PRO
-Ends 11/12

Get up to 40% extra credit when you trade software and accessories toward purchase of a new Xbox One X!

​-coupon delivered by 11/1

-Ends 11/18

PowerUp Rewards Pro Members Get $30 Guaranteed Trade Credit When You Trade Select Games Within 30 Days of Launch (version 4 of pdf) - still v.4
-Eligible Titles https://www.gamestop...30_Flyer_v4.pdf

#1027 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

The OP updated. Here is the new pdf of ad...

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop...LFSI_110817.pdf

Here are the trade deals (not much change at all)....

Current Trade Deals:

Get up to 40% Extra Trade Credit Toward Evil Within 2, Gran Turismo Sport, South Park Fractured But Whole, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Call of Duty World War II, Need for Speed, Super Luckys Tale, Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, Star Wars Battlefront 2, and WWE 2K18 and corresponding downloadable content
-30% would include Pro (20% if not pro)
-40% would include elite PRO
-Ends 11/12

Get up to 40% extra credit when you trade software and accessories toward purchase of a new Xbox One X!
​-coupon delivered by 11/1
-Ends 11/18

PowerUp Rewards Pro Members Get $30 Guaranteed Trade Credit When You Trade Select Games Within 30 Days of Launch (version 4 of pdf) - still v.4
-Eligible Titles https://www.gamestop...30_Flyer_v4.pdf

Thanks.

#1028 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:31 PM

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the GameStop rental thing seems like really good, right? I keep seeing these "deals" where you'd lose up to say $20 per trade if you did it otherwise. There has to be some major flaw right? It says you keep the last one right? So then you trade that in and it costs even less?

My idea is if it's on PC I'd rather my second (potential) playthrough to be on a badass PC in the future. Plus i could buy the game for cheap during a steam sale.

I like the idea of gamefly for rental but gamestop for selection and dont necessarily care about owning the games

#1029 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the GameStop rental thing seems like really good, right? I keep seeing these "deals" where you'd lose up to say $20 per trade if you did it otherwise. There has to be some major flaw right? It says you keep the last one right? So then you trade that in and it costs even less?

My idea is if it's on PC I'd rather my second (potential) playthrough to be on a badass PC in the future. Plus i could buy the game for cheap during a steam sale.

I like the idea of gamefly for rental but gamestop for selection and dont necessarily care about owning the games

From everything I've seen this seems to be true. Keep the last game, which would be a high TIV game, and trade back in to reduce cost.

Plus points on buy in & trade of last game.

#1030 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5730 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:15 PM

The catch is that it's only available for a limited time unless they plan to offer it every season. It starts in November and will only be offered up until January. When it was still in test market, starting it later did not give the full 6 months - that might still be the case here, so if you activate in Jan., your membership might still end as if you started in November.

The bigger thing is that most of these months are going to be in the dead of winter - are you going to head out to your GS often when it's 9 degrees to rent video games? You're probably still going to buy games come Black Friday and Christmas, so you'll spend even less time with the Power Pass. And most people will be renting older games since there'll only be a handful of used copies of new releases, so GS will be making money on inventory that would otherwise just sit there.

#1031 Dojorkan   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   421 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

Disappointing the Pokemon USUM didn't make the trade in bonus this week, assuming they have before.

#1032 miketheplantguy   Banned Banned   600 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

miketheplantguy

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:37 PM

From everything I've seen this seems to be true. Keep the last game, which would be a high TIV game, and trade back in to reduce cost.

Plus points on buy in & trade of last game.

If everyone is going after the same high TIV games, they won't be available at the end to keep.

Plus the TIV might lower after the program

#1033 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

If everyone is going after the same high TIV games, they won't be available at the end to keep.

Plus the TIV might lower after the program

This is true in general and should be taken into account.

Based on the on current trade values at the elite pur level w/o a bonus the highest trade value on game is $30. If you live in an area with one gamestop you might have trouble. I'm in the middle of 15 gamestops, in an area where we used to go out in blizzards when blockbuster was a thing. But I've also lived in areas where people wouldn't't go to work/school when there was frost. So I don't see supply shortage or weather as an issue for me personally.

I don't see any Risk of Ruin for spending $60 of disposable income to increase my access to a gaming library. And the cost will be even less with the final game traded back in, although the cost reduction will be variable.

The one possibility that people seem to be missing is that essentially this program let's you do game trading short sales on margin.

#1034 ihadmail   Banned Banned   1038 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

ihadmail

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

I look at it as I will be spending $60 to try out/play through a nearly unlimited supply of games for 6 months. 

If I were to buy two used games for $30 each they would typically net me $15 COMBINED TIV during one of the shitty new trade promos.

If I can keep a game at the end and then trade it in for $20-30 I will be coming out ahead. 

#1035 KurishunaMaradi   You seem familiar, did I annoy you before? CAGiversary!   4323 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

KurishunaMaradi

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

Seems like they jacked up some of the prices on Xbox One games for the B2G1.

WHAT!? GS would never do that...

Spoiler

#1036 Faithful   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   715 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Faithful

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

Yep the rental program looks amazing. I honestly can't see myself buying hardly any games at all for Black Friday because of it, especially games I can finish in a week or less and be done with. I picked up 4 Redbox games for $20 on Monday and flipped them for $61 credit with $5 on Battlefront 2, which covers the price of 6 months of rentals and a Switch game at the end of it. Just too amazing of a promo to pass up. I hope GS does well enough with it to keep it going after it ends.

#1037 isaac clarke   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   55 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

isaac clarke

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

Still waiting on the details for the Pro sale.....

#1038 Viper X  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

11.jpg

13.jpg

**Offer valid 11/6/17-11/9/17 only. Free item(s) must be of equal or lesser value. Subject to availability by location. Prices subject to change. While supplies last. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.

***Offer valid 11/1/17-11/1/17 for Elite Pro and Pro members only. Free item(s) must be of equal or lesser value. Subject to availability by location. Prices subject to change. While supplies last. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.

#1039 Inferno700  

Inferno700

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

Yep the rental program looks amazing. I honestly can't see myself buying hardly any games at all for Black Friday because of it, especially games I can finish in a week or less and be done with. I picked up 4 Redbox games for $20 on Monday and flipped them for $61 credit with $5 on Battlefront 2, which covers the price of 6 months of rentals and a Switch game at the end of it. Just too amazing of a promo to pass up. I hope GS does well enough with it to keep it going after it ends.

My thoughts exactly. This killed nearly all deals for me except the hopes of a nice deal on Cuphead but then it's only $20 and I have so much credit.

#1040 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

It just has to have some huge thing that ruins it because gamestop. Ugh, i dont want to get nothing all year and nothing black friday then pay $60 and find the flaw.

#1041 Inferno700  

Inferno700

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

It just has to have some huge thing that ruins it because gamestop. Ugh, i dont want to get nothing all year and nothing black friday then pay $60 and find the flaw.

The only flaw I can see is not stocking up on cheap games on Black Friday expecting the rental program but it ends after the first 6 months.

#1042 tribalnoise   Official Threadkiller CAGiversary!   2043 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

tribalnoise

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

there will be some sort of late penalty, they just haven't revealed it yet. there's never been a rental service without it.

#1043 phxsuns14  

phxsuns14

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

Any good flips on the b2g1 Xbox games?

#1044 lochdoun   Coast to Coast CAGiversary!   638 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Still waiting on the details for the Pro sale.....

I don't know about this upcoming pro day sale. You have to think everything is gonna be cheaper a couple weeks from now on black friday, right? Or maybe the pro day prices will be the same as their bf offering. I wish their bf ad would leak.

#1045 ihadmail   Banned Banned   1038 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

ihadmail

there will be some sort of late penalty, they just haven't revealed it yet. there's never been a rental service without it.

The way the system is set up this is literally impossible. You pay the $60 and get one used game at a time until the 6 months is up. You keep whichever game you have at the end of the 6 months. 

#1046 strikeanywhere  

strikeanywhere

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:27 PM

I THINK that their motivation for doing this is that you need to keep coming back to the store to get a game - ergo, every time you're in the store, you might buy something else.  It might seem illogical to think "why would I ALSO buy a game when I'm picking up a free one to rent", but because they sell so much other junk now, there are plenty of things they're hoping that you buy.  Or you could come in and trade stuff in, too.

I really think they're doing this to just get people into their stores more often.

#1047 gamerdad101  

gamerdad101

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

Pro day ad.

https://www.gamestop...017/ProDays.pdf

#1048 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1879 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

Pro isn’t bad. Some BF level deals, some not so much. I was hoping to get some of y BB BF shopping done early.

Looks like I’ll be trading stuff in this weekend. Was hoping for half off South Park too

#1049 dkstariob   Banned Banned   399 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

dkstariob

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:41 PM

Buy 1 get 2 free clearance collectible.  30% trade in for Elite members.  Great prices for Pro Day.  Notables for those with tons of GameStop credit

Uncharted Lost Legacy - $19.99

Skyrim Remastered - $19.99 (cheaper than BB Black Friday)

Fallout 4 GOTY - $29.99

Horizon Zero Dawn - $19.99

Evil Within 2 - $29.99

#1050 gamerdad101  

gamerdad101

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:08 PM

The TV deal is some what interesting. I know it's priced $200 above everyone else but if the other deals stack for buying an Xbox it makes it an OK deal if you have tons of credit. I try to buy everything I can at Gamestop.