CAGcast #515: How Not to Table Trunk

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Toys R Us, Xbox One X, Destiny 2, Destiny 2, and so much more (Destiny 2)!

Download (1 hr 13 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

Today's show is brought to you by Hello Fresh, please visit HelloFresh.com and use the promo code cagcast30 to save $30 off your first week of deliveries when you subscribe.
Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Axwell /\ Ingrosso - More Than You Know (Firebeatz Rework)
Outro -Toys R Us Kid Commercial from the 80s
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
CAGcast on YouTube
Facebook
Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started listening, but thank you Wombat for dropping the knowledge on Cheapy regarding kids in cars.  I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old and I can't believe the mess they make back there. 

I was feeling less apathy this week. The boost in enthusiasm is much appreciated. I also appreciated Cheapy being on top of that Toys-R-Us story. Not only did he know what it was about when the talking point came up, but he had additional information to flesh out the discussion that hasn't been brought up in the general press. Very informative.

I love the podcast and have been a loyal member to CAG since 2003, but that Destiny 2 talk went on for waaaaaaay too long.  It sounded completely foreign to me and I actually think I started nodding off.  I know it may be a popular game and this may be an unpopular opinion , but do you think devoting about 20-25 minutes to 1 game may be a little excessive? Nevertheless, keep up the good work guys.

Regarding Destiny 2, snatcher33 said: "I know it may be a popular game and this may be an unpopular opinion , but do you think devoting about 20-25 minutes to 1 game may be a little excessive. "

It's seems like all anyone is talking about these days so I'm not surprised. I didn't mind it, personally. It helped solidify my dislike for the game. I'm sure it's fun especially for people who have gamer friends, but, my God, it all sounds so confusing. I stopped playing Destiny when I couldn't figure out how to leave the place where all the vendors, mailboxes, etc. were. I would turn it on, wander around trying to figure out how to actually go somewhere and fight baddies, give up and turn it off. I understand I could have looked it up and that Destiny 2 is improved in this respect but all the fiddling with weapons, vaults, shaders, ingrams (I did find this nice Ingram guide: https://youtu.be/aNtg1Nj_bfI?t=12s ), glimmer, purlple to shards, yellow helmet/gun/boots rules, pop-tarts at different stores, energy drinks, etc. It just doesn't seem fun to me. I know most stuff is optional but can't we just go back to the days where they just give you the whole game and it wasn't so complicated with all the fiddling around we find ourselves doing.

One other thing about Destiny 2. Shipwreck said "there's splitscreen, obviously". (I think he meant online co-op.) I am a big fan of local multiplayer (on a single device) so I went on a little internet hunt and couldn't find any evidence that Distiny 2 has it. If it does, it would be a game changer for me.

P.S. Not sure there was a need to dismiss the article about playing Destiny 2 as a parent. I do think the UK title is clickbait but to really get the most out of this game, you do need to have a somewhat flexible schedule in which large chunks of time can be devoted to playing with friends. Obviously this is difficult for many parents and others with packed schedules. It has everything to do with the combination of both being a parent and the game itself. (And why can't both kids be on the same stupid flag football team or least share the same schedule on nearby fields?!?)

I definitely meant to say “there’s no splitscreen, obviously”. Not sure what I actually said.
Well I went back and listened to it and...yeah you said "there's no splitscreen, obviously". My ears must have been malfunctioning. Or maybe it was wishful thinking.

By the way, thanks to the three of you for the podcast. I've tried / listen to lots of gaming podcasts but I like CAGCast the best because it's just fun to listen to.

I love the podcast and have been a loyal member to CAG since 2003, but that Destiny 2 talk went on for waaaaaaay too long. It sounded completely foreign to me and I actually think I started nodding off. I know it may be a popular game and this may be an unpopular opinion , but do you think devoting about 20-25 minutes to 1 game may be a little excessive? Nevertheless, keep up the good work guys.
The irony in this comment is hilarious based on the show feedback. "You don't talk enough about video games" then now "You talk too much about video games."

:p

Kotaku headline notwithstanding - I do think a lot of games are less "parent-friendly" these days, simply because you can't pause them in the traditional sense.  I spent a lot of time with Bloodborne and The Division over the past year, and neither of those games actually pause the action when you go into menus and such, even in single-player.  I haven't played Destiny but I'm assuming it's a similar case, being a mostly-online game.

(Full disclosure, I'm not a parent - but I am married, and I find this hard enough to work around already.  Throw kids into the mix and I'm sure it gets worse!)

Glad to see you guys are enjoying Destiny 2, Destiny is the game of the generation for me.  While Destiny was a deeply flawed game (especially in the beginning), it really shaped into something much better with the expansions.  The one thing that you guys haven't even touched yet is end-game which is the reason most of us play, and with the changes to Nightfall I'm finding things to be a little more rewarding with the sequel.  With that, grind out a bit more and stick with it.... you'll find the raid to be a unique experience you can't quite get anywhere else on a console.

Wombats assessment of Junkertown did not dissapoint me.

It sounds like you guys are having fun with Destiny 2, I didn't mind the discussion.

I think I'll pick up a Switch for the kids and I this Christmas. Been wanting to try Zelda even with Wombats review. With Mario Odyssey, Zelda, and Mario Kart (never owned a WiiU) and my son wanting Splatoon 2 and Arms, that makes 5 games we would get which finally makes the system seem worth it.

I'm genuinely surprised it's taken Toys 'R Us this long to slip into this Everything's Fine, We're Not Dying Off holding pattern Radio Shack's been in for a few years (I'm pretty sure that's the industry term).  During the ten non-Christmas months of the year, when's the last time you've been to your local Toys 'R Us and seen more than eight cars in the parking lot?

Not to knock you guys for doing research, but Microsoft announced they were releasing those old 360 games again  a month ago.

During Gamescom this week, Microsoft announced plans to bring three new Kinect video games to their Xbox One family of consoles, Disneyland Adventures, Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure, and Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/gamescom-2017-xbox-one-to-get-3-new-kinect-video-games

Kinect for the X works the same as the S the buyer would need to buy a USB adapter for the Kinect.

CAGcast listener for several years, first time posting.  Just wanted to say as a parent of two young kids I really like your show, your down to Earth take on gaming, and car cleanliness.  Two kids have also turned my car into a moving trash bin.  It does happen Cheapy!  You three provide a good trio of opinions on topics.

Anyway, don't sweat the feedback about lack of focus or preparation.  The CAGcast is a good show!  You guys have good takes on the industry as a whole, not just individual games or mechanics.

Vice posts a lot of their stuff on youtube if anyone wants an easy way to watch this (bitches)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRyU8vdrIss

Hey fellas, thanks as always for the show you do every week.

I just wanted to confirm something Shipwreck talked about a few weeks ago with the Dreamcade vs. RetroEngine Sigma.

The Sigma is a pain to setup and it takes hours to do it's initial configuration. Stay away.

After my experience with it I gave up on emulation and bought a Framemeister and a bunch of SCART cables. This is the way anyone even a little bit serious about classic games should do it. Don't waste your time with these emulation boxes.

Keep up the good work guys.

Cheapy is barely getting adjusted to how things are in the U.S. He's worried about Oreo cookies in other peoples cars, I vaguely remember a time when Cheapy used to throw rice off his balcony while he was living Japan!  :shock: Good Show guys, always looking forward to each episode!

Just wanted to mention that your love of Target is totally justified!

Got my SNES Classic there this morning. Great process of handing out tickets and even bottles of water to those of us in line a little before 8am local time. 

So, much better than Bestbuy. Tried them first, were supposed to hand out tickets at 7am local time. Around 7:20am, manager comes out and tells us that he decides when they hand out ticket, will probably be closer to 9am. I left and went to Target, which was 1000x better.

#Target4Lyfe

bread's done
Back