Retro-Bit DreamCast S-Video Cables Unshielded?

Marbles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Does anyone know if the DreamCast S-Video Cables are unshielded, or if this is just a fluke?

In May of this year, I bought the Retro-Bit S-Video Cable, it seemed to be working fine in my bedroom.

When I moved it from my Bedroom to my living room (Larger TV), when I plugged the console in.. there was a constant hum.

The hum sounded like a shop light/florescent light they continually grew in intensity. I checked all the cables, unplugged and plugged them back in.. even plugged them directly into my television (they were hooked up to a switch box first) and the hum persisted.

The hum only seemed to happen when either the composite or the S-video were connected, not the sound.. the hum would go away when there was movement on screen but static screens the hum would grow louder (like company logos, the dream cast set up screen.. etc etc...)

So, I dug out my original composite cables and hooked them up, and low and behold, the hum and all other problems were gone.

So, is this a problem with an unshielded cable?
Maybe there's a short in the cable?

Either way it's quite distracting.

(I also have a VGA Cable, but my living room tv has no VGA port.... and I brilliantly tried to hook the VGA to a VGA to S-video adapter.. to no avail)

Apologies

I tried again, and I was wrong.. it is the sound cables causing the hum.

The brighter the screen, the louder the hum and it's distracting and worrying.

Has anyone come across this problem?

I think I had the cables years ago, and they only ever gave me a black and white picture though S-video.  I since haven't touched S-video since moving on to a VGA box. 

I can't answer your question, but I can recommend an expensive but excellent solution to your VGA-less TV.  There is a high quality Dreamcast HDMI box called "Akura."  Response to them has been quite high.  I've been wanting to buy one myself, but haven't done it yet. 

https://www.beharbros.com/akura

I think I had the cables years ago, and they only ever gave me a black and white picture though S-video. I since haven't touched S-video since moving on to a VGA box.

I can't answer your question, but I can recommend an expensive but excellent solution to your VGA-less TV. There is a high quality Dreamcast HDMI box called "Akura." Response to them has been quite high. I've been wanting to buy one myself, but haven't done it yet.

https://www.beharbros.com/akura
I have VGA Cable for my Dreamcast by the same company.. BUT my tv no longer has a VGA Slot.

I tried a VGA to Component converter.. but only got a black screen.

bread's done
Back