AMZ: $24.99 Retroism Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunter (SNES Compatible)

Noticed that the fighting game Retroism Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunter, which is compatible with the original SNES is on sale for $24.99 which is 50% off.

I have zero experience with this game, but I do think it's pretty cool that it's a new SNES game. Maybe someone who has played it could let us know how it is?

Here's a link to gameplay if you're interested.
Have not played the game myself, but have seen a few reviews that say the game is terrible even in the context of other SNES fighters. Since it is a new physical release SNES game in 2017 though, it's almost worth the $25 just to add it to your collection. I've considered it myself, but I can't justify buying a game that I know I will never play.

Waiting for it to drop below $20. They’ve been playing with the price for a week or two. It’ll be cheaper tomorrow just watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have not played the game myself, but have seen a few reviews that say the game is terrible even in the context of other SNES fighters. Since it is a new physical release SNES game in 2017 though, it's almost worth the $25 just to add it to your collection. I've considered it myself, but I can't justify buying a game that I know I will never play.
Had the game actually matched the box art it was emulating and be a castlevania type experience I would have maybe considered it. But yeah, the actual fighting game here (just watching others play it) looks like absolute garbage and I know I wouldn't play it. No sense in me buying yet another game to shelve only to later have to go through the hassle of selling it on.

I would not get these carts anyway, as they are not made with the same manufacturing process as an actual SNES cart. Remember that warning about the SF2 Anniversary carts? Same thing applies here. Don't risk your 25 year old system on a cheap repro.

I would not get these carts anyway, as they are not made with the same manufacturing process as an actual SNES cart. Remember that warning about the SF2 Anniversary carts? Same thing applies here. Don't risk your 25 year old system on a cheap repro.
As someone who has made repros I can tell you a repro is just a regular cart that is opened up, reprogrammed and had its label replaced to reflect the new game on the board. Very rarely does anyone make a new outer shell or board inside. Though it does happen.

If you actually read that warning it stated that because the system is deemed retro, the carts can’t be warrantied to replace your system if they fry it. Aka no difference than playing any cartridge.

I don’t know where you get your information from but I bet it’s a stinky place.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who has made repros I can tell you a repro is just a regular cart that is opened up, reprogrammed and had its label replaced to reflect the new game on the board. Very rarely does anyone make a new outer shell or board inside. Though it does happen.

If you actually read that warning it stated that because the system is deemed retro, the carts can’t be warrantied to replace your system if they fry it. Aka no difference than playing any cartridge.

I don’t know where you get your information from but I bet it’s a stinky place.
At some point, it's probably cheaper to manufacture a new PCB board in a new shell with a new label than it is shuffle though old carts to find usable ones, dumb a new ROM in there and replace the label. Reusing old carts might save on manufacturing costs but definitely requires more time. Economics of scale and all that.

At some point, it's probably cheaper to manufacture a new PCB board in a new shell with a new label than it is shuffle though old carts to find usable ones, dumb a new ROM in there and replace the label. Reusing old carts might save on manufacturing costs but definitely requires more time. Economics of scale and all that.
Oh for sure. If you’re making thousands of carts I would imagine it would start to get difficult to find cheap carts to cannabalize. But really, new manufacturing wouldn’t save much as you’d still have to produce the new label and write the rom to the board and assemble the cart. With 3D printers being so affordable it probably would start to get cheaper to just make the housing and buy fresh boards in bulk.

You do realize that these carts are exactly the same as the carts you see on Aliexpress? Nobody is actually manufacturing the 5V chips, when they can use a 3.3V tiny chip with blob.
https://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/05/the-dangers-of-3-3v-flash-in-retro-consoles/
If they are trying to pass a cart off as legitimate they wouldn’t touch new chips. They’d be spotted immediately. If they are lazy or cheap (or possibly just making home brew games) they might. There’s a reason there’s entire websites dedicated to detecting fakes. IIRC there’s one that has pictures of every possible board for every NES/SNES game. Though you can tell pretty much immediately if you see signs of fresh soldering if they are the least bit sloppy. All these new cheap parts would definitely explain why there’s been a sizable decrease in price of repros from just a couple years ago.

Also looking at that post those boards look absolutely nothing like legit boards. Some literally have everdrive printed on them. I think these are specific to multicarts and not repros.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back