CAGcast #518: Sweet Business

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks loot boxes, Shadow of War, Oculus Go, Destiny 2, and so much more!

Download (1 hr 18 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

Today's show is brought to you by Harrys. Please visit http://www.harrys.com/cagcast to get your free trial shave set when you sign up. Just pay for shipping!

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Professional Widow [Armand's Star Trunk Funkin' Mix]
Outro - More Jar Jar!
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
CAGcast on YouTube
Facebook
Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you guys like Destiny 2 so much I kind of wish you'd but it for Xbox too if you ever planned on rerolling a new character.

Yeah, I feel Shipwreck's troubleshooting. Seems like with any 4K TV with HDR, you need to enable an enhanced mode for that HDMI input.

Its a crime that some of the background jokes that Wombat rattles off go unnoticed. The comment about being ghosted by the Samsung TV had me in tears. 

My advice to Wombat is get an X900E or something of similar quality if you're using it as your main gaming display. There should be good deals next month.

I did have to set the HDMI input my PS4 Pro uses to Enhanced, but that was it. And it tells you when HDR is being displayed with a little box in the right corner of the picture settings.

I was in Target tonight, and there was a DropMix kiosk set up. Based on hearing about it from the CAGCast, I tried it out. Honesty, it was pretty cool. The more cards I dropped, the more the remix changed. The beat I heard was actually pretty good! I wasn't sure what I was doing, but I can see it being a fun experience.

Wombat, iTunes sent out an email that you have to download the Movies Anywhere app before it syncs your iTunes movies.

Not the first time commentor, but a long time listener.

I would like to add some context to what CheapyD said. I have a Mexican neighbor (yes, he is from Mexico) that was having a birthday party the other day. He and his buddies invited me to eat some BBQ. While enjoying some Carne Asada they spoke about how much they hate Chinese people, and that they are coming for their jobs.

They said this all in English. Most of the times I'm around Hispanics they speak exclusively in Spanish. But, many people are concerned about the Chinese taking over.

Love the show. Overwatch sucks

Now shipwreck should trade his ps4 for a ps4 pro and report back his impressions. He's already started down that dark, gaming path lol.

Hey guys, as always, love listening!  Just wanted to touch on the Chinese language thing... 

My wife is a foreign language teacher (Spanish), and she said that it's been hard to find qualified Chinese language teachers.  Also, it WOULD be smart to take the course due to the likelihood of the global economy, as Cheapy mentioned.  However, many high school students, especially the high achieving ones, are min/maxing high school to get the best GPA for college and college scholarships.  Chinese is a very difficult language for English speakers to learn, as opposed to many of the other Romantic languages often offered.

Finally, as for Latin, it is a base language not just for other languages, but for students going into Law or Med school, where lots of terminology stems from Latin.  

You guys are the best, keep doing what you do!

I agree with Wombat on the Overwatch loot box thing. I would much rather just buy skins out right instead of having to hope to get them from some bullshit slot machine.

I won't spend money on random chance boxes, but I would spend money on just being able to buy what I want.

Shipwreck, Thank you for highlighting the Golf Story game.  It is an fun game.  Sure the quests are a little silly, and the writing can be a bit corny at times.  But there is just something super addictive and fun about the game.

I rarely find myself agreeing with CheapyD but I the idea of teaching Latin over Chinese seems very silly.  The only benefit I can see to learning Latin is if you are going into medical school to get a better understanding of the pronunciation of terms.  Even that is a pretty big stretch.  Does the school district have a large population of Catholics or Italian mob families in it?  When CheapyD said "I play so many games, I need to take a break...", I was dumb founded.  Most of us are trying to find ways to squeak out a few extra minutes here and there to play games, such a very different life.

Lastly I will say I really enjoyed the conversation about Loot Boxes.  These conversations about gaming culture and different aspects of the gaming world are really interesting.  Not the same old "I played (insert game name here), what did you play?" conversations.  It was very substantial, much like the conversation you had when you discussed why the WiiU did not sell well.

Finally, as for Latin, it is a base language not just for other languages, but for students going into Law or Med school, where lots of terminology stems from Latin.  

I knew a lot of medical terms derive from Greek and Latin.  But I totally forgot that legal system is full of Latin terms.  Good point!

I took four years of honors Latin in high school, and the greatest benefit I derived came in my English classes (and SAT as Wombat mentioned).  Once you know the Latin roots, you can figure out pretty much any unfamiliar English term.  Plus, Latin doesn't have punctuation marks so you have to continually focus on suffixes to reorder the words in a sentence that makes sense.  For example, amica means "friend" but if it's spelled amicae it could mean "of the friend" or "to the friend" or plural "friends" depending on the other words in proximity.  Translation of classic oratory by Cicero and others is a really rewarding intellectual exercise. I learned much more about subject-verb-object/indirect object in Latin than I ever did in my English classes, and it helped me to become a better writer too.

I want dropmix for 30 dollars off!  sounds like a great game to play during the christmas get together.  How do i get that discount???

Shipwreck saying the economy of loot boxes will sort itself out and we'll be fine, followed by Cheapy saying $3 (1/20th of the full price of a $60 game) seems like a fair price for a single character skin, is why I'm not confident this will work itself out. Can you imagine telling someone from 2004 that people in 2017 think a single skin for $3 is a fair price*? We've thoroughly normalized being nickeled and dimed, and are quickly doing the same with loot boxes that prey on people with addictive tendencies and damage the balance of single-player games for everyone regardless of whether they buy these boxes or not. 

(*I realize that's far from the craziest thing they could tell a 2004 person about 2017, but still.)

Long time listener since 07-08, first time commenter. I recently started going back to the archives from day one and am enjoying these episodes. It’s refreshing to hear your guys’ opinions and general coversation about video games when you were in your late twenties/early thirties before you guys had kids and any real responsibility besides work( for wombat). I’m 29 and have a job as a social worker, the archives fill in the time between driving to my clients homes and working at the office. I recently felt a bit out of place with some of my friends and family members around my age having kids and going through those life events while I’m busy with work , listening to podcasts, gaming and hanging out with my girlfriend. Me and my gf are not sure if we ever want kids but it made me feel better hearing you guys sound like I do at this age in regards to video games , love of REZ, ( I recently bought Psvr for Rez, the soundtrack on tape , vinyl and streaming for use at the gym ) and miscellaneous life/ work situations. Keep up the good work and I look forward to your show every week. PS Shipwreck takes the cake with nerdy couple moments with his Xbox grooms cake.

Just an FYI that the DropMix Discover packs have been confusingly marketed. They are not blind/random, there are 5 distinct packs in series 1 and 5 in series 2, with the contents identifiable by the visible art. I'm really not sure what they are going for because I've seen a lot of people thinking they are random.

bread's done
Back