CAGcast #521: Super Frank Odyssey

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, Bubsy, Super Beat Sports, Xbox One X, and so much more!

Download (1 hr 26 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

Today's show is brought to you by Hello Fresh, please visit HelloFresh.com and use the promo code cagcast30 to save $30 off your first week of deliveries when you subscribe.
Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Faithless - Insomnia 2017 (Cortez Remix)
Outro - Doot The Mario
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
CAGcast on YouTube
Facebook
Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my boys trick or treating this year and saw a healthy amount of parents drinking alcohol while walking with their children. There were even three houses that were handing out alcohol to adults (one house gave out rumchatta shots, another gave out hot apple cider with spiced rum, and another just had an open cooler with bottles of beer on their porch). I politely declined each offer. I'm not opposed to drinking (in fact, I enjoy it on occasion), but drinking alcohol at children's events just seems weird to me. I also find it strange that Chuck E. Cheese's serves beer.

On a side note, my boys both chose video game inspired costumes this year: Ash Ketchum and Link.

This is the first time I've really wished I had 280 characters on Twitter, since Cheapy only saw half of my "Xbox One X v. iPhone X" question (my fault). I realize that smartphones are way more useful and consequential for daily life than a gaming console. My question is more: both are expensive upgrades to existing, cheaper options. Neither are for everyone, but it seems that people are generally okay with the hefty price tag of a new iPhone but that the One X is getting a lot of heat for costing $500. Are we just not used to the idea of mid-cycle console upgrades yet? Is there a substantial difference between a mid-cycle upgrade for a console and the hottest hardware refresh for the iPhone?

To me, it's not a problem for Microsoft that the One S is so much cheaper. People who want an inexpensive way to play Xbox games will buy that and have a blast. Idiots like me who buy the One X (though to be fair I'm doing it with GameStop credit as opposed to "real money") are fine with the luxury price tag.

It makes sense in the long run for console manufacturers to upgrade existing platforms over time, allowing customers to play games they own on whatever machine they can afford. The hard cut to a new console generation costs everyone way more in time and money. I just wonder how long it will take people to accept something they already accept in other tech areas.

Can’t believe Cheapy’s incredulous response to Shipwreck saying that Cheapy probably won’t like Mario. You know you’re not gonna like Mario. This will play out just like it always does. You’re gonna say, “It’s okay I guess... I don’t get why it has a 97 on Metacritic though.”
Hey what a surprise. My comment from last week played out exactly like I expected it would. Never change Cheapy, I wouldn't expect you to.

Cheapy D, to classy to drink while trick or treating with his kid, but not classy enough to mute the loudest audible fart in Cagcast history.

I really wish that Zelda BOTW had an assist mode.  Just tell me where to go so I'm not wasting an hour just to see the sights.  [Funny I posted this while listening to the show before Wombat mentioned it]  Wombat you're a genius!  

This is the first time I've really wished I had 280 characters on Twitter, since Cheapy only saw half of my "Xbox One X v. iPhone X" question (my fault). I realize that smartphones are way more useful and consequential for daily life than a gaming console. My question is more: both are expensive upgrades to existing, cheaper options. Neither are for everyone, but it seems that people are generally okay with the hefty price tag of a new iPhone but that the One X is getting a lot of heat for costing $500. Are we just not used to the idea of mid-cycle console upgrades yet? Is there a substantial difference between a mid-cycle upgrade for a console and the hottest hardware refresh for the iPhone?

To me, it's not a problem for Microsoft that the One S is so much cheaper. People who want an inexpensive way to play Xbox games will buy that and have a blast. Idiots like me who buy the One X (though to be fair I'm doing it with GameStop credit as opposed to "real money") are fine with the luxury price tag.

It makes sense in the long run for console manufacturers to upgrade existing platforms over time, allowing customers to play games they own on whatever machine they can afford. The hard cut to a new console generation costs everyone way more in time and money. I just wonder how long it will take people to accept something they already accept in other tech areas.
I wasn’t buying Shipwreck’s argument at all. First of all you can get the same functionality with a phone that comes “free” with your plan. Second, even if you have to have an Apple phone all of the things he mentioned are already present in your existing iPhone, again at no additional cost. So your point was completely valid; people are spending a lot of money for trivial luxury features that don’t have any meaningful impact of the utility of the phone. Personally I won’t spend the money on either, but if I had to choose the improved Xbox graphics even if barely noticeable bring more value.

Really expected Wombat to make a remark like "Why does she need PS Plus then" when Cheapy mentioned the person who couldnt use their computer because of no electricity in PR.  There was a bit of silence between both Ship & Wombat so i assume they may have been thinking it. 

I'm loving all this library talk!  For some reason its a completely overlooked resource when it comes to gaming.  Keep it up and keep using your local library.  It's a pillar of the community!

Great show & thanks for the new episodes every week.  

I'm with cheapy and wombat on BOTW. Give me an easy mode, I'm not too proud for that. I love Zelda and the world but there are so many other games to play without spending hours making little progress in Zelda.

I wasn’t buying Shipwreck’s argument at all. First of all you can get the same functionality with a phone that comes “free” with your plan. Second, even if you have to have an Apple phone all of the things he mentioned are already present in your existing iPhone, again at no additional cost. So your point was completely valid; people are spending a lot of money for trivial luxury features that don’t have any meaningful impact of the utility of the phone. Personally I won’t spend the money on either, but if I had to choose the improved Xbox graphics even if barely noticeable bring more value.
I think the way my question was broke up threw them, for good reason. Without the part about why we accept one expensive mid-cycle refresh and not another I sounded like a troll bashing Apple and propping up MS. I am getting an X, but only because I have the GS flip credit to buy it outright. If I used a smartphone enough to have a contract plan I'd probably own an iPhone (though $1000 real money is a bit rich for my blood). It all depends on the person and their needs. The One X isn't for everyone and that's fine, but I'm not going to say an iPhone X is overpriced just because I don't have a reason to get one.

Just an FYI that Wombat didn't mention, Mario Odyssey's Assist Mode also makes it so you don't drown in water.

And Cheapy sounds like some 4chan troll. Like he doesn't want to admit that Nintendo can make good games.
Critics definitely let people know when Mario games are terrible.

I'm a little late listening to this, but when Christian started the show, I really thought he was exaggerating when he said that the mic quality was terrible and that Wombat was to blame for not saying anything. BUT BOY, when that episode started and I heard how bad it actually was, I bursted out laughing. Wombat, could you really not tell that his audio was terrible or were you trying to be considerate to your buddy at the expense of show listeners so he wouldn't feel bad?

A Japanese studio made Nioh, which is a fantastic game and a great looking game, especially on PS4 Pro.  I hope Sucker Punch can make as big a leap in quality as Guerilla Games did going from Killzone to Horizon, cause their Infamous games were janky and annoying, and had mostly awful characters.

3079846-nioh_screenshot01.jpg

When I heard Wombat say he wasn't interested in a Japan-focused Assassin's Creed I thought this must be a New Wombat, as the Wombat I'm familiar with has mentioned no fewer than 10 times through the years how much he enjoyed Jade Empire. Then when we got to the XBox Gifting convo I realized, "Nope, same ol' Wombat." 

When I heard Wombat say he wasn't interested in a Japan-focused Assassin's Creed I thought this must be a New Wombat, as the Wombat I'm familiar with has mentioned no fewer than 10 times through the years how much he enjoyed Jade Empire. Then when we got to the XBox Gifting convo I realized, "Nope, same ol' Wombat."
Jade Empire is based on China. It is not a game about Japan.

Love the show guys.  I don't post as much here anymore due to kids and life but I still make time for a video game or two each month.  I also never miss the CAGcast.  I listen to a lot of shit in the car on my commute and the CAGcast is one of the highest quality shows out there (in terms of content and production). 

Drinking while trick-or-treating is NOT a new thing.  I used to pull the red wagon and a cooler around the neighborhood 10+ years ago.  Most people in my town walk around with some sort of beverage on Halloween to keep warm.  These days it's mainly my wife making fancy sangria for her friends since I am no longer manly enough to drink a beer and get up for work the next morning.  Wombat is also right in that this is the only thing all year that we do with the kids where alcohol is involved.

Keep up the great work.

If there is a Nintendo bias among critics then why did the previous Mario (Mario 3D World) and Zelda (Skyward Sword) entries score 4-5 points lower than this years' Mario and Zelda on Metacritic?

Also doesn't explain why Triforce Heroes and Hyrule Warriors average scores around the 70s. Is it that hard to believe that people just happen to enjoy BotW and Odyssey? We never hear Cheapy complain about the high scores other publishers receive.

If you look at the overall score distribution, it seems to paint an accurate picture of how Nintendo games are received overall by critics and the public.

http://www.metacritic.com/company/nintendo

First I agree BotW needs an assist mode. Zelda is my favorite franchise far and away and I loved what I played of BotW, but I put it down because I felt like I was spinning my wheels. 

On the topic of 4K and HDR; Xbox and PS4 support HDR10 not dolby vision and most streaming services support HDR10 and Dolby Vision. I think VUDU is the only one that doesn't support HDR10 but they have said they are adding it. So there is a standard and this isn't like Blu Ray v HD-DVD or VHS v Beta it is more like a codac format: think MP3 vs ACC or WMA. Basically if you have an HDR TV you will have HDR10 decoding as it's an open standard and licensees free. 

Wombat isn't wrong, per say, that Dolby Vision is the better HDR on paper, but again XBOX and PS4 do not support them. They could patch them in at some point, but every time the question comes up both say "not at this time" code for not going to happen anytime soon. 

Some tech blogs have sold this as a format war, but honestly if you have an HDR TV and it's only HDR10 you will be fine. My 4k is a TCL 4k with HDR, but it only supports HDR10 I paid a tad over 300 and all HDR content I throw at it looks great. I would stay away from a non HDR 4k TVs just because. Like Ship I have a projector setup that I use a majority of the time when gaming and watching movies so I don't see myself throwing a bunch of money right now at a PS4 pro or X1X. Once I can get an HDR 4k projector at a good price then I will. 

bread's done
Back