* * * * - 5 votes

GameStop Black Friday 2017 Ad Scan

#241 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3614 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

Do you wanna pay $80 for new video games and have studios downsized from hundreds of 50k+ salaried employes to a small handful? No? Get used to microtransactions then.

Yeah, that'd be great. These bloated AAA titles are fucking pathetic. They are so far removed to what gaming is at its core that I find every single one of them as nothing more than a gigantic commercial. The bulk of my money is spent on niche titles as it is, and the tiny percentage of money I spend on these "must play" titles are either through Redbox or when they inevitably go on sale for pennies on the dollar. 

#242 destinyruinedmylife  

destinyruinedmylife

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:17 PM

We're STILL using this "they can't afford to make the games" nonsense, saying it's going to make the game $80, in a thread where the game is on-sale for $25 less than 2 months after release? They're already pushing the $30 Season Pass on top of the $60 base game. They clearly weren't struggling with money when they sold the first game for $60. They must have made pretty good money on that economic model, if they decided to make a follow-up.

I find this argument hilarious--"do you want it to cost $80?" as it's $25-30 all over the place. But, to answer your questions, yes, I would ABSOLUTELY rather a game cost $80 upfront and be completed at launch, if the alternative is $60, plus $30 in DLC, plus a system that allows you to purchase progression. I would take that 100/100 times.

It's a real issue. Why do you think so many studios and shut down and layoffs are frequent in the industry?

Also, devs typically don't set the price that stores sell games for. If anything, Shadow of War was so successful that selling it for $25 now wouldn't hurt their profit margins at all.

#243 Viper X  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:23 PM

There is a B2G1 on pre-owned products sale on the back page of the ad (not sure if anyone mentioned it, since most were focused on GS trying to become Blockbuster mishap).

#244 phxsuns14  

phxsuns14

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

Anyone plan on flipping games next week??

#245 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4373 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:48 PM

As someone who actually owns the game, I can tell you it's a nonissue. Microtransactions only suck when they halt progress in a game or provide a real advantage against other players. Many other people (professional reviewers included) have come out to say that they never once felt the need to buy them to progress. Do you wanna pay $80 for new video games and have studios downsized from hundreds of 50k+ salaried employes to a small handful? No? Get used to microtransactions then.

The argument that we'd suddenly get $80 games is ridiculous.   Clearly the market wouldn't support $80 games, so that just means... developers would continue to make a $60 game and stick within that budget.   And I guarantee the games would look an awful lot like right now, since plenty of wonderful AAA games stick to a $60 msrp budget.  

Besides, microtransactions are a way to make continued revenue, but it's not like they throw extra money at the game up front.  That is, if a game is given a $X million total budget, it's created at that budget regardless of whether they add microtransactions.  It's not like they say, oh, you have microtransactions? Here's another $20 million to make the game better up front! Never going to happen. 

#246 Lil Frier  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:48 PM

It's a real issue. Why do you think so many studios and shut down and layoffs are frequent in the industry?

Also, devs typically don't set the price that stores sell games for. If anything, Shadow of War was so successful that selling it for $25 now wouldn't hurt their profit margins at all.

There's a problem of funding games that work as a service, that's a real matter to address. However, much of the "service" on a game like Shadow of War​ is fixing problems they should have dealt with before launch (I shouldn't have to fund making a game work after I paid $60 for a working game) or additions of paid content. Were we talking Battlefront 2​, where they have removed the $50 DLC pass, then there would be a question of how to fund additional content that they work on. However, the cost of games is also met by the profits. There are more gamers than ever before, so the increase in costs is balanced by the increase in buyers. Plus, as digital has become a more common purchase method for console users, the profit margins per-unit have gone up, as used game sales aren't as plentiful and costs like the physical packaging, shipping, storage, pressing, and retailer cuts are removed from the equation.

Again, companies aren't going broke here like rocks. Go look at the money EA pulled in last year, it's insane. A LOT of it is from digital add-on content, be it a pass or microtransaction, but even if you were to remove that, they wouldn't be losing money.

Lil+Frier.png

Currently Playing: :xb1:: Battlefield 1, Forza Horizon 3; :ps4:: NONE, :3ds:: Pokémon Y,    :wiiu:: NONE; :pc:: NONE

#247 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2378 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:53 PM

I've seen instances in at least 3 different threads where you go on rambling paragraphs about how amazing Sony is and how Xbox is going to be dead/sold off. If someone told me Sony was paying you, I wouldn't be surprised.

What are you talking about?  Yeah, Xbox is not doing that great this generation.  I think reasonable minds who pay any attention to this industry and listen to some gaming podcasts know this.  It's not a fake fact, unless you're one of those crazies.  Even Xbox reporters like IGN's Ryan McCaffery on Unlocked talks about struggles this generation.

And as to MS selling off the Xbox division - that's been a reported rumor for SOME time.  Numerous blogs and financial pundits have covered the stories that some shareholders are not all-in on the idea of Xbox and where it fits in Microsoft's corporate structure.

What an ass.  Next time you go around pointing fingers at people, do some fucking research.  Just because somebody says something that's a fact doesn't suddenly mean he/she is in a camp.  Yeah, I like games -- I think again reasonable minds can agree that when it comes to first party exclusives, Sony is doing a better job this generation.  I will easily say MS did a much better job during the 360 (I should know, I have one and a lot of games for it).

What an idiot.  If there's any "fanboy" here, Kotor15 reeks of one.

HENSHIN A GO GO BABY!

161803_s.gif   200.gif

#248 Stellar Inertia   Completionist CAGiversary!   4296 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Stellar Inertia

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:14 AM

Two ongoing pointless arguments. Love it.

512847.png

#249 Kotor15   Okay kiddos, prepare to be schooled CAGiversary!   2789 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:22 AM

Way too much effort.

Uhhhhh

#250 Electroplasm   Destroy Erase Improve CAGiversary!   1515 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Electroplasm

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:07 AM

$30 for yakuza 0 is still too much to me. It came out at the beginning of the yr...holding out for $20-$25. I bought kiwami at launch for under $25 with gcu and i still have to finish 5 anyway.

red3ds.gifg27-gaming-wheels-images.pngg27-gaming-wheels-images.png

#251 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   13979 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:24 AM

Anyone plan on flipping games next week??

I would try holding off on trading games next weekend as it's employee trade boost weekend so I'm betting GS lowers the trade value on games. Could be wrong though.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#252 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2670 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:51 AM

Stupid question; the PS4 with $50 is in-store only, right?

#253 ironmenpb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   485 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:03 AM

I would try holding off on trading games next weekend as it's employee trade boost weekend so I'm betting GS lowers the trade value on games. Could be wrong though.

you are correct. this weekend is employee trade boost. so they dropped the trade values.  which sucked cause i lost out on over $50 in extra credit.

#254 semmelweis  

semmelweis

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:59 AM

Ad says online and in store. I assume you would get the GC if you bought online.

#255 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:28 AM

It's showing as available online in the app right now so pretty sure it's both. Test it out for us and report back. ;)

#256 breezee   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   142 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:35 AM

If you have the $10 coupons from the canceled glitches, it works on Sony sale prices.

#257 zekana  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:50 AM

Never bought off of GameStop's website before, does it accept PayPal?

#258 caaalvin  

caaalvin

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:11 AM

If you have the $10 coupons from the canceled glitches, it works on Sony sale prices.

what sale prices?

#259 Klatchiansteel   Gump CAGiversary!   33 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Klatchiansteel

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:32 AM

what sale prices?

I get the joke but this is more readable:

https://www.gamestop...v=16k-3-sonybfw

So Knack 2, Horizon, and Uncharteds.

Last of us and Everybody Golf.

List complete.

#260 Mythplus  

Mythplus

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:36 AM

what sale prices?

What glitches?

#261 ~starlight~   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1020 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

~starlight~

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

what sale prices?

https://blog.us.play...deals-revealed/ <--- "enforced" Sony sale lol

#262 Jommy   I wish I could come up with a cool title CAGiversary!   2053 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

When do you guys think we probably need to line up for the ps4 deal on BF?

#263 mrclutch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3599 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

I don’t think you’ll need to line up for a PS4. Just my opinion though.

Tastes like chicken.

#264 Jommy   I wish I could come up with a cool title CAGiversary!   2053 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:07 PM

I don’t think you’ll need to line up for a PS4. Just my opinion though.

I hope so!

#265 Dranakin   Member Since Oct 2003 CAGiversary!   2458 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:56 PM

Someone remind me how GameStop works: since TLoU is on sale for $10 on their website as a pre-BF sale, does it also ring up that way in-store?

#266 caaalvin  

caaalvin

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

I get the joke but this is more readable:

https://www.gamestop...v=16k-3-sonybfw

So Knack 2, Horizon, and Uncharteds.

Last of us and Everybody Golf.

List complete.

https://blog.us.play...deals-revealed/ <--- "enforced" Sony sale lol

Believe it or not I was serious lol wasn't aware that they released some prices ahead of time. 

#267 Only One Haze   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   213 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Only One Haze

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Someone remind me how GameStop works: since TLoU is on sale for $10 on their website as a pre-BF sale, does it also ring up that way in-store?

Answered in other thread, yes it is in store

Xbox One: Only One Haze

#268 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1475 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

I’m sorry if it has been answered before but it’s a visa gift card for the $60 360s right? You get in mail later ?

#269 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   13979 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

I’m sorry if it has been answered before but it’s a visa gift card for the $60 360s right? You get in mail later ?

It is a gift card you get in the mail afterwards yes. Usually it's a Visa but I'm not 100% sure.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#270 unFunGames  

unFunGames

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

How bad is Gamestop for Black Friday in regards to crowds? I've never been. I know within 2 weeks after Christmas is a nightmare. Last year they had some good deals and I had to stand in long ass lines.