All store target received Classic SNES in stock in stores only

Istocknow.com only shows 159 stores in stock, Target must be hiding the inventory numbers. Walmart on the other hand shows 1117 stores in stock.

None of the Targets anywhere near me have it according to their inventory checker but their inventory checker is incredibly unreliable. 

I got one on launch but I'd like to get another as a gift. 

Not showing in stock at any store within 50 miles of me. :{ Considering just going to Target after work

Yeah, just stopped by my Target, and they haven’t had any in a couple of weeks.

All five targets near me don't have them either. A few weeks ago they were flush but the BF crowds really thinned them out.

This is definitely not the case. None of the targets close to me had any in stock and of the one store I asked they said the last unit they sold was on the 28th. Guess it's only for a limited number of stores.

Was at GameStop about an hour ago and they had about 8 behind the counter, employee said they just got them in today

Targets near me have not had any for a couple weeks, but yesterday there was 4 Walmarts around me with a total of about 70 systems according to brickseek. Most I have seen at one time.

Beyond the nostalgia, why do any of you want this?  Emulators are a thing, and even with a little tinkering your Wii, Wiiu, ps3, psp etc. can do just as good a job playing these old games.  

Beyond the reseller fever and making a few bucs (not anymore), I don't get it.

Beyond the nostalgia, why do any of you want this? Emulators are a thing, and even with a little tinkering your Wii, Wiiu, ps3, psp etc. can do just as good a job playing these old games.

Because people are lazy I guess (not meant to be a huge insult, we all are), I often wonder the same thing. If playing on a TV is a HUGE deal...I mean especially with Steam Link so cheap now and how you can take 20min to set that up to run any emulator your PC can handle on your TV with no noticeable lag at all. Then if you're a bit more ambitious get a RsbyPi system, can even get them premade. Or, like you said, if you're even more ambitious run it from a console. If a TV isn't a huge deal even crappy computers or laptops will run most games really well...shoot even phones and tablets will.

Guess it's really just the convenience for most people (lazy, haha).

I’d like a preinstalled emmulator type of device. Can some one steer me in the right direction as to how to take advantage of classic gaming.

A work around copping the snes, id love to play classic games without the use of a pc.

Thanks in advance !! #happyholidays

Beyond the nostalgia, why do any of you want this? Emulators are a thing, and even with a little tinkering your Wii, Wiiu, ps3, psp etc. can do just as good a job playing these old games.

you can hack this and load snes roms while using snes controllers. from what i read the coders actually found a source code in the snes software by developers to enjoy loading the roms into it

you can hack this and load snes roms while using snes controllers. from what i read the coders actually found a source code in the snes software by developers to enjoy loading the roms into it
You're still paying $80(+) for something you could get for a fraction of the price or even free depending what you already own, though. If you're buying it to mod you're essentially paying $80 for a shell and controllers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Because it's a pre-built HDMI machine that can use just about any licensed post-Wii controller. It's a solid console and has instant gratification, so it's very appealing in a mass market. It's the same reason Windows is the most widely used OS out there despite Linux being a thing.

For me it's just a cool nostalgia/collector's item. I also don't like ROMS. Everyone knows it illegal and yes I know people don't care. But I just choose not to use them unless I have a copy of the original cart.

And despite how easy it is to set up an emulator with ROMS, 99% of the population doesn't know how to do it. So they'll just buy this thing instead.

As a techie that has multiple retro pie units, NT Mini and a Super NT Mini on order I can say these are awesome little boxes. They are fun and look cool and I like the save states...the more ways i can put nes/snes around my home the better. I dont understand the hate on these they work really well. 

Then if you're a bit more ambitious get a RsbyPi system, can even get them premade.
Raspberry Pi3 is a slippery slope. I bought one on a whim while it was on sale with no real plans for it. Now I’m in the process of building my own home arcade cabinet. About $400 later, I’m almost done with it.

You're still paying $80(+) for something you could get for a fraction of the price or even free depending what you already own, though. If you're buying it to mod you're essentially paying $80 for a shell and controllers.
Well, having the controllers for these games is a big deal to some of us and the console is also incredibly portable - it's quite tiny and easy to hook up just about anywhere.

I dumped an additional 40 ROMS on mine so I've got a nice library of games that I can take just about anywhere.

Value is relative but I feel it's more than justified here. (And I've done tons of emulating in the past)

For the cost of one game, I have a system and controllers that I can give to my kids and not worry about them breaking my classic stuff, and they can travel with it or play it in the car because of it's size.

I can only really see three reasons why you would want to spend money on this.

1. You want the most hassle free way of playing games of that console

2. You refuse to play "illegal" roms

3. You want as close to the original feel of the console as possible hence you don't want to mod another console to get those games on said console

I think that about sums it up. Did I miss anything? I'm surprised (and at the same time not surprised) that these things sell so well. I thought by now most people already had a reliable way of playing old school games. Either this world is full of super moral people who believe illegal roms are very very bad or people just literally can't be bothered with setting up their own way of playing these old school games on their own.

For the cost of one game, I have a system and controllers that I can give to my kids and not worry about them breaking my classic stuff, and they can travel with it or play it in the car because of it's size.
That's a valid point. Had no idea you could take it to your car. What kind of cable hookups does it have?

“I don’t understand why somebody would buy something I don’t like. That’s ludicrous. Just buy stuff that I like or approve of and everybody can be happy.”

One thing a lot of people are missing about the SNES Classic vs. Pi3, Wii/Wii U VC, or other emulators is the much better image quality with the SNES Classic. Graphics are crisp and colors are well saturated with the SNES, whereas the graphics on the Pi3 (and other emulators) are fuzzy and the colors are dull and muted. Here are a few YouTube comparisons for proof:

https://youtu.be/2fCFfHjeAv0

https://youtu.be/ocGdWRF84Q0

The SNES Classic really has superior image quality when compared to the other emulation options out there, which makesit well worth the purchase.

Well for one thing, a RetroPie setup isn't a fraction of the price, unless maybe you go bulk and make a bunch of them. A kit with the Pi, adapater, heatsinks and a case is $50. A controller is about $15. A memory card is $10. That's already $75, and you only have one controller.

Add a second controller $15 and a cool case for maybe $25-30 (which the SNES Classic has), and you are looking at well over a hundred.

Yes is can play lots of games from other consoles, but the plug and play is great for the Classic. The Pi is great for tinkering (I've made three), but it has limitations. There is some controller lag (some people are sensitive to this, it isn't bad) and a basic RetroPie setup has no power button and needs to be shutdown when done, not just yank the plug (which isn't great for kids). Also if you press buttons on game load (which kids do), it tends to go into config mode.

I can only really see three reasons why you would want to spend money on this.

1. You want the most hassle free way of playing games of that console

2. You refuse to play "illegal" roms

3. You want as close to the original feel of the console as possible hence you don't want to mod another console to get those games on said console

I think that about sums it up. Did I miss anything? I'm surprised (and at the same time not surprised) that these things sell so well. I thought by now most people already had a reliable way of playing old school games. Either this world is full of super moral people who believe illegal roms are very very bad or people just literally can't be bothered with setting up their own way of playing these old school games on their own.
Let me explain to you the fallacy of your position by creating an equally fallacious argument of my own employing something you clearly enjoy.

I can only imagine three reasons why somebody would like The Lord of the Rings:

1. They are sexually attracted to Hobbits.

2. They are sexually attracted to grey wizards.

3. They are sexually attracted to grey wizards and Hobbits.

What I’ve done here is apply my own ridiculously myopic viewpoint by insisting that these three reasons alone are the only possible motivators for somebody enjoying LOTR. The problem of course is that there are innumerable reasons why somebody would like this franchise, ranging from the quality of its story to the acting to the universal themes it employs. Clearly, there are many, many reasons why people love this franchise and to attempt to distill those motivations into such a narrow, rigid set of parameters is both disingenuous and grossly ignorant.

And that is precisely how your post comes off.

It assumes that there are only three reasons why people want this thing when in actuality there are a multitude of reasons why people would opt to buy this rather than use an emulator on a PC or another device. The most obvious is that as a gift, this is a nice, easy-to-use, self-contained product whereby contrast giving somebody an emulator and a folder of ROMS on a flash drive isn’t exactly the sexiest offering. Other reasons include the fact that playing on authentic SNES controller is a big selling point for people, as is portability. Also, many people live very busy lives and don’t have the patience or the time to learn how to install emulators, find ROMS on sites that won’t infect their computers with malware and viruses, etc.

The problem is that you’re coming at this from the wrong mindset which is rooted only in YOUR mindset. Hell, I’d wager that half the people buying this probably don’t know what ROMS and emulators are and wouldn’t have the first idea how to play games like this on their PC.

So, let’s just agree that there are plenty of perfectly valid reasons to own this console that maybe – just maybe – have nothing to do with your personal assessment of the product.

And I love LOTR by the way. ;)

One thing a lot of people are missing about the SNES Classic vs. Pi3, Wii/Wii U VC, or other emulators is the much better image quality with the SNES Classic. Graphics are crisp and colors are well saturated with the SNES, whereas the graphics on the Pi3 (and other emulators) are fuzzy and the colors are dull and muted. Here are a few YouTube comparisons for proof:

https://youtu.be/2fCFfHjeAv0

https://youtu.be/ocGdWRF84Q0

The SNES Classic really has superior image quality when compared to the other emulation options out there, which makesit well worth the purchase.
Thanks for posting this.

Yet another reason for wanting this product.

A console I might add that is incredibly easy to add additional ROMS to with a simple hack.

So much anger over a simple question.  If you have the cash, obviously go ahead and spend it.  Nobody is telling you otherwise.  

That said, I don't have small kids, and don't care about having the best possible reproduction of these old games.  That I can play most of them on my original SNES, psp, pspgo, ps3, wii, wiiu, etc. is probably a factor in my decision.

Now that sounds pretty cool. Are you running MAME on it?
I loaded Retropie on it which has all kinds of emulators built in. I have everything on a 64GB micro sd card and so far I have: MAME 2003 (~4300 games), NES, SNES, MasterSystem, Genesis, Sega CD, TurboGrfx 16/CD, Gameboy Color, GBA. In total about 8-9K games and room to spare. [attachment=28872:image.jpg]

So much anger over a simple question. If you have the cash, obviously go ahead and spend it. Nobody is telling you otherwise.

That said, I don't have small kids, and don't care about having the best possible reproduction of these old games. That I can play most of them on my original SNES, psp, pspgo, ps3, wii, wiiu, etc. is probably a factor in my decision.
Then why you commenting?

Do people really care about 8 bit games looking better with hdmi? Is that a thing? Also on a somewhat random sidenote I think a lot of people in general are not happy with nintendo because they constantly keep finding new ways to charge money for the same old school games.

I'm just suprised it's doing as well as it's doing. But then again maybe it's just because nintendo is a huge dick for not keeping supply and making it seem like it's a lot more desirable than it actually is

Responding to Grammaton-Cleric I just find it funny in how ripping apart my post you listed all the ways someone could want this by listing my three reasons why someone would want this. Second I should've stated that I thought these were the MAIN reasons not necessarily the only reasons as obviously people have unique circumstances or are buying for someone else especially for the holidays. Third your comparison that you made of your list to mine is just as "disingenuous and grossly ignorant" as my list for why people would buy it was. Fourth that's actually a terrible argument because you just made up three dumb & weird reasons why someone would like LOTR. I'm sure someone out there feels that way but it's so few it hardly even registers as reasons whereas I was at least genuinely trying to understand/explain why someone would be buying or want to buy a nes/snes classic.

It might not have come across very well on my post but I actually meant no ill will behind what I said it whereas your post definitely has some animosity behind it. Just calm down and accept that i'm right ;)

Nice try at the end though trying to butter me up good effort

“I don’t understand why somebody would buy something I don’t like. That’s ludicrous. Just buy stuff that I like or approve of and everybody can be happy.”
Can we just sticky this at the top of every thread in the deals section on the SNES Classic/NES Classic, and then please permaban anyone who continues posting tiresome nonsense about whether or not these devices are "worth it", whatever the hell that means.

Can we just sticky this at the top of every thread in the deals section on the SNES Classic/NES Classic, and then please permaban anyone who continues posting tiresome nonsense about whether or not these devices are "worth it", whatever the hell that means.
I just don't understand how this conversation pops up every damn time. I'm sorry but if you didn't think these things would sell like fucking hotcakes the moment the NES Classic was revealed...then...that is the bigger mystery to me because it was fucking obvious.

And so many people forget about the casual gamer. We are on the internet and in our own little bubble here of people who know video games and how things work, of course we know how to download emulators for old Nintendo games. The moms who are buying these as gifts for their kids, the 35 year olds who haven't played a game SINCE the NES, the Technologically Challenged....they don't know how to download an emulator and roms, set up a controller and start the game all while not accidentally downloading a virus or fucking it all up. They barely know what a USB is. And that is a huge demographic for these things. The other giant demographic are Nintendo fans who will buy practically anything they put out, especially when it's something this nostalgic. The number of people actively choosing this over playing ROMS on their computer because they think it is a 'better' option is super fucking small.

So if we could stop with the "I don't get why anyone would buy this!!!" posts, that'd be great. Just think 'mass market' and 'hardcore Nintendo fans' and that should answer all of your questions.

I just don't understand how this conversation pops up every damn time. I'm sorry but if you didn't think these things would sell like fucking hotcakes the moment the NES Classic was revealed...then...that is the bigger mystery to me because it was fucking obvious.
"Why would anyone want an SNES classic, you can just [insert a bunch of bootleg ghetto ways of playing ROMS here including flashing your own Raspberry Pi]?" is just a way of succinctly expressing that you are both smug and ignorant. Thousands of people are excited to buy this product, there's no legitimate question that it is a valuable and beloved product, yet more than half of this thread is people discussing whether it should exist. The fact that these ignorant discussions are allowed to go on here is honestly an embarrassment to this forum and I think mods should step up.

It's like I've been transported back a decade when mods allowed "console wars" garbage to go on unchecked. I notice CheapyD's Dropmix thread hasn't been taken over with "you can just look up all these songs on YouTube and leave them playing on separate tabs" comments.

As for quality, I have to think PC emulators are just as good if not better graphics/satiation/etc wise...

Anyway yeah I can see why people want them, just don't get why they go crazy over them.  I guarantee you that for 75% of the people buying them it'll be collecting dust by V-day.

As for the cost though, cost me nothing haha...and cost me $19 for my steam link to play on TV. 

My biggest issue with the cost of the system itself is it's just ANOTHER repackage of these games.  On Wii, Wii U, 3DS, etc etc etc...repackaged and resold the same games so many times it's getting crazy.

I loaded Retropie on it which has all kinds of emulators built in. I have everything on a 64GB micro sd card and so far I have: MAME 2003 (~4300 games), NES, SNES, MasterSystem, Genesis, Sega CD, TurboGrfx 16/CD, Gameboy Color, GBA. In total about 8-9K games and room to spare.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
That's awesome, I have been looking for a new project and I think I may have just stumbled onto it, how do you plan to finish the cabinet? Paint, wrap, something else?

It looks great.

bread's done
Back