How The Price Match Policy Failed Me For The Last Time

inverted_fray

CAGiversary!
This happened to me about two weeks ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Deals/comments/7do6xu/turtle_beach_px24_gaming_headset_20_at_walmart/?st=jaqb4jfi&sh=a40d5d5a

(Yes, I was the one that posted that thread)

So The PX24 Gaming headset was on sale at Walmart for $20 which normally cost anywhere from $70 to $80.

There was one Walmart a couple miles from me that was selling it for 12 cents. Me not wanting to drive all the way over there, decided to be slick and price match it at the nearest Target to me. I go there and tell the only employee working electronics if they would price match it and she said they'd only do it if it was online. I told her it was, but that she'd have to change the zip code to the one from the store selling it at that price. After I told her that she said no they wouldn't match it. Okay. I honestly didn't think they would but wanted an excuse to drive there. I then go to the customer service counter just in case. I asked the guy there if they would price match Walmart. He said yes. I then asked him if they price matched specific walmarts, again, he said yes. Okay. Then I told him that a walmart was selling the headset for 12 cents and he immediately said no. I decided okay. I'll drive to Best Buy. 15 minutes later I got to my nearest Best Buy. Knowing how flexible their policy is compared to others I thought I'd be able to make this work. Boy was I wrong! I go to the customer service desk. I wait about 5 minutes because there's only one dude working it and he's busy with someone else. A nice young woman comes around the desk. I tell her that I wanted to make an order (I checked to see if they had the headset in stock and they didn't). She said sure. I tell her it's the PX24 gaming headset. She looks for it online and eventually finds it. Okay cool. Then I tell her I wanted to price match it. "Alright.." she says. "Okay, here's the thing..." I tell her. "This walmart is selling it for 12 cents." I show her the webpage. She takes about 5 minutes searching for it herself and does indeed find it for 12 cents. She talks on her headset with a manager. They talk for a while, she explains to her that the headset is indeed selling for 12 cents at this specific walmart. They stop talking. "She said no didnt she." I asked her. "She didn't say that...." She said then she muttered something about trying to find something online. She was furiously typing. Finally she just flat out says they don't price match when the difference is that high.

Here's what Best Buy's price match policy says regarding something like this:

Does Best Buy match the price if it results in a price being below Best Buy's cost on a product?
Yes. So long as the price match requested is on an identical immediately available product and all other price match criteria are met.
FYI this had nothing to do with Black Friday since this happened on November 17th. I have found nothing in their policy that stipulates a price match failing to work if the difference is too high. I would be alright with this happening if the policy genuinely said something regarding this, but it doesn't. Now if she had mentioned BB not price matching pricing errors, that'd be a little more reasonable. But she didn't.

I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed.

They also say that they don't match clearance prices. You can try to argue that WM site doesn't specifically state it's on clearance but come on for 12 cents we all know what that means...

You tried to get a good deal but were denied for valid reasons. Don't blame the employees for following protocol.

You're a moron for trying to price match something for $.12 Most places wouldn't sell that to you even if it rung up normally in the store.

This happened to me about two weeks ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Deals/comments/7do6xu/turtle_beach_px24_gaming_headset_20_at_walmart/?st=jaqb4jfi&sh=a40d5d5a

(Yes, I was the one that posted that thread)

So The PX24 Gaming headset was on sale at Walmart for $20 which normally cost anywhere from $70 to $80.

There was one Walmart a couple miles from me that was selling it for 12 cents. Me not wanting to drive all the way over there, decided to be slick and price match it at the nearest Target to me. I go there and tell the only employee working electronics if they would price match it and she said they'd only do it if it was online. I told her it was, but that she'd have to change the zip code to the one from the store selling it at that price. After I told her that she said no they wouldn't match it. Okay. I honestly didn't think they would but wanted an excuse to drive there. I then go to the customer service counter just in case. I asked the guy there if they would price match Walmart. He said yes. I then asked him if they price matched specific walmarts, again, he said yes. Okay. Then I told him that a walmart was selling the headset for 12 cents and he immediately said no. I decided okay. I'll drive to Best Buy. 15 minutes later I got to my nearest Best Buy. Knowing how flexible their policy is compared to others I thought I'd be able to make this work. Boy was I wrong! I go to the customer service desk. I wait about 5 minutes because there's only one dude working it and he's busy with someone else. A nice young woman comes around the desk. I tell her that I wanted to make an order (I checked to see if they had the headset in stock and they didn't). She said sure. I tell her it's the PX24 gaming headset. She looks for it online and eventually finds it. Okay cool. Then I tell her I wanted to price match it. "Alright.." she says. "Okay, here's the thing..." I tell her. "This walmart is selling it for 12 cents." I show her the webpage. She takes about 5 minutes searching for it herself and does indeed find it for 12 cents. She talks on her headset with a manager. They talk for a while, she explains to her that the headset is indeed selling for 12 cents at this specific walmart. They stop talking. "She said no didnt she." I asked her. "She didn't say that...." She said then she muttered something about trying to find something online. She was furiously typing. Finally she just flat out says they don't price match when the difference is that high.

Here's what Best Buy's price match policy says regarding something like this:

FYI this had nothing to do with Black Friday since this happened on November 17th. I have found nothing in their policy that stipulates a price match failing to work if the difference is too high. I would be alright with this happening if the policy genuinely said something regarding this, but it doesn't. Now if she had mentioned BB not price matching pricing errors, that'd be a little more reasonable. But she didn't.

I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed.
This may be one of the stupidest posts I've ever read in my life.

You tried to PM an $80 product for 12 cents, and you're complaining no retailer would do it for you? It's discretionary, pal. You talk like retailer rules are like State and federal laws, and even those we know don't seem to mean much anymore in this sad, collapsing country.

And people wonder why the world is going to hell.

Policy or not, if they honored a price match of 99.85% off, someone would lose their job.

There comes a time when a retail employee is required to say "no."  There is literally zero benefit to them honoring that price for you.  That level of "customer service" would cause them to literally hemorrhage money.

Lol. There is no way this was actually in Stock at this price. If it was indeed a "couple miles away" you would have just gone there in the first place instead of trying to get over on a different store.
And there is no manager at any store that is going to price match that, especially if you try and special order it to the store since it wasn't even in Stock at the best buy you went to

bread's done
Back