* * * - - 2 votes

Owners of Fat PlayStation 3 ‘Other OS’ Class Action Settlement - Up to $65 Payment

#91 Bivensra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1063 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:59 AM

Received my check as well. Love my backwards compatible PS3 fat. Prior to the release of the 4 I went to GS to trade it in and the associate told me I should not. Glad he gave that advice.

#92 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16927 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:06 AM

I know, it hardly seems worth the perjury a lot of you had to commit to qualify for the payment.  

When our own president is guilty of much, much worse, I refuse to feel remorse. The days of having morals and taking the high road are over. There is no honor among thieves. I'll enjoy my $10.07.

Also, my backward compatible 60gb PS3 YLOD'd within 3 years. So, Sony can eat me.

#93 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6121 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:31 AM

The only thing it asked was if you were aware of the Other OS function, and I was.

Even if you didn't know about it, there's no way for them to prove that.

Says a lot about people that they are willing to sell their morals for $10 and change.  I hope you never have to take a polygraph test as part of your employment as they will ask you if you have ever perjured yourself.  

#94 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2778 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:36 AM

Says a lot about people that they are willing to sell their morals for $10 and change.  I hope you never have to take a polygraph test as part of your employment as they will ask you if you have ever perjured yourself.  

Says a lot about you that you think telling the truth is perjury. Or that it matters that people got some money from a giant corporation.

#95 LoganDX   Five by Five, B CAGiversary!   1444 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:54 AM

Says a lot about people that they are willing to sell their morals for $10 and change. I hope you never have to take a polygraph test as part of your employment as they will ask you if you have ever perjured yourself.

Considering I personally would never take a job that hinged on a test that is inadmissible in court due to its repeatedly being abused and tricked, I'm good. Also, you're awful judgmental over PS3 owners cashing in on Sony's bs. I myself had to give serial number and PSN ID to prove I had that PS3. This was a major feature yanked by Sony, nobody feels sorry for them

#96 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   10129 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:02 AM

When our own president is guilty of much, much worse, I refuse to feel remorse. The days of having morals and taking the high road are over. There is no honor among thieves. I'll enjoy my $10.07.

Also, my backward compatible 60gb PS3 YLOD'd within 3 years. So, Sony can eat me.

So what's next on your crime spree?  Stealing DUPLOS from daycare?  Running a red light?  Keep us posted.

#97 snacks28217   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   489 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

snacks28217

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:04 AM

Don't worry, obama is not your president anymore.

#98 looserattledgamer  

looserattledgamer

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:06 AM

They are shutting down the PS3 servers finally.

#99 FlamedLiquid   The Kersed Sowl CAGiversary!   8480 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

FlamedLiquid

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:21 AM

Also got a check. Was a nice surprise.

#100 georox   The Captain CAGiversary!   7591 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:27 AM

Yep, mine arrived. My PS3 actually had linux on it too... 

#101 tribalnoise   Official Threadkiller CAGiversary!   1914 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

tribalnoise

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:36 AM

I also received a check for $10.07 after providing my PSN username. I think they just verify it was an active username when "other OS" was pulled.

#102 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16927 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:54 AM

This is some retarded ass shit. It is impressive that you got your arm that far up your ass to pull that ridiculous scenario out though. So, kudos!  :applause:

So what's next on your crime spree?  Stealing DUPLOS from daycare?  Running a red light?  Keep us posted.

Thinking about jaywalking tomorrow. Might livestream it.

#103 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2778 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:57 AM

people trying to shame me for getting 10 dollars from Sony when i would put Kaz Hirai in a fuckin guillotine if given the opportunity

#104 Stele   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   632 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:29 AM

people trying to shame me for getting 10 dollars from Sony when i would put Kaz Hirai in a fuckin guillotine if given the opportunity

Is this guy Cesar Sayoc’s brother?

#105 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1623 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:31 AM

Ah, the airtight "I know you are but what am I?" defense. If you were Trump's lawyer during the Mueller investigation, he'd be looking forward to a long stay at Leavenworth Prison.

#106 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5376 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:32 AM

All that just for about $10?!  I can understand if it was $100 or more. 

Here, I thought I was still poor.  I'm still rocking my PS3.

I remember a time when CAGs strove to be better than  FatWallet/Slickdeals.  Just found out FW got shut down, surprised I haven't seen a thread on that.

Now, I would to see what you all will do, if Microsoft had to pay out $11 because of Red Ring of Death.  

#107 georox   The Captain CAGiversary!   7591 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:45 AM

I remember a time when CAGs strove to be better than  FatWallet/Slickdeals.  Just found out FW got shut down, surprised I haven't seen a thread on that.

Now, I would to see what you all will do, if Microsoft had to pay out $11 because of Red Ring of Death.  

I would have a large stack of checks from consoles that met their demise...

However, this is a feature that the system was advertised as having, that they removed with a patch. Legitimately (at least for me,) that feature got usage. I was not happy with that patch... but it was easier to give up Linux than to give up using my PS3 for everything but Linux.

#108 NeoMonk  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:12 AM

Weren't they supposed to give out some shitty ps3 games or someshit? god what a fucking joke this turned out to be

#109 tribalnoise   Official Threadkiller CAGiversary!   1914 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

tribalnoise

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:01 AM

what do you mean "all that"? i just had to give them my psn username. granted i thought we would get more money but it only took a minute or so of my time and i was eligible.

#110 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:33 AM

He's actually talking about the Russian plant, Donal Drumpf.

#111 snacks28217   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   489 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

snacks28217

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:20 AM

He's actually talking about the Russian plant, Donal Drumpf.

Don't worry, cag will find you a safe space.

#112 snacks28217   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   489 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

snacks28217

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:29 AM

Ah, the airtight "I know you are but what am I?" defense. If you were Trump's lawyer during the Mueller investigation, he'd be looking forward to a long stay at Leavenworth Prison.

What? How does that even fit with what was being discussed? The original post I quoted spoke about being a liar and loose morals for $10. He is mad he didn't get it. The only page to sign up for the settlement had you sign up with your ps3 login.
But hey, nice knee jerk reaction.

#113 Rodster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1833 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:30 AM

I got my $10.07 in the mail. Woo-hoo i'm rich

#114 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:37 AM

Don't worry, cag will find you a safe space.

No need. I already have one in the House. The House of Representatives, that is!

#115 snacks28217   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   489 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

snacks28217

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:57 AM

No need. I already have one in the House. The House of Representatives, that is!

Hahaha!

#116 Zantra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   415 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:21 PM

I do wonder what happened to the people who picked the game option. Maybe they just got a check too? Some people on Reddit are getting two or three checks. Maybe they split our $65 up into 7 checks.

#117 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14064 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:00 PM

I know, it hardly seems worth the perjury a lot of you had to commit to qualify for the payment.  

Little confused about these posts.

Perjury?  Okay, I guess if someone went out of their way to sign up without qualifying, sure?  (Doesn't affect me, as I did qualify.)

It was actually pretty easy to qualify for this settlement:

The settlement Class covers U.S. persons who, between Nov. 1, 2006 and April 1, 2010, purchased a Fat PlayStation 3 in the United States from an authorized retailer and for personal or household use, and who either used the Other OS functionality, knew about that functionality, or “contends or believes that he or she lost value or desired functionality or was otherwise injured as a consequence of Firmware Update 3.21 and/or the disablement of Other OS functionality in the Fat PS3.”

And the "all that for just about $10" soapbox.  I don't get it.  This settlement was already made.  The amount of the payout was determined.  *Someone* was getting the money.  Why would people that qualify *not* take the five or so minutes to fill in the information to get a payment?  It was literarlly one form and you had to provide a serial number or PSN ID.  I'm not sure what part of that constitutes being "better than" some other websites.

Was this lawsuit stupid?  Yes, absolutely.  However, I don't think any CAGs in here were the ones to file the suit.  But I'm failing to see the problem with qualifying people claiming a cut of the payout.

#118 segasonic128   Segasonic CAGiversary!   476 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

segasonic128

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:12 PM

I received my $10.xx check in the mail.   nice to get some money; because i really missed the option to install linux on my ps3.    ; )

#119 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   10129 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:17 PM

I received my $10.xx check in the mail.   nice to get some money; because i really missed the option to install linux on my ps3.

Me too, it was fun to play with.  However, it was never a viable option to play Linux-based games or do anything of substance because the Linux kernel never had access to the full GPU.  Maybe someone out there with l33t haxxing skillz found a way to unlock the GPU and that's why they took the option away?

#120 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4086 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:35 PM

Me too, it was fun to play with.  However, it was never a viable option to play Linux-based games or do anything of substance

I used it, along with Nvidia and ATI PC cards, for a class in grad school as a tool to learn about gpgpu programming, so there definitely were real uses for it. Losing the PS3 for this purpose wasn't too bad though considering what a bitch it was to program for. Much better to learn using Nvidia cards (and ATI was ok).