Owners of Fat PlayStation 3 ‘Other OS’ Class Action Settlement - Up to $65 Payment

postaboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Still so frustrating.  Traded in my 60GB launch model to GameStop years ago when it was starting to fail (YLOD) and didn't keep the serial number anywhere unlike every other console I've owned and sold. :(

Still so frustrating. Traded in my 60GB launch model to GameStop years ago when it was starting to fail (YLOD) and didn't keep the serial number anywhere unlike every other console I've owned and sold. :(

Fail. I traded mine in as well.
The settlement website says you only need one source of "proof." I submitted a claim and provided my PSN e-mail and ID, which was at the time used to register a PS3.

Among other information, claimants must provide at least one of the following:

• their PlayStation 3 serial number;
  • the PlayStation Network Sign-In ID (email address) used to create a PlayStation account associated with their PlayStation 3; or
  • the PlayStation Network Online ID (the player’s handle used for communicating and playing games on the PlayStation Network) associated with the PlayStation account linked to their PlayStation 3.

If I received the free games years ago during the first lawsuit due that mean I can't claim this time.

I can't remember what email I used originally to create my PSN ID, so I just listed my PSN ID itself, which of course hasn't changed. I had an original Fat 80GB model....so here's hoping.

I have a BC Fat that I got as a gift from a cousin, and I also originally owned a Non-BC Fat PS3 ages ago.....wonder if I can do this.

Hoping the payment is $65, but not holding my breath. I have been part of class action lawsuits before, and they always try to pay you in coupons, or the bare minimum. Hopefully listing the serial number, my PSN name, and my Email will allow me to get the full payment. And, hopefully it's a check, and not PSN credit.

The settlement website says you only need one source of "proof." I submitted a claim and provided my PSN e-mail and ID, which was at the time used to register a PS3.

Among other information, claimants must provide at least one of the following:

• their PlayStation 3 serial number;
  • the PlayStation Network Sign-In ID (email address) used to create a PlayStation account associated with their PlayStation 3; or
  • the PlayStation Network Online ID (the player’s handle used for communicating and playing games on the PlayStation Network) associated with the PlayStation account linked to their PlayStation 3.
Oh nice. Didnt catch that. Thanks!

Hoping the payment is $65, but not holding my breath. I have been part of class action lawsuits before, and they always try to pay you in coupons, or the bare minimum. Hopefully listing the serial number, my PSN name, and my Email will allow me to get the full payment. And, hopefully it's a check, and not PSN credit.
I've claimed on a bunch of GameStop lawsuits and I've actually gotten about 2-3x the amount that it said I was gonna get.

what if you have two bc ps3. can i file twice or claim two at once? lol just brought one last month for $40.

I filed even though I traded in that ps3 when it ylod’d. But since it was my primary ps3 from just after launch till 2013 I think I am safe. I can stil see demos I downloaded from launch era ps3 on my account.

I loved that 60gb fat. Having full BC was great. Totally spoiled by that system. It took a beating too. Got knocked over a couple time and pretty sure a speaker fell on it once.

NICE! Still have our 60gb fatty. Use it for netflix now but occasionally I'll play a game or look at my stats on bad company 2:) Played over 350 hours of that game. I had to replace the bluray drive, but other than that the system is solid. 

so if I used to own a fatty ps3 and set up an account on it and later sold the fatty for a slim ps3 ill still be eligible for just submitting my psn id?

well submitted regardless. free money is free money.

Still using my fat PS3 on my downstairs TV as a media player, and my boys still play NFL Street and the Bigs (PS2) on it, replaced the laser a few years back and it still is working good.

Gave my broken unit to my friend to see if he could fix it years ago and he got rid of it, I probably have the serial number for it sitting on my Asurion account (as it used to show up as lapsed) but it looks like they did away with the accounts page altogether as I can't find a login.

Holy fuck getting this thing out of storage and I forgot how you can legit bludgeon someone to death with this easily.
LOL i just unplugged it from the dresser it's been sitting on, unused, for the past 5 years, and thought to myself, "Holy shit, this thing weighs more than the OG XBOX."

Wow, removing the Other OS must have hurt some people to the core if there is a lawsuit going on this long after they removed it.

I remember I was one of the first people I knew with the YLOD, happened July '09, exactly 2 years after I bought it from Circuit City for $500 (after tax with 10% off coupon) in July '07.  

RROD was such a big story that it took awhile for the maintstream to accept and acknowledge YLOD.  But because SONY and their fanbase was so vocal about Microsoft's mishaps, they never helped those of us who suffered the YLOD.  By the time people accepted YLOD was real and not something made up by Microsoft fans to counteract RROD, it was too late and their was no public pressure for SONY to make things right.  

For those who just purchased a used one shortly ago.

Who’s Eligible
The settlement Class covers U.S. persons who, between Nov. 1, 2006 and April 1, 2010, purchased a Fat PlayStation 3 in the United States from an authorized retailer and for personal or household use, and who either used the Other OS functionality, knew about that functionality, or “contends or believes that he or she lost value or desired functionality or was otherwise injured as a consequence of Firmware Update 3.21 and/or the disablement of Other OS functionality in the Fat PS3.”

Since they’re using log in data or serial numbers to track it, I wouldn’t risk trying to get in on it if you didn’t buy it and sign onto PSN on it within that time frame l.

Went ahead and submitted for both my original Fat PS3s.   Of course I'll have forgotten about it by the time any money actually is distributed.

Lost mine (80GB MGS) to YLOD years ago, sent it to Sony for repair, and didn't record the s/n :\

I was pissed when they removed Other OS. We used it in grad school to study gpgpu programming.

At least Sony sent me a ps4 in exchange for that broken ps3, lol. Still don't know how that worked out since I was told I would be getting a recertified ps3 slim. I didn't complain ^^

-Update-

Found my serial number! I had recorded it before submitting the repair to Sony. Also found my 2008 receipt from Sears.

Claim sent.

I sold my MGS unit long ago.  But, I can likely still find the serial #.  I also have a used 60GB OG sitting at home.  I'll definitley be getting in on this.

I had the YLOD twice and RROD (only) once. Surprisingly all of my old systems still work apart from the original Gameboy (screen has dead pixels but the system still turns on). It will be a sad day when all of the others don't work.

I filled out a previous claim and confirmed they have my claim on file, but I'm not holding my breath on getting a payout.

It’s ironic that this being shared on slickdeals and here is further reducing our potential payout.
Yes, the fund is only 3.75 million dollars which includes plaintiff's attorneys fees, admin fees for the settlement, class representative fees, etc...Given how easy the application process is and how willing people seem to be to engage in fraud, I'd say most people are going to be lucky to literally end up with a couple bucks.

So does this have anything to do with that firmware update that broke some people's Blu Ray drive?
That's what happened to mine, but was an easy fix, and worked better afterwards, kids still play some old PS2 games on it, so glad I kept it for that, wish the PS4 did PS2 discs. They love NFL Street and The Bigs.

Too bad it likely won't be anywhere near the $65. I'd love to turn around and put that towards fixing my launch 60GB BC unit that had its HDMI get fried in a lightning strike and has static-y, blurred video when using the other cables. I still have a ton of PS3 games on my shelves that I never opened, let alone played, and would like my console back up and running.

That's what happened to mine, but was an easy fix, and worked better afterwards, kids still play some old PS2 games on it, so glad I kept it for that, wish the PS4 did PS2 discs. They love NFL Street and The Bigs.
What was the easy fix? I have a launch model that plays blu rays fine but will not read dvds. No amount of googling I’ve done has turned up answers for this issue (lots of “won’t read blu ray but reads dvd” results). I’ve still got ps2 games and there are some I’d really like to play but can’t even though my model is bc

hmm, I think my fat 80G is still sitting I'm my recycle pile after trying those various resoldering fixes.  Finally died earlier this year.  Will see if I still have the S/N tag on it and submit the claim.  Thanks OP!

For those who just purchased a used one shortly ago.

Who’s Eligible
The settlement Class covers U.S. persons who, between Nov. 1, 2006 and April 1, 2010, purchased a Fat PlayStation 3 in the United States from an authorized retailer and for personal or household use, and who either used the Other OS functionality, knew about that functionality, or “contends or believes that he or she lost value or desired functionality or was otherwise injured as a consequence of Firmware Update 3.21 and/or the disablement of Other OS functionality in the Fat PS3.”

Since they’re using log in data or serial numbers to track it, I wouldn’t risk trying to get in on it if you didn’t buy it and sign onto PSN on it within that time frame l.
Came here to post this. I got excited until I read that part. Not worth committing perjury for $65, kids!

Came here to post this. I got excited until I read that part. Not worth committing perjury for $65, kids!
Agreed. This isn't "Go out and buy a cheap old :ps3: to try to get your part of a lawsuit that has nothing to do with you" but rather "You enjoyed using YDL when it was available and was affected when Sony removed it as an option."

Final payout amount depends on number of claimants. Meaning the more people who submit a claim form, the lower the actual amount paid per person. Seems dumb to be “spreading the word”....

I at one time had more than 1, I had a 20gb and a 60gb version .  I assume they will go look at PSN history and weed out those claims that are bogus.   When I looked at my PSN account, I have 5 ps3's listed. 2 of those I assume are the models in question.  

I wonder if I could get 65 per system ?? ;-)   In reality , I'll be lucky to get a dollar. 

Maybe the $65 will make up for the $600 I spent on the console and $100 I got conned into spending on the $100 Monster cable to accompany it.

Called the 855 number for info, and sure enough they still had my previous filing in their system. We'll see what happens next year :)

Filed a claim and had the fat 60GB fat ps3.  

I wonder what will happen if you purchased it used from an authorized retailer? My trophy history supports my login and platinumed games from that time period prior to 2010 so - I guess we will see? 

bread's done
Back