* * * * - 18 votes

XBL Deals - 2018

#14101 Previously someTooL  

Previously someTooL

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

So when’s the next time we should expect some sales or extras thrown in for the X? Wait and see or we talking late November?

#14102 TurkeyOnRye   Hey? Is this velvet? CAGiversary!   1468 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

TurkeyOnRye

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:10 PM

I broke down and bought:

Hellblade

Okami

SW:Battlefront 2

I keep going back and forth on Count of Lucanor.  It seems.... interesting.... but I feel like it'll be a buck or two down the road.

I think I'd prefer Owlboy, but $17 still seems kinda expensive.  Anyone wanna talk me into it or out of it?

#14103 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2417 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:13 PM

tell me you guys at least use gamer's club

Mine expired like 3 months ago. All digital now. I do but the store credit at a discount though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#14104 braiiins   Braiiins CAGiversary!   999 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

I didn’t know what “seasons” meant in this or the last post replying about For Honor.
But is it tremendous price for the campaign alone? That might be all I’ll want to look at, I don’t know if the dlc I’ll get is only a boost for online stuff.

Are you familiar with rainbow six siege at all? If so I believe they're doing a similar thing as the operators from that game. Each "season" has new characters that you can pay for or grind in game to unlock. I don't know if they've put out a second season yet.

It's a decent price. All the deluxe content is for multiplayer so if you're focusing on single player it's useless. The campaign is short, probably at most 10 hours unless you're trying to get all the collectibles and stuff. If it looks interesting to you I'd say go for it. Even at $14 for 10 hours of gameplay that's a good ratio to me.

I paid around $40 for the gold version and don't regret it. I played for about 80 hours.

#14105 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   3681 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

Are there any games where we can slaughter Communist Bolsheviks and kick the Red Army out of Russia? Maybe put some of them through their own gulags?

Homefront puts you against N Korea occupying US land. I can't think of any where you fight Russians in Russia, maybe a Call of Duty or Battlefield?

#14106 wampler13   That's just ,like, your opinion, man! CAGiversary!   598 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:43 PM

Two calls to xbox support in the last week. Sure they helped me with the issue I called about, but other than that I got nothing. I feel so unwanted...I am very disappoint!

#14107 Mr_hockey66   Lets go pens! CAGiversary!   7868 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Mr_hockey66

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

I paid full price for Destiny 2 at release so I’m going to let it slide.

you monster

#14108 Gideon68   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2402 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:11 PM

Gamestop charged me tax for buying xbox credit, I'm gonna throw a fit if I'm charged tax when I buy stuff later.

You're not supposed to be charged tax. It treated like cash so no tax. I bought a Xbox credit a week ago and just tried now and I was't cheated tax. I live in Cali.

Edit-I purchased on-line.

#14109 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2417 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:14 PM

Gamestop charged me tax for buying xbox credit, I'm gonna throw a fit if I'm charged tax when I buy stuff later.

Xbox charges me tax when I pay with credit. I don't pay tax when I buy the credit though. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be charged credit on currency. It's not an actual good.

#14110 deszaras   Wait...what? CAGiversary!   925 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

deszaras

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:21 PM

I’m looking for some feedback about Batman:The Enemy Within season. I’m trying to decide between that and Hellblade Senua’s Sacrifice.

#14111 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   527 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

Xbox charges me tax when I pay with credit. I don't pay tax when I buy the credit though. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be charged credit on currency. It's not an actual good.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I decided not to argue, because it's not like GS register drones can do anything, but I'll complain to customer support tonight if/when I'm charged tax for using credit.

#14112 MOStateSuperman   I eat birds and planes for breakfast. CAGiversary!   418 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

MOStateSuperman

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:38 PM

GameStop tends to charge tax for credit and subscriptions across the board in my area. Another reason I generally avoid them.

#14113 DGenerateKane   Former Kanenite CAGiversary!   665 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

DGenerateKane

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:46 PM

Help required: I'm trying to move The Division from the internal drive to an external one, but once it reaches 97%, the installation stops, every time.

I tried copying it instead, and once again, the moment it hits 97%, dies.

Moving and copying other games, including The Division's DLC works just fine however.

I feel your pain. Every time Fallout 4 gets an update it fails to transfer to my other Xbox over the network. Every damn time. I've given up transferring it and just waste the bandwidth updating the game on both consoles. I don't have any advice other than try a different external to see if it works? I dunno.

Are there any games where we can slaughter Communist Bolsheviks and kick the Red Army out of Russia? Maybe put some of them through their own gulags?

The closest I can think of is the Command & Conquer Red Alert series. They are RTS games on PC though, so maybe not as satisfying. They're also older than dirt and the third installment was pretty bad, and added Japan into the mix. Oh My! (Guess who plays the leader of the Japanese?)

Are you familiar with rainbow six siege at all? If so I believe they're doing a similar thing as the operators from that game. Each "season" has new characters that you can pay for or grind in game to unlock. I don't know if they've put out a second season yet.

It's a decent price. All the deluxe content is for multiplayer so if you're focusing on single player it's useless. The campaign is short, probably at most 10 hours unless you're trying to get all the collectibles and stuff. If it looks interesting to you I'd say go for it. Even at $14 for 10 hours of gameplay that's a good ratio to me.

I paid around $40 for the gold version and don't regret it. I played for about 80 hours.

I've been waiting for it to drop low enough to buy, but reading that I may just pass. I don't think I'll play multiplayer, and I got through at least 1/4 of the campaign during a free weekend in very little time. Maybe they will have another one and I can push through the campaign before it ends.

#14114 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2417 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:46 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. I decided not to argue, because it's not like GS register drones can do anything, but I'll complain to customer support tonight if/when I'm charged tax for using credit.

That insane because you will be double taxed which I'm sure isn't legal.

#14115 darthfracas   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   866 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

darthfracas

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:48 PM

I paid full price for Destiny 2 at release so I’m going to let it slide.

No wonder the sales have sucked every time you predict a good one!

#14116 bjf1377   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   192 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

You communist sympathizer /s

#14117 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   10586 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:15 PM

We haven't talked TCL TVs this week yet so here we go:

I'm all of a sudden in the market for a UHDTV and the TCL brand has been talked about enough in a positive light to make me consider that brand first.  I can squeeze a 65" TV into the TV hole, so that leaves the Series 4 model ($600 @ Best Buy) or the Series 6 model ($970 @ Best Buy).  Assuming these are the prices I pay, would I be doing myself a disservice if I bought the 4 Series?  I think the biggest difference between the two is aesthetics, Dolby Vision, and more dimming zones.  I can get the 4 Series now but would have to save up for the 6 Series.  TIA

EDIT - I am looking intently at the chart on this page for info --> https://www.tclusa.c...heater/4-series

#14118 tribalnoise   Official Threadkiller CAGiversary!   2028 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

tribalnoise

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:22 PM

I'm all of a sudden in the market for a UHDTV and the TCL brand has been talked about enough in a positive light to make me consider that brand first.  I can squeeze a 65" TV into the TV hole, so that leaves the Series 4 model ($600 @ Best Buy) or the Series 6 model ($970 @ Best Buy).  Assuming these are the prices I pay, would I be doing myself a disservice if I bought the 4 Series?  I think the biggest difference between the two is aesthetics, Dolby Vision, and more dimming zones.  I can get the 4 Series now but would have to save up for the 6 Series.  TIA

EDIT - I am looking intently at the chart on this page for info --> https://www.tclusa.c...heater/4-series

do you use an apple TV? it's the only device i know of that predominantly uses DV. i know there are 4k disc out there with DV but they're not as common as HDR10.

i primarily use apple tv and i prefer DV over hdr10 at all times. so if you use apple tv, i would say save for the 6 series tcl

#14119 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7983 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:32 PM

Dolby vision is also coming to XBox One S/X. So even you don't have a Apple TV you probably will have a Dolby Vision enabled device.

#14120 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2417 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:33 PM

Do you need the TV right now? If not save for the better tech.

I'm all of a sudden in the market for a UHDTV and the TCL brand has been talked about enough in a positive light to make me consider that brand first. I can squeeze a 65" TV into the TV hole, so that leaves the Series 4 model ($600 @ Best Buy) or the Series 6 model ($970 @ Best Buy). Assuming these are the prices I pay, would I be doing myself a disservice if I bought the 4 Series? I think the biggest difference between the two is aesthetics, Dolby Vision, and more dimming zones. I can get the 4 Series now but would have to save up for the 6 Series. TIA

EDIT - I am looking intently at the chart on this page for info --> https://www.tclusa.c...heater/4-series

#14121 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   2549 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:34 PM

Finally started my fire sale copy of Destiny 2. It's a gorgeous game, and mechanically is as good or better than the first. Destiny 1 is one of my favorite PVP games ever for this reason, so I know I'll at least enjoy the campaign.

IMHO, it depends on what you are upgrading from. I've said it before, but my TCL is the first true HDTV I've had (previously used a relatively nice 1080p monitor), and even without HDR for games, the color depth and image quality is pretty amazing.

the 6 series is definitely the most future proof, if you care about keeping up with all of the increments of improvement - "Now it looks even slightly nicer!" - across 1080p vs 4k, HDR8, HDR10, Dolby Vision, etc. I personally can't keep up with it, and your input devices matter for taking advantage of them (as another person said re: Apple TV).

#14122 tribalnoise   Official Threadkiller CAGiversary!   2028 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

tribalnoise

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:51 PM

Dolby vision is also coming to XBox One S/X. So even you don't have a Apple TV you probably will have a Dolby Vision enabled device.

right but the xbox won't use DV as much as apple tv does since most 4k movie discs are HDR10 and most 4k movies streamed on apple tv are DV.

i think netflix also favors DV, so the xbox would see an upgrade with that app, too.

#14123 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9431 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:53 PM

I'm all of a sudden in the market for a UHDTV and the TCL brand has been talked about enough in a positive light to make me consider that brand first. I can squeeze a 65" TV into the TV hole, so that leaves the Series 4 model ($600 @ Best Buy) or the Series 6 model ($970 @ Best Buy). Assuming these are the prices I pay, would I be doing myself a disservice if I bought the 4 Series? I think the biggest difference between the two is aesthetics, Dolby Vision, and more dimming zones. I can get the 4 Series now but would have to save up for the 6 Series. TIA

EDIT - I am looking intently at the chart on this page for info --> https://www.tclusa.c...heater/4-series

#14124 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9431 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:59 PM

Honestly. I would absolutely get the 6-series. It is a much better TV than the 4-series with the local dimming, etc. Dolby Vision is the future. Samsung is going to start losing people IMO if it sticks with HDR10+. More and more content is using DV and it is superior in every way.

Also, the Xbox One is getting the DV update just for Netflix but I’m sure they will eventually update it for discs as well. Better to future proof. Sure the tech will probably change again in 5 years but still think DV will be around for quite a while.

The TCL 6-series and last year’s P-series are phenomenal TVs for the price. Very close to OLED specs for half the price (or more).

Just make sure you test the 6-series for gray uniformity. Some panels have had issues but don’t think most do. If it does, return it for another. You’ll be set with the 6-series for a long time.

I belong to a Google Plus 4K community and everyone prefers DV.

#14125 tribalnoise   Official Threadkiller CAGiversary!   2028 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

tribalnoise

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:02 PM

Also, the Xbox One is getting the DV update just for Netflix

well that's just lame.

#14126 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   10586 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the input so far!

do you use an apple TV? it's the only device i know of that predominantly uses DV. i know there are 4k disc out there with DV but they're not as common as HDR10.

i primarily use apple tv and i prefer DV over hdr10 at all times. so if you use apple tv, i would say save for the 6 series tcl

I have a 3rd gen AppleTV so it isn't 4K, but I've considered getting a current gen unit because I have more 4K content there than I do on Vudu/others.  Some food for thought.

I heard about that, but I wonder why the consoles will support both technologies.  Are there that many displays that have one tech or the other and not both, or is it about the source media and not the display?  Or is it both? :-P

Do you need the TV right now? If not save for the better tech.

That's an option I've thought about (plus I'm considering the extending warranty because Roku TVs have burned me in the past), but it would take away the immediacy and the "gift" aspect of the TV.

Finally started my fire sale copy of Destiny 2. It's a gorgeous game, and mechanically is as good or better than the first. Destiny 1 is one of my favorite PVP games ever for this reason, so I know I'll at least enjoy the campaign.

IMHO, it depends on what you are upgrading from. I've said it before, but my TCL is the first true HDTV I've had (previously used a relatively nice 1080p monitor), and even without HDR for games, the color depth and image quality is pretty amazing.

the 6 series is definitely the most future proof, if you care about keeping up with all of the increments of improvement - "Now it looks even slightly nicer!" - across 1080p vs 4k, HDR8, HDR10, Dolby Vision, etc. I personally can't keep up with it, and your input devices matter for taking advantage of them (as another person said re: Apple TV).

I have a friend that bought an LG UHD TV with all the bells and whistles and he thought he had HDR turned on for Destiny 2, but when he found out he hadn't and then turned it on, he almost lost his mind with how beautiful the game is.  I hope you enjoy the game enough to buy all the expansions because there is some neat content out recently and in the near future.  Also, Bungie dropped a great big love bomb on the Destiny 2 community on Friday:

Spoiler

I probably should have mentioned this, but I'm upgrading from a ~55" 1080p Samsung Smart TV.  I have a 4K set in the house that I bought from GameStop, but that TV quickly disappeared into my wife's office so this would be the first time I will have exposure to HDR 4K gaming.  That said, either one of those TVs should blow my mind.

Honestly. I would absolutely get the 6-series. It is a much better TV than the 4-series with the local dimming, etc. Dolby Vision is the future. Samsung is going to start losing people IMO if it sticks with HDR10+. More and more content is using DV and it is superior in every way.

Also, the Xbox One is getting the DV update just for Netflix but I’m sure they will eventually update it for discs as well. Better to future proof. Sure the tech will probably change again in 5 years but still think DV will be around for quite a while.

The TCL 6-series and last year’s P-series are phenomenal TVs for the price. Very close to OLED specs for half the price (or more).

Just make sure you test the 6-series for gray uniformity. Some panels have had issues but don’t think most do. If it does, return it for another. You’ll be set with the 6-series for a long time.

I belong to a Google Plus 4K community and everyone prefers DV.

I'm leaning heavily towards waiting to get the 65" Series 6 or maybe settling for the 55" Series 6 at this point with the provision in the contract that would let us upgrade to 65" in the future.

EDIT - I guess that since I'm considering a 55" TV this introduces the 5 Series into the mix.  Looking at the chart at tclusa.com, is the only difference between the two the contrast zones?  The 5 Series looks to be a FANTASTIC value, but I don't want to get into a situation where I'm exchanging TVs because it's fucking hot outside.

#14127 Darthziggy   Friendly neighborhood lurker CAGiversary!   485 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Darthziggy

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:17 PM

If you want some company on the campaign, I’ve been playing the DLC lately so might be down to drop in. GT is darthziggy16. And if you get the DLC let me know. The Warmind stuff is actually like old school D1 fun at times but my fiancé is so burned on Bungie she won’t even re-download the game haha.

#14128 tribalnoise   Official Threadkiller CAGiversary!   2028 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

tribalnoise

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:22 PM

I heard about that, but I wonder why the consoles will support both technologies.  Are there that many displays that have one tech or the other and not both, or is it about the source media and not the display?  Or is it both? :-P

I probably should have mentioned this, but I'm upgrading from a ~55" 1080p Samsung Smart TV.

It's about what the source media uses as well as the device it's coming from.

i also upgraded from a 55" sammy :D

#14129 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11578 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:58 AM

Love my TCL TV beware of one issue when you play a HDR game you have to go back to the Roku menu or turn TV on/off quickly otherwise your dashboard is all washed out from HDR. Known bug my friend with the newer TCL has the same issue.

Beats the hell out of my issues with Samsung where the TV would turn on, and if my XBox was on first it would turn off.

I still haven't bought anything from this sales. I'm thinking Pillars of Eternity will hit game pass considering the second is out by the end of this year. Bethesda has supported Game pass so I can see Dishonored and Prey hitting game pass as well.

Only game I've debated is Marvel vs Capcom Infinite because of the delisting rumors for October. I'm wondering if it will hit cheaper then $16 before October.

#14130 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9431 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:19 AM

I'm leaning heavily towards waiting to get the 65" Series 6 or maybe settling for the 55" Series 6 at this point with the provision in the contract that would let us upgrade to 65" in the future.

EDIT - I guess that since I'm considering a 55" TV this introduces the 5 Series into the mix. Looking at the chart at tclusa.com, is the only difference between the two the contrast zones? The 5 Series looks to be a FANTASTIC value, but I don't want to get into a situation where I'm exchanging TVs because it's fucking hot outside.

I’d personally still go for a 6-series if you can afford it. Those contrast zones can make a big difference in HDR/DV quality and uniformity. Having the 2017 P series, I always wish I had waited a little longer to get the newer 6-series model because it has more dimming zones.

Also, since you mentioned the Apple TV 4K, definitely consider upgrading to it from your 3rd gen. I have it and love it. So much 4K content available on iTunes. Cheaper prices than Vudu and FandangoNow and free upgrades from HD when a movie goes 4K. There’s also cheaper digital codes to buy to get movies.

Got mine from a DirecTV Now promos where you pay three or four months of service for $35 a month and get the ATV 4K free. There’s a lot of cash back offers available for that deal too.

Oh and I also upgraded from a 55” Samsung (KU6300).