* * * * - 18 votes

XBL Deals - 2018

#25141 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4050 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:18 PM

My thought process when I read about Backpack Kid suing Epic over Fortnite using his dance included...

"Who the hell is Backpack Kid?"

"Is he an actual kid with a backpack or just a rapper with terrible naming abilities?"

"Was he a backpack bitten by a radioactive kid?"

"And I don't care anymore..."

All within the span of five seconds.

It's just money grubbers coming out of the woodwork. All these new lawsuits are reminding me of when Guitar Hero started getting sued by all those bands for stuff like "improper use of likenesses" or whatever. These people probably don't care or at least aren't aware, but when something blows up like Fortnite or Guitar Hero and they hear how much money is being made they just want a piece of the pie. This situation is different though since with Guitar Hero those people or at least their business people had to approve it and got paid to begin with.

That said, I don't think a person can own the rights to a dance with the current laws in the US. Yes, they may have created or popularized it, but it seems like it would sort of become "public domain" since anyone in the world can dance. It seems like they'll have a hard time truly having a case unless they can get some kind of copyright or whatever like the Carlton guy claims he is doing. Though he also says they used his likeness and that doesn't seem accurate to me. I'd guess most of these are just hoping that Epic will do an out of court settlement to avoid the headache of court. With "Backpack Kid", he is literally a kid so it's likely the parents with these thoughts. I'm not saying it's not a bit lame that Epic and other devs are just cashing in on these goofy dances instead of simply creating entirely original emotes, but I don't think it's illegal.

#25142 Dagolara   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   653 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Dagolara

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:55 PM

Finished both Never Alone (GWG) and The Gardens Between (GP) over the last couple of days. Both easy 1000g for those inclined and only a few "tricky" spots between them. 

#25143 Bryson   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   196 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:04 PM

@Bloomy

is it possible to know exactly when and what time those games counting down with 2 days left will go live? Let's say like tomorrow at 7pm? Or Thursday? There's a game I want to pick up!

#25144 Dagolara   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   653 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Dagolara

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:09 PM

@Bloomy

is it possible to know exactly when and what time those games counting down with 2 days left will go live? Let's say like tomorrow at 7pm? Or Thursday? There's a game I want to pick up!

He said he wouldn't know until he runs the scan again tomorrow between 1-3ET to see when it flips froms days to hours

#25145 Bryson   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   196 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:13 PM

He said he wouldn't know until he runs the scan again tomorrow between 1-3ET to see when it flips froms days to hours

Oh nice. Thanks.

#25146 Darthziggy   Friendly neighborhood lurker CAGiversary!   463 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Darthziggy

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:33 PM

There is no Permadeath. It was a trick by the developers to make you more paranoid like Senua.

I had no idea and that makes so much sense with the way the game goes. Thanks for this!

#25147 ilovexboxone   video game master CAGiversary!   674 Posts   Joined 1.5 Years Ago  

ilovexboxone

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:49 PM

Finished both Never Alone (GWG) and The Gardens Between (GP) over the last couple of days. Both easy 1000g for those inclined and only a few "tricky" spots between them. 

how many hours did u spend in the games to get 1000g?

#25148 LinkinPrime   :,( CAGiversary!   44176 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

LinkinPrime

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:51 PM

There is no Permadeath. It was a trick by the developers to make you more paranoid like Senua.

Oh shit! That's badass!!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 9 using Tapatalk

#25149 Dagolara   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   653 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Dagolara

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:10 AM

how many hours did u spend in the games to get 1000g?

Maybe 2 hrs or so each

#25150 w00dm4n   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   284 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:35 AM

It's just money grubbers coming out of the woodwork. All these new lawsuits are reminding me of when Guitar Hero started getting sued by all those bands for stuff like "improper use of likenesses" or whatever. These people probably don't care or at least aren't aware, but when something blows up like Fortnite or Guitar Hero and they hear how much money is being made they just want a piece of the pie. This situation is different though since with Guitar Hero those people or at least their business people had to approve it and got paid to begin with.

That said, I don't think a person can own the rights to a dance with the current laws in the US. Yes, they may have created or popularized it, but it seems like it would sort of become "public domain" since anyone in the world can dance. It seems like they'll have a hard time truly having a case unless they can get some kind of copyright or whatever like the Carlton guy claims he is doing. Though he also says they used his likeness and that doesn't seem accurate to me. I'd guess most of these are just hoping that Epic will do an out of court settlement to avoid the headache of court. With "Backpack Kid", he is literally a kid so it's likely the parents with these thoughts. I'm not saying it's not a bit lame that Epic and other devs are just cashing in on these goofy dances instead of simply creating entirely original emotes, but I don't think it's illegal.

I can't wait til the Elvis estate goes after everyone for every reference to Elvis and his dance moves. It'll be great.

#25151 p0rn0saur   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1915 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

p0rn0saur

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:07 AM

You sure you should go to Elvis when it comes to that?

#25152 Coyotezeye  

Coyotezeye

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:11 AM

The difference was Guitar hero paid for those likenesses. A couple bands got upset after the fact when you could play as those characters but sing songs but others. As to this no one was paid for the dances. And they charge what $3-$5 a dance.  So cant say I blame them. I dont think they would be suing if they were free or gave some sort of credit. As to the law.

http://ericnortonlaw...k-a-dance-move/

However, a dance move can be trademarked in that the name of that dance move can be trademarked. Take a look at Tebowing or Kaepernicking.

Since we’re talking intellectual property, I may as well mention that it may also be possible to copyright a dance—but not just a move itself. You have to combine a number of dance moves and patterns into an expressive whole for it to be eligible for copyright protection.

Back on topic. Looking forward to the sale :)

#25153 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1673 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:24 AM

seems like nobody is talking about the Forza Horizon 4 expansion Fortune Island, is it any good?  I can't even find reviews

#25154 Dagolara   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   653 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Dagolara

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:34 AM

seems like nobody is talking about the Forza Horizon 4 expansion Fortune Island, is it any good?  I can't even find reviews

I enjoyed it. Took far less to complete than any previous expansion and really there is zero reason to return to the island once you have as there is no multiplayer component there at all. That said, the routes are pretty nice and there is a fantastic super long drift zone / road.

#25155 Xfactor19990   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3394 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Xfactor19990

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:54 AM

keep wavering on buying Yoku's again just for couch play

I have it for Switch, would not mind if it goes GwG

#25156 mundial1345   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   627 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

mundial1345

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:03 AM

Twitch prime is letting you gift all the free pc games to one person even if they aren’t a member until Dec 31 anyone here play games on pc and want me to gift you the games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25157 OldSlowGamer   Old Slow Gamer CAGiversary!   506 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

OldSlowGamer

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:41 AM

I enjoyed it. Took far less to complete than any previous expansion and really there is zero reason to return to the island once you have as there is no multiplayer component there at all. That said, the routes are pretty nice and there is a fantastic super long drift zone / road.

The road winding around the mountain to the north west is exhilarating - you screw up and you plunge to your death.  Also some crazy jumps where if you don't get enough speed/height you slam into a rock wall and fall into the cold ocean below.   But yes, you are 100% right on it being really short/thin on content.

#25158 Dagolara   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   653 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Dagolara

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:06 AM

The road winding around the mountain to the north west is exhilarating - you screw up and you plunge to your death.  Also some crazy jumps where if you don't get enough speed/height you slam into a rock wall and fall into the cold ocean below.   But yes, you are 100% right on it being really short/thin on content.

I mean I didn't even have to do all the events to unlock the final two races which I think was somewhat poor design. 

#25159 bstringbean  

bstringbean

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:19 AM

Am I too late to reminisce on my year in review?

I am the 1% baby across the board, though my time spent playing is all wrong because I frequently pause and forget to shut down.

Like others my most played game was for the Free to Play contest (Path of Exile), and it says I earned 64K gamerscore which feels higher than I expected. I've been working on achievements somewhat, but I'll wait for TA's year end review to confirm because they actually track things properly.

Even if things are askew, I still think it's a nice gesture by Microsoft to try and recognize things I've done on Xbox throughout the year. I'm much more willing to let inaccuracies slide when my reward points aren't hanging in the balance. Let's hope their resolution is to improve reward tracking for 2019.

Also, thanks to Mikey for the hidden $10 email find!

#25160 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   10440 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:07 AM

Well shit, now I'm clicking all over every email Microsoft sends me...

#25161 Gideon68   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2346 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:18 AM

lol. me too.

#25162 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1108 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:37 AM

Me as well and s/o to Mikey for spotting the free $10! I wouldn't have paid attention to that email otherwise.

#25163 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14482 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:38 AM

Bud Spencer & Terence Hill - Slaps And Beans - $13.99 - 30% off

This game is strangely compelling to me...I think it was the music in the trailer that grabbed me:

Apparently my big spiel about Ennio Morricone being the greatest composer of all time was unnecessary. He didn't write this as far as I know.

#25164 Dustinator   Why hello....... CAGiversary!   1387 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Dustinator

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:09 AM

Bought Dead Cells the other week & decided to fire it up cause I had a spare five minutes. Holy shit this game is addicting. Normally I don't enjoy rogue-like games, but this is fun as hell(big thank you to everyone who recommended this game!!)
Spoiler

This game could be my sleeper hit for the year of 2018. Anyone have a game that surprised em this year?

#25165 entexman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   242 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

entexman

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:17 AM

Bud Spencer & Terence Hill - Slaps And Beans - $13.99 - 30% off

This game is strangely compelling to me...I think it was the music in the trailer that grabbed me:

That music does make that trailer. 

Apparently my big spiel about Ennio Morricone being the greatest composer of all time was unnecessary. He didn't write this as far as I know.

I have never heard of these characters, but seeing that video puts some of the trailer for the game in context. 

This game was not on my radar until now :)

#25166 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11550 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:58 AM

Just so you know you do open up shortcuts ala Dark Souls, but if you're done already doubt it will change much for you

Thanks for the heads up. I'm anxiously awaiting Shadow Warrior 2 Thursday and the "mystery" game. I'll come back to Below down the road after some patches and faqs and what not.

#25167 Bloomy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5780 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:16 AM

Snowflake Embar for Gearsmas.  Also another mid-week 8x XP.

https://gearsofwar.c.../cards/my-cards

#25168 Jurai  

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:04 AM

I have it for Switch, would not mind if it goes GwG

Yeah I have it on pc, tempting at the current $6 and change gold price

#25169 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14482 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:57 PM

That music does make that trailer. 

I have never heard of these characters, but seeing that video puts some of the trailer for the game in context. 

This game was not on my radar until now :)

Definitely check out the movies too, if you like spaghetti westerns. Think Blazing Saddles without as much Mel Brooks-style raunchiness and fourth wall breaks. And Ennio Morricone--who inspired Kubrick to let music define scenes in all of his greatest movies--wrote a good number of their songs.

Pretty sure you can watch the Trinity trilogy on Youtube for free. Probably their best movies. Surprised they were brought back as a game, to be honest.

EDIT: Here's My Name Is Nobody with Henry Fonda -

Spoiler

#25170 The Linguist   .5 man + .5 bear + .5 pig CAGiversary!   413 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

The Linguist

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:55 PM

Definitely check out the movies too, if you like spaghetti westerns. Think Blazing Saddles without as much Mel Brooks-style raunchiness and fourth wall breaks. And Ennio Morricone--who inspired Kubrick to let music define scenes in all of his greatest movies--wrote a good number of their songs.

Pretty sure you can watch the Trinity trilogy on Youtube for free. Probably their best movies. Surprised they were brought back as a game, to be honest.

EDIT: Here's My Name Is Nobody with Henry Fonda -

Spoiler

Another Morricone classic, famous from Will Forte locker room skit on SNL :