* * * * * 9 votes

XBL Deals - DwG: Shadow / Tomb Raider, Child of Light, Madden 19, NBA 19, more | GwG: Overcooked, Livelock; Stuntman: Ignition

#4801 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67643 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

I really don’t think they made the game to just be “streamer friendly”. Sounds to me from what I’ve read is that lthey really were trying to make a different adventure game with players determining their path in a more literal sense than other linear games.

Seems like a love it or hate it kind of game but that doesn’t mean that just because you don’t like it means others won’t.

One of the first gameplay trailers for that game featured a bunch of Let's Play/Twitch Streamer-type people role playing their wacky hijinks in the game, so it was definitely a part of their design.

#4802 Kotor15   Okay kiddos, prepare to be schooled CAGiversary!   3095 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

Those streamers are the welcome committee in Hell.

#4803 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1968 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

Kotor you are really starting to grow on me. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#4804 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1968 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

One of the first gameplay trailers for that game featured a bunch of Let's Play/Twitch Streamer-type people role playing their wacky hijinks in the game, so it was definitely a part of their design.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7wYZIHoqM1M

Exactly. Their emphasis this year for E3 is the huge Mixer setup they have been reported about setting up for this year. They are all over this streamer game hype shit.

#4805 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8141 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=7wYZIHoqM1M

I still wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a byproduct of the game and those doing promotion for the game knew it was a way to sell it. I don’t know if the devs themselves really intended that to be the main reason for making the game. Maybe I’m wrong and not cynical enough.

#4806 Sielanas  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:16 PM

Streaming friendly? Huh? Xbox doesn’t have any streaming games. That’s one thing I like about GamePass over PS Now.

That said, I am still glad to have my PS4 — looking forward to both GoW and Ni No Kuni 2.

But still love my X for all multiplats and 4K goodness!

God of War is "nice", but based on the videos I've watched it's not breaking any ground. Ni No Kuni is the epitome of niche, good for you that you enjoy it, but whoop de doo on the larger scale.

#4807 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   1896 Posts   Joined 2.7 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

I still wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a byproduct of the game and those doing promotion for the game knew it was a way to sell it. I don’t know if they devs themselves really intended that to be the main reason for making the game. Maybe I’m wrong and not cynical enough.

The Destiny reveal did the same thing in terms of folks being connected online, streaming was just less of a thing then. MS has their own streaming service built into the console and people actually use it, I can't blame them for marketing to that demographic, even if it's not something that interests me.

I am disappointed there's no single player story mode etc., if I play SoT it'd probably be solo because of my lack of free time.

#4808 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1968 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

God of War is "nice", but based on the videos I've watched it's not breaking any ground. Ni No Kuni is the epitome of niche, good for you that you enjoy it, but whoop de doo on the larger scale.

GoW is "nice." Come on man. Give respect where it's due. What does Xbox have that is close to.what they are showing. Game looks phenomenal. This coming from someone that has hated all the previous GoW games.

#4809 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:41 PM

The Destiny reveal did the same thing in terms of folks being connected online, streaming was just less of a thing then. MS has their own streaming service built into the console and people actually use it, I can't blame them for marketing to that demographic, even if it's not something that interests me.

I am disappointed there's no single player story mode etc., if I play SoT it'd probably be solo because of my lack of free time.

Sometimes I'm disappointed that life has no single player mode. [Most of present company is excepted]

#4810 akathatoneguy   Use your turn signal CAGiversary!   980 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

akathatoneguy

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:41 PM

I agree about the single-player mode, but one thing I will say about the lack of skill leveling, etc., is that it allows groups of friends go get together and play. I play co-op games with a couple of friends spread across the U.S. and one of the three of us rarely finds time to play...maybe once per week for a few hours. The other two of us have a lot more time to play, so if this was a progression heavy game, it would just make it more difficult for us to hop in and pirate around for a few hours a week. But as such, I can see this being something we play in smallish doses for quite some time, especially if Rare adds things over time.

I'm totally aware that's not the experience everyone is looking for, of course. For us, it's basically something different to do on game nights instead of Gears or Overwatch.

EDIT: Also, I'll admit that Rare could have kept this just as friendly for infrequent players or casual groups while adding things like oh, enemy variety instead of just 10,000 skeletons and an occasional stronger skeleton. This game is really polished in terms of graphics, mechanics, etc., but definitely lacking in overall content and variety, from what I've seen and heard.

#4811 PsiScream   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   273 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

I really wish more games had a Borderlands 2 style of co-op, where enemies would scale up according to how many are playing.  I can get 2-3 people together for Gears of War 4, but never a full team of 5, which makes Horde mode pretty difficult.  Seems like most multi-player games take the all-or-nothing approach. 

Speaking of Borderlands, hope we get some news at E3 this year.

#4812 Doctor Zod   Phantom Zone permanent resident CAGiversary!   448 Posts   Joined 3.3 Years Ago  

Doctor Zod

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:13 PM

I really wish more games had a Borderlands 2 style of co-op, where enemies would scale up according to how many are playing.  I can get 2-3 people together for Gears of War 4, but never a full team of 5, which makes Horde mode pretty difficult.  Seems like most multi-player games take the all-or-nothing approach. 

Speaking of Borderlands, hope we get some news at E3 this year.

Zombie Army Trilogy does the same time. You can even adjust the amount of enemies from the menu.

And yes, hopefully Gearbox (specifically Randy Pitchford) admits very few people liked and/or bought Duke Nukem Forever, Alien Colonial Marines and Battleborn (although I've read and heard that Battleborn is actually decent and fun but the internet turned it into an Overwatch-clone despite not being one per se) and just give the people what they really want, Borderlands 3.

I'm giving Sea of Thieves a whirl tonight now that I've got 2 months of Game Pass. Let's see if some of the hate's warranted or is it just people who expected/wanted SoT to be another linear, dark, grim, gritty game that aims to emulate a "cinematic experience". I thought not all games are meant to feel and look identical.

#4813 Sielanas  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:31 PM

GoW is "nice." Come on man. Give respect where it's due. What does Xbox have that is close to.what they are showing. Game looks phenomenal. This coming from someone that has hated all the previous GoW games.

I played 1-3, had 3 on both systems and loved it. I'm saying the new one doesn't push the hardware very much and the gameplay seems a regression. I'm not saying it's bad in the slightest, I'm for good games anywhere and will pick it up under $25. It's entirely possible their mechanic changes will be fantastic, but it doesn't seem like it on video.

Spiderman will (hopefully) join SFV, KoF, and Uncharted as the exclusives that move the needle for me.

Aren't we due for the spring sale soon now that it's actually spring?

(I'm riding high that Daniel Bryan is back and the winner of New Japan Cup this morning)

#4814 Doctor Zod   Phantom Zone permanent resident CAGiversary!   448 Posts   Joined 3.3 Years Ago  

Doctor Zod

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:55 PM

Bryan should be on the cover of 2K19 in order to become the best selling wrestling game.....ever. But knowing WWE's knack for antagonizing with the fans because we don't cheer for the big sweaty man Vince has a crush on, it'll probably feature "the big dog" (who by the way, may or may not be involved in an illegal steroid distribution ring).

#4815 akathatoneguy   Use your turn signal CAGiversary!   980 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

akathatoneguy

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

I really wish more games had a Borderlands 2 style of co-op, where enemies would scale up according to how many are playing.  I can get 2-3 people together for Gears of War 4, but never a full team of 5, which makes Horde mode pretty difficult.  

Also, it seems like with the class system this time, they made Horde purposefully difficult until you level up your classes. I remember getting through 50 waves in Gears 3 without an issue and struggling to beat wave 30 with the same guys on Gears 4. Problem is that leveling up classes is ridiculously slow if a special event isn't happening.

I'm giving Sea of Thieves a whirl tonight now that I've got 2 months of Game Pass. Let's see if some of the hate's warranted or is it just people who expected/wanted SoT to be another linear, dark, grim, gritty game that aims to emulate a "cinematic experience". I thought not all games are meant to feel and look identical.

I don't think people wanted Sea of Thieves to be linear or dark and gritty. All of the stuff I've read has pretty much universally praised the art style, animations, and overall feel of the game and simply pointed out that there's a lack of stuff to do.

#4816 Doctor Zod   Phantom Zone permanent resident CAGiversary!   448 Posts   Joined 3.3 Years Ago  

Doctor Zod

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:07 PM

I don't think people wanted Sea of Thieves to be linear or dark and gritty. All of the stuff I've read has pretty much universally praised the art style, animations, and overall feel of the game and simply pointed out that there's a lack of stuff to do.

Not people in general, that's for sure. But some comments I've read here and there, it seems some people found out what SoT was really about up until yesterday. Even though the game was announced like 3 years ago.

My point was the it's getting bashed by those who want all games to look exactly the same and demand every triple A (read that in Jim Sterling's voice) game to be "linear, grim, dark and gritty" because otherwise, it won't sale or be liked even. 

I'll make up my mind on the game once I've played for a few hours knowing what it is and offers, not what I thought it should've been.

#4817 pittsnoggle   Lord CAGiversary!   4342 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

pittsnoggle

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

battleborn turned it self into an overwatch clone not the internet, they even tweeted "come at me bro" to overwatch

#4818 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3003 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

It seems Youtube botched something, I've been resubbed to a bunch of gaming channels that I've unsubscribed to for a while.

And yeah, Battleborn definitely brought the Overwatch comparisons on itself. Those comparisons aren't what killed it alone, the mostly hideous art design (covering both unappealing character designs and a horrid UI) and MOBA inspired gameplay did. I just don't think console players were looking for an FPS MOBA to begin with, and there were better free MOBA alternatives as is, like Paragon and Smite. The sad thing is Paladins kind of came along and managed to be successful doing a similar thing, while being free. Until they borked it with P2W.

Really, it seems like Gearbox would have better off trying to incorperate some sort of versus gameplay into Borderlands, maybe even a spin-off. It would have sold better at least.

#4819 MoCiWe   Sporked In The Heart CAGiversary!   7529 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

And just to have the opposite opinion, I loved all the old God of War games, but the new one just really doesn't interest me as much, I'm sure I'll play it but it lost a lot if it's charm/character with the changes they made imo

#4820 akathatoneguy   Use your turn signal CAGiversary!   980 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

akathatoneguy

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

My point was the it's getting bashed by those who want all games to look exactly the same and demand every triple A (read that in Jim Sterling's voice) game to be "linear, grim, dark and gritty" because otherwise, it won't sale or be liked even. 

Hmm...we'll have to agree to disagree as I haven't seen any of that. All I've seen are people that really like SoT but wish there was more to it. Kind of like with No Man's Sky.

#4821 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1968 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

And just to have the opposite opinion, I loved all the old God of War games, but the new one just really doesn't interest me as much, I'm sure I'll play it but it lost a lot if it's charm/character with the changes they made imo

Have you seen the latest combat video they posted? It looks really interesting. The thing I didn't like about the previous games was the button mashing nature of the combat.

#4822 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8141 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

Hmm...we'll have to agree to disagree as I haven't seen any of that. All I've seen are people that really like SoT but wish there was more to it. Kind of like with No Man's Sky.

I will say that SoT isn’t nearly as dull as No Man’s Sky was at release. NMS did get updates to make it better though. Hopefully SoT will get some content updates as well.

#4823 akathatoneguy   Use your turn signal CAGiversary!   980 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

akathatoneguy

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

I will say that SoT isn’t nearly as dull as No Man’s Sky was at release. NMS did get updates to make it better though. Hopefully SoT will get some content updates as well.

I still may check out No Man's Sky at some point. Another game that reminds me of SoT is Elite: Dangerous. ED obviously has more depth in terms of mechanics, but it's similar in that it seems to turn a lot of people off who are not into the gameplay loop or who want a more defined overarching narrative.

#4824 MoCiWe   Sporked In The Heart CAGiversary!   7529 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

Have you seen the latest combat video they posted? It looks really interesting. The thing I didn't like about the previous games was the button mashing nature of the combat.

I guess to me, it's that button mashy/combo style combat they had that I enjoyed and tied to the franchise, the new one honestly looks more like Ryse then GoW, and I honestly liked Ryse, but Bayonetta now is really the only major game filling that specific style since GoW is going away from it and DMC is just getted hd remasters lol :P But I will say that the combat itself does not look bad. 

#4825 Bowie88   Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster CAG Veteran   91 Posts   Joined 0.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:30 PM

It's a shame that MNS's movie didn't do better.  I think they tinkered with the story too much and made a mediocre movie.  Can you imagine seeing a live action version of how Book 1 ended instead of what we got?

I still get chills every time I watch the ending to Book 1.  I'll be honest, I only saw the movie once when it came out, and I've kind of blocked it out of my memory.  I do remember that there was not nearly enough Cabbage Vendor, though.

#4826 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1968 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

I guess to me, it's that button mashy/combo style combat they had that I enjoyed and tied to the franchise, the new one honestly looks more like Ryse then GoW, and I honestly liked Ryse, but Bayonetta now is really the only major game filling that specific style since GoW is going away from it and DMC is just getted hd remasters lol But I will say that the combat itself does not look bad.

I hate Bayonetta. I tried it on switch cause I heard all the hype and hate it. Lol. We literally have opposite taste it's hilarious. I'm glad there are games made for both of us though.

#4827 MoCiWe   Sporked In The Heart CAGiversary!   7529 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

I hate Bayonetta. I tried it on switch cause I heard all the hype and hate it. Lol. We literally have opposite taste it's hilarious. I'm glad there are games made for both of us though.

Indeed, good thing about there being so many games is we can all find ones we like haha :P

#4828 Uncle Anwar   Lemurian Cult Leader CAGiversary!   562 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Uncle Anwar

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:51 PM

To each his own and all, but as a gamer, I just don’t see the appeal of watching someone else play a game, much less someone acting like a moron while they play a game. Only way I will ever watch a stream is if they become interactive enough to have a ‘punch’ button.

#4829 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   9739 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:13 PM

EDIT: Also, I'll admit that Rare could have kept this just as friendly for infrequent players or casual groups while adding things like oh, enemy variety instead of just 10,000 skeletons and an occasional stronger skeleton. This game is really polished in terms of graphics, mechanics, etc., but definitely lacking in overall content and variety, from what I've seen and heard.

If a game has a problem, it's better to be one of lack of content than lack of polish.  That problem is pretty easy to fix over time.

#4830 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5538 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:21 PM

I can’t even figure out how to get a weapon in SoT. Played for like an hour and never learned anything about what to do or how to do it. No thanks. I’m done.