- - - - -

2018 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

#1 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

New year means it's time for a new thread. Being the group of cheapassgamer's that we are, it's only natural that thrift stores would be one of our main areas to hit up. Go ahead and use this thread to show off all of those juicy finds you've had for the 2017 year.

That being said, thrifting requires a lot of persistence, I can't tell you the amount of times that I have come home with nothing. In order for it to be worth your time you really do need to expand past just video game items. I've seen crazy things worth lots of money. Toys, board games, anime and manga sets, other electronics, even holiday decorations!

Here's last year's, the year before last's, the year before the year before last's, and yes, even the thread from four years ago if your looking for some motivation. Quite a big number of great finds to be seen there.

https://www.cheapass...-findings-here/

https://www.cheapass...our-finds-here/

Sorry it took so long to make a new thread. And speaking of threads, last years was piss poor! Start posting your stuff! Don't be shy!

#2 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1899 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:15 AM

I'll be the first to start off the new thread.

$3 each at GW.

GPw2LBG.jpg

#3 Sivarticus   Kentucky Fried Cheapass CAGiversary!   519 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:33 AM

I found an opthamaloscope (sp?) and a Yamaha keytar that I bought for $8 total, managed to turn that into $465. Not video gaming related per se, but also directly shows that it pays to expand outside of video games. Have a couple pics but not sure how to post them, it's been a while since I posted on here.

#4 Retroxcellance   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Retroxcellance

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:45 AM

In non video game pickups, I found exploding kittens for 2-5 players cib, the thing on blu ray and a video game secrets book from the mid 2000's. Total was under five dollars

#5 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1238 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

$9 long..........black.......flashlite, $6 Pokemon Snap (an N64 game at GW waaat?), $2 drumstick pairs, 50 cent books, $13 Battlefront 2 and Madden 18, $7 Minecraft 3DS

XhYsgM4.jpgoNXbKyz.jpgM3HmnYD.jpg

#6 JohnnySako   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   531 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

JohnnySako

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:25 PM

50 cents. Sealed.62fc83ba4daaa8cdf49de71186273d30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 Retroxcellance   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Retroxcellance

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:25 AM

Wow, Didn't know Dare to Be Stupid was on this soundtrack, cool!

#8 Captain Wrong   ... CAGiversary!   657 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Captain Wrong

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:26 AM

That’s a nice pickup.

#9 jupiterjones   WHAT THE CUSS!?! CAGiversary!   1008 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

jupiterjones

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

Track 3 - SPOILER MUCH!?!?!?

#10 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1899 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

Probably will regret it but I passed on a Warcraft Weta Wolf Rider Orc Statue today. I saw it at the middle of the floor for $199.99.  It's freaking huge and weighs at least 25 lbs. I think these were Blizzard Employee only gift and less than 3,000 made. A used one a few months back sold for $1000 on eBay. New/Sealed $1,500+. 

MD0Q9z2.jpgyL7zdfZ.jpg

#11 Retroxcellance   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Retroxcellance

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

Probably will regret it but I passed on a Warcraft Weta Wolf Rider Orc Statue today. I saw it at the middle of the floor for $199.99.  It's freaking huge and weighs at least 25 lbs. I think these were Blizzard Employee only gift and less than 3,000 made. A used one a few months back sold for $1000 on eBay. New/Sealed $1,500+. 

MD0Q9z2.jpgyL7zdfZ.jpg

That's the struggle of thrifting. I find cool stuff all the time but it's either too big or too expensive and I don't anywhere to put it in my house.  Re selling that thing would be a pain in the butt unless you did local pick up.  Cool find!

#12 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1899 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:58 AM

That's the struggle of thrifting. I find cool stuff all the time but it's either too big or too expensive and I don't anywhere to put it in my house.  Re selling that thing would be a pain in the butt unless you did local pick up.  Cool find!

Yeah too expensive for me and I have no use for it. Well someone purchased it and it's currently listed on eBay for $1,300. Hopefully it doesn't get bought at that price because I'm going to regret it big time lol.

Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com...86/312054628392

#13 r00kie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   375 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

Yeah too expensive for me and I have no use for it. Well someone purchased it and it's currently listed on eBay for $1,300. Hopefully it doesn't get bought at that price because I'm going to regret it big time lol.

Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com...86/312054628392

For some reason it really bothers me that guy copied the title of the other one thats up on ebay and couldnt be bothered to get the "SEALED" out of the title.  I mean, if you're asking $1300 for something....check your listing for errors.  I would be surprised if it sold for that, but a fool and his money are soon parted.

#14 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6696 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

I actually found a flippable deal the other day. Madden 13 Wii for $2.

How often do you guys go to GW? There's one on my commute to work, but I never bother to go often because I rarely find a good dea.

#15 Retroxcellance   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Retroxcellance

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

How often do you guys go to GW? There's one on my commute to work, but I never bother to go often because I rarely find a good dea.

I find goodwill to be very light on flippable stuff. I may stop once every two months. I have heard that they funnel the good stuff to their auction site.

I prefer salvation army , savers, and a couple that are affiliated with religious organizations. There is one salvation army near me that sucks because the workers take the good stuff for themselves. This has been confirmed by a friend who knows people that work there. 

#16 pulsar0510   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   332 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

pulsar0510

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

Alright so this is one of those right place, right time kind of things. Not really a thrift store story, but something I wanted to share with people who will appreciate it.  My buddy and I were walking through the local Best Buy when a guy we both know (employee) says "There's a guy giving away systems in the box. We can't take them but maybe you guys would want them." He was at customer service waiting on line to recycle some old games/systems, I kid you not. We approached and I asked if he was giving them away, and he said yes, so I replied "I'll take them" obviously. My buddy isn't much of a gamer, but he grabbed all of the Atari cartridges (probably 15 or so) all in great shape and he took a CIB SNES Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2.

I got: 

CIB Super Famicon & (all CIB)

Super Aleste

Darius Twin

Street Fighter II

Gundam F91

Area 88

Ranma 1/2

SD Gundam 2

CIB Sega Genesis (small version w/sonic 2) & (again, all CIB)

Madden 94

Golden Axe

Ranger X

Musha

Lightening Force

Gunstar Heroes

I honestly can't even believe it. Just shocked. Not sure if I want to keep them or just do a quick turn around. I have at least one CIB Genesis already, but I have never owned a Super Famicom. It's not like I would be playing it anytime soon although I love collecting them. 

#17 Retroxcellance   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Retroxcellance

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:03 PM

Alright so this is one of those right place, right time kind of things. Not really a thrift store story, but something I wanted to share with people who will appreciate it.  My buddy and I were walking through the local Best Buy when a guy we both know (employee) says "There's a guy giving away systems in the box. We can't take them but maybe you guys would want them." He was at customer service waiting on line to recycle some old games/systems, I kid you not. We approached and I asked if he was giving them away, and he said yes, so I replied "I'll take them" obviously. My buddy isn't much of a gamer, but he grabbed all of the Atari cartridges (probably 15 or so) all in great shape and he took a CIB SNES Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2.

I got: 

CIB Super Famicon & (all CIB)

Super Aleste

Darius Twin

Street Fighter II

Gundam F91

Area 88

Ranma 1/2

SD Gundam 2

CIB Sega Genesis (small version w/sonic 2) & (again, all CIB)

Madden 94

Golden Axe

Ranger X

Musha

Lightening Force

Gunstar Heroes

I honestly can't even believe it. Just shocked. Not sure if I want to keep them or just do a quick turn around. I have at least one CIB Genesis already, but I have never owned a Super Famicom. It's not like I would be playing it anytime soon although I love collecting them. 

Great story. Try and make the time to play them and enjoy them.  Another option is to give them to a fellow CAG on this thread :pray:

#18 gatordeve86   CAG Master CAGiversary!   987 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

gatordeve86

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:10 AM

got some PS2 games today for $2.97 each all Mint and complete

Silent Hill 2

Silent Hill 3

Silent Hill 4 The Room

Xenosaga Episode I

Ape Escape 2

Rez

#19 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   378 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:13 PM

Had a couple of finds at Goodwill recently, nothing amazing though. 

Kxpdraq.jpg

QMx2gJj.jpg

#20 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

^Looks like somebody got the Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy and thought they didn't need the old ones anymore.

#21 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1899 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

Had a couple of finds at Goodwill recently, nothing amazing though. 

Kxpdraq.jpg

QMx2gJj.jpg

Nice score on the crash games.

I rememebered about 2 years ago i found me all three crash and spyro games at Savers and the guy using his phone near the video game section got irritated because I took them in front of him.

Story:

Guy: "Bro. Did you just grab those Crash and Spyro PS1 games?".

Me: "Yeah."

Guy:  "I was going to grab them but I was checking their worth online."

Me: "Why didn't you grab them off the shelf before doing that? But let me check the discs. If they're badly scratched, its yours." 

Lucky for him the condition of the discs were not to my liking.

#22 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   1899 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

For some reason it really bothers me that guy copied the title of the other one thats up on ebay and couldnt be bothered to get the "SEALED" out of the title.  I mean, if you're asking $1300 for something....check your listing for errors.  I would be surprised if it sold for that, but a fool and his money are soon parted.

WOW somebody actually bought the Warcraft Weta Wolf Rider Orc Statue for $1,000. That's at least $700 profit.

#23 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:42 AM

WOW somebody actually bought the Warcraft Weta Wolf Rider Orc Statue for $1,000. That's at least $700 profit.

He relisted it, so either he had two (highly unlikely) or the buyer reneged.

#24 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1238 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:40 AM

Picked up a black Dual Shock 2 the other day for $3. Got another copy of COD WW2 for Xbox 1 for $20  yesterday and a copy of Sims 4 for PS4 for $10 today (1/2 of media day). Also got Scarface Limited Edition steel case and Boondock Saints BluRays for $2 apiece. Traded in CODWW2, StarWars BF2, and Minecraft 3DS (I spend $40ish at GW for them) to GS for $75.60.AwgfHh9.jpg

#25 SPS   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   79 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:01 PM

Found a bunch of decent stuff for this early in the year last weekend:

Morrowind: GotY for Xbox original (no map or manual and disc is in rough shape)- got it mainly for the shelf as I prefer to play it on PC

Wave Race: Blue Storm

Lord of the Rings: the Third Age

Simpsons Road Rage

Donkey Konga

Super Monkey Ball 2

Morrowind was $3 and the GC games were a buck apiece.

#26 genesis49  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:36 AM

I actually saw sonic the hedgehog 1&2 for sega Genesis tonight. Left it there though since I own it multiple other ways

#27 mrmafia33   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   463 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:18 AM

#28 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1588 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

My best finds last week were copies of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Wizard of Oz, both on DVD for a dollar each. Yes, I'm as thrilled as you are. I don't think I'll find anything better until I take a trip to a larger city.

#29 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2099 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

small update on the things I can remember over the last week:

local thrift store

500gb ps3 super slim 32 bucks 

OG xbox prototype trial build 5 (w/ 2 controllers + cables + halo) 29.99

from a friend all for $50

snes + cables + 2 controllers + wireless controller

super mario world

mario paint + mouse + mousepad

super tennis

toy story

mighty morphin power rangers

mighty morphin power rangers fighing edition

stunt racer

pinball

vegas stakes

pilotwings

Goodwill

blur 360 2.99

Forza 4 2.99

#30 JohnnySako   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   531 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

JohnnySako

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

Some decent book finds at Sally’s. Dragon’s Crown was $0.50 and Minecraft was $1.0ddd7ea4a6454aa6a2d9b0ec3c06eb23.jpg