* * * * - 10 votes

Gamestop "New" Thread

#6361 ec91762  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:59 PM

So you guys think the Pro Day ad will drop today or tomorrow?

#6362 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:05 PM

So you guys think the Pro Day ad will drop today or tomorrow?

My guess is tomorrow, which may mean it's released on line late tonight.

#6363 nnja   Circle Puncher CAGiversary!   51 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:10 PM

Got the email telling new to check the inbox tomorrow for the pro day details

So good I'm a Dhalsim main

#6364 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

At least they brought the 40% trade in boost back for Dark Souls.

#6365 boogie4114   Enthusiastic Gamer!! CAGiversary!   2125 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

So buying Nike gift cards with trade credit don’t work anymore if it’s the $25-500 or $25-50 ones just the wet $25 works?

#6366 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:27 PM

Pro-tip: When buying GCs with TC. Don't ask the sales associate if it works. Just hand them the card, tell them how much you want, and then swipe the TC. 

#6367 ec91762  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

My guess is tomorrow, which may mean it's released on line late tonight.

Seeing the email now, thanks! Appreciate it

#6368 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14060 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:53 PM

So what gift cards can you buy with trade credit? Thanks.

Anything except gas, Visa, EBay, or Amazon.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#6369 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14060 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

So are we due for a trade bump this weekend or next? I have Far Cry 5, Tekken 7, & possibly Monster Hunter/NBA 2K18 waiting on a trade bump & I have the God of War coupon expiring soon. Thanks.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#6370 CaoPi   (Chou Pei) Mousou nut, KOEI fan CAGiversary!   10590 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:02 PM

Anything except gas, Visa, EBay, or Amazon.

Let's not forget GC>Amazon GC is dead also. Are there any other exclusions from GC>??? card purchases?

MY TRADE LIST: Huge fan of NIS and Koei games!

https://www.cheapass...-yakuza-6-misc/

#6371 freshzen   Big Mon CAGiversary!   4409 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:20 PM

Anyone ever lose their pro card with trade credit on it?

I called GS and they sent me a new one, took forever, like 8 weeks.  The new one didn't transfer the balance and they told me it should transfer eventually.  Is that accurate?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6372 beaubalon  

beaubalon

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:35 PM

So are we due for a trade bump this weekend or next? I have Far Cry 5, Tekken 7, & possibly Monster Hunter/NBA 2K18 waiting on a trade bump & I have the God of War coupon expiring soon. Thanks.

I was thinking this weekend but who knows...it may never happen again

#6373 h2dk  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

I called GS and they sent me a new one, took forever, like 8 weeks.  The new one didn't transfer the balance and they told me it should transfer eventually.  Is that accurate?

I think this would be the one situation where you would use the link posted several pages back that shows you how much trade credit you "may" have.

#6374 sninh   Banned Banned   906 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

did they shut down using ebay gift cards to get other gift cards?

do you like conga's? do you like lines? do you like free iphones/cash?! join the iphone canga line!

http://www.cheapassg.../#entry11235053

#6375 anarchyburger   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1275 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

anarchyburger

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:51 PM

I called GS and they sent me a new one, took forever, like 8 weeks. The new one didn't transfer the balance and they told me it should transfer eventually. Is that accurate?

use the link for lost credit. It will show you am estimated amount you had linked to your account and then it will transfer everything to a digital trade card. The process takes 1-2 days but it'll work.. I did this by accident when people were talking about it a few weeks ago.
GameCenter/Words with Friends: Rjsanchez88
Steam: AnrchyBurgr8t8
Origin(BF3): anarchyburger8t8
Feel free to add me, let me know you're a fellow CAG
Posted Image

#6376 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

did they shut down using ebay gift cards to get other gift cards?

eBay hasn't let you do that for some time now. 

#6377 freshzen   Big Mon CAGiversary!   4409 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

A google search was easier, I'll give it a try :)

https://www.gamestop...Trade_Card.aspx

edit: n/m that doesn't appear to be the right link

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6378 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   9512 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

Here’s more fun GameStop business news:
https://www.cnbc.com...round-plan.html

I wonder what destructive acquisitions.  Are they talking about ThinkGeek or GameTrust or something else?

#6379 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

I wonder what destructive acquisitions. Are they talking about ThinkGeek or GameTrust or something else?

I don't know that Tiger felt that what was being purchased was in and of itself a bad investment, maybe they did. The way I understood it was a concern about ability to pay dividends which erodes shareholder confidence. Buying/acquiring other companies that don't create revenue with in a sufficient timeframe is dividend money spent. I also believe that's why they were advocating a share buy back program. Reducing the number of shares outstanding increases the dividend per share, which in turn makes the stock more attractive to investors.

#6380 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3250 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:29 PM

The company reports earnings on May 24

They better have a good freaking sale and/or trade promo before then (allowing us to boomerang a ton of games).

I wonder what destructive acquisitions. Are they talking about ThinkGeek or GameTrust or something else?

Probably all of them.

0bmqfY1.png

#6381 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

I bet that May 24th report is going to be abysmal. 

#6382 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3412 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

I wonder what destructive acquisitions.  Are they talking about ThinkGeek or GameTrust or something else?

ThinkGeek was a smart acquisition for Gamestop. They had to do something with the declining sales of physical media in general and competition from Amazon, Best Buy, and other retailers that frequently offer better prices than Gamestop can. 

GameTrust I don't believe has been around long enough to truly gauge how good or bad it has done for Gamestop. Based on the games they have published so far they seem to be hit or miss in terms of how well they sell. 

The biggest issue with Gamestop is how they constantly make boneheaded business decisions from the Circle of Life debacle to the recent uproar over some used game prices (particularly Switch games) going up to a $56.99 without a Pro or Elite Pro card. These are just poor business decisions. I've said multiple times in the past including when I worked for Gamestop that they should look into converting some of these stores into Retro Gamestops and carry only retro games and newer retro themed merchandise that they already sell in ThinkGeek and Gamestop stores. 

A lot of areas do not have many local video game stores and the ones that do usually don't have more than a handful at best. There is definitely a market for retro games and with so many Gamestop stores being right next to each other it makes sense to me. I feel like they are leaving a ton of money on the table by not embracing the past.  

Currently Playing(in rotation):

:ps4: Sega Genesis Classics,  God of War and Yakuza 6 |  :xb1: PUBG |   :switch: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon,DKC: Tropical Freeze, Owlboy, and Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Also Casually Playing: 

Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast)

#6383 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14060 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

So with the PUR coupon & Elite Pro, God of War would trade in for $45 currently if it’s base is $25, correct?

743275.png

#6384 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

So with the PUR coupon & Elite Pro, God of War would trade in for $45 currently if it’s base is $25, correct?

Yes. If pro day gets us an extra 10% then we could get $47.50 on Saturday. If there's a bump this weekend it could be more.

#6385 miketheplantguy   Banned Banned   600 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

miketheplantguy

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

Has pro day ever given a trade in bonus?

I remember them for prestige day, but not pro day.

#6386 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

Yes, but it generally doesn't stack... so no. 

#6387 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:56 PM

Yes. It's usually prestige day. On the rare occasion it's pro day. So unlikely but possible for Saturday.

#6388 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

Yes. It's usually prestige day. On the rare occasion it's pro day. So unlikely but possible for Saturday.

It is pretty much every time, but it doesn't stack. So they don't really go out of their way to advertise it much.  

https://www.gamestop...yer-2.24.18.pdf

https://www.gamestop...017/ProDays.pdf

#6389 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2434 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:10 PM

ThinkGeek was a smart acquisition for Gamestop. They had to do something with the declining sales of physical media in general and competition from Amazon, Best Buy, and other retailers that frequently offer better prices than Gamestop can.

GameTrust I don't believe has been around long enough to truly gauge how good or bad it has done for Gamestop. Based on the games they have published so far they seem to be hit or miss in terms of how well they sell.

The biggest issue with Gamestop is how they constantly make boneheaded business decisions from the Circle of Life debacle to the recent uproar over some used game prices (particularly Switch games) going up to a $56.99 without a Pro or Elite Pro card. These are just poor business decisions. I've said multiple times in the past including when I worked for Gamestop that they should look into converting some of these stores into Retro Gamestops and carry only retro games and newer retro themed merchandise that they already sell in ThinkGeek and Gamestop stores.

A lot of areas do not have many local video game stores and the ones that do usually don't have more than a handful at best. There is definitely a market for retro games and with so many Gamestop stores being right next to each other it makes sense to me. I feel like they are leaving a ton of money on the table by not embracing the past.

All good points. Overall, I think the writing is on the wall for GameStop. I do think it can transition and survive but it will almost certainly mean fewer stores and consolidating resources.

There is just no way the company goes on in it's current state unless it intends to die a slow death like blockbuster.

I'd like it to survive. People love to bash on GS but for now its numbers and retail influence are the last stand for why game publishers and console makers bother with physical releases. Just look at Target and Best Buy - my stores have remodeled and have substantially reduced the floor space for blus and games. That trend looks inevitable.

HENSHIN A GO GO BABY!

161803_s.gif   200.gif

#6390 boneless   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1724 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:22 PM

All good points. Overall, I think the writing is on the wall for GameStop. I do think it can transition and survive but it will almost certainly mean fewer stores and consolidating resources.

There is just no way the company goes on in it's current state unless it intends to die a slow death like blockbuster.

I'd like it to survive. People love to bash on GS but for now its numbers and retail influence are the last stand for why game publishers and console makers bother with physical releases. Just look at Target and Best Buy - my stores have remodeled and have substantially reduced the floor space for blus and games. That trend looks inevitable.

I joked that GS was replacing toysrus as the go to place for toys and collectibles. Now I'm thinking that walmart and target and replacing GS and toysrus for both niches.