* * * * - 10 votes

Gamestop "New" Thread

#7861 SquirrelKing  

SquirrelKing

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:25 PM

Question: Can you still use trade in credit and GameStop gift cards to purchase Amazon “Kindle” Gift Cards?

#7862 Viper X  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:31 PM

Before I traded in my PS4, I deactivate the system then did a quick wipe of the system. After that I go back in and create a generic account on a wired internet connection (don't want to leave wireless info on system). When I get to GS, they plug it in and power it up, read what the system has (hdd size) and try a game. It usually takes less than 10 minutes. I have traded in 2 PS4s before (TIV too good to pass up).

#7863 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   350 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:55 PM

Exclusive: GameStop in talks with buyout firms after drawing interest - sources: https://www.reuters....s-idUSKBN1JE2JI

#7864 FlyingMonkey9   Genetically Modified CAG CAGiversary!   3933 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

FlyingMonkey9

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:30 PM

Exclusive: GameStop in talks with buyout firms after drawing interest - sources: https://www.reuters....s-idUSKBN1JE2JI

I look forward to them being resold afterwards for 54.99 used

#7865 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   501 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:49 PM

No, never trust GameStop employees to reset your system. EVER. I did not reset my OG Xbox One when I traded it in for a PS4 2 and a half years ago. 2-3 weeks later my Debit Card connected to my Gamertag gets Xbox marketplace charges totaling almost $200. I did not delete ANYTHING from my console, fully expecting the GameStop employee(s) to wipe my console. Now I know that its my fault for not clearing my console myself beforehand or at the very least double-checking during the trade-in to make sure that the employee did in fact remember to wipe my system but the incompetence of GameStop employees can never be underestimated.

I would say apathy, not incompetence.
  • ck0 likes this

#7866 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:11 PM

I look forward to them being resold afterwards for 54.99 used

You mean 56.99 nowadays.

#7867 ~starlight~   CAG Veteran Silenced   1095 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

~starlight~

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:21 PM

It will definitely get reset by the employee.

They only remove accts not reset. I once got a preowned XB1 during their b2g1 where the original owner still had the console listed as home console even though their acct and games were no longer on it. I was able to access all their games, just had to DL all of them from Games/App. I only remember thus coz they bought Halo 5 and it only been a few wks since its release lol.

Before I traded in my PS4, I deactivate the system then did a quick wipe of the system. After that I go back in and create a generic account on a wired internet connection (don't want to leave wireless info on system). When I get to GS, they plug it in and power it up, read what the system has (hdd size) and try a game. It usually takes less than 10 minutes. I have traded in 2 PS4s before (TIV too good to pass up).

Ugh I keep forgetting to remove my WiFi info, is there a way the next buyer can retrieve my WiFi info from the console? Omg what if my neighbor buys it, yikes! Lol
I always do put a generic acct on it tho...

#7868 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3277 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:28 AM

No, never trust GameStop employees to reset your system. EVER. I did not reset my OG Xbox One when I traded it in for a PS4 2 and a half years ago. 2-3 weeks later my Debit Card connected to my Gamertag gets Xbox marketplace charges totaling almost $200. I did not delete ANYTHING from my console, fully expecting the GameStop employee(s) to wipe my console. Now I know that its my fault for not clearing my console myself beforehand or at the very least double-checking during the trade-in to make sure that the employee did in fact remember to wipe my system but the incompetence of GameStop employees can never be underestimated.

Same. When it happened to me, I just thought my psn account somehow got compromised. However, it just hit me that I traded in my PS4 not long before that little incident. Cost me $50, and could have been out more had I not caught it quickly. Luckily Sony was good and granted me a refund.

#7869 PatricioCurrz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   76 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

PatricioCurrz

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:47 AM

I would say apathy, not incompetence.

You're right, it can very well be that too.

Same. When it happened to me, I just thought my psn account somehow got compromised. However, it just hit me that I traded in my PS4 not long before that little incident. Cost me $50, and could have been out more had I not caught it quickly. Luckily Sony was good and granted me a refund.

Yeah unfortunately for me instead of going to Microsoft customer service I went to my bank to dispute the charges. While I was temporarily given a credit, a few months later my claim was reversed because Microsoft disputed my claim. At that point I basically needed a lawyer for $200 so I just let the whole situation go and ate the loss.

#7870 Raw_Orangejuice  

Raw_Orangejuice

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:59 AM

Yeah unfortunately for me instead of going to Microsoft customer service I went to my bank to dispute the charges. While I was temporarily given a credit, a few months later my claim was reversed because Microsoft disputed my claim. At that point I basically needed a lawyer for $200 so I just let the whole situation go and ate the loss.

well there you go, next time go to Microsoft which would've been the proper channel. Sony would've just banned your account and remove your games

#7871 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3277 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:04 AM

I try and avoid going through the bank after I got royally jerked around by mine (Wells Fargo). Like you said, the companies disputed my dispute, and I lost, and I end up getting charged the amount. First time I bought something from Staples with my debit card, Staples cancelled the order, and for whatever reason they wouldn't just refund it to my debit card (I can't remember the specifics, but they took a long ass time to refund me). Second time I had hundreds of dollars fraudulently charged to my credit card for Lyft. Both times, my bank (which my debit and credit card are through) acted like there was pretty much nothing they could do. I was persistent though and kept calling in, probably a dozne or more times each incident, until they finally made things right.

That's why I am so happy some banks like capital one have an option to lock your card when not in use. If I could, I would opt into that option for all my accounts that I don't have reoccurring charges.

#7872 PatricioCurrz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   76 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

PatricioCurrz

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:01 AM

well there you go, next time go to Microsoft which would've been the proper channel. Sony would've just banned your account and remove your games

Next time? Every console I've traded-in since then I at the very least delete my Gamertag/PSN from the console....

I think the only reason I was not banned by Microsoft was because it was not a credit card situation with a chargeback. It was my debit card so I just got a credit from my bank, the charges were not actually reversed.

#7873 TimPV3   Butthole CAGiversary!   2620 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:36 AM

Can anyone confirm the 4 for $20 is dead? The weekly ad said it was good until the 19th, but I see the 4 for $10 on the app now. I did a WIS for some $9.99 PS3 games to have adjusted when they arrive, and of course they got pushed back from Saturday to tomorrow.

#7874 WickedCyclone  

WickedCyclone

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:38 AM

Did a couple trades today and the employee was so awesome and didn't even open half of the games to check them, not a single refurb fee. I just traded some stuff that I thought might tank between now and the next 70%. If anyone wants to convert points into credit, Hyrule Warriors and Tropical Freeze work well if there are any pre-owned copies. 

Also one of the guys that traded before me brought in two Wii Systems and about 10 extra remotes. I guess somebody won't be trading again for a while.

#7875 HeroOfTime88  

HeroOfTime88

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:28 AM

Guys I need help. I bought 1 year of PS Plus on Friday and idk what happened but I lost the receipt and there was the code for the PS Plus. Do you guys know if there’s any way they can provide me with another code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7876 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7534 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:42 AM

Does it show up as a digital purchase on GameStop.com or in the app? Probably not but maybe worth a look.

I just looked and I guess I bought a year of PSN in November. It shows up there for me. Along with several $10 PSN codes.

#7877 HeroOfTime88  

HeroOfTime88

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:53 AM

Does it show up as a digital purchase on GameStop.com or in the app? Probably not but maybe worth a look.

I just looked and I guess I bought a year of PSN in November. It shows up there for me. Along with several $10 PSN codes.

No I already check and I don’t have it. I guess I lost my $50

I only have the transaction with the PSPlus SKU

#7878 Potatoeman  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:25 AM

No I already check and I don’t have it. I guess I lost my $50

I only have the transaction with the PSPlus SKU

It's a hassle, but if you go to the GS you bought it from, the manager can potentially look up the receipt in their system and reprint it. It's a major pain in the ass, and some associates don't even know it's possible, so GL

#7879 HeroOfTime88  

HeroOfTime88

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:52 AM

It's a hassle, but if you go to the GS you bought it from, the manager can potentially look up the receipt in their system and reprint it. It's a major pain in the ass, and some associates don't even know it's possible, so GL

I’m hoping that it takes a while for the code to appear on My Power Up Digital Locker otherwise I’m screwed

#7880 strikeanywhere  

strikeanywhere

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:18 AM

Can anyone confirm the 4 for $20 is dead? The weekly ad said it was good until the 19th, but I see the 4 for $10 on the app now. I did a WIS for some $9.99 PS3 games to have adjusted when they arrive, and of course they got pushed back from Saturday to tomorrow.

If you view the ad online, it does say that it ends the 17th.  They may have change it to that.

#7881 Sonic9jct   Wubba lubba dub dub CAGiversary!   324 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Sonic9jct

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Yeah as a note companies actually lose money on chargebacks (the reversed money AND a fee from the bank) so they will almost always try to dispute them even if they know it's fraud. Always go to them first, a lot of companies have procedures for dealing with fraud and it's way faster than a chargeback.

I deal with them at my job and it sucks to see people wait a month to maybe get their money from a chargeback whereas if they just contacted us and let us know, I could resolve it within the week.

#7882 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3471 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

Yeah as a note companies actually lose money on chargebacks (the reversed money AND a fee from the bank) so they will almost always try to dispute them even if they know it's fraud. Always go to them first, a lot of companies have procedures for dealing with fraud and it's way faster than a chargeback.

I deal with them at my job and it sucks to see people wait a month to maybe get their money from a chargeback whereas if they just contacted us and let us know, I could resolve it within the week.

I used to do that type of work as well. Still at the same company, but just a different department. Credit card disputes can take forever versus waiting the standard 2-3 business days. 

#7883 spug21   professor cheap cheap CAGiversary!   233 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

Guys I need help. I bought 1 year of PS Plus on Friday and idk what happened but I lost the receipt and there was the code for the PS Plus. Do you guys know if there’s any way they can provide me with another code?

If you are a pur member and it was code on your receipt check the app. There will be a copy of the code in the digital locker.

#7884 HeroOfTime88  

HeroOfTime88

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:11 PM

If you are a pur member and it was code on your receipt check the app. There will be a copy of the code in the digital locker.

Found it in my car.

#7885 dualrec  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:24 PM

here I was expecting the potential %70 bonus (50 promo + 20 elite bonus)....

they screwed it all up by adding the elite vs pro and using that to act like it's something special.

All I see is decreased trade promos.  Especially if you're not elite

#7886 Squidfinity  

Squidfinity

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:27 PM

For anyone who may have received the double points coupon already...  Did it come by email and/or show up in the app?  What are the valid dates?  If you placed multiple pre-orders did you get more than 1 coupon? Does it look like it's a unique single use code or something generic?

Gamestop's Facebook post on it make it seem like it would come on the 21st.  I'm just trying to plan ahead and sort my trades, I have LOTS to take in and had made 2 different pre-orders at different stores.

#7887 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   9572 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

Found it in my car.

Awesome that you found it!  Going forward, chant this phrase every time you walk into a GS:

"Email receipts are your friend.  Please send a receipt to my email."

Even though I do that every time I walk into a GS (well, not really), the associates are so used to doing print receipts that their muscle memory sometimes refuses to allow anything but a physical receipt.

#7888 rydall   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   58 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:41 PM

For anyone who may have received the double points coupon already... Did it come by email and/or show up in the app? What are the valid dates? If you placed multiple pre-orders did you get more than 1 coupon? Does it look like it's a unique single use code or something generic?

Gamestop's Facebook post on it make it seem like it would come on the 21st. I'm just trying to plan ahead and sort my trades, I have LOTS to take in and had made 2 different pre-orders at different stores.

It was in my active offers Saturday morning. Used it that day on a huge trade/purchase. So far I only got the standard elite pro amount of points for the transaction. If I remember correctly the valid date was till the end of August.

#7889 inkcil   Banception...Baseball Ban in a Best Buy CAGiversary!   1030 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

here I was expecting the potential %70 bonus (50 promo + 20 elite bonus)....

they screwed it all up by adding the elite vs pro and using that to act like it's something special.

All I see is decreased trade promos.  Especially if you're not elite

Well, who knows how real the 70% ever was...after all this is the internet.  

#7890 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14080 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:09 PM

@ Geese - Thanks for sharing your experience with trading in your Xbox One. All the more reason for me to keep my VCR model. That, and the fact that my TV only does 1080 resolution. Will buy an external hard drive soon.

I would have just traded in for an S. If that power brick dies your out of luck as the adapter is discontinued & the third party ones suck b/c they shut off if they are remotely touched.

Plus the S is 1/2 size & runs much quieter.