- - - - -

(DEAD) Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite - $19.99 ($15.99 GCU) at Best Buy

#61 MPoWeRM3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1887 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:08 AM

Will not support this game.  Also, to those looking for a truly full-fledged fighting game that doesn't try to nickel and dime them, go support Tekken 7 -- that game is amazing.  Opened my copy yesterday -- full fledged arcade mode, story mode, customizeable characters (color, outfits, etc.), unlockable videos and art from EVERY Tekken game ever made (and even unlockable videos/art for weird Tekken ads in Japan -- the cola one is craaazy!), and ALL of it can be unlocked through fight money.  No reason to spend your real money.

Remember there is NO fight money in MvC Infinite -- Capcom is making you pay real money for DLC characters. 

Oh, and Tekken 7 is gorgeous.  Kudos to Bandai-Namco on an amazing release.  Hopefully, the company follows the same route for the Soul Calibur revival.

My friend told me it has 2 dlc characters for $25 season pass.

#62 ETERNIA FOREVER   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   102 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

ETERNIA FOREVER

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

For the most part, yes.  The game is getting massively overshadowed by other games and a lot of my friends that are avid fighting game players (I am too) all kind of agree that Capcom's greed with this game was insane.  Roster of 30, and 24 of them were returning characters with almost nothing new to them.  Beloved characters completely removed but characters most didn't care about made it back in.  Want new characters that HAVEN'T been in the series?  Here's 6 characters after 3 months of release for $30.  Only one costume at launch too.  Want a secondary costume?  Prepare to shell out ANOTHER $30.  It's unbalanced in a lot of ways, it doesn't feel like they're giving it the love and focus it needs, etc etc...

I think they thought this would be a platform for more characters but got too greedy with it.  Their DLC is some of the most expensive and to lock out brand new characters behind $30 DLC is a bit of a dick move.

That all said...at this price, it's definitely worth picking up.  I was disappointed with the product at full price, seeing how much and how fast they were kicking out DLC.  Seriously, this game was released in SEPTEMBER.  4 months ago.  I still bought it day one at MSRP and I know that affected my viewpoint.  $15 GCU?  Or just $20 normally?  MUCH better price.  It's a great fighting game, it's fun, we play it at parties all the time and it's not particularly a bad game.  Just bad execution and with what they were asking, the full MSRP price tag was a heavy hit.  Get it at $15 and you'll be happy.

Thank you kind sir for the in depth evaluation of the game, my only concern even at the 16 dollars is don't they always release an mVc ultimate version or complete version if you like down the road with all the dlc ? I would have to have that makeing the 16 dollars on this a wasted buy for me if that were to happen.

#63 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2684 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:50 AM

My friend told me it has 2 dlc characters for $25 season pass.

Sure, Tekken 7 may have DLC (don't know, don't care) - all I'm saying is unlike McC Inf. or SFV, Bandai-Namco released the game with the full arcade mode, full cinematic story mode, and a 30+ roster chock full of new and returning characters, along with a bountiful amount of unlockable videos, art, and customization options, and multiple outfits per character.

In short, an ACTUAL release of a done game vs. this greed-fest.

#64 MPoWeRM3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1887 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:35 AM

Sure, Tekken 7 may have DLC (don't know, don't care) - all I'm saying is unlike McC Inf. or SFV, Bandai-Namco released the game with the full arcade mode, full cinematic story mode, and a 30+ roster chock full of new and returning characters, along with a bountiful amount of unlockable videos, art, and customization options, and multiple outfits per character.

In short, an ACTUAL release of a done game vs. this greed-fest.

I do agree T7 is a complete package out of the gate when it was ported to home in 2017. However, it was first released in 2015 in arcade form. They had two years to add features to make the home version complete, the same amount of time it took to make SFV complete. Let see if Namco can really do a complete fighter with no prior versions to build on in SC6, same publisher and same director as T7.

#65 thephoenix112   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   64 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

thephoenix112

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:01 AM

Thank you kind sir for the in depth evaluation of the game, my only concern even at the 16 dollars is don't they always release an mVc ultimate version or complete version if you like down the road with all the dlc ? I would have to have that makeing the 16 dollars on this a wasted buy for me if that were to happen.

They might, but honestly it's a longshot if they consider the game "dead" at this point.  Hell, Deluxe Edition has the DLC Packs 1 and 2 included and they've only put out DLC Pack 1.  Rumbles and rumors sound like they may not focus any more effort on it besides bare minimum but who knows.

If they do go Ultimate, it'll likely be at $40 and won't come out for a while.  With how weak sales have been already, I expect a PSN sale to drop those DLCs down to super cheap so if you just want a fun game, rather than need the whole package up front, it's not a bad time to buy in.  Also, if you're REALLY worried about that, do what a lot of people are doing, find a Target with the steelbook (it won't say Deluxe edition but if it's steelbook, it is) and price match to the 19.99.  Boom.  You now own whatever Ultimate Edition they come out with.

I do agree T7 is a complete package out of the gate when it was ported to home in 2017. However, it was first released in 2015 in arcade form. They had two years to add features to make the home version complete, the same amount of time it took to make SFV complete. Let see if Namco can really do a complete fighter with no prior versions to build on in SC6, same publisher and same director as T7.

T7 is definitely a far more complete game.  Yeah, they had 2 years, but when it was released after 2 years you paid for everything it was.  SFV had half the characters T7 had at launch.  Even if you buy the arcade edition at $40 right now and get the first two DLC packs included, the newest one that is set to release shortly?  Pay up or grind fight money like crazy.  I definitely agree T7 brought more to the table though, from an amazing story mode that was decent length, to all the game modes, and crazy enough, tons of costume options to customize rather than trying to nickel and dime costumes...even the Season Pass at $25 adds a ton of additional things.  Capcom wants $30 for a costume pack, and that's insane.

#66 MPoWeRM3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1887 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:57 AM

T7 is definitely a far more complete game. Yeah, they had 2 years, but when it was released after 2 years you paid for everything it was. SFV had half the characters T7 had at launch. Even if you buy the arcade edition at $40 right now and get the first two DLC packs included, the newest one that is set to release shortly? Pay up or grind fight money like crazy. I definitely agree T7 brought more to the table though, from an amazing story mode that was decent length, to all the game modes, and crazy enough, tons of costume options to customize rather than trying to nickel and dime costumes...even the Season Pass at $25 adds a ton of additional things. Capcom wants $30 for a costume pack, and that's insane.

You are correct about SFV and its money hungry business model and it's janky fight money system. Before Arcade edition, I used to just buy the character passes and earn weekly FM to obtain the stages, ignoring costumes completely. After AE update, they halved the FM obtainable each week and included a gambling system to make you spend FM to get crossover costumes. I will never have enough FM to buy anymore future stages based on this change since I'm just a casual player. It's crazy how they keep come up with this crap. I have a feeling in SF6, expect to pay for each fireball, dragon punch, etc used.

$30 for a costume pack is insane but doesn't hold a candle to DOA5LR's $93 per pack and I bought them all. Sad I know but that is my primary fighter.

#67 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2684 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

You are correct about SFV and its money hungry business model and it's janky fight money system. Before Arcade edition, I used to just buy the character passes and earn weekly FM to obtain the stages, ignoring costumes completely. After AE update, they halved the FM obtainable each week and included a gambling system to make you spend FM to get crossover costumes. I will never have enough FM to buy anymore future stages based on this change since I'm just a casual player. It's crazy how they keep come up with this crap. I have a feeling in SF6, expect to pay for each fireball, dragon punch, etc used.

$30 for a costume pack is insane but doesn't hold a candle to DOA5LR's $93 per pack and I bought them all. Sad I know but that is my primary fighter.

Yeah, I've been really disgusted with how publishers are handling these items.  As I've said earlier, will never support DLC for any game, and well, I just don't buy digital games, period.  There are no exceptions for me.

It's unfortunate that publishers keep getting away with this, and I do think complete or even sort of complete packages like Tekken 7 or Mortal Kombat XL will be the exceptions rather than the rule moving forward.

I don't think Capcom is much interested in releasing GOTY or complete editions.  Frankly, I'm surprised they even ported a complete edition of UMvC3 for PS4 and Xbone.  Then again, that was 2016 and a lot has changed even since then.

Indeed, I'm cautiously optimistic.  I can see Bandai-Namco taking a page out of Capcom for SC6.  Sadly, the approach is massively profitable and I'm not sure Tekken 7 sold very well. 

I suspect even WB won't be bothered to release an XL/GOTY for Injustice 2 this go-around.  Can easily see them just selling digital DLC packs.  The cost of printing complete editions is making less and less sense with nearly 40% of gamers now fine with buying licenses over owning their games.

As for this game, I can Capcom going back and selling more DLC characters ... now that Disney owns Fox, no reason the X-Men won't show up.  If SFV Arcade is any suggestion, Capcom will probably just sell the vanilla release again with DLC codes for the the existing DLC pack and the X-Men characters for $40.  And then turn around and sell you more DLC since this one has no fight money. 

#68 DoctorZ  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

They did use the same engine, Unreal 4. My guess the reason why MVCI looks worse is they had to to keep 60fps. With 4 characters on screen with all the alpha effects, something have to give.

Dragon Ball Fighter Z is using the unreal engine 4 is too. 
Before anyone say "But that game is 2D!" DBFZ is 2.5D, the game is still rendering 3D models/environment for both the backgrounds and characters. 

I'm a huge Capcom fan but MVC:I has no excuse for the poor development.

#69 thephoenix112   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   64 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

thephoenix112

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:59 PM

Reasons literally no one is playing DoA5.  I can't tell you how many times I've been out and have seen a physical copy of that game and went "wow, right, that exists".  

I'm a huge Capcom fan but MVC:I has no excuse for the poor development.

I remember how hard we were all cringing at a local tourney when we kept watching the videos for it.  The fucked up faces, bad voice acting, etc.  There were a few occasions that Maximilian Dood (which if you're a fighting game fan at all and not following him, he's great and you should be) said that it seemed like MvC:I was meant to be a base platform that Capcom just kept expanding on, a la Killer Instinct.  So every 6 months we'd get 6 more characters.  Great idea in theory, but then you saw prices...

If they had sold character DLC packs at $12 for 6 characters or $3 for each individual?  They'd have sold FAR more and arguably made a bigger profit.  I know a lot of people that saw that $30 DLC price tag for almost day one DLC and immediately were turned away from the game.  It's digital goods, they don't lose anything by dropping the price.  Sadly, capcom's greed is making it harder and harder to enjoy their games.

#70 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1921 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

What a piece of crap! This game doesn't even load! I put the disc in, and it says it needs to download an update, then a second or two later gives some kind of error, and the game disappears from the dashboard. Resetting the system and ejecting and reinserting the disc does nothing. Never had this trouble with a new console game before. On the PC several times, but with all the different hardware configurations out there, it's to be expected, and I've had used discs with that have visible scratches or signs of being game doctored have problems, but never had them refuse to even load. I'll try exchanging it and see if it's just a defective disc.

#71 thephoenix112   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   64 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

thephoenix112

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:58 PM

What a piece of crap! This game doesn't even load! I put the disc in, and it says it needs to download an update, then a second or two later gives some kind of error, and the game disappears from the dashboard. Resetting the system and ejecting and reinserting the disc does nothing. Never had this trouble with a new console game before. On the PC several times, but with all the different hardware configurations out there, it's to be expected, and I've had used discs with that have visible scratches or signs of being game doctored have problems, but never had them refuse to even load. I'll try exchanging it and see if it's just a defective disc.

If you're on PS4, PSN is down and being worked on right now.  I had similar issues.

#72 1mhot3K   DealHunter CAGiversary!   340 Posts   Joined 2.7 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:02 PM

I think the discount has ended on bestbuy at least. I'm glad I resisted this one, no need have another title liable to start collecting dust. 

#73 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2684 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

I think the discount has ended on bestbuy at least. I'm glad I resisted this one, no need have another title liable to start collecting dust. 

In terms of fighting games this generation, sticking with Tekken and the WB titles (Injustice, and MK).  Was interested in SFV Arcade until the news broke that it was just a vanilla copy with DLC codes inside.  Capcom really is ruining it this gen.

#74 Strider Turbulence   Banned Banned   6540 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Strider Turbulence

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

In terms of fighting games this generation, sticking with Tekken and the WB titles (Injustice, and MK).  Was interested in SFV Arcade until the news broke that it was just a vanilla copy with DLC codes inside.  Capcom really is ruining it this gen.

Why does it matter? You still have access to all the content you'd never play.

#75 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4012 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

I never could find the deluxe edition at Target, but this thread is making me rethink even buying the regular version no matter what price it goes down to.

#76 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5416 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

I'm really curious about this game.  Seems like a ton of hate, but for a totally casual fighting game fan who won't play all that much and definitely not competitively.....I'll be surprised if the game is as bad as it's made out to be.  Guess I'll see.

#77 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2684 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:18 PM

Why does it matter? You still have access to all the content you'd never play.

Actually, when it comes to SFV, my understanding is so much of the game needs to be downloaded (i.e. story mode).   That's a problem for people like me who have a big backlog and *eventually* get to their games but often not until years later.  I have OG Gamecube and Xbox games, for example, that I opened this past weekend to play.  This means that if the games aren't entirely on the disc, I'm screwed. 

That's why I won't buy digital or games that have most of their content all through DLC or patches. 

#78 MPoWeRM3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1887 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:22 PM

Reasons literally no one is playing DoA5.  I can't tell you how many times I've been out and have seen a physical copy of that game and went "wow, right, that exists".  

To be fair, DoA5 has been on the market for 5+ years thus player base at a minimal isn't really surprising. I believe it's still more active than MVCI, a game that came out few months ago.

#79 Strider Turbulence   Banned Banned   6540 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Strider Turbulence

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:05 AM

Actually, when it comes to SFV, my understanding is so much of the game needs to be downloaded (i.e. story mode).   That's a problem for people like me who have a big backlog and *eventually* get to their games but often not until years later.  I have OG Gamecube and Xbox games, for example, that I opened this past weekend to play.  This means that if the games aren't entirely on the disc, I'm screwed. 

That's why I won't buy digital or games that have most of their content all through DLC or patches. 

I can't argue with that and don't blame you one bit. SFV is severely gimped with no online functionality.

#80 teh lurv  

teh lurv

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

You can't open it first, install the DLC, then put it back on the backlog shelf?

Anyways, picked up MvC:I to try it out. Oof, this game looks rough. The character animation is terrible. It's something when Nemesis moves with a more natural gait than Chun-Li or Ryu. The game is still fun; a buddy and I played some matches after I popped the disc in and had a good time, though it kinda made me wish I was playing UMvC3 instead.

#81 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2684 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:24 AM

You can't open it first, install the DLC, then put it back on the backlog shelf?

Anyways, picked up MvC:I to try it out. Oof, this game looks rough. The character animation is terrible. It's something when Nemesis moves with a more natural gait than Chun-Li or Ryu. The game is still fun; a buddy and I played some matches after I popped the disc in and had a good time, though it kinda made me wish I was playing UMvC3 instead.

There are several problems with that approach.  First, SFV is a substantial download - 50+GB.  I'm sorry, but I have a whole lot of other game updates I'd rather have sitting on my drive (BTW, I do research my games before I buy to try and ensure the onesI buy are not critically broken such that they won't play well without their patches, as I might actually get around to playing it when the servers for these games are long gone). 

Second, and to that point, you should always expect your systems may fail, meaning having the saves in your system may just not matter much -- take the PS3 for example.  If you're system blows it years down and the updates are no longer available, what are you going to do?  If it's a DLC game, there's nothing you can do.  Just look at Nintendo Wii and Wii U -- once your systems go, so does your digital library.

I always expect replacement systems will be cheap (just look at old Wiis, Dreamcasts, PS2s, etc.) -- what isn't cheap is the software.