Nier: Automata $24 at Best Buy (GCU)

EvilChamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
Nier: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nier-automata-playstation-4/4746900.p?skuId=4746900

All other deals: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?ref=8575135&loc=5f3a065414b311e8b542e6a63278c9240INT&acampID=5f3a065414b311e8b542e6a63278c9240INT&cp=2&searchType=search&_dyncharset=UTF-8&ks=960&sc=Global&list=y&usc=All%20Categories&type=page&id=pcat17071&iht=n&seeAll=&browsedCategory=pcmcat1487698928729&st=categoryid%24pcmcat1487698928729&qp=currentoffers_facet%3DCurrent%20Deals~On%20Sale&sp=%2Bcurrentprice%20skuidsaas

5e9aade1-9bee-49bb-a70a-4544478eb3b9_1.86e75d9e2d9a85e1e8506ce99c475a95.jpeg

From what i have read you have to play thru it 3 times to complete the game. Apparently the 3rd play thru has completely different content.

From what i have read you have to play thru it 3 times to complete the game. Apparently the 3rd play thru has completely different content.
Technically, but some endings come after a very short time period. It's not traditional "multiple playthroughs", at one point if you make a wrong turn down a path the game gives you an ending and you start again.

The hardest part about this sale will be finding it instock.

I am playing the game on Hard and the fact that you have to restart that entire prologue if you die is just ridiculous...even Dark Souls is more forgiving because at least you get to keep souls and level up lol. I had to start the game on normal and then switched to hard afterward. What a huge, glaring mistep imo. Isn't a game like this supposed to want to hook you early?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am playing the game on Hard and the fact that you have to restart that entire prologue if you die is just ridiculous...even Dark Souls is more forgiving because at least you get to keep souls and level up lol. I had to start the game on normal and then switched to hard afterward. What a huge, glaring mistep imo. Isn't a game like this supposed to want to hook you early?
Well even Bloodborne had a similar thing for its “prologue.” Long distance between bonfire and first boss, and I remember there was a major character progression block until you beat that first boss (or to be more accurate, got your first boss soul). Secondly, you can’t start a game on hard and then complain that it’s too punishing. Especially for a game that, most people I know anyway, say you should just play on easy.

Nonetheless, I really want to play this game, but my backlog is big enough to wait for a BB sale where it’s $16 after GCU. I mean, I’m currently playing Dragon Warrior II on GBC for goodness’ sake!

Don't want to spoil anything, but there are 3 main story playthroughs that are well worth doing. It has a significant chunk of different experience and plays different regardless. There are also 2 choices at the end for cannon endings. Otherwise there are like 21 joke endings for things like walking away from a boss or other scenarios where you die and it treats your death as the ending. So, so worth playing through the B and C endings

Don't want to spoil anything, but there are 3 main story playthroughs that are well worth doing. It has a significant chunk of different experience and plays different regardless. There are also 2 choices at the end for cannon endings. Otherwise there are like 21 joke endings for things like walking away from a boss or other scenarios where you die and it treats your death as the ending. So, so worth playing through the B and C endings
Can confirm. This game is awesome. I played through and got all endings; each playthrough provides a substantially different experience. It does a lot of really cool meta things such as playing with the settings is part of the narrative; you have a perk system where the UI takes up space so you can remove portions of the UI to squeeze in another perk; the opportunity to buy trophies (including the Platinum) with in-game currency; hidden bosses; humor; and philosophical musings on the meaning of life. As soon as my interest was starting to wane, the game would introduce a new mechanic and encourage me to play the game in a new way.

I'm not typically a JRPG/anime guy, but I highly recommend people check it out and give it a chance.

When you go into the game, don't think of the endings as endings.  It's more of a gimmick in the sense that there's only one real ending.  The story has a single continuity and is imo, very good.  The story in this game makes the argument that video games are indeed a respectable art if only because of the way the story is told (something only a game can do), it's very much worth playing if you're the kind of person that looks for fresh experiences in games rather than polished but derivative stuff.

Secondly, you can’t start a game on hard and then complain that it’s too punishing. Especially for a game that, most people I know anyway, say you should just play on easy.
I always start my games on hard and rarely ever need to lower it because I eventually learn and "git gud." The difficulty itself is not the issue here.

The issue is that they send you all the way back, literally the start screen, as if you have never played it. Afterwards, dying doesnt punish you nearly as much. I ended up lowering it to medium but ever since beating that first section, I've been playing on hard. I think that right there is testament to this inital mistep and inconsistency in game design. If it were the difficulty itself I had a problem with, well then I'd have to play the entire game on medium.

I always start my games on hard and rarely ever need to lower it because I eventually learn and "git gud." The difficulty itself is not the issue here.

The issue is that they send you all the way back, literally the start screen, as if you have never played it. Afterwards, dying doesnt punish you nearly as much. I ended up lowering it to medium but ever since beating that first section, I've been playing on hard. I think that right there is testament to this inital mistep and inconsistency in game design. If it were the difficulty itself I had a problem with, well then I'd have to play the entire game on medium.
I can see that, but like in the part you cut off, was it also bad design that Bloodborne had a similar trial by fire? Dark Souls 1’s rooftop gargoyles fight was by far the hardest, most grueling part of that game for me, and that’s right at the beginning as well. Same thing to the beginning of Fire Emblem Awakening’s hard+ mode. On a second read, I didn’t mean for my first response to sound condescending or anything of the sort.. I’m not trying to make it sound like you should “git gud,” because I hate that phrase, but it may be possible that what you considered a misstep might have been an intentional design to set up an high expectation from the get-go.

For what it’s worth, I am not saying just because it’s intentional doesn’t mean it wasn’t a mistake.

I don't get the image... is that supposed to Imply her android ass is sweet?  :whistle2:k

Nier: Automata was a top 3 game of 2017 for me (w/ P5 and HZD). While there were some missteps (graphics were appropriate but just ok, sidequests were lackluster) the overall package is outstanding.  You'll get more out of the game's lore if you've played Nier or the Drakengard series, but it's not required to appreciate the game.  And since no one else has mentioned it, the soundtrack is phenomenal.  Probably the strongest beginning to end music I've heard in a game. 

The weirdest thing about N.A. for me was that while I was playing, I enjoyed the game but I wasn't "consumed" by it as is sometimes the case with games I love.  However, after finishing it (that ending is special) I couldn't get it out of my head and spent my lunch breaks for two weeks watching videos and reading articles about the game's lore and arguing for its consideration as a masterpiece.  I still listen to the soundtrack at least once a week while doing class work.  It definitely isn't for everyone, but it is a special game. 

The games creator is known for doing things his way. Everything about the game's design is intentional

I don't get the image... is that supposed to Imply her android ass is sweet? :whistle2:k
She got cake!

The games creator is known for doing things his way. Everything about the game's design is intentional
That's implying game makers never make oversights and that we should just accept every single decision made in the game...

It's a great game and this is a great price, but I felt the game was too hyped.  I thought the side quests were very weak and the game had too many invisible walls when it looked like they could be jumped on.  By the time I got the 3rd ending, I felt a bit burnt out.  

bread's done
Back