The Great CD Case Project

SneakyPenguin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
Well, I figured it'd be best to stop hijacking the other thread with the talk, so here it ts, the CD project. This is a project to make CD case inserts for GCN, X-Box, and PS2 games. It's just getting started, so there isn't really anything in the way of material, but there are two test runs:

By punqsux

and

By me.

And help making templates or scanning covers would be appreciated.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']that would be cool to see a halo 2 cd cover art, imo[/QUOTE]

It will never be made by me. I'll try and fix up that template, and maybe get to work on the X-Box and GCN ones later.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']It will never be made by me. I'll try and fix up that template, and maybe get to work on the X-Box and GCN ones later.[/QUOTE]
now having barely any artistic talent, and no photoshop programs (Besides ms paint:rofl: ) Is there any way i can help?

[quote name='MillerTime2523']now having barely any artistic talent, and no photoshop programs (Besides ms paint:rofl: ) Is there any way i can help?[/QUOTE]

Actually, yes. If you have access to a scanner, any case scans would be appreciated, as it is the most time consuming part. We need font, sides,a nd backs, and no GH/PC/PH. If you can supply those (at at least 200ppi resolution), itd be great.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Actually, yes. If you have access to a scanner, any case scans would be appreciated, as it is the most time consuming part. We need font, sides,a nd backs, and no GH/PC/PH. If you can supply those (at at least 200ppi resolution), itd be great.[/QUOTE]
i think there might be one at my moms work, so if im ever up there, ill see what i can do. check my collection (later in this post) and let me know if theres anything specific you would want me to scan out.

http://users.ign.com/collection/MillerTime2322?objType=1

i could make a halo 2 one if someone provided me with scans, but i dont have an xbox, im MAINLY concentrating on ps2 games, so they match their ps1 bretheren, and take up less space, i might do this with my cube games too, but like i said, im going for mostly ps2 ^^

i wont be contributing much until next week when im back in pa, when ill have access to my scanner and my prefered photoshopping mouse.

until then, ill see if i can get templates going at least.

This one's a bit more polished, with my updated (read: clean) Template. The ESRB looks bad, but I don't have any copies of just it, they're all cropped from games.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']i like those a lot, espicially the conker one. theres no scanner at my moms work, but is there anything else i can do to help??[/QUOTE]

The support is always nice, but if you could drum up interest on other sites, and such, that would be good too. I'm going to try and get the backs for these 4 games done tonight, and probably do a lot of scanning tomorrow.

Just noticed I messed u the X-Box template (left the ntsc in), so don't use that conker one, I'm changing it soonish.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']now having barely any artistic talent, and no photoshop programs (Besides ms paint:rofl: ) Is there any way i can help?[/QUOTE]

If you need a photoshop-like program, you could try the GIMP. It worked fine for the cover I made for the other thread. I just need to figure out how to separate an image from a background. The method I used was very tedious.

[quote name='erehwon']If you need a photoshop-like program, you could try the GIMP. It worked fine for the cover I made for the other thread. I just need to figure out how to separate an image from a background. The method I used was very tedious.[/QUOTE]
thanks a lot, i just downloaded it, so now all i need are the scanned images.:applause:

Check this faq. Did you download the wrong version? Either that or I'm guessing you didn't also download the GTK+ 2 runtime environment.

Installers for GIMP for Windows This page has the two links that you need, the GTK+ 2 runtime environment and the Gimp for Windows. Install these and it should work.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Actually, yes. If you have access to a scanner, any case scans would be appreciated, as it is the most time consuming part. We need font, sides,a nd backs, and no GH/PC/PH. If you can supply those (at at least 200ppi resolution), itd be great.[/QUOTE]
Why not just use cdcovers.cc?

If you're planning on scanning them, I would recommend at least 300dpi (ppi).

[quote name='Hunter55']Why not just use cdcovers.cc?[/QUOTE]

Those are usually lower quality then I'm hoping for.

and hiccup, i've printed designs at 150 (PSP cases), and they come out crystal sharp. 300 dpi is way too large of a file, and it's even hard finding covers thatnice online.

Current request for a scan, the Japanese Ico cover. I have the american version, but it sucks compared to the Japanese ne, and I can't find a high res image of it.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']i did all that its just not working.[/QUOTE]
What do you have installed at the moment? Do you have the GTK+ 2 runtime environment? If you do, which one? If you have the newer runtime envirionment and the GIMP installed, uninstall the new one and install this older runtime. I just making suggestions based on the second bullet of that faq. Also is this, /gimp-win/gimp-2.2.8-i586-setup.zip, the file you downloaded?

From what I understand all you need is the the GIMP installer and the GTK+ 2 runtime environment. You need to install the GTK+ 2 runtime environment first. Download the first two files from this page. You do have a program to unzip these files that you downloaded, right? Once you unzip them, you install the GTK+ thing and then you install the GIMP.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Two new tests, new X-box Template:

http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=conkerfront8sc.jpg

And Gamecube template:

I don't really like the X-Box Template, and that stupid rating was a bitch to get off, so i left it.

EDIT I fixed the Conker, and will fix the template too.[/QUOTE]

im going to agree, there just looks to be something off on the xbox one.

the gamecube one however is beautiful, nicely done (trust me, if *I* cant find anything to bitch about, thats a good job) =o)

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']And Gamecube template:

I don't really like the X-Box Template, and that stupid rating was a bitch to get off, so i left it.

EDIT I fixed the Conker, and will fix the template too.[/QUOTE]
Hrm, how would you feel about the "Only for" being on the top-left instead of bottom-left, and rotating the Nintendo Gamecube 180 degrees? The "Only for" looks out of place, but it wouldn't look right if you kept the GCN logo the way it was. Dunno, play with it a little.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']

Could use some work, but that needed a LOT of touch ups to get it to fit nice.[/QUOTE]
again, im gunna be a jerk

shouldnt we make the spines black on all cases for uniformity?

other than that, looks great ^^

i made 2 contra variants, these are low quality images because im on dial up and we dont have webspace yet, but i still have the psd files.

also im working on making a template zip file, as soon as we can agree on everything, it will include covers, and back templates, esrb ratings, company logos, and informative logos (how many players, blocks on a card, ect.)

post feedback as always!
http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=contrass7lb.jpg
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3867/contrass24sz.jpg

These look pretty cool guys. Are there many disc-only current gen games out there though? What are you doing with the original cases if you're using cd cases instead?

[quote name='Backlash']These look pretty cool guys. Are there many disc-only current gen games out there though? What are you doing with the original cases if you're using cd cases instead?[/QUOTE]
im doing it to save space, i dont have a clue if ill end up keeping the dvd cases or not, but i have about 200 ps1 games and 200 ps2 games, so this will make things uniformed across both gens and save me alot of space

I see what you mean evilmax, and I'll see if I can change the template quick. And I figured It would be nice to have all black, but did that as a test, so I actually still have the in progress PSD, so quick fix. Expect the fixed ones soonish.

Is there any way to get rid of the curves from where the cover scans? That hurts the images a lot. And where are you planning to put the DVD-sized manuals?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Is there any way to get rid of the curves from where the cover scans? That hurts the images a lot. And where are you planning to put the DVD-sized manuals?[/QUOTE]

None that i know of, and it is annoying. And the manuals I'll probably just toss ina box.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']None that i know of, and it is annoying. And the manuals I'll probably just toss ina box.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried scanning from the case and not taking the DVD covers out? Does the plastic show up?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Is there any way to get rid of the curves from where the cover scans? That hurts the images a lot. And where are you planning to put the DVD-sized manuals?[/QUOTE]

If your scanner supports autorotation, you can scan the cover in 2 pieces (front+spine with back hanging over edge, and rear+spine with front hanging over edge) and then assemble, eliminating the curve.

bread's done
Back