Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen $15.99 GCU Bestbuy.com PS4, Xbone

I got one for PS4. Its too bad my sealed vanilla copy on 360 isn’t worth anything or else I’d sell it to recoup some of the cost

Figures it'd go on sale after I finally gave in and bought it last month.

Great game, one that deserves a sequel.
The present state of Capcom is crap. They would probably screw it up, and not allocate the budget it deserves to make it great. They have made too many stupid choices lately on many of their ip's (dead rising, marvel vs Capcom, devil may cry, resident evil, etc.)

The present state of Capcom is crap. They would probably screw it up, and not allocate the budget it deserves to make it great. They have made too many stupid choices lately on many of their ip's (dead rising, marvel vs Capcom, devil may cry, resident evil, etc.)
They did Monster Hunter World right at least. Imagine the visuals of that game with the gameplay of Dragon's Dogma...

They did Monster Hunter World right at least. Imagine the visuals of that game with the gameplay of Dragon's Dogma...
They knew they had to put their best foot forward with Monster Hunter, as it's the Capcom equivalent to Assassin's Creed (i.e. it rakes in a huge amount of money), and they have to do it up right as it as a franchise pretty much keeps the company afloat. RE is the same but to a bit smaller extent, but the rest of their game catalog they play their cards too close to their chest, to the point of under-budgeting or taking too many precautions, trying to appeal to a wider audience, etc. while alienating the die-hard fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked this up today - great game! Combat is extremely fun. It was hilarious hearing my pawn scream ‘NOOOOOO!!’ The first time my character died.

I'm always surprised to see this about Capcom. I know a lot of people hated Dead Rising 4, but I loved it (and yes I played 1 and 2). I haven't played Resident Evil 7 yet, but it looks amazing and I've heard nothing but great things about it, even from long time fans.

With that said, I'm getting tired of the "Definitive" editions from the past generation that Capcom has been doing. Especially since they hardly ever look better.

So tempted but because it's not much different than the original, I may have to just wait to upgrade my PC and by that version for like $5.

I got one for PS4. Its too bad my sealed vanilla copy on 360 isn’t worth anything or else I’d sell it to recoup some of the cost
Meh, just keep it sealed. That's all you really have going for it. Sealed copies of old ass games are worth something. In 10 years you'll be able to sell it for $30 on ebay.

I'm always surprised to see this about Capcom. I know a lot of people hated Dead Rising 4, but I loved it (and yes I played 1 and 2). I haven't played Resident Evil 7 yet, but it looks amazing and I've heard nothing but great things about it, even from long time fans.

With that said, I'm getting tired of the "Definitive" editions from the past generation that Capcom has been doing. Especially since they hardly ever look better.
Same. I admit I'm not a big fan of the aesthetic changes made to Frank West - the new voice actor and the more "chiseled" appearance. One of the great things about the original Frank was all of his physical flaws - he was slightly overweight, hairy, and didn't have the typical superhero square jaw. In other words he was just a journalist. In the new game the jokes and his entire personality feels forced, and he looks more like a retired cop on testosterone replacement therapy than a middling journalist. But apart from the cosmetic stuff I do find DR4 to be a really fun game.

Resident Evil 7 is amazing as well - can't say enough good things about it. The Baker family are easily the best antagonists in the series since Sadler and that little Napoleon guy from RE4.

Same. I admit I'm not a big fan of the aesthetic changes made to Frank West - the new voice actor and the more "chiseled" appearance. One of the great things about the original Frank was all of his physical flaws - he was slightly overweight, hairy, and didn't have the typical superhero square jaw. In other words he was just a journalist. In the new game the jokes and his entire personality feels forced, and he looks more like a retired cop on testosterone replacement therapy than a middling journalist. But apart from the cosmetic stuff I do find DR4 to be a really fun game.

Resident Evil 7 is amazing as well - can't say enough good things about it. The Baker family are easily the best antagonists in the series since Sadler and that little Napoleon guy from RE4.
That's one of my main gripes. They're changing the aesthetics of a lot of their game characters for no reason. RE changed the look of their characters over the years, but for the most part it was subtle. But with the recent changes in RE7 (attributed to using "facial scanning tech") it was too drastic a change for Chris. I see this being an issue in future games if/when they bring back RE staple characters (I have a feeling there's gonna be a lot of backlash if Leon gets put in RE8 or a subsequent sequel, as he is a fan favorite and I bet they "miscast" him as they did with Chris).

Beside that, there's Frank in Dead Rising 4, the capcom side of marvel vs Capcom infinite, and Dante in DmC (that was a reboot, but the whole black hair thing didn't sit well with me; yeah I know it started to slowly change to white, but that was stupid). Changing the look of a character (and/or recasting them voice wise) has always annoyed me and breaks continuity and breaks immersion. I mean it's hard to ignore when the character is shown the first time and they're like "Hey, I'm Chris Redfield. I know I look nothing like him, but just go with it".

You mean like they did with the original? I'd honestly be okay with that if we ended up getting something of the same quality out of it, even if we didn't get the ridiculously epic undertaking they'd probably try to initially plan.

That said, Dragon's Dogma Online is supposedly Capcom's biggest moneymaker right now (or at least that's what I heard before World came out, so the situation may have changed in the meantime), so if they ever did make a proper sequel, they might actually allocate the budget it deserves. I mean, they won't, but it's theoretically possible.

because it's not much different than the original
Literally the only difference between the PS4/Bone version and the PC version on launch was higher res textures for the new console release.

And then the PC version got those in a patch like the same day or something. I just wish they had the Berserk armor and Into Free. Capcom needs to stop letting their licenses expire on games they rerelease every couple years.

bread's done
Back