* - - - - 1 votes

doing my taxes and donating stuff question about donating stuff to the library or city mission

#1 starmask2k3   CAG MASTER'S Trading Ban   13733 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

starmask2k3

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

I'm doing my taxes and I have a lot of stuff and I have a question about donating stuff to the library or the city mission so I can file it when I do my taxes

which one should I  donate the  stuff to the library or the city mission

#2 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6486 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:26 AM

I'm doing my taxes and I have a lot of stuff and I have a question about donating stuff to the library or the city mission so I can file it when I do my taxes

which one should I  donate the  stuff to the library or the city mission

Many libraries won't take charity, so go with the mission. Ask them for a donation form to file with your taxes. If I recall correctly, you're limited to $500 in noncash charitable donations.

#3 starmask2k3   CAG MASTER'S Trading Ban   13733 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

starmask2k3

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

Many libraries won't take charity, so go with the mission. Ask them for a donation form to file with your taxes. If I recall correctly, you're limited to $500 in noncash charitable donations.

only $500

#4 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16895 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:29 PM

From my experience, it most likely isn't going to matter anyway unless you itemize your deductions. Most people take the standard deduction.

#5 starmask2k3   CAG MASTER'S Trading Ban   13733 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

starmask2k3

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:58 AM

From my experience, it most likely isn't going to matter anyway unless you itemize your deductions. Most people take the standard deduction.

o ok thanks i wish i could sell everything here but am on a trade banned 

#6 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16895 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

o ok thanks i wish i could sell everything here but am on a trade banned 

Yeah, for a family of 3 this year, we had property taxes, medical expenses, charitable donations, non-reimbursed work expenses, etc. and it was STILL more beneficial to take the standard deduction.

Assuming you're single, unless your itemized deductions are totaling somewhere in the $6,000+ range ($12,000+ for married filing jointly), it's likely you'll be better off with the standard deduction too.

https://turbotax.int...emize/L8Ln7K0Gp