- - - - -

Katamari Damacy Vinyl OST - 3000 Copies, 830 remaining

#1 Jurai  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

FYI this went on sale 12 minutes ago, it's over 2/3 sold at this point

https://mondotees.co...soundtrack-2xlp

#2 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1205 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

If I could have gotten it shipped free I'd be in. 35 is my cut off for vinyl.

#3 Jurai  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:30 PM

400 Copies left

#4 Jurai  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

If I could have gotten it shipped free I'd be in. 35 is my cut off for vinyl.

I can't tell if Mondo is exclusively releasing the OST itself, or only their Mondo Exclusive version and another company (Fangamer? Iam8bit?) is going to pick up releasing a non-special copy fwiw

#5 Jurai  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

300 left

#6 baboonfreak   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1084 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

baboonfreak

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:51 PM

I can't tell if Mondo is exclusively releasing the OST itself, or only their Mondo Exclusive version and another company (Fangamer? Iam8bit?) is going to pick up releasing a non-special copy fwiw

Yeah for StarDew Valley I think Fangamer did a 2nd printing. 3000 Copies for Katamari is quite a bit though. Usually limited releases are 500-1000, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is it.

#7 Jurai  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

120 copies remaining

#8 wongjp   Section 9 CAGiversary!   546 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:25 PM

Sold out. I snagged a copy right at 10 am Pacific, this morning.

Mondo did tweet this tidbit once it did though :)

"This won’t be the only pressing, so if you missed out ... stay tuned."

#9 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6007 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:26 PM

Sold out. Great soundtrack too

#10 Jurai  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

edit: oops other ppl pointed it out, I was on lunch

#11 Jurai  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

Sold out. I snagged a copy right at 10 am Pacific, this morning.

Mondo did tweet this tidbit once it did though :)

"This won’t be the only pressing, so if you missed out ... stay tuned."

yeah from the way they worded the release it sounded a lot like a standard release would be out from someone

#12 MarcianTobay  

MarcianTobay

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:19 PM

Oh, dang. It sold out fast!

#13 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1205 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:25 PM

NAAA NA NA NA NA NA NA NANA NA NA NANA NAAAAAA

#14 UjnHunter   Frog Man CAGiversary!   1303 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

Will have to wait for the second coming...

#15 terutt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   158 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

The vinyl rebirth has to be the dumbest thing ever. People fork out $30 for things that were recorded and mastered digitally anyways, and then go home and listen to it on their $40 record player they got at sharper image. Even vinyl had audio limitations...it can only go so low or so,high in terms of range. If you really want the purest audio experience, that is cassette tape whicjh is also analogue and provides for a wider range. When are hipsters going to start buying old crt tv’s and video tapes because they want the “warmth” they provide?

#16 spoonTRex   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   54 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

spoonTRex

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

The vinyl rebirth has to be the dumbest thing ever. People fork out $30 for things that were recorded and mastered digitally anyways, and then go home and listen to it on their $40 record player they got at sharper image. Even vinyl had audio limitations...it can only go so low or so,high in terms of range. If you really want the purest audio experience, that is cassette tape whicjh is also analogue and provides for a wider range. When are hipsters going to start buying old crt tv’s and video tapes because they want the “warmth” they provide?

I'm have zero feelings towards audio on vinyl, and I do not own a turntable and will probably never own one. That said, I still bought this because I love Katamari, and I loved the look of it. So: HATE ON!

#17 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1205 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:13 AM

It's definitely not a matter of audio quality for me. I won't pretend for a second I can hear any difference. Except over YouTube quality which is God awful most of the time, but a regular mp3 or Cd would be the same.

I fucking hate digital purchases. Games, music, movies, whatever. I will not spend money on digital content. I like to own my music, and records are so much more substantial than cds. CD always seemed so flimsy and cheap. I like the artwork, I like the weight, I like the process. I listen to a lot of small metal bands and I enjoy supporting them, and I get something out of it other than a shitty download.

As for vintage vinyl, it gives me another thing to look for at flea markets and yard sales. Some days you strike out looking for video games. But if you're looking for games, music, movies, toys, etc. You have less disappointment.

#18 Jurai  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:39 AM

A lot of vinyl releases do get remastered to cater to the format fwiw

#19 MR_E   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1850 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:39 AM

Most of the time, though, that's just a product of the "loudness war."  Because of differences in formats, vinyl records ARE often mastered with higher dynamic range and lower volume than their CD counterparts, which oftentimes are compressed and limited all to hell these days to make them sound "louder," which studies have shown makes them more appealing on first listen even though it kills their dynamic range and can distort the music.  Really, CDs can be mastered with full dynamic range, too.  They're just quieter and require you to turn up the volume more.  And sometimes vinyl uses the same compressed masters as the CDs.  It basically just amounts to choices on the part of the labels/artists/mastering studio.

#20 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3709 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:44 AM

Mondo don't do this, though. They usually get CD master files and work from there like with their Castlevania and Silent Hill releases. Both are just way too loud because it's not mastered properly for the medium. That goes double for Iam8bit who can Fuck off forever. 

Having said that, when a release is given the proper treatment, you can really notice the difference. Basically anything released by Data Discs or Brave Wave sound absolutely perfect. The Nier soundtracks that recently came out are excellent as well.