* * * * * 9 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 10/19: Sale of the Dead! Destiny 2: Forsaken, Fallout, NBA 2K19, Pub Party, & PSVR Celebration Sales!

#301 Zenaphobe Zerj   Deep Sea Lurker CAGiversary!   588 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Zenaphobe Zerj

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

Im tempted on Project diva. But im debating on F 2nd or X?

I'd recommend F 2nd over X unless you have and really want to use VR. F 2nd has some good songs, and I think it has a better  selection too

o.o; How long is an in-game day? I might want to do that..

Depends on if you're doing a dungeon crawl or just a social link. If you're dungeon crawling, it would take a little bit of time, but a regular day could go to a little less than a half hour. Cutscenes are a different story

#302 Pheran   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1016 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:45 PM

Really happy about the PS+ games - Heavy Rain was amazing on PS3 and I've been meaning to play Beyond, but hadn't gotten to it yet.  I have Rayman from Xbox GwG but it's a good game and will be nice to have on PS4 as well.

#303 SlimSkeletor  

SlimSkeletor

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:47 PM

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet... but H1Z1 open beta is coming to PS4 next month.

#304 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1901 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

Play one in-game day per real world day and you'll be done a year from now.

A little less than a year, actually. Unless you mean he would be done by a year from now, but that's silly semantics.

Oh, but he would've also needed to have started a couple weeks ago to get the full experience playing that way.

#305 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4576 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for this.

I feel like rogue-lites(likes?) at this point are just lazy. “We don’t have to hire a level designer because we can have an algorithm do it for us!” I mean I love Spelunky and all, but my god, a good level design with a human touch is just so much more preferable than random blocks in a room placed by a computer.

It has nothing to do with laziness. Procedural design versus hand design create two very different types of games.

In a game with permadeath, procedural is generally the far better solution. Imagine a difficult dungeon with 100 levels, where you need to start over every time you die. If the levels were the same every time, not only would it become a grind, but the game will be about rote memorization of enemy positions and min-maxing your path. With procedural generation, the game is about adapting to New Challenges every single playthrough.

This is not to say every procedural design system is as good as another. But likewise not every person can design levels as well as the next. But calling one system lazy is ridiculous. A good game designer uses the system appropriate to their goals, and in many cases that will be procedural.

#306 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4576 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

Enter the Gungeon/Nuclear Throne/etc is 100% random shit in a room. There is no inspiration behind them. I can’t speak for Ditto, but if it’s just another rogue-like, I can safely assume I’ll get bored with it nearly instantly.

Oh, you are just shiting on things to s*** on them without trying to understand the fundamental design elements of a hobby you love. Never mind then, carry on, it's not worth discussing with you.

It's one thing to dislike procedural design, or permadeath, it is quite another to stubbornly refuse to understand why and when and how they might benefit a game. Not all games are meant for you.

#307 morbitrius   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   68 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

morbitrius

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:33 PM

That's actually great news to hear that Swords of Ditto is a rogue-like. It's one of my favorite genres of games. I'll certainly be picking it up. I honestly wish there were more of them on consoles. I've played the heck out of Binding of Isaac, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Rogue Legacy, Darkest Dungeon, Spelunky, and Enter the Gungeon. 

Anyone know of any other rogue-likes I should be aware of on the PS4 or anything coming on the horizon that looks good?

#308 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   363 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

Speaking of Heavy Rain..anyone remember if the remaster had been on sale yet for the PS4? The retail price is absurd.

#309 Althax   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   957 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:09 PM

That's actually great news to hear that Swords of Ditto is a rogue-like. It's one of my favorite genres of games. I'll certainly be picking it up. I honestly wish there were more of them on consoles. I've played the heck out of Binding of Isaac, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Rogue Legacy, Darkest Dungeon, Spelunky, and Enter the Gungeon.

Anyone know of any other rogue-likes I should be aware of on the PS4 or anything coming on the horizon that looks good?

Yup I count that a big point in the game’s favor!

#310 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36691 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:10 PM

Speaking of Heavy Rain..anyone remember if the remaster had been on sale yet for the PS4? The retail price is absurd.

Its only "sale" was at 10% off ($26.99) in April 2016: https://psprices.com...0971/heavy-rain

By comparison, the combo pack containing both that and Beyond: Two Souls on PS4 was $15.99 with PS+ in November 2016: https://psprices.com...lstm-collection

#311 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2967 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:15 PM

Well there's Omega Labyrinth Z, but that's entirely dependent on how much of a deviant you are.

#312 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   363 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:20 PM

Its only "sale" was at 10% off ($26.99) in April 2016: https://psprices.com...0971/heavy-rain

By comparison, the combo pack containing both that and Beyond: Two Souls on PS4 was $15.99 with PS+ in November 2016: https://psprices.com...lstm-collection

Thanks. I can never remember that site. Always wanted to play Heavy Rain but not for $30..so I'll hope it goes on sale again.

#313 elessar123  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:27 PM

Well there's Omega Labyrinth Z, but that's entirely dependent on how much of a deviant you are.

He said good....

#314 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8857 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:32 PM

Yeah I honestly think Omega Labyrinth Z may stink. Very, very low expectations there for me.

#315 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5203 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:45 PM

Do you really think you'll play a fighting game on your Vita?

I'm not the person you responded to, but yeah, why not? PSP and Vita are powerhouses for fighting games. Street Fighter x Tekken on Vita is cross-play with the console version and gives you all the DLC characters for both versions. More importantly, it has an exclusive trophy room where you can see other players with their selected characters in the defeated pose and what date you bodied them. It's fun to scroll through pages and pages of bodies you left lying in your wake.

#316 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7660 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

Yup I bought the combo pack then to play Heavy Rain and maybe replay Beyond: Two Souls.  Played neither.  :)

#317 Not Eric   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2418 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:05 PM

I'm not the person you responded to, but yeah, why not? PSP and Vita are powerhouses for fighting games. Street Fighter x Tekken on Vita is cross-play with the console version and gives you all the DLC characters for both versions. More importantly, it has an exclusive trophy room where you can see other players with their selected characters in the defeated pose and what date you bodied them. It's fun to scroll through pages and pages of bodies you left lying in your wake.

Multiplayer in Darkstalkers PSP is ad hoc only.

#318 yasqueen80  

yasqueen80

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

They are surprisingly fun and I think it's primarily due to the randomly generated levels.

#319 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2967 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:17 PM

Outside of the gimmick, Omega Labyrinth Z looks very similar to Sorcery Saga, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The main thing I didn't like about that was Kuu acting independently and generally being a dick. And there ain't no Kuu in Omega Labyrinth..

In any case, the game combines two of my favorite things; roguelikes and oppai. There's no chance I'm not getting it.

#320 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   805 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:26 PM

Currently have in my cart:

Icey

Cosmic Star Heroine

DMC4SE Demon Hunter Bundle

Gravity Rush Remaster

Nier: Automata DLC

Salt & Sanctuary

Any other recs from the sale?  Mainly looking for things under $25 and currently only available digitally. TIA

#321 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8176 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:28 PM

Currently have in my cart:

Icey
Cosmic Star Heroine
DMC4SE Demon Hunter Bundle
Gravity Rush Remaster
Nier: Automata DLC
Salt & Sanctuary

Any other recs from the sale? Mainly looking for things under $25 and currently only available digitally. TIA

Aegis Defenders is a really good mix of platforming, hack n slash and tower defense.

#322 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   3242 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:30 PM

I really enjoyed NeuroVoider, Downwell, Risk of Rain, Heart&Slash and Ziggurat.

I played all the other games you listed as well and enjoyed them too. Check these ones out.

Darkest Dungeon, Rogue Legacy and Spelunky are three of my favorite games of this generation.

Swords of Ditto is on my wishlist but I need to finish God of War first and that it going to take me a while.

#323 elessar123  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:47 PM

Outside of the gimmick, Omega Labyrinth Z looks very similar to Sorcery Saga, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The main thing I didn't like about that was Kuu acting independently and generally being a dick. And there ain't no Kuu in Omega Labyrinth..

In any case, the game combines two of my favorite things; roguelikes and oppai. There's no chance I'm not getting it.

lol I forgot about Kuu. Enemy proceeds to disarm you 70% of the time, Kuu eats it. FU KUU!!!

#324 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67671 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:53 PM

Brut@l is a really cool hack-and-slash roguelite.

Counterspy is kind of a roguelite with stealth/Metroid-style mechanics to it.

Galak-Z is a great shooter with kind of a sandbox-style of open area combat to it.

Hand of Fate is a cool mix of D&D-style role-playing presentation and Batman-lite style of combat.

Neon Chrome is a great dual-stick shooter set in a Rogue Legacy-style framework/progression.

Nuclear Throne is similar to Enter the Gungeon.

Risk of Rain is a cool side-scrolling shooter roguelite.

Rogue Aces is kind of a roguelite with the framework of being a side-scrolling flight combat game.

The Swindle is a neat stealth puzzle game about robbing buildings without getting caught by the police.

#325 morbitrius   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   68 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

morbitrius

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:50 PM

I really enjoyed NeuroVoider, Downwell, Risk of Rain, Heart&Slash and Ziggurat.

I played all the other games you listed as well and enjoyed them too. Check these ones out.

Darkest Dungeon, Rogue Legacy and Spelunky are three of my favorite games of this generation.

Swords of Ditto is on my wishlist but I need to finish God of War first and that it going to take me a while.

Brut@l is a really cool hack-and-slash roguelite.

Counterspy is kind of a roguelite with stealth/Metroid-style mechanics to it.

Galak-Z is a great shooter with kind of a sandbox-style of open area combat to it.

Hand of Fate is a cool mix of D&D-style role-playing presentation and Batman-lite style of combat.

Neon Chrome is a great dual-stick shooter set in a Rogue Legacy-style framework/progression.

Nuclear Throne is similar to Enter the Gungeon.

Risk of Rain is a cool side-scrolling shooter roguelite.

Rogue Aces is kind of a roguelite with the framework of being a side-scrolling flight combat game.

The Swindle is a neat stealth puzzle game about robbing buildings without getting caught by the police.

Thank you all for the recommendations! I will check them out! 

I also forgot to mention, I've been playing a lot of Dead Cells on Steam. It's supposed to be coming to the PS4 eventually. It's a fantastic metroidvania rogue-like. I'd highly recommend checking it out. 

#326 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30572 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:28 PM

I love roguelites but Swords of Ditto definitely has issues with its structure. Dungeons being locked behind leveling up is super annoying, the strict timeframe discourages exploration of the game's fun secrets, and enemies scale as you level up so carrying over your level from run to run is virtually pointless.

It has a lot of good aspects too, but I was disappointed in it overall. I also knocked it down to easy mode which gives you two more in-game days and makes the level grinding a bit more tolerable.

#327 Lonely Boy   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   793 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:40 PM

I'm hoping with all this focus on Quantic Dream, Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy will go on sale sometime next month. Haven't played Heavy Rain since its debut either, but I loved it enough to want to revisit it (and Beyond) before Detroit comes out.

I don't really know the definition of roguelike, but it sounds like procedurally generated levels and permadeath are key features? If so, Don't Starve (open-world survival) is the one I've played. Nice looking game, but I'm definitely not a fan of the genre.

In fact, there's an (optional) section in the new God of War that's "roguelike"-like (randomly generated and you lose all your progress if you die) and it's pissing me the Fuck off. I barely escaped out of there once and you have to mine a bunch of materials in order to clear the area. I've spent hours in that grindy hell and still made no progress.  :censored:

#328 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1446 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:42 PM

any one play Headlander?

kinda feels like a future Plus game since Double Fine games seem to eventually be free

#329 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2967 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:04 AM

I guess I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on my Golden Week purchases. I doubt anyone will have a code they don't plan to use after all these decent sales lately.

I love roguelites but Swords of Ditto definitely has issues with its structure. Dungeons being locked behind leveling up is super annoying, the strict timeframe discourages exploration of the game's fun secrets, and enemies scale as you level up so carrying over your level from run to run is virtually pointless.

I do wish devs would understand that open environments begging to be explored and time limits do not mix.

#330 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67671 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:12 AM

Swery released a prototype PC demo for The Good Life so that potential backers can try out what they've been showing off in gameplay demos for themselves:

https://www.kickstar...e/posts/2170502