* * * * - 12 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 11/16: Black Friday Sale & More! $40 Year PS+ & $80 Year PS Now Subs! $22 Detroit/God of War, $20 P5, & More!

#2161 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Four Roses Single Barrel CAGiversary!   2011 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:35 AM

That extra $7 bucks in each paycheck should help balance out the sales tax though....

And $7? My first paycheck increase was almost $100...

Well, I forgot there was a wage increase as well that hit the same time. But still, much higher than $7

#2162 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4346 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:01 AM

The bigger question is how in the world could you find the time to play that many games in the first place.

You're supposed to be buying games here, not playing them.

I multitask so maybe he does as well?   I am playing a game as I am writing this post.

#2163 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1907 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

That dumb piece of shit...

Even more reason to buy now and ask questions later. This will definitely curb my spending habits if it ever comes to pass. One of the few reasons I switched to digital-only.

Between Toys R Us going down, Amazon Prime going up, GCU being discontinued and now sales tax being applied to online purchases, 2018 is turning out to be a shit year for CAGs.

You don't even need the "for CAGs" part there.

So I guess this means that we now all move to a state that doesn't charge sales tax.

I am playing a game

Liar!

#2164 Killbomb   The Misanthrope CAGiversary!   3503 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

That dumb piece of shit...

Even more reason to buy now and ask questions later. This will definitely curb my spending habits if it ever comes to pass. One of the few reasons I switched to digital-only.

Between Toys R Us going down, Amazon Prime going up, GCU being discontinued and now sales tax being applied to online purchases, 2018 is turning out to be a shit year for CAGs.

Only hope is that PSN will only charge the state sales tax like Best Buy does in my state when I order something for shipping instead of Amazon who apparently charges both state and local tax.

#2165 cbulas1   John 3:16 CAGiversary!   968 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

Can someone please refresh my memory?  Are we expecting a Flash Sale today?  I can't remember when the last one was...

#2166 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36712 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:39 PM

Can someone please refresh my memory?  Are we expecting a Flash Sale today?  I can't remember when the last one was...

Either today or next Friday. I'm leaning towards today.

#2167 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Four Roses Single Barrel CAGiversary!   2011 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

Only hope is that PSN will only charge the state sales tax like Best Buy does in my state when I order something for shipping instead of Amazon who apparently charges both state and local tax.

The law would require them to tax just like any other business, pretty sure based on the Zip code of delivery point.

And before you all just trash Trump for ruining your fun...

http://money.cnn.com...vote/index.html

Obama tried this in 2013.

And if you do more research... the whole "state presence" taxes that are in place now, dates back to a 1992 supreme court case

https://en.wikipedia...f_digital_goods

And as you can see, the states were making laws after the tax freedom act signed by Clinton

This has been a fight now for almost 20 years

Keep in mind that "Digital" and "Physical" goods are two different things, and have been argued over extensively... and I'm not talking here on CAG either. That has gone back and forth in Congress forever, Pass a bill to charge tax on Digital goods, then pass a bill to remove it permanently 6 months later.. House and Senate both.

#2168 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7690 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

Certainly good for brick and mortar stores who have been complaining about Internet companies not collecting.  Still failing to see how it is better for consumers though.

More and more what I buy online is being taxed anyway so whatever.  Just seems like a strange comment.  

#2169 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8284 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

The law would require them to tax just like any other business, pretty sure based on the Zip code of delivery point.

And before you all just trash Trump for ruining your fun...
http://money.cnn.com...vote/index.html
Obama tried this in 2013.
And if you do more research... the whole "state presence" taxes that are in place now, dates back to a 1992 supreme court case
https://en.wikipedia...f_digital_goods
And as you can see, the states were making laws after the tax freedom act signed by Clinton

This has been a fight now for almost 20 years

Keep in mind that "Digital" and "Physical" goods are two different things, and have been argued over extensively... and I'm not talking here on CAG either. That has gone back and forth in Congress forever, Pass a bill to charge tax on Digital goods, then pass a bill to remove it permanently 6 months later.. House and Senate both.

I’m not blaming Trump for the sales tax. I’m only blaming him for saying it’s “good for consumers”. In what way is it good for consumers?

#2170 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   368 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:17 PM

I’m not blaming Trump for the sales tax. I’m only blaming him for saying it’s “good for consumers”. In what way is it good for consumers?

You have to understand that Trump still thinks that Amazon doesn't collect sales tax. At all. This entire tweet is about him thinking that Jeff Bezos is getting hurt.

He isn't and that's what's funny about it.
  • dfo likes this

#2171 CrepeNuts  

CrepeNuts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:22 PM

Hyper Light Drifter is FINALLY on sale!

#2172 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4346 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:29 PM

You have to understand that Trump still thinks that Amazon doesn't collect sales tax. At all. This entire tweet is about him thinking that Jeff Bezos is getting hurt.

He isn't and that's what's funny about it.

partially incorrect.  Amazon only charges taxes in some states still last I heard just like psn.  From what I recall it is mainly ones where amazon has a physical presence or is building distribution centers and the like.  alaska montana delaware oregon and new hampshire are the ones with no tax.  3rd party items are not taxed as well outside washington state.

This also only applies to purchases inside the us iirc as I have made purchases from eu and canada sellers and those didn't have tax attached either but that was a while ago so that could have changed.

There are also odd exceptions like the state wont charge taxes except for out of state purchases weirdly.

Then there's how much they charge tax as some states have lower tax for online than physical and charge a flat rate that wont increase like alabama.

#2173 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7690 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

partially incorrect.  Amazon only charges taxes in some states still last I heard just like psn.  From what I recall it is mainly ones where amazon has a physical presence or is building distribution centers and the like.

Supposedly they collect in the 45 states that have sales tax as of 4/1/2018.  However if you buy something from an Amazon partner or whatever they might not be collecting the sales tax.

http://money.cnn.com...-tax/index.html

https://www.forbes.c...1/#23d2255c4e59

#2174 beaubalon  

beaubalon

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

It seems like there’s a flash sale starting but I don’t see any banners or anything

Nevermind, there it goes! FLASH SALE EVERYONE!

#2175 CrepeNuts  

CrepeNuts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

https://store.playst...FLASHSALE18LP/1

#2176 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4584 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

Certainly good for brick and mortar stores who have been complaining about Internet companies not collecting. Still failing to see how it is better for consumers though.

More and more what I buy online is being taxed anyway so whatever. Just seems like a strange comment.

It's certainly not directly better for consumers, in that we pay more. There are probably some indirect benefits. In theory, this will allow brick-and-mortar stores to compete better with online stores. Less stores closing down is better for communities -more jobs, less abandoned strip malls. Also in theory, states will be getting more tax money to do things, avoiding the need to raise taxes. In practice though, I'd always prefer no sales tax.

#2177 AoA   Ace of Aces CAGiversary!   1577 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

No 99 cent sale.  I'm appalled.

Okay, back to the regular stupidity.

Although, I will say Destroy All Humans on sale again?  Sony really wants me to buy that game.  One of these times they'll win.

#2178 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Four Roses Single Barrel CAGiversary!   2011 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:57 PM

It's certainly not directly better for consumers, in that we pay more. There are probably some indirect benefits. In theory, this will allow brick-and-mortar stores to compete better with online stores. Less stores closing down is better for communities -more jobs, less abandoned strip malls. Also in theory, states will be getting more tax money to do things, avoiding the need to raise taxes. In practice though, I'd always prefer no sales tax.

This..
taxes are a pain, there is no perfect answer.

#2179 DSBrad  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:58 PM

Hyper Light Drifter is FINALLY on sale!

Been waiting for this day for a long time.

#2180 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7690 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:00 PM

That is the theory anyway.  8.125% (the larger rate we pay around here) isn't/hasn't really swayed my purchases in the past.  If I want something now and it is the same price locally I would get it locally.  But the convenience of having it delivered to me if I am in no rush is worth 10%.  I think local stores have a lot more issues then just sales tax.  But guess we will see that the playing field is about to be more level.

Anyway back to the flash sale.

#2181 CrepeNuts  

CrepeNuts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:04 PM

Been waiting for this day for a long time.

Hell yeah.

The rest of the sale is bush league, but seeing this go on sale makes it worth it.

#2182 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Four Roses Single Barrel CAGiversary!   2011 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:04 PM

Side note to affa’s comment..
Look at all the mom and pop shops etc that have directly shut down due to amazon.. its not hard to find all the stories. Granted it was both price and taxes.

And jimbo is right, it will level the playing field a bit as well.

#2183 elessar123  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:09 PM

You're supposed to pay use tax anyways. All this -really- does is enforces it.

#2184 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Four Roses Single Barrel CAGiversary!   2011 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:12 PM

Going through the flash sale... thr surge complete edition still shows as purchased! I forgot i grabbed it when they screwed up, figured that sony would have corrected it by now.

#2185 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8927 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:17 PM

No 99 cent sale.  I'm appalled.

Okay, back to the regular stupidity.

Although, I will say Destroy All Humans on sale again?  Sony really wants me to buy that game.  One of these times they'll win.

Should have gotten them from that one Humble Bundle. I got mine from there and still haven't played them. Did play #2 back in the day though.

#2186 .Beowulf  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

looks like absolutely nothing for me on my first flip through the couple hundred on sale

#2187 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4584 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:39 PM

I'm researching the games for the flash sale. Worth noting, darknet, a well review puzzle game for psvr had a psvr optional patch. It's in my maybe list.

I'm excited by infiniFactory. It's by the people who did Space chem which is absolutely amazing. You design a factory. It's like a super addictive optimization puzzle. Definitely picking it up

Has anyone played necropolis? Lots of maybe games on this list. I've been really good lately and never getting my maybe games though

Hand of Fate 2 refuses to go on sale.

That is the theory anyway. 8.125% (the larger rate we pay around here) isn't/hasn't really swayed my purchases in the past. If I want something now and it is the same price locally I would get it locally. But the convenience of having it delivered to me if I am in no rush is worth 10%. I think local stores have a lot more issues then just sales tax. But guess we will see that the playing field is about to be more level.

Anyway back to the flash sale.

I live in a no sales tax state. We still buy a lot online. Saving time and gas is a big deal when you've got kids. That said, living in
A tax free state, it's shocking going out of state and seeing how much the government adds on. Like, I can do the math, but actually seeing it in practice is weird. I mean, I grew up paying sales tax but it is so much better not.

#2188 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8927 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

Same old stuff in flash sales. Alright prices but I own what I want, and some I'm thinking about (SAO Bullet) I want a bit cheaper.

#2189 Gurren Lagann   Who Da Hell Do You Think I Am CAGiversary!   2782 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Gurren Lagann

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:48 PM

Any thoughts on transistor ps4 and risk of rain ps4?

#2190 Zenaphobe Zerj   Deep Sea Lurker CAGiversary!   595 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Zenaphobe Zerj

Posted 22 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

Any thoughts on transistor ps4 and risk of rain ps4?

I'll be the guy with the Transistor avatar that says you should really play it. It is one of my favorites from the early PS4 days, and the music is delightful. You may want to watch a video on youtube about the combat, as it is a bit non-traditional, but it's easy to get a hang of. There is also a thing about people not liking the game's means of narration. For reference, the main character is mute, so most of the narration comes from the sword she carries. Who knows, you may end up loving it like I did. For $5 I'd say its worth it.