* * * * - 20 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 7/9: PS Retro Sale! $4 Arcade Archive games, $14 Konami Collections, $5 Ikaruga, $10 Yakuza Kiwami, & More!

#9541 Zantra  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:14 AM

Was the Shovel Knight DLC free at some point and for a limited time? I have the cartridge but I’m curious to know if it make sense to buy Treasure Trove.

It was on 3DS. Not sure about any other console. I got the original game, and all of the other dlc for free as it was released.

#9542 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! Banned   1790 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:25 AM

has Night Trap ever been on sale?

#9543 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   37580 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:54 AM

has Night Trap ever been on sale?

Nope--I've had it on my Wish List since release on both PS4 and Vita and never seen the price drop.

#9544 cbulas1   John 3:16 CAGiversary!   1087 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:23 PM

I may actually miss loading screens. Developers used to do some pretty cool stuff with those, like mini games, and hidden lore, and stuff like that. Or, just having cool artwork to look at.

I guess I don't really "get" all this talk about there being potentially no loading screens on PS5 games.  Sure, they can show Spider-Man running with super fast load times on next generation hardware, but won't native PS5 games get bigger and more complex (with more data to load) than any current PS4 game, so there will be loading screens for those titles after all?

Or is there some aspect to the technology I'm missing so they'll be able to eliminate loading times even on next-gen games?

#9545 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1301 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

I guess I don't really "get" all this talk about there being potentially no loading screens on PS5 games.  Sure, they can show Spider-Man running with super fast load times on next generation hardware, but won't native PS5 games get bigger and more complex (with more data to load) than any current PS4 game, so there will be loading screens for those titles after all?

Or is there some aspect to the technology I'm missing so they'll be able to eliminate loading times even on next-gen games?

I think the reference is in regards to more efficient/background loads.  Take the latest God of War game for example, they hide the load screen behind an animation opening a door that zooms in a little and takes up the whole screen.  That whole sequence is already pre-loaded and it allows for seamless transition.  Even when you fast travel, they throw you into another plane and while the levels load you can still walk around and do stuff, plus there's the conversation pieces between Kratos and Atreus as well.

Another game does something similar in hiding the load screen, but I can't remember what it was even though I played fairly recently.

#9546 Pheran   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1434 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

I hate the fact that they keep throwing the word "customized" in with this SSD.  If Sony isn't using a standard NVMe M.2 SSD, they are doing something stupid again.  Those can be enormously fast; they don't need further customization.

#9547 CrepeNuts  

CrepeNuts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

REZ IS FINALLY ON SALE ONCE AGAIN. Time to buy.

#9548 deadofnight   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   985 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

deadofnight

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:04 PM

I hate the fact that they keep throwing the word "customized" in with this SSD.  If Sony isn't using a standard NVMe M.2 SSD, they are doing something stupid again.  Those can be enormously fast; they don't need further customization.

Maybe custom is a nice way of saying proprietary. Maybe in the next Playstation we won't be able to replace the internal hard drive. Perhaps external drives will be the only way to increase storage.

#9549 Pheran   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1434 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:19 PM

Maybe custom is a nice way of saying proprietary. Maybe in the next Playstation we won't be able to replace the internal hard drive. Perhaps external drives will be the only way to increase storage.

That would be exactly what I mean by doing something stupid, so I hope not.

#9550 WolfmanASTN   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1595 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

WolfmanASTN

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:36 PM

Was the Shovel Knight DLC free at some point and for a limited time? I have the cartridge but I’m curious to know if it make sense to buy Treasure Trove.

If you bought the game before a certain point in time you could get all future DLC free i think

#9551 Zipomatic2   Really, Really Cheap CAGiversary!   593 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:44 PM

So when they say "Double Discount" they mean "half the normal discount so the sale prices are actually the same" right?

#9552 CrepeNuts  

CrepeNuts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

Got a fancy avatar for beating Days Gone. Man, talk about a game that overstays it’s welcome. Oh, and all the characters are unlikable.

#9553 Churchbus   Squirtin out both ends CAGiversary!   156 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Churchbus

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:39 PM

So when they say "Double Discount" they mean "half the normal discount so the sale prices are actually the same" right?

Yeah, this feels less like "PS+ gets double discount" and more like "non-PS+ peasants get bread crumbs".

#9554 the_ENEMY_   Undead CAGiversary!   1229 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

the_ENEMY_

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

has van helsing ever been that cheap? can anyone recommend? for that price its hard to overlook

#9555 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   37580 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:51 PM

Not a completely terrible sale this week:

Desert Child

Epic Dumpster Bear

Mary Skelter: Nightmares (now that it's been confirmed the PS4 version of the sequel isn't coming over here... :headache:  )

Superdimension Neptune

#9556 deadofnight   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   985 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

deadofnight

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, just look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It's a game that has been on sale for $29.99 several times, and it didn't need PS+ to get that price. This week it's on sale for $29.99 again, but only for PS+ subscribers. Without PS+ it's $45.

#9557 kaydigi   BK All Day CAGiversary!   1526 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:05 PM

Do you still have to buy the XL pack if you buy Mortal Kombat XL?

#9558 solinari6   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   47 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

solinari6

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:16 PM

has van helsing ever been that cheap? can anyone recommend? for that price its hard to overlook

I believe they have ... the metecritic scores aren't great, and neither have couch co-op.  No clue if you'd still be able to find people to play online with.

#9559 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   482 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:20 PM

This should be called Repetitive Discount Sale...

#9560 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   624 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

I believe they have ... the metecritic scores aren't great, and neither have couch co-op.  No clue if you'd still be able to find people to play online with.

Unless co-op is some sort of deal breaker for him it's not a problem really, the game is fine alone. No idea how the PS4 version specifically is but I got the first game on PC through some random humble bundle and enjoyed it well enough. Nothing in the game blew me away but at the same time I didn't have any glaring issues with it either. I'd totally have no problem paying $5 for it myself.

#9561 Zantra  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:55 PM

Dauntless, a Monster Hunter clone with Fortnite graphics, is now free to play on PS4, no PS+ required. Though PS+ users get a special pack of free weapon skins.

#9562 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! Banned   1790 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:55 PM

Death Mark was on sale twice for 19.99, now it's on sale for 24.99

it's on my wishlist, but if people didn't buy it for the cheaper price why would they think anybody would buy it for the higher sale price?

#9563 Churchbus   Squirtin out both ends CAGiversary!   156 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Churchbus

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

Death Mark was on sale twice for 19.99, now it's on sale for 24.99

it's on my wishlist, but if people didn't buy it for the cheaper price why would they think anybody would buy it for the higher sale price?

Because it's a double discount.  What a steal!

#9564 WolfmanASTN   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1595 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

WolfmanASTN

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:34 PM

No, the XL pack comes with it. The standalone pack is for anyone who still has just the base game.

#9565 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1163 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:47 PM

Another game does something similar in hiding the load screen, but I can't remember what it was even though I played fairly recently.

Plenty of games do that. But the biggest example of it in recent gaming to me would be the Tomb Raider series

#9566 Down2ride  

Down2ride

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:46 PM

Never mind I found the answer

#9567 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   69981 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:10 PM

The webstore got updated to integrate playstation.com stuff at the top of the page. Everything else seems to be the same.

#9568 2turbotitaniumxtreme   Southern gentleman turned gunman and gambler, who came to Tombst CAGiversary!   28 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

2turbotitaniumxtreme

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

In fact, if you buy XL digitally you have to download the game with content all in one download.  You can't just download the season pass stuff to save room on your hard drive if you don't want to have the game itself loaded.  

I've been wondering if Batman Arkham Knight is the same way.

#9569 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:40 PM

The webstore got updated to integrate playstation.com stuff at the top of the page. Everything else seems to be the same.

I noticed it's now displaying 30 items at a time. Not sure if that's new or what.

Yet another week where I own everything I would want. I'm fucking depressed.

#9570 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   69981 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:51 PM

I noticed it's now displaying 30 items at a time. Not sure if that's new or what.

That's been the norm for years unless I'm missing what you're talking about.