Switch G4 Steelbook/MetalPack/Etc. Compendium

ihadmail

Banned
This is an ongoing work in progress. I will update it as I have new information. Please feel free to add any suggestions, comments or upcoming releases I haven't found yet. I am noting all variations of all releases that I have found.

Released

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Special Edition (US Release)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Collector's Edition (EU Release)
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Best Buy Exclusive)
  • Bayonetta 1&2 Non-Stop Climax Edition (JP Release)(Holds both cartridges)
  • Bayonetta 1&2 Special Edition (EU/AU Release)
  • Mercenary Kings / Flinthook (Limited Run Games)(3000 print run)(Holds both cartridges)
  • PixelJunk Monsters 2 (US Release)(Limited Run Games)(2500 print run)
  • Saturday Morning RPG (US Release)(Limited Run Games)(2500 print run)
  • BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Collector's Edition (US Release)(May not be Steelbook, most likely MetalPack)
  • BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Limited Edition (ASIA Release)(May not be Steelbook, most likely MetalPack)
  • Slime-San (US Release)(Limited Run Games)(2500 print run) 
Confirmed release, Confirmed size

• Flashback 25th Anniversary (EU/US Release)(MetalPack)(30,000 print run)(Amazon.de)(Amazon.co.uk)(Amazon.es)(Amazon.fr)(Amazon.comPreorder now for 6/19/18 Release (EU) 7/1/18 Release (US)
  • Kingdom: New Lands (US Release) (Limited Run Games)(???? Print Run) Purchase on 6/22/18 at 10:00AM GMT-5 (EST), 2nd batch available at 6:00PM GMT-5 (EST)
Confirmed release, Unconfirmed size

Close but not a Case

Protection

Last edited by a moderator:
Images

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
gAqEr2M.jpg

Bayonetta / Bayonetta 2 (EU)
5zzIAP0.jpg

Bayonetta / Bayonetta 2 (JP)
piaATXa.jpg

Mercenary Kings / Flinthook
Concept Art*
FSNFL7B.jpg

Saturday Morning RPG
Concept Art*
9mpZVYC.jpg

PixelJunk Monsters 2
Concept Art*
daLWfrP.jpg

Slime-San
Concept Art*
xIJnPAI.jpg

Change Log:

• 04/27/18 - Updated release dates
  • 04/29/18 - Moved Flashback to confirmed Switch size case, added print run size
  • 05/04/18 - Updated link for BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Collector's Edition
  • 05/07/18 - Moved BBTag to confirmed size. Added sources for Flashback 25th Anniversary
  • 05/10/18 - Added the newest LRG mystery CE to the confirmed list
  • 05/12/18 - Updated the LRG mystery CE details
  • 05/15/18 - Updated the LRG mystery CE details (PixelJunk Monsters 2) Added images section.
  • 05/18/18 - Moved PixelJunk Monsters to released
  • 06/01/18 - Added Slime-San to the confirmed list
  • 06/07/18 - Added quantity to Slime-San. Added Slime-San image. Moved BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Collector's Edition to Released. Moved BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Limited Edition to Released. 
  • 06/12/18 - Moved Slime-San to Released. Added Kingdom: New Lands to Confirmed. Updated Flashback release date and added US release info.

Cool thread!
Are the two Xenoblade ones different?
Yes they are. The US release is white while the EU is silver. Additionally the EU has the core crystal in the rear cover embossed where the US version is simply painted. I will be adding detailed photos of all of the releases steelbooks soon.

Didn't you see we already have a Steelbook thread? We have forum rules you know. . .
There was not previously a Switch specific steelbook thread with details on upcoming releases and where to purchase them. All of this information is already on this very forum, but spread all over many forum sections and many forum threads. Thanks for your feigned concern though.

And how do the Bayo cases differ?
The JP release has Japanese written below where it says "Bayonetta" on the front and back. It holds both cartridges on the inside. It has all of the Sega and Nintendo copyright stuff on the bottom of the back.

The EU release has a diamond shape on the top and bottom of the spine that the JP release doesn't have.

Very minor differences, but distinctly different.

Thanks for this thread.

According to Microids twitter, Flashback will be Switch case size and has a print run of 30,000.

https://twitter.com/Microids_off/status/977203878893707264

https://twitter.com/Microids_off/status/976008894261719040

Thanks for that info. I will update the thread when I have time to get on my PC.

My yard work isn’t going to do itself.....

I just received the US Xenoblade steel from eBay (I already had the Japanese special edition so I didn't care about the rest of the SE contents) and it's gorgeous except for the blank spine. What an oversight! The G4 size suits the cover image better than the JP G2.

I'm not sure if I'll try to get the MK8 case because I think it's kind of boring / ugly. Whoever is in charge of the cases at NoA needs to get smacked with a trout.

I’m really hoping there is a difference in the two BlazBlue steelbooks. I’m taking a big $$ gamble since I haven’t been able to get Arc System Works to respond to tweets/Facebook/emails. I have Play-Asia harassing them for info also and they’ve reported back to me a few times that they still haven’t gotten a response either.

Arc System Works has their online store up and running now. I have still been unable to get an answer from anyone about the size of the Steelbook included in either version of BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle. 

Arc System Works has their online store up and running now. I have still been unable to get an answer from anyone about the size of the Steelbook included in either version of BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle.
Yeah, I see what you are saying as they show a copy of the PS4 steelbook in the Switch version description. I have to assume they will eventually include the Switch sized steelbook (as you can't really hold a Switch cart in a disc holder), but then again you never know.

I preordered the Switch version just in case.

I preordered today also, I can’t miss that chance for keeping my switch steelbook collection complete.
I preordered the Asia multi language Limited Edition yesterday from Play-Asia also.

I just can’t fathom how they have such a social media presence, yet can’t take the 5 minutes or less to answer an email/message with a simple yes or no. At least Play-Asia tried to reach out to them for me.

A user on Reddit pointed out this Twitch stream that shows the BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Collector's Edition Switch steel case alongside the PS4 steel case. It doesn't look to be a Steelbook to me, but I'm still kind of new to this and may be wrong. Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/249332244 The cases are shown at 1:01:45.

Arc System Works also responded to my email and this is what they had to say about the American BBTag CE: "The Switch version of steel case is the size of the Switch game package. It is slightly bigger than the normal case due to the material, but it is almost the same size!"

I'm going to move both releases to the confirmed size category, and will be able to give a better update once I receive both my Asia and American releases.

A user on Reddit pointed out this Twitch stream that shows the BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Collector's Edition Switch steel case alongside the PS4 steel case. It doesn't look to be a Steelbook to me, but I'm still kind of new to this and may be wrong. Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/249332244 The cases are shown at 1:01:45.

Arc System Works also responded to my email and this is what they had to say about the American BBTag CE: "The Switch version of steel case is the size of the Switch game package. It is slightly bigger than the normal case due to the material, but it is almost the same size!"

I'm going to move both releases to the confirmed size category, and will be able to give a better update once I receive both my Asia and American releases.
That's definitely not a steelbook. Shame, I'm gonna cancel my preorder.

LRG's still surprise Switch release for tomorrow apparently has a steelbook in the CE! 2500 available when they go up.

https://www.limitedrungames.com/products/switch-limited-run-4-surprise-collectors-edition-preorder

The price sucks though. For $69.99 you get the game, poster, 3 art cards, steelbook and soundtrack.

And I thought the Owlboy CE was overpriced......
Thanks for posting, I slept through the email. I've updated the first post.

I have a feeling that the Steelbook is going to have a LOT of LRG releases and drive my desire in them way down from over saturation.

I apologize for being late to update the first post.

LRG announced around Midnight EST on Thursday 5/10/18 that they had decided last minute to delay the mystery release after speaking with the game developer again.

It is HIGHLY speculated that this game will be PixelJunk Monsters 2. The placeholders had image names of PJM.jpg The developers of PJ Monsters had originally tweeted on 5/10/18 that the game would be getting a digital release, a lot of DLC and a special limited physical print run. Shortly after the LRG announcement, the PJ Monsters developer removed the tweeted image that announced the physical release. 

We shall find out soon enough I suppose.

I've added images section. I will update with actual photos of the cases once I receive my Switch case stand from LRG so I can get better images. 

I've added the newest Steelbook offering from LRG to the list, Slime-San. 

Is anyone else here other than me shooting to get a full collection of the Switch Steelbooks/MetalPacks? 

I've added the newest Steelbook offering from LRG to the list, Slime-San.

Is anyone else here other than me shooting to get a full collection of the Switch Steelbooks/MetalPacks?
Thought about it but it seems like LRG is putting one in every release. I don't think I want to have so much money tied up with them constantly. I've preordered them all so far but I'm now stopping at Slime-san.

I'm not collecting them all, since the LRG collector's editions quickly got more expensive than I can justify. It sounds like they will have some games that just have a steelbook and not a full on CE, so I'll be getting those I'm sure. Otherwise it's case by case (pun intended) depending on how much I like the game and design.

My BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Limited Edition Asia release has shipped from Play-Asia. I really hope it has a different metal case than the US release otherwise I’ve wasted over $100 on two of the same variation.

My BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle Limited Edition Asia release has shipped from Play-Asia. I really hope it has a different metal case than the US release otherwise I’ve wasted over $100 on two of the same variation.
Speaking of the US version, has yours shipped yet from Arc System Works? No shipping notice yet for me and the game came out two days ago...what's going on with it? Some communication would be nice....

I have received no communication from Arc System Works. Not even a heads up they were charging my card, but the charge was finalized a little over a week ago.

I have received no communication from Arc System Works. Not even a heads up they were charging my card, but the charge was finalized a little over a week ago.
I had an order completion email that had a link to the order. When I clicked on that it actually showed that it had shipped and provided tracking. Looks like 2 day shipping as mine is coming from California and I'm on the east coast.

I had an order completion email that had a link to the order. When I clicked on that it actually showed that it had shipped and provided tracking. Looks like 2 day shipping as mine is coming from California and I'm on the east coast.
Actually was just going to post this. No emails, but I checked my account at the Arc System Works website and they have tracking for my order showing it is supposed to be delivered today. Communication from them is still shitty but at least it is almost here!

Whaddaya know!

I dug up the original order confirmation email from when I placed the order and clicked on the order status. Mine is on the USPS truck for delivery today.

Got mine. it's not a steelbook but some weird new type I haven't seen. It doesnt have a spine but the hinge is not in the middle giving some room for text on the spine. Mine also has a slash on the spine and my box has a pretty thin case which results in quite a few dents in the box, but not the case. I'm glad the game is great because I'm pretty disappointed in the CE. Interested in selling all the extras if someone wants them cheap.

My BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle CE arrived in immaculate condition, miracously. There was a lot of empty space in the shipping box.

I’ve emailed Arc System Works ro try to confirm the manufacturer of the steel case. If it is MetalPak they’re using a different hinge than on the G2 (PS4/BluRay) sized cases.

I’m kind of sad that it’s a considerably thicker case than the Steelbooks, I’m not sure if it’ll fit in one of my protective sleeves.

LRG announced another Switch Steelbook, and many other new Switch games that will most likely get Steelbooks also. 

I'm hoping that the Nintendo Direct today doesn't disappoint with some Steelbook announcements that are from publishers other than LRG. 

bread's done
Back