- - - - -

Cheap Ass Gamer on Wikipedia.org [DELETED BY WIKIBASTARDS]

#31 b0bx13   Ah, custom title. CAGiversary!   1300 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:52 PM

I have class until 1 today, but I can work on it after that. And again, if we can compile a list of "important" events/facts, I'd be more than happy to write up some stuff as well.

EDIT: Okay, I created a skeleton of sorts. Comments? Ideas? Suggestions?

#32 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17697 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:49 AM

Looks good...I made some changes.
The article is flagged for deletion, so it would be great if we could get a few more "Keep"s in there.

http://en.wikipedia....Cheap_Ass_Gamer

#33 AngellicLulu   Aria of the Fates CAGiversary!   9657 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

AngellicLulu

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:00 AM

I can't believe they are trying to delete this again.

#34 spongebolton   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   55 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

spongebolton

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:18 AM

I can't believe they are trying to delete this again.

welcome to the fun world of wikipedia. a bunch of moderators there go around and try to "cleanse" the site of anything they deem unencyclopedic, even though it completly defeats the site's self-purported goal of being a living, evolving encyclopedia.

#35 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17697 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

Looks good...I made some changes.
The article is flagged for deletion, so it would be great if we could get a few more "Keep"s in there.

http://en.wikipedia....Cheap_Ass_Gamer

Too late...its gone.
Oh well...Fuck em!

#36 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:27 PM

Good. It should stay deleted.

Wikipedia:What Wikipedia is not

#37 GuilewasNK   No gimmicks necessary. CAGiversary!   21267 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:29 PM

It figures that something I tried to initiate would get shat on by the Wikis. Oh well. I tried Cheapy, I tried.

#38 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17697 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

Good. It should stay deleted.

Wikipedia:What Wikipedia is not

Where does CAG fit on that list of no-nos, 'cause i couldnt find it.

#39 shipwreck   CAG Reviews Editor Super Moderators   7576 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:09 PM

Why can FatWallet have a page and CAG not? Is it just based on number of hits?

#40 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17697 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:11 PM

My understanding is that its based on whatever idiots happen to chime in on the delete discussions...these cats had no clue whatsoever. You gotta read some of those comments...what a joke!

#41 b0bx13   Ah, custom title. CAGiversary!   1300 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:18 PM

Dammit, I spent a whole morning on that and skipped math for it :cry:

#42 shipwreck   CAG Reviews Editor Super Moderators   7576 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:19 PM

My understanding is that its based on whatever idiots happen to chime in on the delete discussions...these cats had no clue whatsoever. You gotta read some of those comments...what a joke!

I read the comments and it looked like it basically got deleted because they didn't know what it was. They must be very smart people if the know about everything that is entered on Wiki.

#43 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67943 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia....tion/Precedents

Internet
Communities, message boards and blogs are generally not notable

I guess this is a reason they didn't like our page, though any guess seems to give them good reason to delete stuff.

#44 Quackzilla   who am i? CAGiversary!   6050 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Quackzilla

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:13 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamefaqs

Gamefaqs has an extensive entry.

Because gamefaqs if full of losers who have nothing better to do.

I was so tempted to wipe it out, only one click away, but I decided not to. :|

#45 dafoomie   dafoomie CAGiversary!   8822 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:28 PM

There would be a better argument if you could list some things that CAG is notable for, why is it noteworthy compared to other sites of its kind, etc. Being the first to break a noteworthy story would be something.

You could argue that online deal sites in general, or how to find deals online, should have an article instead of a place like Fatwallet having their own.

#46 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:23 AM

Because gamefaqs if full of losers who have nothing better to do.

I was so tempted to wipe it out, only one click away, but I decided not to. :|

Gamefaqs is an extensive repository - an encyclopedia, if you will - of game related information.

#47 Graystone   ` CAGiversary!   15662 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 03:25 PM

They are assholes. The only one with any knowledge was the only person who said keep it.

#48 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:05 PM

There would be a better argument if you could list some things that CAG is notable for, why is it noteworthy compared to other sites of its kind, etc. Being the first to break a noteworthy story would be something.

You could argue that online deal sites in general, or how to find deals online, should have an article instead of a place like Fatwallet having their own.

Too bad those Jessica Simpson pics from the set of Dukes of Hazzard weren't watermarked with a CAG, eh? I'm pretty sure I saw those exact pics in a few celeb mags down the road from when they were posted here. (gf gets them :) ) Man if I was the guy who took them and just posted them up on the web for nothing I'd be kicking myself. Still though that would be breaking a 'story' totally unrelated to the real purpose of CAG (and since the movie is now out, pretty much moot), might not really hold much sway.

#49 hobocorpses   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   416 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

hobocorpses

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:18 AM

I guess I'll post this here since it seems like the right place even though the thread is dead.

Was stumblin' around wikipedia and found cheapassgamer.com mentioned here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaq_fu

Last line.

#50 PINKO   Banned Banned   1291 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

look what ome one did to the gamefaqs page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameFAQs

#51 lordwow   Fmr. VP of the OTT CAGiversary!   20534 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

I'm a little late to the party here guys, but I'm a frequent contributor on Wikipedia.

Anyways, It's tough to get any website listed. As you can see, now even on GameFAQ's page there is a call for references. The problem being that the policies in place on Wikipedia make it nearly impossible to get a website listed that's borderline "notable," because someone can always call Sources on it, and unless print articles can back up what you're saying (IE: EGM writes a history of CAG article), it can be deleted by the mods.

I'm not sure why so many people are so pissy on Wikipedia, but I've fought over many internet-related phenomenia, but it's damn tough to find sources when you consider you can't use anything posted on CAG's site itself.

#52 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   17697 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:51 PM

I don't know if these qualify of sources and honestly, I stopped caring a while ago: http://wiki.cheapass...the_press/media

#53 lordwow   Fmr. VP of the OTT CAGiversary!   20534 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

I don't know if these qualify of sources and honestly, I stopped caring a while ago: http://wiki.cheapass...the_press/media

Probably. I'll use them if I see any issues on Wikipedia again. Either way, Wikipedia's deletion policy feels like the US legal system a lot of times. Lots of little technicalities that someone can pull but most people don't unless they're being an ass.