$500 TCL P Series This Saturday

HurrjOo.gif

Great TV, but if you can spare the extra $100 I'd go with the new TCL 6 series. More dimming zones and improved color gamut. Either way these TCL's are amazing for their price range.

Very nice. I heard there’s a new series coming. If I didn’t spend money on a big ticket item recently I would’ve tried to price match this at a military store so it would be no tax, if they have the item in stock of course.

Love my P605 and highly recommend it. Though I probably also would spend the extra $100 for the new model if you can afford it.

This is a great price for a great TV. However, I definitely recommend getting the 6-series television for an extra $100, or waiting until the P-series drops down further. The 6-series model just released May 1st. I had mine delivered last week and it is incredible. The 6-series model has more dimming zones, improved colors, has better viewing angles, gets about 100-150nits brighter than the P-Series, and looks a heck of a lot better (full metal framing).  Input lag is about identical (within 1-2ms).

The reason that Best Buy is putting the P-Series on sale is because it is the same price as the new model, and the new model is superior in every way.

Either way, these are both great televisions for the cost!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548

This is a great price for a great TV. However, I definitely recommend getting the 6-series television for an extra $100, or waiting until the P-series drops down further. The 6-series model just released May 1st. I had mine delivered last week and it is incredible. The 6-series model has more dimming zones, improved colors, has better viewing angles, gets about 100-150nits brighter than the P-Series, and looks a heck of a lot better (full metal framing). Input lag is about identical (within 1-2ms).

The reason that Best Buy is putting the P-Series on sale is because it is the same price as the new model, and the new model is superior in every way.

Either way, these are both great televisions for the cost!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548
A bunch of reviews already knock the new model for having banding issues, with even one picture being posted.

A lot of 4K TV's have settled down to this price range now. So do you guys think this is the best value TV out there?

I remember in 2016 cags were following the Samsung KS series.

A bunch of reviews already knock the new model for having banding issues, with even one picture being posted.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6 series so I'd love to see the reviews you speak of. Got some links or site names? I've only seen Tom's guide and cnet's reviews and they didn't throw up a big red flag for anything.

A lot of 4K TV's have settled down to this price range now. So do you guys think this is the best value TV out there?

A lot of lesser 4K TVs. The TCL hits above its weight class in cost as it is more comparable to TVs that cost 200 to 400 dollars more than it does. I'm guessing they decided to keep a constant low price without running sales while the others have more brand name and higher costs, but also would have sales.

To answer your question, last year and from what I've seen this year most reviewers used those exact words: best value for a TV. Check it out at rtings.com cnet tom's guide, etc.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6 series so I'd love to see the reviews you speak of. Got some links or site names? I've only seen Tom's guide and cnet's reviews and they didn't throw up a big red flag for anything.
Check out the Best Buy reviews. More and more users are reporting this issue.

This is so tempting but I'm supposed to be cutting costs, not spending a shit ton of money. This will also make me want to buy a Pro.

Seems to go away with further use at least I can report with the budget of this years TV. I would assume the same with higher end ones.

Either way you can always order and exchange (of course that's a pain) I'd imagine they will fix this isssue after the first run of units.

My friend LOVES the new version. He is blown away by the newer version. He ended up returning last years model and said the HDR is *MUCH MUCH* better this year around.

I would save the $100 and get the newer models.

Either way TCL is the way to go in terms of budget TVs. You get TRUE HDR 10 and Dolby Vision and great colors. Check out the reviews online.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent $1000 on the ks8000 55 inch. The 1000 nit is amazing, i literally have to squint my eyes when the screen goes all white for whatever game/show. A little disappointed with the corner lit part though. Like a loading screen thats suppose to be all black with a little loading icon in the corner...the whole corner (and sometimes the whole side)is bright. Kind of a turn off but not buying a new 4k at least for another year or 2. Hopefully they settle on 1 type of HDR for everything by then

Vertical Banding is common in all TVs more so in OLED strangely. Some cases are more severe than others and in those cases all you need to do is exchange it. It should also be noted than some banding will actually slowly disappear or become less noticeable the longer the TV is used. I have the 6 series in both sizes and both blow my Vizio and 2 year old Sony away in terms of picture quality and uniformity.

Vertical Banding is common in all TVs more so in OLED strangely. Some cases are more severe than others and in those cases all you need to do is exchange it. It should also be noted than some banding will actually slowly disappear or become less noticeable the longer the TV is used. I have the 6 series in both sizes and both blow my Vizio and 2 year old Sony away in terms of picture quality and uniformity.
Thank you.

I owned a Samsung plasma for many years and was looking to upgrade to OLED. I eventually decided to purchase the P series back in March as a stopgap and have been very happy with it. The first day I was feeling a little buyers remorse because of the upper corners being a little darker and slight banding when the screen is completely black, but now it is barely noticeable. This tv is totally worth it and can look amazing, just depends on the source.

I have the 6 series, no vertical banding for me (at least that I can notice). First 4k tv so hard for me to compare, but it's unbelievable especially when you consider the price! I'd definitely buy again.

So I read the reviews and one thing on the CNet page pointed out that the TCL 55P605 supports 4K streaming but with Netflix it doesn't?

The Netflix page mentions that some TCL TV's support it but doesn't list what models exactly.

Can anybody confirm this? Or do I have to buy the new model to get 4K streaming through Netflix? Or is the only other option through a PS4 Pro or Xbone X? TIA

Definitely spend the extra $100 and get the newer version. It's getting glaring reviews.  The BB version does not have the better remote though. Amazon's version does but it's $50 more. I was very close to buying this TV but then switched gears to the LG55B7A OLED.  The picture quality is unmatched but now I am reading about HDMI 2.1 being awesome so not sure I want to pull the trigger just yet.

Killer price for a FALD 4K HDR Roku enabled set.  The reason I skipped picking up the P series over the last year was the viewing angles.  The new set seems to address that making it a winner for me but I already settled on an OLED and couldn't be happier.  If I was in need of a set though that price would be tough to pass on.

What sucks is that HDMI 2.1 TVs are getting ready to be the new thing.  It's a big deal for gamers like us so I am debating on waiting for those. This TCL is not HDMI 2.1.

So I read the reviews and one thing on the CNet page pointed out that the TCL 55P605 supports 4K streaming but with Netflix it doesn't?

The Netflix page mentions that some TCL TV's support it but doesn't list what models exactly.

Can anybody confirm this? Or do I have to buy the new model to get 4K streaming through Netflix? Or is the only other option through a PS4 Pro or Xbone X? TIA
I have the P605 and can confirm that it absolutely supports 4K streaming on Netflix including Dolby Vision.

So is Dolby Vision widely available on discs and services? Do you really need a DV capabale thing in every step of the chain (Blu-ray player, AV receiver, HDMI cables, TV, TV’s version of apps, app) for it to work? Like would I need to buy a dedicated $500-class 4K Blu-ray player not the $99 Lg ones to get Dolby? Xbox X can’t?

I thought too only Apple TV could do Dolby Vision for things like Netflix, maybe they were meaning iTunes purchased movies.

What is banding even? All those pics in the Best Buy reviews of white screens look just like white screens. Don’t see vertical black bars anywhere. I was expecting 1920’s prisoner stripes.

https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55r615-2018-roku-tv/review/

That's the TV this thread is about. I don't believe rtings has rated it yet.

No current TV's that I know of as of yet and Xbox One X.
Halfway there, there are no sets that have 2.1 and the xbox one x does not have 2.1. What it will have are parts of features that are included in the 2.1 protocol but not the actual port. Important distinction to make and a big part of why there is no reason to wait.

So is Dolby Vision widely available on discs and services? Do you really need a DV capabale thing in every step of the chain (Blu-ray player, AV receiver, HDMI cables, TV, TV’s version of apps, app) for it to work? Like would I need to buy a dedicated $500-class 4K Blu-ray player not the $99 Lg ones to get Dolby? Xbox X can’t?

I thought too only Apple TV could do Dolby Vision for things like Netflix, maybe they were meaning iTunes purchased movies.
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I have the 6 series and both Netflix and Vudu have played shows/movies in Dolby Vision assuming it's supported by the show/movie, using the built in Roku TV interface. Lost in Space on Netflix and Black Panther UHD on Vudu were in Dolby.

Halfway there, there are no sets that have 2.1 and the xbox one x does not have 2.1. What it will have are parts of features that are included in the 2.1 protocol but not the actual port. Important distinction to make and a big part of why there is no reason to wait.
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/09/10/xbox-one-x-confirmed-for-hdmi-2-1-certification/

Just going off that article and some vids I've seen. Big reason to wait is that 2.1 will be big on VRR. True that systems will have to support it but that's what's good about 2.1 TVs is that they are more future proofed than any TV you buy today. PS5 and newer systems are likely to support it. I am really thinking about getting the LG55B7A but it does not have 2.1.

A lot of 4K discs have Dolby Vision. Unfortunately, the Xbox One X still doesn’t support it. Hope it does eventually.

As another poster said, the TVs built-in apps like Netflix and Vudu have Dolby Vision. Nearly every new UHD release has DV on Vudu. And a lot of Netflix’s original content that is 4K does too.

Personally, I think a TV that has DV is more future proof than those without it. And currently it’s mostly only OLED TVs that have it, which is another reason the TCLs are a steal.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/09/10/xbox-one-x-confirmed-for-hdmi-2-1-certification/

Just going off that article and some vids I've seen. Big reason to wait is that 2.1 will be big on VRR. True that systems will have to support it but that's what's good about 2.1 TVs is that they are more future proofed than any TV you buy today. PS5 and newer systems are likely to support it. I am really thinking about getting the LG55B7A but it does not have 2.1.
HDMI 2.1 certification is a misnomer, it just means it supports certain parts of the protocol. Yamaha released a receiver with 2.1 HDMI certification and it's actually just a 2.0 HDMI port that supports a few things.

Nothing has been confirmed to have a 2.1 port yet as far as I'm aware. Even the flagship models that have come out this year don't have it so it's fine if you want to wait but it may be quite a while still. I believe that the first units aren't scheduled until Q3 2018 for production which would mean nothing is going to actually launch until calendar 2019.

I have the P605 and can confirm that it absolutely supports 4K streaming on Netflix including Dolby Vision.
Thanks I'm very interested.

I think the 2.1 HDMI will benefit gaming more since TV and movies are just barely scratching the surface on 4K content.

HDMI 2.1 certification is a misnomer, it just means it supports certain parts of the protocol. Yamaha released a receiver with 2.1 HDMI certification and it's actually just a 2.0 HDMI port that supports a few things.

Nothing has been confirmed to have a 2.1 port yet as far as I'm aware. Even the flagship models that have come out this year don't have it so it's fine if you want to wait but it may be quite a while still. I believe that the first units aren't scheduled until Q3 2018 for production which would mean nothing is going to actually launch until calendar 2019.
2019 is only 7 months away. Let's say they don't realize any HDMI 2.1 TV's until Spring. That's still less than a year away. Even if they don't release for a year, that's not too long to wait. If your TV broke and you need one RIGHT NOW then yes, this TCL is very attractive for the price. For people that can wait however, it might be a better idea to do so.

bread's done
Back