* - - - - 1 votes

$500 TCL P Series This Saturday

#1 hauz20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   661 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:54 PM

Apologies, all, as this isn't a game deal, but the non-game deals section looks pretty dead, and I always see people asking about this TV in the BB ad topics. So then:

Best Buy blows out TCL's excellent 2017 Roku TV for $500 - CNET
https://www.cnet.com...oku-tv-for-500/

#2 duran603   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   146 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

I've had this TV for almost a year.  Absolutely love it.

#3 Flo25  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:04 PM

HurrjOo.gif

#4 DarthPwner  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:04 PM

It's all good. I check there all the time, but this seems like a good deal that anyone could take advantage of.

#5 Cagg  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:15 PM

Game mode? Any input lag?

#6 hauz20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   661 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

Game mode? Any input lag?

According to the cnet review: Yes and only 16ms

#7 rdigit   Banned Banned   655 Posts   Joined 1.2 Years Ago  

rdigit

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:26 PM

So, buy it now and price match Sunday?

#8 hauz20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   661 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:28 PM

So, buy it now and price match Sunday?

Going off the link, it's a one-say sale this Saturday.

#9 blackwaltz34   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1297 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

blackwaltz34

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:33 PM

I've had this TV for almost a year. Absolutely love it.

Same here

#10 AxleHead   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

AxleHead

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:37 PM

Great TV, but if you can spare the extra $100 I'd go with the new TCL 6 series. More dimming zones and improved color gamut. Either way these TCL's are amazing for their price range.

#11 redonkalous  

redonkalous

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:41 PM

Very nice. I heard there’s a new series coming. If I didn’t spend money on a big ticket item recently I would’ve tried to price match this at a military store so it would be no tax, if they have the item in stock of course.

#12 Shimrra   Alone on Vita island CAGiversary!   2831 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:41 PM

Damn, I might jump on this deal. I am curious to know how good is it for gaming. 

#13 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8148 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

Love my P605 and highly recommend it. Though I probably also would spend the extra $100 for the new model if you can afford it.

#14 GaveUpTomorrow   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1784 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

GaveUpTomorrow

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:13 PM

This is a great price for a great TV. However, I definitely recommend getting the 6-series television for an extra $100, or waiting until the P-series drops down further. The 6-series model just released May 1st. I had mine delivered last week and it is incredible. The 6-series model has more dimming zones, improved colors, has better viewing angles, gets about 100-150nits brighter than the P-Series, and looks a heck of a lot better (full metal framing).  Input lag is about identical (within 1-2ms).

The reason that Best Buy is putting the P-Series on sale is because it is the same price as the new model, and the new model is superior in every way.

Either way, these are both great televisions for the cost!

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6204548

#15 starscream615   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   528 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

starscream615

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

This is a great price for a great TV. However, I definitely recommend getting the 6-series television for an extra $100, or waiting until the P-series drops down further. The 6-series model just released May 1st. I had mine delivered last week and it is incredible. The 6-series model has more dimming zones, improved colors, has better viewing angles, gets about 100-150nits brighter than the P-Series, and looks a heck of a lot better (full metal framing).  Input lag is about identical (within 1-2ms).

The reason that Best Buy is putting the P-Series on sale is because it is the same price as the new model, and the new model is superior in every way.

Either way, these are both great televisions for the cost!

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6204548

A bunch of reviews already knock the new model for having banding issues, with even one picture being posted.

#16 Donut2922   Read the OP! CAGiversary!   10032 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:36 PM

A lot of 4K TV's have settled down to this price range now. So do you guys think this is the best value TV out there?

I remember in 2016 cags were following the Samsung KS series.

#17 CamperinaBush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   668 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

CamperinaBush

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:10 AM

Reading reviews on the new 6 series, a lot of people are reporting vertical band issues. I might go back to the P series at $500.

#18 jdawgg76   RIP Stan the Man CAGiversary!   4753 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:17 AM

A bunch of reviews already knock the new model for having banding issues, with even one picture being posted.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6 series so I'd love to see the reviews you speak of.  Got some links or site names?  I've only seen Tom's guide and cnet's reviews and they didn't throw up a big red flag for anything.

A lot of 4K TV's have settled down to this price range now. So do you guys think this is the best value TV out there?

A lot of lesser 4K TVs.  The TCL hits above its weight class in cost as it is more comparable to TVs that cost 200 to 400 dollars more than it does.  I'm guessing they decided to keep a constant low price without running sales while the others have more brand name and higher costs, but also would have sales.

To answer your question, last year and from what I've seen this year most reviewers used those exact words:  best value for a TV.  Check it out at rtings.com cnet tom's guide, etc.

#19 CamperinaBush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   668 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

CamperinaBush

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:43 AM

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6 series so I'd love to see the reviews you speak of. Got some links or site names? I've only seen Tom's guide and cnet's reviews and they didn't throw up a big red flag for anything.

Check out the Best Buy reviews. More and more users are reporting this issue.

#20 yasqueen80  

yasqueen80

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:52 AM

This is so tempting but I'm supposed to be cutting costs, not spending a shit ton of money. This will also make me want to buy a Pro.

#21 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36694 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:01 AM

This is so tempting but I'm supposed to be cutting costs, not spending a shit ton of money. This will also make me want to buy a Pro.

Why not both?

#22 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5334 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:36 AM

Hmm...now if only I had $500 for this T.V., $500  for a PS4 Pro, and $500 for a XB1 X.  :-(

#23 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11475 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:59 AM

Seems to go away with further use at least I can report with the budget of this years TV. I would assume the same with higher end ones.

Either way you can always order and exchange (of course that's a pain) I'd imagine they will fix this isssue after the first run of units.

My friend LOVES the new version. He is blown away by the newer version. He ended up returning last years model and said the HDR is *MUCH MUCH* better this year around. 

I would save the $100 and get the newer models. 

Either way TCL is the way to go in terms of budget TVs. You get TRUE HDR 10 and Dolby Vision and great colors. Check out the reviews online.

#24 jdawgg76   RIP Stan the Man CAGiversary!   4753 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:11 AM

Check out the Best Buy reviews. More and more users are reporting this issue.

Thanks, forgot about user reviews.  I looked at them early on, but it's been several days.

#25 chaosbob86   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   202 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:27 AM

I spent $1000 on the ks8000 55 inch. The 1000 nit is amazing, i literally have to squint my eyes when the screen goes all white for whatever game/show. A little disappointed with the corner lit part though. Like a loading screen thats suppose to be all black with a little loading icon in the corner...the whole corner (and sometimes the whole side)is bright. Kind of a turn off but not buying a new 4k at least for another year or 2. Hopefully they settle on 1 type of HDR for everything by then

#26 AxleHead   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

AxleHead

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:52 AM

Vertical Banding is common in all TVs more so in OLED strangely. Some cases are more severe than others and in those cases all you need to do is exchange it. It should also be noted than some banding will actually slowly disappear or become less noticeable the longer the TV is used. I have the 6 series in both sizes and both blow my Vizio and 2 year old Sony away in terms of picture quality and uniformity.

#27 chrislisting   CAGiversary! Banned   1557 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

chrislisting

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:06 AM

I always thought TCL made a good product....thanks OP.....(still, wrong section)

#28 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11475 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:15 AM

Vertical Banding is common in all TVs more so in OLED strangely. Some cases are more severe than others and in those cases all you need to do is exchange it. It should also be noted than some banding will actually slowly disappear or become less noticeable the longer the TV is used. I have the 6 series in both sizes and both blow my Vizio and 2 year old Sony away in terms of picture quality and uniformity.

Thank you.

#29 SLAVEDOG   Maverick CAGiversary!   234 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:27 AM

I owned a Samsung plasma for many years and was looking to upgrade to OLED. I eventually decided to purchase the P series back in March as a stopgap and have been very happy with it. The first day I was feeling a little buyers remorse because of the upper corners being a little darker and slight banding when the screen is completely black, but now it is barely noticeable. This tv is totally worth it and can look amazing, just depends on the source.

#30 MaximusDM   What is a man!? CAGiversary!   363 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

I've had this TV for almost a year.  Absolutely love it.

Most TV's don't go within the first year. So I'd love any tv that hasn't died on me yet.

Most people don't love the tv anymore once it goes.