* * - - - 6 votes

Best Buy GCU is being Discontinued?

#691 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   204 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

Bottom line, they wouldn't eliminate something that was working for them. For all the people whining oh my God they're going to be sorry, missing all MY business..  No. No, they're clearly not.

not acknowledging that selling to more people at lower prices creates more profit than selling to less people at higher prices is just poor business sense

Except we've already seen this sort of pendulum swing, in the indie market. Devs found that the "mass sale" strategy on Steam, PSN etc. was not working, at all. Tons of games readily available at $3 made them nowhere near enough money in sales while also encouraging people like US (haha) to just wait until any damn title was available for $3. It doesn't work, and in the AAA physical segment, where it is already widely known that budgets are only ballooning further and further out of control, I highly doubt the pattern would be any different.

Besides - we're not talking about the actual pubs here, we're talking about BB as the middleman. They have to deal with the wholesale prices paid to the pubs and their (profit) numbers are not going to have the direct link to sale prices you're presupposing. I agree with an earlier response: they are most likely trying to reduce their footprint in the video game business entirely.

#692 tonyvx  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:45 PM

It's true.  But there are two sides to it.  People like to collect things they are interested in.  I'm sure you collect fishing lures, comic books, magic nose goblins, or something.  I think that Switch games for instance are very non-collectable due to their completely plain spines and tiny size for cover art.  But several companies like LRG are doing some cool things like full color instruction booklets, alternative art, steelbook or other packaging, and special extras.  I also don't think anyone collects in order to display the plastic cases. 

Personally, I collect because I want to immortalize the games that I'm interested in.  Gaming is a huge part of my identity.  I like having access to a physical library and I also like owning my stuff.  I'm also an able internet seller for the occasions that something becomes extra valuable, so that I can use it to continue funding my hobby.  There is no value for me in paying for digital games.  Other "well I have a family and a job and don't have any time" people see things differently, and that's fine too. 

That totally makes sense. My mindset on it has been to compare it to other physical media vs digital. Vinyl vs mp3 for instance, I get way more with vinyl than buying an album digitally. It has way more value in that it's an entirely different experience. For the most part with video game companies cutting cost over time, almost certainly intentionally, what I get from a physical game versus digital in terms of the experience is identical.

I love me a good special edition, though. Too bad we won't be getting any discounts on those anymore. 

Also you're 100% right about Switch, that's my main gaming platform these days, and the cases are just so boring and ugly and pointless for such small cartridges. GCU (and potentially Prime) discounts coming to a close will likely push me the rest of the way over the digital edge.

#693 Backlog Hog  

Backlog Hog

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:04 PM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=dKSJN3WWR3E

#694 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3126 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:22 PM

The thing is hhgreg fail because they focus on appliances. I mean really, how often do any of us go shop for appliance

#695 Uncle Anwar   Lemurian Cult Leader CAGiversary!   562 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Uncle Anwar

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:03 AM

This will be a great lesson for some people that a store won’t change their policy or continue a program just because you complain about it on social media and say you won’t shop there anymore.

#696 MichaelGTdriver   ビーグル CAGiversary!   1361 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

MichaelGTdriver

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:07 AM

I've hit Elite Plus solely because of GCU. I've no other reason beyond August 2019 to go back to a Best Buy. TARGET is a mile from my house. Guess they see some business.

I refuse to shop at Gamestop and never buy anything virtual. Maybe this is a good thing in the long run. I can focus more on my Japanese classic stuff. Adios BB

#697 TheBigHouse   What Up Doe? CAGiversary!   593 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

TheBigHouse

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:19 AM

Bottom line, they wouldn't eliminate something that was working for them. For all the people whining oh my God they're going to be sorry, missing all MY business.. No. No, they're clearly not.

This. For all those predicting Best Buy’s demise or posting how much this is gonna hurt their business, I urge you to read their first quarter financial report being released on Thursday. Spoiler Alert: they’ll be fine without you.

#698 miyamotorola   I have mild to moderate eczema CAGiversary!   3552 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

miyamotorola

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:30 AM

Hey guys it's not that bad. If you want GCU for 4+ years all you have to do is fill out a registration application. Grand Canyon University.. A fine American institution.

#699 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3708 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:34 AM

The thing is hhgreg fail because they focus on appliances. I mean really, how often do any of us go shop for appliance

They sold electronics too, but you aren't wrong. It's difficult for a store of that size to focus on selling appliances and electronics when that market is dominated by places like Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards. Also, no one enjoys buying new appliances, no matter how many screens they throw on them!

#700 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3126 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:57 AM

I mean, in a sense, for games and movie you do not wait till they are broken to buy a new one.  For high electronic and appliances, the only time you buy them is usually when they broke, which can take anywhere between 5-15 years

#701 SacCityGamer   By Sacramento Gamers, for ALL Gamers CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

SacCityGamer

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:34 AM

just because they're not losing money now doesn't mean you should screw them. Just be happy they gave you deals in the past. I buy from whatever store is cheapest. I have no loyalty to one store over another, and I'm not going to hate a store just because they want to stop losses.

Who said I was doing it to screw them? The only reason I shopped there in the last few years was BECAUSE of GCU. Now that it's gone, I have no reason to even pay attention to Best Buy. I didn't buy much from them before GCU and I won't now. MAYBE I will at Black Friday or something, but otherwise, they never have good deals anyway. I'm not doing it to "screw them," though I am pissed at them for dropping this program, especially with no warning or replacement of any kind. When I said "screw them" I meant screw them for treating customers this way. They didn't even have the decency to send a letter or an email about it. They just quietly dropped it and only said anything because of the backlash. If this is how Best Buy wants to treat its customers, then as I said before, they can die a slow death. But I'm not "not" shopping there to hurt them. I'm not shopping there now because I no longer have a reason to. That's all. Besides, it's really none of your business how I shop or how I feel about companies. I respect your position on the matter, please do the same for me.  

#702 chelosera91   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1128 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

chelosera91

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:33 AM

Good thing I had a certificate expiring soon so I bought another 2 years. November 2020 baby!

#703 Stele   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   611 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:48 AM

These types of subscription-based discount programs rely on the model that the vast majority of people getting aggregate discounts that’s below the price of membership. It’s pretty much simple arithmetic and it just didn’t work. You people clearly weren’t picking up enough candy and full priced movies while you were checking out to display any kind of downstream impact.

#704 inky1600   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1564 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:46 AM

The people saying best buy is dying a slow death or in a death spiral...that is based on what exactly? When Hubert took over, best buy stock was what, 16 bucks a share? Now it's almost 80. By most measures they're killing it. Now you can make the reasonable case the market as a whole is overvalued but then so are their competitors.

I don't normally pay attention to this stuff and was just curious how people are coming to these conclusions. It doesn't seem to me they need loss leaders and gimmicks like GCU to "get people in the door" anymore based on their recent history financials.

I love GCU and am good into 2020 but the reality is we are no longer in a brutal recession, the economy is rolling, and one would expect that good deals from retailers(the ones that aren't already circling the drain from incurring too much debt during the recession) in general are gonna be in short supply for the foreseeable future. This is the time to tackle those backlogs I think

#705 Bobby's Beasting!   All Day! CAGiversary!   4633 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Bobby's Beasting!

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:56 AM

Has Cheapy D saved GCU yet?

#706 daring  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

if only cheapy could get his hand on the infinity gauntlet. he'll undo bestbuy's GCU change with a snap of his finger and will save all us CAG minions from the impending day1 starvation plague.

#707 miyamotorola   I have mild to moderate eczema CAGiversary!   3552 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

miyamotorola

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

I wonder if cheapy will be my friend now that gcu is gone.

#708 voormis   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   310 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

Man, this really stinks. First, BB closed the store that was relatively close to my house (25 minutes) so I had to start going to the next closest store which is over an hour away. Now this?

Oh well. It was a great service and I certainly got a lot out of it. I am surprised they are churning out profits given that they are beginning to get rid of so many departments - music, games, etc. I guess it helps that electronics are complete and total trash and they can sell you a new HDTV every other year.

As others have said, I have no reason to go there anymore. I am sure they will lose a lot of consumers but some number cruncher thinks the benefits outweigh the loss of game sales. It's bizarre to see how quickly things are going downhill for the consumer. Companies are now just blatantly instituting an anti-consumer focused mentality - raising membership fees, getting rid of memberships, and/or circle-jerking their customers to no end.

#709 PandaJohnson  

PandaJohnson

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:24 PM

Not sure it’s been clarified but I read a couple comment regarding preorders. So saying they will be cancelled, other saying of paid in full with gifts cards it should be fine.

http://forums.bestbu...re/td-p/1058854

Forum employee replied that orders on Best Buy online should retain GCU pricing after membership ends. Granted that reply was from last year, so things might have changed since.

#710 wratih9   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   195 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

So is anyone else still having problems with the site not showing the 20% off still?  My Membership is good through 2019 so that shouldn't be an issue.  I have a 10% off coupon for my Bday that ends on 5-31 so I was hoping to pick up Battle Chasers.  Sadly I cannot pick it up in store though or I would just run up there and get it.

#711 Davivascaino   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1575 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Davivascaino

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:50 PM

So is anyone else still having problems with the site not showing the 20% off still?  My Membership is good through 2019 so that shouldn't be an issue.  I have a 10% off coupon for my Bday that ends on 5-31 so I was hoping to pick up Battle Chasers.  Sadly I cannot pick it up in store though or I would just run up there and get it.

just tried, works fine with me

#712 wratih9   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   195 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

just tried, works fine with me

Does it show the discount before checkout like normal?  I wonder if it's simply not letting me double stack the discount and defaults to the B-day coupon.

Thanks

Edit:  Nevermind, that was the case.  I removed the B-day coupon and the other showed up.  I guess I'll have to use the coupon on something else.

#713 Davivascaino   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1575 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Davivascaino

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

Does it show the discount before checkout like normal?  I wonder if it's simply not letting me double stack the discount and defaults to the B-day coupon.

Thanks

yes, it shows the discount in the cart, before actually going to the checkout page

#714 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2197 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

GCU was originally $120 for 2 years and even then it was a steal. I probably buy around 50 or so new games annually, give or take, and absolutely saved hundreds of dollars a year by having GCU. The thing with video games though is that they don't have much of a profit margin to begin with, usually around $12-$15 which Best Buy was eating with GCU and that's with new releases at full MSRP. When a game goes on sale they are already taking a loss on it and an additional 20% off when a large bulk of your sales are to GCU members I can imagine they were just taking a bath on a lot of video game sales. 

Even after my GCU expires I will continue to buy games at Best Buy, but it won't be nearly as often and I definitely don't see myself spending thousands of dollars each year at Best Buy on video games. Gamestop is very close to my house so if I am going to buy a game without a discount I will do it there for the convenience and to get the 20% off I will stick with Amazon once GCU expires on me. 

The price changed from $120 to $60 to $30. I first hopped on board when it was $60. The change from $120 to $60 didn't surprise me but the $60 to $30 change did.

#715 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   13549 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

3-5 years ago I'd run around posting things like "physical is objectively better so I'll never go all digital" and now I'm 100% digital with my gaming. And maybe physical still is objectively better in some cases, but I just don't care anymore. About anything!

Same except I've had to break down on titles that have no physical release. Things like Salt and Sanctuary (which I 'think' got a physical release eventually?) were just too good to pass up but for the rest of game releases, I've stuck to physical 100%. For me it works fine because I stick to a game until I finish it and move on, but I can see why a lot of people would want it since disc swapping could start to suck.

#716 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   542 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

I’ve never worked retail so don’t kill me if my questions make no sense.

I’ve heard that book stores eventually send copies of books that didn’t sell back to the publisher and it costs them nothing. Wouldn’t video games be able to work under the same model, so that there’s no real loss to Best Buy (other then store space) if a game didn’t sell? Why do they have to keep slashing MSRP on games, books don’t do that.

Of course borders folded and B&N is basically a Starbucks now, so I guess that model doesn’t work so great in the amazon world either.

#717 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7332 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

As others have said, I have no reason to go there anymore. I am sure they will lose a lot of consumers but some number cruncher thinks the benefits outweigh the loss of game sales. It's bizarre to see how quickly things are going downhill for the consumer. Companies are now just blatantly instituting an anti-consumer focused mentality - raising membership fees, getting rid of memberships, and/or circle-jerking their customers to no end.

That's quite a knee-jerk reaction to them simply halting new memberships to an old program.  GCU is the best gaming deal in history.   By all accounts, the company is doing well too, so there should be a replacement program up and running in time.  There are three major players in the console industry all competing for our dollars, and there are a handful of retail giants that do the same thing.  Competition drives sales and consumer-friendly policies.  Video games have never been cheaper.  We have bundles and digital sales all the time.  There are insane black Friday discounts and amazon clearances.  New releases also haven't gone up from $60 retail price in a dozen years.  They should cost $76-85 by now just from inflation.  Games are cheap as hell now, and there's never been a better time to be a video game buying consumer. 

#718 RabbiHick  

RabbiHick

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

I’ve never worked retail so don’t kill me if my questions make no sense.
I’ve heard that book stores eventually send copies of books that didn’t sell back to the publisher and it costs them nothing. Wouldn’t video games be able to work under the same model, so that there’s no real loss to Best Buy (other then store space) if a game didn’t sell? Why do they have to keep slashing MSRP on games, books don’t do that.
Of course borders folded and B&N is basically a Starbucks now, so I guess that model doesn’t work so great in the amazon world either.

I'm not sure if it's the same for games, but when est buy announced they were discontinuing CD's this coming year, there was also speculation that Target was thinking the same, but were trying to rearrange their ordering first. As of then, they assumed inventory risk by ordering and paying for all physical CD's up front, but Target was trying to get it to where they would only pay upon actual sales numbers.

Not sure if anything came of it (we'll see if target discontinues CD's anytime soon), or if similar policies could be enacted for games.

#719 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3708 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:04 PM

That's quite a knee-jerk reaction to them simply halting new memberships to an old program.  GCU is the best gaming deal in history.   By all accounts, the company is doing well too, so there should be a replacement program up and running in time.  There are three major players in the console industry all competing for our dollars, and there are a handful of retail giants that do the same thing.  Competition drives sales and consumer-friendly policies.  Video games have never been cheaper.  We have bundles and digital sales all the time.  There are insane black Friday discounts and amazon clearances.  New releases also haven't gone up from $60 retail price in a dozen years.  They should cost $76-85 by now just from inflation.  Games are cheap as hell now, and there's never been a better time to be a video game buying consumer. 

Well said. I don't know if Best Buy will bother revisiting GCU anytime soon though, if that were their plan then I would imagine they would just raise the price of GCU, which I personally don't think should have ever gotten to $30 price it was at. 

I for one will continue to shop at Best Buy. My GCU is up on November 11th  and I will continue to use it until then but after it expires I will just get my new day one release games from Amazon or Gamestop. I will still buy games at Best Buy during sales and when I have Reward Zone points to burn. 

#720 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3708 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:11 PM

I'm not sure if it's the same for games, but when est buy announced they were discontinuing CD's this coming year, there was also speculation that Target was thinking the same, but were trying to rearrange their ordering first. As of then, they assumed inventory risk by ordering and paying for all physical CD's up front, but Target was trying to get it to where they would only pay upon actual sales numbers.

Not sure if anything came of it (we'll see if target discontinues CD's anytime soon), or if similar policies could be enacted for games.

My Dad loves buying CDs and complains about how Best Buy is doing away with them all the time. Music CDs are long dead and a lot of newer cars don't even have CD players in them. Anyone buying physical music nowadays is buying vinyl, but for the most part, a lot of us are using services like Spotify or Amazon Music Unlimited. Outside of vinyl as well CDs have never held much value outside collectors. When I worked for a store called Disc Replay we did away with CDs when I worked there and before we did we couldn't even give them away when we were selling most of them for $2-$3 each if not less. 

Video games are in a much different situation. While digital sales are increasing everyday, physical sales aren't bad and I believe most people still buy physical over digital. Video games also hold a much higher resell value for a longer period of time and are more collectible than CDs. 

Eventually, one day, we will probably see physical video game sales end and everything will be digital, but I don't think that day is anytime soon. It'll take the console manufacturers to release consoles without disc drives to really kill off physical video games.