* - - - - 20 votes

BestBuy Enforcing Removal of GCU If You Go Past 3 Game Limit

#181 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2576 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:58 AM

That may depend... If BB has it in the ToS that they can in fact cancel the warranties for any reason... 

Really the warranty part may be the only real issue with this whole ordeal, but I can see them being able to cancel it though. 

I found in the ToS on canceling a GCU/Rewards account that they in fact can wipe ALL rewards points... 

Possible they have the same/similar writing in the geek squad warranty fine print. I don't do extended warranties very often, and have never purchased any warranty from BB.

#182 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2576 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:59 AM

what did you get?

I bought my 4K TV there, and my monitor i'm looking at while typing this. Just off the top of my head.

#183 nddave   CAG4LIFE CAGiversary!   1065 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:02 AM

I bought my 4K TV there, and my monitor i'm looking at while typing this. Just off the top of my head.

You went in to pick your game up and bought a FULL priced 4K TV  and FULL Price monitor?

#184 Uncle Anwar   Lemurian Cult Leader CAGiversary!   562 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Uncle Anwar

Watch out backlash, you’re going to get a bunch of pm’s from lames asking you to represent them in their class action against best buy. You might get a few gs reward certificates out of it, but you would probably have to drive them to court.

#185 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1945 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

what did you get?

Some cables, headphones, an appliance or two. Not often but it happens.

#186 nddave   CAG4LIFE CAGiversary!   1065 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:04 AM

Some cables, headphones, an appliance or two. Not often but it happens.

You paid FULL price for Cables? Full price for headphones and appliance?

#187 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1945 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:05 AM

You paid FULL price for Cables? Full price for headphones and appliance?

Well GCU doesn't discount them so...

#188 nddave   CAG4LIFE CAGiversary!   1065 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:06 AM

Well GCU doesn't discount them so...

So the store dont have like other sales or anything?

#189 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1945 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:09 AM

So the store dont have like other sales or anything?

Oh, I'm sure they have sales on other things. Best Buy has more things to sell than games, after all.

But they weren't on sale, no.

#190 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2576 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:10 AM

You went in to pick your game up and bought a FULL priced 4K TV  and FULL Price monitor?

Nope, I went in there to get my cheap game, and paid them extra for the monitor!

WTF does this have to do with anything? 

Trying to say my GCU membership got me to buy more stuff from BB? no... I decided to pickup a monitor or TV in store rather than ship it.

And it was on sale, so there's your loophole so you can say "gotcha" or whatever.

But as abbabaab mentioned, cables etc... oh definitely have purchased stuff like that when grabbing a discounted game. And yes, when I do buy something else at BB, I almost always walk past the game isle.. maybe something I didnt see online or some used game i'd grab with the GCU discount.

in the end, 98% of my purchases at BB are GCU discounted games, I have purchased other stuff... but thats rare due to being able to beat BB's price online or elsewhere.

#191 nddave   CAG4LIFE CAGiversary!   1065 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:14 AM

Oh, I'm sure they have sales on other things. Best Buy has more things to sell than games, after all.

But they weren't on sale, no.

OKAY wow you paid FULL price for cables, FULL price for headphones, and FULL price for appliances. Shop around you could save some money like you did on your GCU games.

#192 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1945 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:18 AM

Shop around you could save some money like you did on your GCU games.

I did. They were cheaper than most other places.

#193 nddave   CAG4LIFE CAGiversary!   1065 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:18 AM

Nope, I went in there to get my cheap game, and paid them extra for the monitor!

WTF does this have to do with anything? 

Trying to say my GCU membership got me to buy more stuff from BB? no... I decided to pickup a monitor or TV in store rather than ship it.

And it was on sale, so there's your loophole so you can say "gotcha" or whatever.

But as abbabaab mentioned, cables etc... oh definitely have purchased stuff like that when grabbing a discounted game. And yes, when I do buy something else at BB, I almost always walk past the game isle.. maybe something I didnt see online or some used game i'd grab with the GCU discount.

in the end, 98% of my purchases at BB are GCU discounted games, I have purchased other stuff... but thats rare due to being able to beat BB's price online or elsewhere.

If you go back to the previous page the point was that you buy a discount game to pay FULL price for other items. YOU voluntarily posted to say you did. Now you admitted you do not pay full price for the other items when you buy your discounted game. Please dont get mad at me.

#194 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2576 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:23 AM

OKAY wow you paid FULL price for cables, FULL price for headphones, and FULL price for appliances. Shop around you could save some money like you did on your GCU games.

yes cause Amazon can get me the stupid cable i need, in about 5 minutes... 

Or the TV for the SAME PRICE as BB, in 2+ days. Delivered by UPS/FedEx/Ontrac (USPS tends to not get the big box purchases from Amazon) and have it sit outside in the  Fuck rain all day so the neighborhood kids can steal it. Or force UPS/FedEx to deliver it to the UPS store across the street from BB... or the FedEx place 5 miles from BB. An OnTrace... well they are russian idiots that can't even deliver to the correct address around here.

$5 for a cable and have it now when I need it. or $2 from Amazon with free shipping and get it later... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 

#195 OldSlowGamer   Old Slow Gamer CAGiversary!   505 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

OldSlowGamer

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:24 AM

Well I’d go use your points if you have any saved up now who knows if today is just the first day of cancelling stuff

This! I have only bought 1 copy of each game over the last year but I had $50 in RC banked.  I cashed it into XBL credit using the download digital code option.  I do not expect a ban but I am not taking any chances.  I do have a TV warranty with 16 months left that I would fight tooth and nail over if I somehow got banned.  At this point I am not counting on GCU being available for the Fall releases even though my subscription doesn't run out until Feb 2019.

#196 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2576 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:25 AM

If you go back to the previous page the point was that you buy a discount game to pay FULL price for other items. YOU voluntarily posted to say you did. Now you admitted you do not pay full price for the other items when you buy your discounted game. Please dont get mad at me.

you are reaching.

Full price does NOT always equal MSRP.

DISCOUNT from a MEMBERSHIP I belong to, vs DISCOUNT (sale price) EVERYONE WALKING IN THE DOOR GETS.

#197 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   4999 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:27 AM

Remember when this site had video game deals ... Pepperidge Farm remembers.

#198 Uncle Anwar   Lemurian Cult Leader CAGiversary!   562 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Uncle Anwar

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:28 AM

It’s getting serious - people are using caps lock now...

#199 nddave   CAG4LIFE CAGiversary!   1065 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:29 AM

yes cause Amazon can get me the stupid cable i need, in about 5 minutes... 

Or the TV for the SAME PRICE as BB, in 2+ days. Delivered by UPS/FedEx/Ontrac (USPS tends to not get the big box purchases from Amazon) and have it sit outside in the  Fuck rain all day so the neighborhood kids can steal it. Or force UPS/FedEx to deliver it to the UPS store across the street from BB... or the FedEx place 5 miles from BB. An OnTrace... well they are russian idiots that can't even deliver to the correct address around here.

$5 for a cable and have it now when I need it. or $2 from Amazon with free shipping and get it later... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 

There is more places than Amazon that sell cables and tvs. We are all CAGs and find the best deal for us and our situation.

#200 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2576 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:38 AM

There is more places than Amazon that sell cables and tvs. We are all CAGs and find the best deal for us and our situation.

Yeah, there's a place 22 miles from me that will beat BB's price. Add in the gas cost and time for the round trip.....
And cables etc, may beat the price online, but shipping kills the deal most times. Locally, nope. Radio Shack is gone, Circuit City is gone, Future Shop is gone. Office Depot and Staples are a joke. Mom and Pop places are never competitive for what I need.

I don't live in a huge city, I live on purpose way the  Fuck away from others. 

And again, if I need something NOW.. Online is the very last resort. Hate BB, but if they have what I need...

This thread :roll: ........ Yep it's time to choose. 

Spoiler

#201 wakkawakka   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   441 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

wakkawakka

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:31 AM

Is this just for pre ordering 3 copies of the same game or pre orders towards any 3 games in general?

#202 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1945 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:38 AM

Well, looks like Thebacklash just ruined my fun, so now for a more serious answer:

If you go back to the previous page the point was that you buy a discount game to pay FULL price for other items.

No, the point was that you failed to understand how Best Buy would offer to sell games with GCU at cost (that's the important part you missed: they're not making any profit on a game sold with the GCU discount) to get people to also shop their store or website (either one counts) for other items that Best Buy would have a larger profit margin on, whether those other items were on sale or not. You know that "People also bought" section at the bottom of every item page on their site? That's what they're there for: to try to get you to buy more things and increase their overall profits. But obviously they don't want to open the doors for people to buy them en masse, since they wouldn't be making money on any of those, so they add purchase limits to spread the love around.

See, that's the problem with your little "100 for one person vs. 1 each for 100 people" trick from earlier: one person's foot traffic is not the same as that of 100 people. The whole point here, after all, is to get people's attention so they buy more, and you are obviously more likely to hook someone when you have 100 people visiting than you are with just a single person. Not to mention, one person buying 100 copies doesn't mean those 99 other people aren't also going to try to buy any. Again, all without any profit.

It's called a loss leader, and it's really something you should understand if you're going to be discussing GCU:

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Loss_leader

Then again, at this point I'm reasonably sure that you're only here to troll, so w/e.

#203 Master Miguel   Tired CAGiversary!   1332 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Master Miguel

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:39 AM

Hopes not a good way to run a business. Best Buy is not Depleting stock that is a sad excuse for item limits. So now Best Buy is worried about who they sell it to (flippers) So if you ship it to 1 person 100 copies ( which dont happen) or 100 people whats the difference they are all being shipped nobody is in the store.

You are wrong.  You think walmart added groceries to their stores because of the insane profit it brings in?  They hope that while you're picking up milk or snacks for your kids you'll go grab diapers and an outfit or make a trip through the clothes or toys aisles while they've got you in their store.  They make you wait 45 mins for a prescription at their pharmacy (that literally takes 10 mins at most to fill if its really busy) because they hope you'll buy some clothes or electronics while you wait.  Why do you think most every store has pop and candy and little kids things around the registers?  Because they hope while you're waiting in line your kids will beg for something, you'll be slightly hungry and grab a snack, you'll read a snippet of a magazine and decide to buy it, etc.  

People on this website are not the norm.  Most people rarely shop around and if they do not much.  GCU would bring people into the store/website, it would earn them points that they would then use on other items in the store, it would garner loyalty and make people shop there more as a result.  They hope that every little trick they use will get people into the store buying other things.  Businesses don't put things on sale just out of the goodness of their hearts, despite what you want to believe.  They likely ran some profit analysis, saw GCU had outlasted its use, and phased it out.

#204 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6671 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:48 AM

Just to add something to nddave's amazingly "flawless" business logic. To use GCU we had to pay on average $30 per person every 2 years. A drop in the bucket, but a drop adds up. 1 person buying 100 games is basically 30 cents a game ($30/100) Where as 100 people buying 100 copies is another $3,000 in BBY's pocket helping mitigate some of the loss. Of course everything else said about loss leaders and foot traffic in the, please forgive me language here, HOPE of having people spend money is 100% accurate, I just figured I'd bring up that other tidbit.

#205 Bumslie   Have you ever seen the Boognish? CAGiversary!   5777 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:53 AM

This is the saltiest thread on CAG I've seen in years. Going to buy some stock in Kleenex as the tears have been flowing all day.

#206 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1945 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:54 AM

Is this just for pre ordering 3 copies of the same game or pre orders towards any 3 games in general?

4 copies, same game, same console = ban.

3 each is the limit.

#207 mitch079   Mumm-Ra shares with no one! CAGiversary!   12732 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:58 AM

Right, you abuse GCU, they can terminate your usage of it. Not my complaint in this cluster of a thread. Where does it say they can do the rest the OP said they did? Hint: NOWHERE, based off this piece of the ToS.

Read the fine print
https://www.bestbuy....tions/anonymous

Gaming Total Assurance
M. Cancellation. There are no fees to cancel this Plan. This Plan will be cancelled by us for fraud, material misrepresentation, unsafe work environment/conditions as determined by us or nonpayment of the monthly Plan fee if you have purchased a monthly bill Plan.

https://www.bestbuy....cat311100050001

Resellers

Resellers are excluded from the program and from receiving points. If we mistakenly issue points for resale purchases, we reserve the right to deduct those improperly awarded points and/or to invalidate improperly issued reward certificates as well as to terminate such accounts.

If you are found, in our sole discretion, to be a reseller, your account may be terminated in accordance with Section 7 below.

Membership Cancellation
You may cancel your membership in the Program at any time by e-mail or phone (1-888-BEST BUY).

If your membership is canceled (either by you or by Best Buy), you will forfeit any remaining points.

If your account has a negative points balance, we may immediately cancel or reverse any or all outstanding points as well as issued reward certificates.

We may not issue you any reward certificate(s) if we terminate your account because of conduct that we determine, in our discretion, violates these Terms or any applicable law, involves fraud or misuse of Program membership, or is harmful to our interests or another customer. We also reserve the right to deny future membership if we deem your conduct to violate these Terms.

Our failure to insist upon or enforce your strict compliance with these Terms will not constitute a waiver of any of our rights.

#208 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2576 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:06 AM

Just to add to the issue... lol

https://storage.best...CarePlanTOS.pdf

M. Cancellation.

There are no fees to cancel this Plan. This Plan will be cancelled by us for fraud, material misrepresentation, unsafe work environment/conditions or nonpayment of the monthly Plan fee if you have purchased a monthly bill Plan. In the event of cancellation by us, written notice of cancellation will be mailed to you not less than sixty (60) days before cancellation is effective. If we cancel this Plan, you will receive a pro-rata refund of the price you paid for the Plan based on the percentage of the Plan’s unexpired term, less the cost of any service provided.

I'm back to the "oversight that will be corrected" stance.

The memberships were cancelled for violating the GCU ToS, the warranty etc tied to the account... were probably an accidental casualty from the cancelation.

Some poor BB corporate guy is going to have a huge headache monday morning... And the warranty "problem" will be fixed.

#209 SacCityGamer   By Sacramento Gamers, for ALL Gamers CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

SacCityGamer

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:56 AM

Man, Best Buy is really trying to lose money with all of this. 

#210 DaShaka   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1950 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

I DON’T KNOW WHAT WE’RE YELLING ABOUT