(YMMV) Best Buy Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE 15.99

MyMilkMoney

CAG Newbie
Hey guys so I went to BB tonight to pick up horizon zero dawn CE. I saw Tokyo Mirage on clearance for 15.99. Tried to get GCU discount but they couldn't do it, saying some bs, "we can't do GCU on clearance items." Still picked it up, saved a few bucks vs online with GCU.

Hey guys so I went to BB tonight to pick up horizon zero dawn CE. I saw Tokyo Mirage on clearance for 15.99. Tried to get GCU discount but they couldn't do it, saying some bs, "we can't do GCU on clearance items." Still picked it up, saved a few bucks vs online with GCU.
A very cool game. Unlikely to ever show up on switch, given its horrendous reception in Japan .

I noticed now they say GCU doesn't work on clearance. I complained at the register when I got a clearance game last week and they did it manually.
I love how the rules keep changing now that the program is over. I always used it on clearance

A very cool game. Unlikely to ever show up on switch, given its horrendous reception in Japan .
Remasters are a quick and easy way to recoup some losses which I imagined happened with Tokyo Mirage Sessions and it's development. This has already happened to a bunch of games that sold poorly: Cel Damage, Legend of Kay, and Okami comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others... I wouldn't be surprised if they ported TMS in a couple of years during a slow innovation cycle or something.

Remasters are a quick and easy way to recoup some losses which I imagined happened with Tokyo Mirage Sessions and it's development. This has already happened to a bunch of games that sold poorly: Cel Damage, Legend of Kay, and Okami comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others... I wouldn't be surprised if they ported TMS in a couple of years during a slow innovation cycle or something.
Maybe. From what I've listened to on Giantbomb, Player One, and DLC, the problem with TMS is notsomuch that it sold poorly, it's that the game sold poorly even among JRPG fans. The game may been well received critically, but the core genre Atlus audience disliked it. The game bombed in its native Japan, and honestly, probably was even published outside the country out of desperation. Not sure TMS would even be on the list of games Nintendo has any interest in publishing again.

And on that point, this game, unlike Nintendo's own studio games, was developed by Atlus. It's of the ilk of Other M (Team Ninja) or F-Zero GX (Sega) or Star Fox Assault (Namco). Those games usually don't get remastered, though we do have Hyrule Warriors ported (Omega Force).

Last factor is the gameplay. TMS did use the gamepad in some interesting ways. It also used it far more IMHO than Lego Undercover so I'm unsure how interested Nintendo is in fixing all of that. This would not be a simple remaster like DK or Hyrule Warriors of MK8. Nintendo/Atlus would have to invest some substantial resources to fix the gameplay.

Impossible? Of course not. Likely? Hmmm... I don't think so. Among gaming critics, TMS is frequently on the shortlist of titles that will probably stay stranded on the Wii U.

That's why I mentioned Okami as that was Capcom but developed by clover(now platinum games), as that's in a similar situation. Controls shouldn't be an issue as they can make adjustments. Square-Enix is bringing The World Ends with You to the Switch for example.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a remaster is happening, all I said was that I wouldn't be surprised if it happened as a blatant attempt to recoup cost. If there's a real reason why this will never see the light of day, it'll probably because it's a cross-over title (licensing issues, ect). 

This game didn't sell poorly because of JRPG player interest. WiiU user base is tiny, to expect a niche genre to thrive there, an unreasonable ratio of owners would have had to buy this game (ie: doomed to fail). The Switch install base is a completely different situation (ie: small percentage of players would still be a success).

As for other rpg ports on failed consoles to mainstream: Grandia 2 and Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast and moved to the PS2 and Gamecube respectively). 

I still say the chances are better then unlikely, but I wouldn't hold my breath (and if it did happen, it would be a port, and possibly different in lieu of control changes).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I mentioned Okami as that was Capcom but developed by clover(now platinum games), as that's in a similar situation. Controls shouldn't be an issue as they can make adjustments. Square-Enix is bringing The World Ends with You to the Switch for example.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a remaster is happening, all I said was that I wouldn't be surprised if it happened as a blatant attempt to recoup cost. If there's a real reason why this will never see the light of day, it'll probably because it's a cross-over title (licensing issues, ect).

This game didn't sell poorly because of JRPG player interest. WiiU user base is tiny, to expect a niche genre to thrive there, an unreasonable ratio of owners would have had to buy this game (ie: doomed to fail). The Switch install base is a completely different situation (ie: small percentage of players would still be a success).

As for other rpg ports on failed consoles to mainstream: Grandia 2 and Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast and moved to the PS2 and Gamecube respectively).

I still say the chances are better then unlikely, but I wouldn't hold my breath (and if it did happen, it would be a port, and possibly different in lieu of control changes).
Would love to see more people get a chance to play TMS, but yeah, you're right about the licensing issue being another big problem.

At least Atlus is at work on many other games for the PS4/Switch. Prefer new games to ports and remasters any day!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Japanese sales were fine for a niche game. It sold better than all the Vita Neptunia titles released that same year. There was even a live concert the day after the game came out. The various groups all made their money back. https://www.famitsu.com/news/201605/24106511.html . Certain western gamers concerned with "ethics in gaming journalism" latched on to some localization changes and promoted the narrative it was a failure.

The game was the 18th and 20th best selling Wii U game in Japan for 2015 and 2016 for the 51,970 sales recorded as of 2016 (most sources cite the first week Media Create sales data and not the total sales as of the end of 2016.)

Anyways I came here to post that the game shows up as $19.99 on clearance with GCU on the website.

TMS was such a great game too. So batshit crazy that you couldn't help but love it. Battles were quite fun as well.

I noticed now they say GCU doesn't work on clearance. I complained at the register when I got a clearance game last week and they did it manually.
I love how the rules keep changing now that the program is over. I always used it on clearance
You agreed to the TOS when you joined, nothing crazy here

You agreed to the TOS when you joined, nothing crazy here
Did you actually read TOS before you said it? The TOS has said nothing about clearance.

I am very sure it works on clearance game, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition is on clearance on bestbuy.com, and it takes off 20% when I add it to the cart.

Might be some store manager marked down clearance? The TMS is $25 (clearance) on web, not $16. It takes off 20% when I add it to the cart also.

bread's done
Back