* * * * - 7 votes

Nintendo eShop Deals - 1/20: Nicalis Sale! $3 Mutant Mudds Collection, $2 Soccer Slammers/Xeodrifter, $1 Totes the Goat, & More!

#2281 CamperinaBush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   804 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

CamperinaBush

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

Tempted to get Super Mario U Deluxe today since I never owned a Wii U. Anyone else getting it?

#2282 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   1451 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

Tempted to get Super Mario U Deluxe today since I never owned a Wii U. Anyone else getting it?

Also facing that temptation brother!

#2283 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   942 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:21 PM

I decided to wait because I haven't played through donkey Kong country tropical freeze thay I bought on Black Friday. Delaying the purchase while I work on my backlog

#2284 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   1451 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:56 PM

I decided to wait because I haven't played through donkey Kong country tropical freeze thay I bought on Black Friday. Delaying the purchase while I work on my backlog

Lol okay smart guy playing his backlog. Kidding. I also got donkey Kong and I don’t like it. It probably feels how it should but to me it’s slow and cumbersome to attack or get through levels. Probably doing a redo with it.

#2285 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   942 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

Lol okay smart guy playing his backlog. Kidding. I also got donkey Kong and I don’t like it. It probably feels how it should but to me it’s slow and cumbersome to attack or get through levels. Probably doing a redo with it.

I agree. It is clunky, but the level themes are great. Going to go through it as it's not a very long game

#2286 An Orange Cat   Pet My Fur CAGiversary!   1135 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

An Orange Cat

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

Hell yes! It was one of my favorite Wii U games. UPS can't come soon enough. I never played the Luigi version, so I'm pretty excited for that. It took me 24 hours to 100% the Mario version according to my Wii U stats, so there's a good amount of value to me at least.

#2287 SpideyVille  

SpideyVille

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago because I had some e-shop credit that I figured I could use since there aren't many other games on my radar until Yoshi in March. The bonus 300 Gold coins for pre-ordering also influenced me lol

#2288 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6793 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:04 PM

I agree. It is clunky, but the level themes are great. Going to go through it as it's not a very long game

WOW, I thought it was just me when thinking the controls where off a bit. But as stated, the levels are great as is the game, but due to the controls, I never played the Wii U version past the first area. Maybe if my son ever gets it for his NS, I'll give it another go, or I could return to the Wii U version as well.

#2289 eliter1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2945 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

Newegg has $60 eShop for $50. Just add the $50 to your cart and then $10 will be added with a $10 discount. Limit 2. Expect to wait a few hours to get the codes.

For comparison this is 16.67% off, which is better than the PayPal deals of 10-15% off.

OOS :(

#2290 CamperinaBush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   804 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

CamperinaBush

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

Hell yes! It was one of my favorite Wii U games. UPS can't come soon enough. I never played the Luigi version, so I'm pretty excited for that. It took me 24 hours to 100% the Mario version according to my Wii U stats, so there's a good amount of value to me at least.

Did you play co-op? Looking to see if this is something my wife and I can play together that involves the second player more than Odyssey. Right now we really just have Mario Kart.

#2291 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   942 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:36 PM

Something about price matching Dell for mk8 deluxe on reddit. Guy paid $20 for it.

#2292 squishface   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2080 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

squishface

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

I preordered it from best buy before my gcu expired. I never got a chance to play Luigi .

#2293 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Four Roses Single Barrel CAGiversary!   2322 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:25 PM

I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago because I had some e-shop credit that I figured I could use since there aren't many other games on my radar until Yoshi in March. The bonus 300 Gold coins for pre-ordering also influenced me lol

I did the same, i had credit i got at 20% off and the $6 back (600 coins) made me just go digital.

And then bought a 512gb sd card that i installed yesterday.... copy route didnt work this time so just said screw it and downloaded everything again. (Glad i dont have a data cap lol)

#2294 SpideyVille  

SpideyVille

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

I never really looked at the 3DS "remasters" of the MArio + Luigi games before today, so I had never noticed how improved the graphics look on 3DS. Kinda makes me want to get Bowser's Inside Story now lol.

#2295 MikeIsGood   CAG'n Since 04 CAGiversary!   165 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

MikeIsGood

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

WOW, I thought it was just me when thinking the controls where off a bit. But as stated, the levels are great as is the game, but due to the controls, I never played the Wii U version past the first area. Maybe if my son ever gets it for his NS, I'll give it another go, or I could return to the Wii U version as well.

I'm with you all, as well. I am a big, big DKC fan from SNES days, so when I finally had a Nintendo system again and there was a new (re-release) game I was very hyped. But I was also very let down. The controls are clunky as you said, but I also didn't like how the "side-kick" characters were used and the boss battles were overly complex. I can do them, but I just find them to be...annoying, and way too long.

I got through most of it, but won't be revisiting it. I revisit DKC1-3 usually annually, and it appears I'll be sticking to just those 3.

#2296 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2425 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:05 PM

I did the preorder through Amazon when the price dropped as my prime was already expired.  I have it (with Luigu-U) on WiiU and played enough of it to know that it's a fantastic game.  The switch version will just be a more convenient way to complete it and I might bring other family members into the fun.  Nicely my copy showed up today with my preordered copy of Tales of Vesperia (Switch, with the old prime discount still intact) and my cheap 3DS game The Alliance Alive (which is indeed the launch version... there probably isn't a non-big box version).  Amazon actually took the three separate orders and combined them into one bubble envelope.  Thankfully no damage at all.

#2297 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   942 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:57 AM

I ended up buying physical even though I'm trying to go digital only. Maybe I'll bend my rule and do one cartridge at a time only. Not sure if my will is strong enough

#2298 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2425 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:58 AM

Physical preorder talk below:

Dragon's Dogma is $27.92 on Amazon for preorder. Wen't ahead and locked my preorder in there. Oddly FF XII is sold out on preorder but Target and Walmart still have it for $42.43 for anyone like me that slept on the Amazon price match. I'm going to just get it from Walmart with the store delivery as they throw in a small extra discount for that option.

#2299 7String   Adam Howard CAG Veteran   186 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

Nintendo is the best man
My wireless controller went out, and it was fixed and returned within 2 weeks, $0 cost as well

#2300 An Orange Cat   Pet My Fur CAGiversary!   1135 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

An Orange Cat

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:32 PM

Did you play co-op? Looking to see if this is something my wife and I can play together that involves the second player more than Odyssey. Right now we really just have Mario Kart.

Yes the coop is fantastic. Both players pick a character and play through the game together. There's also two easy mode characters added to this one who basically can't die. Dying doesn't matter in coop anyway since you just respawn by the person still alive. It's a lot of fun. It's also drop in/out so you don't need a coop save file.

#2301 CamperinaBush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   804 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

CamperinaBush

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

Yes the coop is fantastic. Both players pick a character and play through the game together. There's also two easy mode characters added to this one who basically can't die. Dying doesn't matter in coop anyway since you just respawn by the person still alive. It's a lot of fun. It's also drop in/out so you don't need a coop save file.

Awesome! We bought it last night but haven’t had a chance to play.

Anyone else get a “back in stock” email for Katamari Damacy Reroll?

#2302 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   1559 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

Re: nsmbud

Toadette is a beast.  I'm having the most fun playing as her, difficulty aside, just because she has a number of different movement options.

Nabbit on the other hand, cannot be hit by anything.  My 5 year old nephew gets to play as nabbit and bubbles during difficult platforming sections (he can still die from falls)

#2303 Tell Em Steve-Dave   This guy partys harder than Spudds McKenzie! CAGiversary!   3556 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Tell Em Steve-Dave

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:59 PM

I preordered NSMBU as soon as it went on sale and I love it as much as I thought I would!

That said, does anyone have any recommendations for a good sidescroller (or platformer, if you prefer)? It's my favorite genre and I'm always open to a good one! (*edit: Switch games. Don't own any other Nintendo consoles)

#2304 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

I preordered NSMBU as soon as it went on sale and I love it as much as I thought I would!

That said, does anyone have any recommendations for a good sidescroller (or platformer, if you prefer)? It's my favorite genre and I'm always open to a good one!

Give us some that you have played.  Are you only asking about Switch games? I recently beat The Messenger and thought it was great. Really hard though.

#2305 dualrec  

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:57 AM

I'm late to the game on Wii U as an emulator.  Reading about Nintendont.  Is it safe and easy to setup (without killing my console)?

#2306 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Four Roses Single Barrel CAGiversary!   2322 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:13 AM

FYI : Amazon has Rocket League for Switch digital back in stock for $9.99 ($19.99 on eShop)

#2307 bubster93   WOT! CAGiversary!   128 Posts   Joined 1.6 Years Ago  

bubster93

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:56 AM

That said, does anyone have any recommendations for a good sidescroller (or platformer, if you prefer)? It's my favorite genre and I'm always open to a good one! (*edit: Switch games. Don't own any other Nintendo consoles)

Freedom Planet and Splunker Party

#2308 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1778 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

Rayman Legends is amazing.  Yoshi's Crafted World comes out in March and is likely good.

#2309 DickDurden   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1058 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

Newegg has the $50 eshop cards back in stock and the extra $10 promo is still live. For now...

#2310 sr_388   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   127 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

Depends on what type of platformer you're looking for, but here are some of my favorites:

Just pure platforming:

Celeste, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, N++, Light Fall

Action:

Dead Cells, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Blaster Master Zero, any Mega Man

Open-World (Metroidvania):

Hollow Knight, Iconoclasts, SteamWorld Dig 2, Yoku's Island Express