* * * * * 20 votes

Nintendo eShop Deals - 2/11: Capcom/Namco/Ubisoft Sales! $20 Hades, $40 Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory, & More!

#3421 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1094 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:01 AM

I would keep your expectations in check before even playing it.  I highly doubt you are going to see "VR worth seeing" with anything that has the power of the Switch without dedicated hardware.  The PS4 Pro can just barely do VR right and it's way more powerful than a Switch, and has a lot of dedicated hardware made for VR.

#3422 lionheart059   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   624 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

lionheart059

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:55 AM

I would keep your expectations in check before even playing it.  I highly doubt you are going to see "VR worth seeing" with anything that has the power of the Switch without dedicated hardware.  The PS4 Pro can just barely do VR right and it's way more powerful than a Switch, and has a lot of dedicated hardware made for VR.

This.  Especially since from what we've seen so far, Odyssey is just getting a minigame, and while Zelda is "playable" in VR, it's still the same third person game.  It's not like you'll be in first person, running around fighting Bokoblins.

#3423 buckythekat   dv8 King of Concerns CAGiversary!   3253 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

buckythekat

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:30 PM

I am very excited about the Mario and Zelda VR....(i called it), and NINTENDO CAME THROUGH AS I KNEW THEY WOULD!!!

Finally, were going to see VR worth seeing!!! Very excited, like I mean, ill pay MSRP on release day type anticipatory

Virtual Boy 2.0 is not 'finally' VR worth seeing

#3424 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3624 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:30 PM

The PS4 pro is also pushing a higher resolution vr, multiple video streams out at once (tv out upto 4k and a separate feed for the VR), and has to load everything from a slower harddrive versus the solid state hardware of the switch.  Oh plus it needs extra hardware for the input where as Switch was designed with motion detection, an ir camera, and other features in the basic unit as is.

In no way am I suggesting it'll be TECHNICALLY better than PSVR, but the screen is native to the system and the VR mode has been hidden in the OS since the first hackers started digging through the code.  It'll be on par with what cellphone/tablet vr currently is except with high quality games.  Since Nintendo games don't push for super realism in their characters and game worlds... it should look ok even with the base 720p screen.

I want to check it out.  I don't think it'll be a huge revolution, but it's a cheap entry to vr since all you really need is the shell like what cellphones have and surely someone will put out a cheaper option than the VR starter kit unless there's already a generic shell for a 6.2" tablet that will work with the switch.

#3425 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1094 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

I mean you're comparing it to mobile VR.  That in and of itself isn't a good sign.  There is nothing VR on cell phones worth even checking out.

You think low res VR is going to be fun to view millimeters away from your eyes? 

But if that is your expectations, then sure go at it.  But that is far from "VR worth seeing" in my opinion.  

#3426 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3624 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:49 PM

I mean you're comparing it to mobile VR.  That in and of itself isn't a good sign.  There is nothing VR on cell phones worth even checking out.

You think low res VR is going to be fun to view millimeters away from your eyes? 

But if that is your expectations, then sure go at it.  But that is far from "VR worth seeing" in my opinion.  

I think Mario Odyssey and Zelda BOTW are two of the best games ever in their series and best of their genre on any platform ever.  So seeing them in VR to me is worth seeing even just for the novelty of it.

The one big positive for this kind of VR over all the other forms of VR currently out there... it's wireless.  There's no cord management to deal with.  That's something I've had to deal with in helping setup my son's oculus rift.  It was neat to check out the Oculus, but to me the games weren't what I wanted... though it has gotten better.  On a negative, it's not a full headset so you have to hold on to something and that could get awkward.

Overall I see vr as a curiosity but not something I care that deeply about.  Like before Oculus, HTC Vive, PSVR... and others? came out it was neat to do the various rollercoaster and other vr simulations with an iphone 4 and the early headsets like google cardboard.  The software wasn't there for much more than that, but it was on a 960x640 3.5" iphone 4... and it was easy to make out what was going on and get pulled into the experience.   This higher resolution with better motion detection and two of the best games I've played in my 40 years of console & handheld gaming...  It's worth a look to me.  There's supposedly a demo of it on Sunday at Best Buy.  I may check it out... though I think it'll just be the labo games which I have no interest in.

#3427 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1094 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:15 PM

After playing Moss and Astro Bot on PSVR (the only 2 games I've ever platinum'd on PS4) it would be INCREDIBLE to play a Mario game in true VR.  

But what they are doing with faux VR on the Switch doesn't even have me interested in trying out.  I know 100% that it won't even be close to anything like the experiences Moss and Astro Bot are.

VR is definitely gaining traction and PSVR sales prove the fact.  Nintendo wanting to dabble in it shows you they too see it is here to stay so they are trying to get on the bandwagon too.  It's just a truely half assed way they are trying to do it.  

As you mention, it's just a novelty at best on Switch.

#3428 DarthPwner  

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:42 PM

You guys are forgetting how much of a flop the Virtual Boy was...

#3429 elessar123  

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:00 PM

...and has to load everything from a slower harddrive versus the solid state hardware of the switch.

The best SD card in the Switch is marginally better than a 2.5" 5400 RPM hard drive, at best.

Oh plus it needs extra hardware for the input where as Switch was designed with motion detection, an ir camera, and other features in the basic unit as is.

IR is on the right JoyCon only.

It'll be on par with what cellphone/tablet vr currently is except with high quality games. Since Nintendo games don't push for super realism in their characters and game worlds... it should look ok even with the base 720p screen.

Not even close. Something like the Samsung Galaxy S8 has twice the PPI as the Switch, with 3-4x 4.625x as many pixels, on a smaller screen. The VR on the Switch will look like crap.

#3430 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   596 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

https://twitter.com/...6852942849?s=21
Good news pinball pervs!

Boobs and balls. My favorite combination.

#3431 Super Sonic   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   782 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Super Sonic

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:40 PM

The best SD card in the Switch is marginally better than a 2.5" 5400 RPM hard drive, at best.

IR is on the right JoyCon only.

Not even close. Something like the Samsung Galaxy S8 has twice the PPI as the Switch, with 3-4x 4.625x as many pixels, on a smaller screen. The VR on the Switch will look like crap.

Not to mention VR shoots for 90fps to look good. BoTW moves at about 30. I wouldn't get too excited for it.

#3432 tonyvx  

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:29 AM

It's a super cheap entry level VR toy for kids. Can y'all chill?

Also, any rumors of a Direct soon? I assume we'll be getting one before E3.

#3433 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7179 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:42 AM

Bought Outrun again.

#3434 elessar123  

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:16 AM

It's a super cheap entry level VR toy for kids. Can y'all chill?

Also, any rumors of a Direct soon? I assume we'll be getting one before E3.

I know you say that, but VR usually has a recommended age of 12+ or 13+. Add to the fact that kids are more likely to get motion sickness. Who is it actually aimed at then? Most teens nowaday probably have a phone.

#3435 Nephilim_BC  

Nephilim_BC

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:22 AM

I know you say that, but VR usually has a recommended age of 12+ or 13+. Add to the fact that kids are more likely to get motion sickness. Who is it actually aimed at then? Most teens nowaday probably have a phone.

does that phone have nintendo games?

#3436 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1094 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:23 AM

The whole VR discussion came up because someone said finally there is "VR worth seeing" and I was just letting him know that it's far from that.  Nothing wrong with the crappy faux VR experience for kids for $30 or whatever.  I was just telling him to keep his expectations in check.

#3437 elessar123  

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:26 AM

Does Pokemon give kids seizures? Nintendo's not infallible.

#3438 Nephilim_BC  

Nephilim_BC

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:25 AM

Does Pokemon give kids seizures? Nintendo's not infallible.

porygon does

#3439 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71052 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:32 AM

Here are the new deals for today:

:switch:

20XX - $10.79 - 40% Off - Ends 4/15

Braveland Trilogy - $11.99 - 20% Off - Ends 4/15

Membrane - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/22

Monkey King: Master of the Clouds - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/22

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - $33.99 - 15% Off - Ends 4/25

Not Not: A Brain Buster - $0.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/18

Pet Care - $0.74 - 50% Off - Ends 4/22

Saboteur! - $1.84 - 77% Off - Ends 4/26

Sega Ages Out Run - $5.99 - 25% Off - Ends 4/15

Sega Ages Sonic the Hedgehog - $5.99 - 25% Off - Ends 4/15

Sonic Forces - $19.99 - 33% Off - Ends 4/15

#3440 lionheart059   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   624 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

lionheart059

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

...Well yeah.  Animal Crossing, Mario, Zelda, Dragalia Lost...

#3441 madmatt213   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   325 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

madmatt213

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:33 PM

The other ones, yes, but Zelda on a phone?

#3442 Churchbus   Squirtin out both ends CAGiversary!   156 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Churchbus

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:00 PM

The developer had stated the game was made for stick play

Interesting, I didn't know this.  Thanks for the insight, all!

Though I wound up missing the sale anyway because I forgot it was only for the weekend.  Oh well, I guess I'll wait for the Switch version to go on sale again in late 2020.

#3443 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3624 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:44 PM

Bought Outrun again.

I'll likely do the same.  I really wish they'd contract out to Sumo Digital to get Outrun 2006 CtC ported with some network updates for today.  That I'd rebuy physically at full price.

#3444 lionheart059   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   624 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

lionheart059

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:03 PM

Bah humbug.  I meant to put FE there but had Zelda on the brain.

#3445 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3624 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

Bah humbug.  I meant to put FE there but had Zelda on the brain.

It doesn't really matter anyway as those phone games pale in comparison to the real inhouse developed Nintendo games on consoles and handhelds.  Mario Run is passable as an autorunner but is garbage compared to Mario Odyssey.  The freemium games are pretty much garbage as far as I'm concerned.  They may have some minor merits here and there but are mainly engineered to exploit those that easily get addicted to that stuff and start forking money out for it.

#3446 lionheart059   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   624 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

lionheart059

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:55 AM

It doesn't really matter anyway as those phone games pale in comparison to the real inhouse developed Nintendo games on consoles and handhelds.  Mario Run is passable as an autorunner but is garbage compared to Mario Odyssey.  The freemium games are pretty much garbage as far as I'm concerned.  They may have some minor merits here and there but are mainly engineered to exploit those that easily get addicted to that stuff and start forking money out for it.

Irrelevant, the question wasn't if there are GOOD Nintendo games on the phone - just if there are Nintendo games.

#3447 Nephilim_BC  

Nephilim_BC

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:04 AM

Irrelevant, the question wasn't if there are GOOD Nintendo games on the phone - just if there are Nintendo games.

are there switch games on the phone? What was your phone comment for?

#3448 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71052 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:26 AM

Here are the new deals for today:

Joggernauts - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/16

Moonlighter - $16.74 - 35% Off - Ends 4/15

:3ds:

Balloon Pop Remix - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/22

Cube Creator 3D - $4.49 - 45% Off - Ends 4/24

Johnny Hotshot - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/22

Johnny Impossible - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/22

Johnny Kung Fu - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/22

Samurai G - $0.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/22

Samurai Sword Destiny - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/22

Zombie Slayer Diox - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/22

New Releases:

Arcade Archives Donkey Kong 3 - $7.99

Jungle Z - $12.99

Out There: The Alliance - $14.99

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - $29.99

Fun Fact: Nintendo broke their webstore, so the sorting options don't work and only orders games by release date.

#3449 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3238 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:29 AM

This stupid huge sale had better be real tomorrow, otherwise I'll have returned Diablo III to gamestop for nothing.

#3450 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71052 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:48 AM

This stupid huge sale had better be real tomorrow, otherwise I'll have returned Diablo III to gamestop for nothing.

What sale?