* * * * * 20 votes

Nintendo eShop Deals - 2/11: Capcom/Namco/Ubisoft Sales! $20 Hades, $40 Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory, & More!

#3601 madmatt213   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   325 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

madmatt213

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:46 PM

Just got an email that MK 11 Is out!!!!

First digital sale I’m getting , I cancelled my pre order and totally forgot....that was so quick !!!!

Anyone play yet

I am not, will probably wait a year or two before getting it. I’ve heard that performance on the Switch is great, and even though a few things are missing from the Switch version, they’ll get patched in soon.

#3602 7String   7 string rules Silenced   492 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:35 PM

Very sound advice, I’ll follow suit..give it till at least Christmas for patches and holidays

#3603 kaydigi   BK All Day CAGiversary!   1595 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:13 PM

I am not, will probably wait a year or two before getting it. I’ve heard that performance on the Switch is great, and even though a few things are missing from the Switch version, they’ll get patched in soon.

This dude said a year or two, CAG indeed.

#3604 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:16 PM

I am probably going to wait until the XL/Legendary Edition gets released.

#3605 madmatt213   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   325 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

madmatt213

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:51 PM

This dude said a year or two, CAG indeed.

Lol, CAG indeed. I definitely don’t want to spend the $100 now when I can get the complete edition in a couple years for less than $60 when it’s on sale. I might rent it from Redbox or the library on PS4 to play through the story now.

#3606 madmatt213   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   325 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

madmatt213

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:04 PM

I sure hope some good US eShop sales happen soon. We didn’t get that big European sale, and I just saw on the Japanese News channel on Switch that Capcom is doing a Golden Week sale. I know I can swap regions, or use an alt account, but I always have eShop credit on my US account (I try not to give credit card info to anyone unless absolutely necessary), and I don’t want to have paid games sitting on an alt account.

#3607 WonkyToad   Switch Friend Code = SW-5381-8720-3041 - ADD ME!... if you w CAGiversary!   962 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:44 PM

I just saw on the Japanese News channel on Switch that Capcom is doing a Golden Week sale.

Oh That's right AND they are getting a new Emperor too!

#3608 Glas   Rhythm Game Maniac CAGiversary!   406 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:45 AM

Katamary is 20$ on eshop

finally

#3609 Caterjunes   Me Bil CAGiversary!   1615 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:32 AM

Katamary is 20$ on eshop

finally

Yeeeeesssssssss

#3610 blackwaltz34   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1418 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

blackwaltz34

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:57 AM

Katamary is 20$ on eshop

finally

I think I’ll hop on this....I usually go physical but this is pretty significant discount and rather not go through GameStop

#3611 MikeIsGood   CAG'n Since 04 CAGiversary!   223 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

MikeIsGood

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:04 AM

I know it's not talking in deals (sorry fellow CAGers), but did anyone ever play Dragon's Dogma on another console? I need something to play - preferably on Switch with an abundance of travel coming up - and this looks pretty good. Lots of comments on videos or reviews I've watched/read use some "best RPG ever", "best game ever" type of hyperbole about it (or not). For $30 it seems like a decent deal, even for something so old as it is new to me.

Long story short - any thoughts on Dragon's Dogma?

#3612 Soma_Cruz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1657 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Soma_Cruz

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:23 AM

I know it's not talking in deals (sorry fellow CAGers), but did anyone ever play Dragon's Dogma on another console? I need something to play - preferably on Switch with an abundance of travel coming up - and this looks pretty good. Lots of comments on videos or reviews I've watched/read use some "best RPG ever", "best game ever" type of hyperbole about it (or not). For $30 it seems like a decent deal, even for something so old as it is new to me.

Combat, pawn system, and exploration are all good. Story is very generic and forgettable. So depends on what you're looking for.

#3613 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:25 AM

I bought Dynamite Fishing and although I've only played it for about 10 min or so, it's definitely worth 9 cents. It even has multiplayer.

#3614 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10700 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:29 AM

Dragon's Dogma is alright. The pawn system is kind of cool and I thought the magic looked really neat. Also was neat to be able to climb on monsters. Story is not so hot as many have put. I didn't play Dark Arisen though.

#3615 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5744 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:35 AM

I'm the guy who owns four copies of DDDA, so I may not be the most neutral party on the subject, but overall I'd say it's well worth that price. The story, at least on the surface, is fairly light and not especially original, though you can dig a lot deeper than the surface level based on bits and pieces you find out throughout the course of the game—more like a Dark Souls than a Skyrim, in that regard. What's really special about DD, though, is the combat. Even seven years after its release, it's easily some of the best combat in any RPG ever, even rivaling the likes of the Soulsborne games, though very different in execution. It was designed in part by Itsuno, the man behind DMC, and it shows; not only are boss monsters epic, even encounters with smaller enemies can be challenging and exciting. It's also a great game for emergent stories—while its open world is relatively small compared to some games with that feature, it's extremely dense and well-crafted, NPC/enemy AI routines can be surprisingly detailed even outside of combat; the developers gave a lot of attention to the little things (even things like character height and weight have minor affects on non-combat gameplay, for example), and it shows.

All that said, there are some significant caveats. The biggest one is the scale—it was originally planned as a much larger project (which is itself crazy to think about), but Capcom choked down pretty hard on that, and the budget restrictions show in some repeated environmental elements, a mediocre endgame dungeon (though thankfully a better one was released in the Dark Arisen expansion which is included in all versions other than the original 360/PS3 releases), the sadly truncated story, and various other minor elements. It's unfortunately easy to outlevel everything in the main campaign—ironically, even more so in hard mode, which awards you for the challenge with extra gold and exp—so for your first playthrough, it may be best to avoid completing every side quest that comes your way. They included a relationship system, but it's extremely rudimentary and difficult to control. The pawn system is a bit of a love it, leave it, or hate it affair—pawns are NPC allies that players design alongside their characters, and you teach your pawn skills, behaviors, and classes as you level up, which almost gives a sort of light raising sim feeling to the game, made more interesting by the fact that other players can borrow your pawn (as you can borrow theirs); however, pawn dialogue tends to be repetitive, and pawns tend to act incredibly socially inept, and can be particularly stupid in combat if you teach them the wrong inclinations for their class/skill loadout. Personally, I love the pawns—they're like autistic battle children—but I understand why some people aren't as hot on them.

All in all, Dragon's Dogma is one of the better new IPs to come out last generation. If you're looking for a really moving, deep, comprehensive story... DD may not be the right game. It's got some really intriguing elements if you dig into it, but it's not heavily narrative focused, and the narrative isn't really groundbreaking. If you're looking for an excellent action game, or an interesting fantasy world to explore, though, DD really shines; it has its problems, of course, but the good far outweighs the bad, in my opinion.

#3616 MikeIsGood   CAG'n Since 04 CAGiversary!   223 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

MikeIsGood

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:12 AM

Great feedback, thanks all. Souffrir has me pretty sold, but I will say I was expecting to hear there was more of a story there. From what I've read, Netflix is making a show out of it - that had me thinking there was an interesting story to tell. But I suppose everyone gets Netflix shows these days.

I'll sleep on it, but will probably pick it up. A good action RPG with combat as good as this sounds strikes me as a good purchase to cover me for the next 4 weeks or so.

#3617 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   845 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:14 AM

It's hands down one of my favorite games of all time, around 500 hours played between the PS3 and PS4 versions.

Main thing I would try to get across is that it is first and foremost a gameplay focused sandbox and not a story one. The story has some neat touches, especially if you beat the game twice as some stuff at the end of the game change in cool ways, but all in all it's pretty generic. The combat and the RPG mechanics are really where it stands out. I think the two more popular talking points are the pawn system (already mentioned here) and the climbing system which allows you to grab any other NPC in the game (friend or foe) and if they're big enough climb them, and obviously certain enemies will have different weak points on their body so it is a large part of melee combat, and very fun when you get the hang of it. 

That said for me a lot of the fun is just with how weird and oddly specific some of the mechanics are. For a very specific example: the game has really deep character customization tools and your physical characteristics actually matter in the world. Weight and height actually have an effect on your hitbox and how you interact with the environment alongside differences in how you consume/regenerate stamina.That kind of stuff isn't exactly uncommon in RPGs but at least in my experience it is not common in specifically action RPGs where you usually have less control over body proportions, but DD just lets you go crazy and make unholy creations if you so choose.

And then yeah no real segue but the basic combat is really fun. Good selection of classes to meet the usual archetypes all with fun skills (especially Magick Archer, I could write a essay on why I love that class so much.) Only problem is the class balance is truly terrible, the differences in the best and worst classes are gigantic the deeper you get into the game. The saving grace though is that you can freely change classes at a rest point and even though some classes are weak by comparison they are still fun to play honestly. 

#3618 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5744 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:55 AM

Great feedback, thanks all. Souffrir has me pretty sold, but I will say I was expecting to hear there was more of a story there. From what I've read, Netflix is making a show out of it - that had me thinking there was an interesting story to tell. But I suppose everyone gets Netflix shows these days.

I'll sleep on it, but will probably pick it up. A good action RPG with combat as good as this sounds strikes me as a good purchase to cover me for the next 4 weeks or so.

There’s some pretty interesting lore, it’s just that the surface narrative doesn’t make it super explicit. And while the narrative is fairly light and not groundbreaking, it helps that the story is heavily influenced by Berserk.

#3619 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71287 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:20 AM

Here are the deals from the last couple of days:

:switch: Pre-orders

Sniper Elite V2 Remastered - $31.49 - 10% Off - Ends 5/14

:switch:

A Case of Distrust - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 5/8

Assault On Metaltron - $3.49 - 50% Off - Ends 5/6

Green Game: TimeSweeper - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

InnerSpace - $4.99 - 75% Off - Ends 4/30

Katamari Damacy Reroll - $20.99 - 30% Off - Ends 5/7

Lifeless Planet: Premiere Edition - $7.99 - 60% Off - Ends 5/8

Mecho Wars: Desert Ashes - $3.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/30

Next Up Hero - $4.99 - 75% Off - Ends 4/30

Overdriven Reloaded: Special Edition - $0.99 - 87% Off - Ends 5/7

The Path of Motus - $9.74 - 35% Off - Ends 5/13

Pillar - $3.99 - 50% Off - Ends 5/12

Pinstripe - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 5/8

Theatre Tales - $1.11 - 25% Off - Ends 5/6

Tinboy - $0.79 - 60% Off - Ends 5/8

War Theatre - $3.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/30

#3620 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8606 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:24 PM

Anyone having problems redeeming eShop cards?  I bought a $10 card, tried to redeem the code both on my 3DS and my Wii U, and both systems recognize the amount but I get a message that says "Error Code: 107-6838, The code could not be recognized."  

#3621 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

Anyone having problems redeeming eShop cards?  I bought a $10 card, tried to redeem the code both on my 3DS and my Wii U, and both systems recognize the amount but I get a message that says "Error Code: 107-6838, The code could not be recognized."  

Do you have a switch account? You may need to merge your nintendo ID with that?

#3622 7String   7 string rules Silenced   492 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:33 PM

AHHYESSSSS KAtamari is $20! As I predicted, end of april thered be a discount/sale!!! And NOW I will swoop in and purchase the digital version (as the only physical copies I "need" are the official N

#3623 born free   Old School CAGiversary!   4854 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:06 PM

Picked up Katamari

#3624 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:15 PM

Dark Souls is $28 on the eShop. Guess I'm buying it?

#3625 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5744 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:52 PM

Just out of curiosity, how often, if ever, do games developed by another company but published in the US by Nintendo of America go on sale? I’ve been considering a digital version of Monster Hunter Stories, but it looks like it hasn’t ever been discounted, which seemed odd to me until I remembered Capcom didn’t publish it in the US.

#3626 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3614 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

Dark Souls is $28 on the eShop. Guess I'm buying it?

Me too. Damn. Lol

#3627 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3867 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:18 PM

Persona 5 Scramble was announced for Switch and PS4.  It's a Warriors type game...

#3628 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:18 PM

Persona 5 Scramble was announced for Switch and PS4.  It's a Warriors type game...

Biggest disappointment of the year.

#3629 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3867 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:22 PM

Biggest disappointment of the year.

The only positive is for those that love this genre.   It's a kick in the guts to anyone that wanted the main game on the Switch.  I'm just glad that I'm not a huge fan of Persona or these Musou/Warriors type games.

#3630 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:26 PM

The only positive is for those that love this genre.   It's a kick in the guts to anyone that wanted the main game on the Switch.  I'm just glad that I'm not a huge fan of Persona or these Musou/Warriors type games.

Which brings me to my next question.... Where the hell is Shin Megami Tensei V? I assumed they put it on hold to port P5, but I guess that was not the case.