* * * * - 8 votes

Nintendo eShop Deals - 3/20: Nindies Sale! $7 Bloodstained, $10 Blossom Tales, $6 Minit, $10 Yoku's Island Express, & More!

#2761 tonyvx  

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:35 PM

Of course it is necessary, but this is all on them for deciding to ship Showdown and King of Cards at the same time.  They clearly did not have the resources to meet their stated deadlines.  Therefore they should have focused on King of Cards, completed that - then done Showdown in a future patch.  Particularly since such a game type requires lots of play testing and balance.  No one is suggesting to ditch it completely.  I just don't like waiting "several months" after having already waited for two years since Specter Knight so they can add a feature that is kind of a throwaway.

The problem is they have made a marketing decision, probably to leverage the Amiibo functionality and they recognize that Showdown is not enough on its own to juice sales.  That's because you are buying Shovel Knight for a Megaman like side scroller, not for Smash Bros. 8 bit.  It just feels like that time the Mighty No. 9 devs announced that one delay due to "online functionality", something nobody cared about.  And it rings hollow that they also blame it on wanting to ship a "complete game" for the physical edition when Shovel Knight has already had physical editions that got patched for new content.

Complaining about extra time for the huge amount of free content they're putting out is a pretty bad look, dude. They could've easily just put out the playable characters promised in the campaign and been done years ago - but instead they've spent years they didn't need to making full fledged, highly polished new games and giving them away to people for free. That good will earns them a bit of slack.

#2762 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1799 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:49 AM

Complaining about extra time for the huge amount of free content they're putting out is a pretty bad look, dude. They could've easily just put out the playable characters promised in the campaign and been done years ago - but instead they've spent years they didn't need to making full fledged, highly polished new games and giving them away to people for free. That good will earns them a bit of slack.

It wasn't for free, these were stretch goals that were met.  Not delivering would have been not meeting their end of the bargain for Kickstarter, and promised content for all the people that purchased the game over time.  Sure they could have shoveled out cheap cash in playable characters, but how many people have purchased the game (and many multiple times) due to the promise of additional unique campaigns?

It's a bad look to be willing to pay money then make excuses for a developer not delivering content in a timely manner that was promised as part of the purchase.  Dude.

Stop cutting developers and publishers slack for not delivering and/or missing promised deadlines, particularly when it is a marketing decision or bad project planning.  We live in a time where it is practically expected gamers pony up cash up front for pre-orders, season passes and games with promised "future content".  They already have our money, going "oh well, I'm just lucky to get anything else at this point" despite it being well known this content was part of our purchase when we paid is just being gullible.

#2763 tonyvx  

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:37 AM

It wasn't for free, these were stretch goals that were met.  Not delivering would have been not meeting their end of the bargain for Kickstarter, and promised content for all the people that purchased the game over time.  Sure they could have shoveled out cheap cash in playable characters, but how many people have purchased the game (and many multiple times) due to the promise of additional unique campaigns?

It's a bad look to be willing to pay money then make excuses for a developer not delivering content in a timely manner that was promised as part of the purchase.  Dude.

Stop cutting developers and publishers slack for not delivering and/or missing promised deadlines, particularly when it is a marketing decision or bad project planning.  We live in a time where it is practically expected gamers pony up cash up front for pre-orders, season passes and games with promised "future content".  They already have our money, going "oh well, I'm just lucky to get anything else at this point" despite it being well known this content was part of our purchase when we paid is just being gullible.

New games weren't stretch goals, at any point. Kickstarter stretch goals were for "playable boss knights" - which means the same exact game with additional characters, which they made very clear. Instead, they've decided to make completely new games (with new stories, levels, characters etc). For free.

They could have very, very easily kept Shovel Knight as Shovel Knight, and just delivered the extras to original backers. Which would have been par for the course for the current industry. Instead they have upgraded all original purchasers of Shovel Knight to "Treasure Trove" to receive all 4 extra games as well. For free.

In a world of EA's and Activision's screwing customers and developers at every turn, I'm grateful to have devs like Yacht Club who care about their art and the customers. You trying to lump them in with the industry norm is just silly.

#2764 bob101910   Cammy's Cat CAGiversary!   4280 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:56 AM

Diablo feels like it was made for Switch. Tried getting into it on PC and Xbox with no luck in the past. Having so much fun with it now.

#2765 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68367 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:06 AM

Except all the Kickstarter promises are playable boss knights, not extra campaigns.

"Play the full game as a member of the Order of No Quarter! If we meet this stretch goal, we’ll hold a vote to see who it will be. Expect the game to play differently! For example, Propeller Knight could have the ability to hover for short distances, but would be a low health ‘glass cannon’ of sorts. Even the story and dialog will change a little bit to reflect the changes!"

I bought the game when it just had the one campaign and no promises of adding three other full campaigns for free for the $15. I also didn't back the Kickstarter, so I'm not one of the people that specifically bought it for that extra stuff either. Being a regular Kickstarter backer, however, I understand that dates are hard to hit for small teams, especially with so many platforms to hit at once. I've also not played through both of the added campaigns, so I'm not needing this thing to be out ASAP if the worst thing that happens is that it gets that extra bit of polish and attention it needs. I'm always up for devs getting that extra time if it's needed.

They've also been open with issues and such that happen during development to give them the credibility to believe they're not delaying things for nebulous "marketing decisions" or anything like that. This isn't Square Enix forcing the Just Cause team to get their game out for December to hit some fiscal year deadline for their own bottom line or whatever, so I don't see anything nefarious going on here.

#2766 tonyvx  

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:47 AM

Astral Chain is also showing $55.82 on Amazon, but no coupon extra.  (https://www.amazon.c...h/dp/B07NQF74M3) It ended up $60.29 for me after tax.

Astral Chain now has a $1.13 coupon, making pretax total $54.69.

I'm also getting this new payment option called "Equal Pay" on checkout with my Amazon Rewards Visa to split it between 6 payments ($9.30/month), instead of the normal 5% cash back. Pretty interesting.

#2767 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1799 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:50 AM

New games weren't stretch goals, at any point. Kickstarter stretch goals were for "playable boss knights" - which means the same exact game with additional characters, which they made very clear. Instead, they've decided to make completely new games (with new stories, levels, characters etc). For free.

They could have very, very easily kept Shovel Knight as Shovel Knight, and just delivered the extras to original backers. Which would have been par for the course for the current industry. Instead they have upgraded all original purchasers of Shovel Knight to "Treasure Trove" to receive all 4 extra games as well. For free.

In a world of EA's and Activision's screwing customers and developers at every turn, I'm grateful to have devs like Yacht Club who care about their art and the customers. You trying to lump them in with the industry norm is just silly.

I did NOT try to lump them in with EA and Activision, that is your assumption.  That is a whole higher level of shittiness.  What I did do is say we should hold them to their commitments, just like I, as a developer, get held to every single day.  And I'm not unique in that.  I'm on a small team, that is no excuse for bad project management, in fact a smaller team ought to be easier to predict, not harder.

When you have two full years since the last update, you make a commitment 8 months out and say how you are not only going to deliver A by April, but also B by then then you do that, especially when A is all people want/expect in the next release.  Then you come back and say not only are you not getting B by then, but also not A either, the next logical question is "why the Hell did you try to do both if you can't even get one done?".  Delays happen, sure but when they do it better not be for damn feature creep.  Showdown could have waited.

#2768 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2509 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:50 AM

Astral Chain now has a $1.13 coupon, making pretax total $54.69.

I'm also getting this new payment option called "Equal Pay" on checkout with my Amazon Rewards Visa to split it between 6 payments ($9.30/month), instead of the normal 5% cash back. Pretty interesting.

Thanks. Cancelled and reordered.

Also DQ11S and DQ Builders 2 are currently at that price with coupon as well. The deal for Super Mario Maker though is over. So anyone wanting those time to jump if you want them at launch with discounts and don’t have GCU as Amazon May also not keep these deals alive for very long.

#2769 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6937 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:54 AM

I didn't follow Shovel Knight much before hand, as I didn't pledge, so it was only on my radar from the press I would see here and there. After playing SK, and having bought a few versions over the years, those guys at Yacht Club are top shelf in my book. I've seen many successful KS over the years, and many are from bigger and more experienced developers, and YC could show them all how to run a campaign/business. I pledged to Wayforward, a company that shouldn't even have been on KS, and they barely delivered what was promised and took ages to finally fulfill those promises and I was left underwhelmed.

To release a game of SK caliber, it would have been easy to deliver the bare minimum and move on to bigger and better cash flow. But instead, they have continued to not only offer up tons of free content, but QUALITY free content. I haven't followed one free item or when it was supposed to release, as it was FREE. If and when it arrives, is when it arrives. Places with 30+ years of experience("N", I'm looking at you), can often delay, or release so so games after much longer waits, and charge each and every time.

If YC is wrong, I sure as hell don't want to be right, as those guys should be teaching classes to this industry, as everyone from the big three, to the bottom of the heap could stand to learn something.

#2770 sr_388   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   140 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2019 - 03:49 PM

Thanks. Cancelled and reordered.

Also DQ11S and DQ Builders 2 are currently at that price with coupon as well. The deal for Super Mario Maker though is over. So anyone wanting those time to jump if you want them at launch with discounts and don’t have GCU as Amazon May also not keep these deals alive for very long.

DQ11S is already back to normal. Thanks for the heads up on builders 2 though.

#2771 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2509 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:44 PM

DQ11S is already back to normal. Thanks for the heads up on builders 2 though.

That was quick.  I'm just glad I saw it last night and had time to cancel/re-order.   I just wish they'd do this with Cytus Alpha (missed it) and Daemon X Machina. 

Another deal on Amazon for preorder... Guacamelee! One-Two Punch Collection : $37.08 w/$0.75 coupon.   I'm not interested but I know it's pretty well loved.

#2772 Tebunker   Shrugs at Clouds CAGiversary!   638 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:48 PM

Assault Android Cactus is up on the eshop cor a March 8 preorder and 25% off.

A lot of updates, qol, accessibility and 4 player local co-op running well are in the game.

#2773 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68367 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:21 AM

Some new deals for today:

:switch: Pre-orders

Assault Android Cactus+ - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 3/7

:switch:

Old Man's Journey - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/12

#2774 Querjek   Thirty Seven CAGiversary!   2135 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:24 AM

I'm tempted to get Old Man

#2775 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:46 PM

Never heard of that Old Man game but it looks interesting especially since it's only $5 and I like that it's 2 or so hours.

Anyone who has played this, is this something that you think a toddler would enjoy watching?  I'm wondering if I get it if my (almost) 4 year old son would enjoy watching it like a movie as I play it.  Or is the story a bit more involved?

#2776 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   1305 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:38 PM

DQ11S and Astral Chain back on sale at Amazon

#2777 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2509 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:16 PM

Finally got my Switch back from my kids last night (Smash seems to be a big hit with them).  I played a few demos (mainly Yoshi's Crafted World & Daemon X Machina) and went ahead and bought Pic-A-Pix Deluxe while it's on sale and finished a few of the puzzles on it.  I don't like that Pic-A-Pix Deluxe has over $100 worth of DLC available and hate to support that stuff... but the base game has 300 puzzles (150 color / 150 B&W) and for another $3? I can get all 150 puzzles from the 3DS version of Pic-A-Pix Color.  So... that's all I plan to buy.  There are demos for both games... they are nonogram style puzzles (like PIcross).

Feedback on the two demos...

Yoshi's Crafted World ...

Spoiler

Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions ...

Spoiler

#2778 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:23 PM

Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions ...
Spoiler

What did you think of the mechs in Xenoblade Chronicles X? I really hate that I kind of loved that empty empty game...

#2779 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2509 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:46 PM

What did you think of the mechs in Xenoblade Chronicles X? I really hate that I kind of loved that empty empty game...

I bought it (and the New3DS version of the first game) shortly after falling madly in love with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 last year... but haven't had my WiiU connected since then.  So no comparisons other than the general art which I think looks pretty enough.

#2780 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68367 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:25 PM

Here are the new deals for today:

3D Billiards: Pool & Snooker - $17.99 - 10% Off - Ends 3/7

3D MiniGolf - $17.99 - 10% Off - Ends 3/7

Almost There: The Platformer - $7.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/28

Aragami: Shadow Edition - $26.99 - 10% Off - Ends 2/27

Atomine - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/11

Bingo for Nintendo Switch - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Castle of Heart - $10.04 - 33% Off - Ends 2/28

Chameleon Run Deluxe Edition - $2.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Desktop Soccer - $4.97 - 30% Off - Ends 3/13

Dexteritrip - $2.99 - 43% Off - Ends 3/13

Flowlines VS - $3.49 - 30% Off - Ends 3/13

Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/28

Gekido Kintaro's Revenge - $6.92 - 30% Off - Ends 3/7

Gnomes Garden - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Grab Lab - $3.34 - 33% Off - Ends 3/7

Grand Prix Rock 'N Racing - $3.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/13

Heroes of the Monkey Tavern - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/5

Immortal Redneck - $11.59 - 42% Off - Ends 2/28

Island Flight Simulator - $17.99 - 10% Off - Ends 3/7

Kid Tripp - $2.99 - 25% Off - Ends 3/13

Lost Sea - $6.99 - 30% Off - Ends 3/13

M.A.C.E. Space Shooter - $3.49 - 30% Off - Ends 3/3

Puzzle Box Maker - $11.99 - 20% Off - Ends 3/7

The Shapeshifting Detective - $9.09 - 30% Off - Ends 3/7

Shikhondo: Soul Eater - $4.75 - 65% Off - Ends 3/7

Sky Force Reloaded - $5.99 - 40% Off - Ends 3/3

Spencer - $4.89 - 30% Off - Ends 3/3

Super Ping Pong Trick Shot - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7
Superola and the Lost Burgers - $2.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/11

Swamp Defense 2 - $2.09 - 30% Off - Ends 3/3

This War of Mine: Complete Edition - $23.99 - 40% Off - Ends 3/5

Timber Tennis: Versus - $1.59 - 20% Off - Ends 2/28

Voxel Shot for Nintendo Switch - $5.60 - 70% Off - Ends 3/13

:3ds:

3D Game Collection - $4.49 - 25% Off - Ends 3/7

Ash - $1.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Big Bass Arcade: No Limit - $2.99 - 40% Off - Ends 3/13

Bingo Collection - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Bit Boy!! Arcade - $4.99 - 38% Off - Ends 3/7

Castle Conqueror EX - $1.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Classic Games Overload: Card & Puzzle Edition - $14.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/3

Collide-a-Ball - $0.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Cube Creator 3D - $3.59 - 40% Off - Ends 3/13

Dangerous Road - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Demon King Box - $1.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Digger Dan DX - $1.49 - 25% Off - Ends 3/13

European Conqueror 3D - $1.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Pinball Breakout - $4.90 - 30% Off - Ends 2/28

Pinball Breakout 2 - $4.90 - 30% Off - Ends 2/28

Ping Pong Trick Shot - $0.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Ping Pong Trick Shot 2 - $0.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Puzzlebox setup - $2.39 - 20% Off - Ends 3/7

RTO 2 - $7.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/28

RTO 3 - $7.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/28

Samurai Defender - $1.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Secret Mysteries in New York - $1.19 - 80% Off - Ends 3/6

Smash Bowling 3D - $2.99 - 40% Off - Ends 3/13

Stack 'em High - $1.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Strike Force Foxx - $1.99 - 33% Off - Ends 3/13

Toy Defense - $1.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Triple Breakout - $3.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/28

:wiiu:

360 Breakout - $4.90 - 30% Off - Ends 2/28

Annihilation - $0.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Breakout Defense 2 - $4.90 - 30% Off - Ends 2/28

Bridge Constructor Playground - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Double Breakout - $4.90 - 30% Off - Ends 2/28

Double Breakout II - $4.90 - 30% Off - Ends 2/28

Dracula's Legacy - $3.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

The Gem Collector - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Joe's Diner - $3.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7
Jones on Fire - $2.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7
Journey of a Special Average Balloon - $0.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Koi DX - $1.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

The Letter - $0.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Maze - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Mr. Pumpkin Adventure - $1.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Nano Assault Neo - $7.49 - 25% Off - Ends 3/13

Outside the Realm - $0.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

The Perplexing Orb - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Pinball Breakout - $4.90 - 30% Off - Ends 2/28

Queen's Garden - $3.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Suspension Railroad Simulator - $3.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

Sweetest Thing - $3.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/7

New Releases:

Devil Engine - $19.99
Hell Warders - $14.99
I wanna fly - $2.42
Q.U.B.E. 2 - $29.99
Surfingers - $4.99

Reminder that the Trials Rising Open Beta is now live.

#2781 Tebunker   Shrugs at Clouds CAGiversary!   638 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:20 PM

US getting hosed compared to EU this week. SEGA put a lot on sale in the EU including Valkyria Chronicles and some SEGA ages games.

#2782 elessar123  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:43 PM

So fly to Europe* and buy it there?

#2783 DarthPwner  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:59 PM

I'm sure you can change your region... I do it for MX eshop all the time. What are the deals? Do you have a link?

#2784 Omega X  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:23 PM

Reggie will retire in April. Bowser will be new president.

555c996469bedd6410798015-750-467.jpg

https://www.business...90221005804/en/

#2785 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   1509 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:27 PM

Finally Bowser takes control. I can imagine the difficulty of trying to attend meetings with him only to discover that he’s jumped to another castle.

#2786 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2509 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:05 PM

Reggie will retire in April. Bowser will be new president.

He says he's retiring to upgrade to spend more time with his family but I wonder if like that last guy that retired who was over indie game acquisitions (or whatever) if he'll be over at MS in May.

#2787 theflicker   Hurm. CAGiversary!   1739 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

theflicker

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:10 PM

I'm sure you can change your region... I do it for MX eshop all the time. What are the deals? Do you have a link?

I believe the issue is that unlike the MX eShop, you need EU eShop credit or an EU credit card so it's not as simple.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#2788 Tebunker   Shrugs at Clouds CAGiversary!   638 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:11 PM

I believe the issue is that unlike the MX eShop, you need EU eShop credit or an EU credit card so it's not as simple.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Also EU conversion not as nice as Na to MX.

#2789 nietzsche74   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1657 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

nietzsche74

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:31 PM

Was Devil's Third ever on sale?

#2790 tonyvx  

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:03 AM

He says he's retiring to upgrade to spend more time with his family but I wonder if like that last guy that retired who was over indie game acquisitions (or whatever) if he'll be over at MS in May.

I doubt it, but who knows. He's been the President for well over a decade, he has plenty to retire with. I'm sure he could retire off Switch bonuses alone.