* * * * * 4 votes

Nintendo eShop Deals - 8/16: $1.79 Don't Die, Mr Robot!, $3 Letter Quest Remastered, $9 Bomb Chicken, $14 Rocket League, & More!

#571 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   338 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:09 PM

I'm still holding out hope they add SNES games. Or at least start selling them in the shop. God, I want the DKC series damnit.

They seem hell bent on going after romsites so they better start providing a way to play their old catalogue on the switch.

I’d prefer my nintendo account to provide the rights to buy their old games one time and play it on the switch and any future console they make. There is no reason this cannot be done beyond greed.

#572 An Orange Cat   Pet My Fur CAGiversary!   1006 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

An Orange Cat

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:38 PM

I finally decided to buy Mecho Tales after seeing it drop to 80 cents or whatever so many times. It's fine at that price for what I've played so far.

#573 Woocls   Grumpy Old Gamer CAGiversary!   1190 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:02 PM

I'm still holding out hope they add SNES games. Or at least start selling them in the shop. God, I want the DKC series damnit.

This I would love to play some of the classics on the go. Theres so many good SNES games that are perfect for mobile gaming.

#574 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6394 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:33 PM

They seem hell bent on going after romsites so they better start providing a way to play their old catalogue on the switch.

I’d prefer my nintendo account to provide the rights to buy their old games one time and play it on the switch and any future console they make. There is no reason this cannot be done beyond greed.

Yeah, they should have done this ages ago, as this is the only company where I don't think piracy of past games is an issue. People who want to pay for these titles have, and those of us who gave up ages ago, just play them by whatever means we have at our disposal.

In my mind, they seem "hell bent", but only in their lack of offering what is probably the best back catalog in all of gaming. Disney makes a killing each year in nostalgia, and for a company like "N" who is beyond slow in releasing anything worth a damn. It seems their past library would be a good way to fill voids, but for some unknown reason, it never seems to be the case.

I personally think it is because they want to keep charging for the same stuff over and over, and each new gen they are finding that harder to do. So they have to come up with more nickel & dime ways of achieving the same goal, and mask it as something else. I don't know what their planning in regards to this online service and past games, but I would recommend to anyone with even a passing interest, do not get your hopes up. LOL

#575 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   338 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:10 PM

My expectations are definitely being managed in regards to N's online service, but I am looking forward to cloud saves.

The idea of losing game saves due to hardware failure or theft is a terrible thought.

#576 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

My expectations are definitely being managed in regards to N's online service, but I am looking forward to cloud saves.

The idea of losing game saves due to hardware failure or theft is a terrible thought.

My switch was stolen with sooooooo many hours of Zelda: BOTW on it. I try to "complete" games before I "beat" them. So I don't even have the satisfaction of getting the ending. I've been super uneasy about my 200+ hours of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sitting on my switch with no backup for months now. I have no problem paying just for cloud saves, but they really need to give people the ability to back saves up on a microSD. Sigh.

#577 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6394 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

For a system that is about 1 1/2 years old, I wish I could say not having a proper save back up system is a surprise. The NS has shown to be half baked at almost every turn since it launched, but yet it's still selling, but why or how, is an even bigger mystery to me? I've honestly played the Wii U more, and the only system by "N" I played less than that, was the Virtual Boy(which I still own BTW). LOL

Just a few days ago, one of my sons NS online games became corrupt, and he was asking me if his save file would be OK? And I told him to cross his fingers, as there's no proper way to back it up, so hope for the best. Luckily, once he ran the fix for that title, his save was still OK, but to put God knows how much time in to a game, only to be told better luck next time is beyond insane. But people keep riding that train, with no end in sight, so it is what it is I guess.

#578 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

For a system that is about 1 1/2 years old, I wish I could say not having a proper save back up system is a surprise. The NS has shown to be half baked at almost every turn since it launched, but yet it's still selling, but why or how, is an even bigger mystery to me? I've honestly played the Wii U more, and the only system by "N" I played less than that, was the Virtual Boy(which I still own BTW). LOL

Just a few days ago, one of my sons NS online games became corrupt, and he was asking me if his save file would be OK? And I told him to cross his fingers, as there's no proper way to back it up, so hope for the best. Luckily, once he ran the fix for that title, his save was still OK, but to put God knows how much time in to a game, only to be told better luck next time is beyond insane. But people keep riding that train, with no end in sight, so it is what it is I guess.

They could at least give us achievements we can cherish after our switches have all been stolen or destroyed.

#579 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6394 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:36 PM

They could at least give us achievements we can cherish after our switches have all been stolen or destroyed.

LOL, yeah, don't get me started on the lack of that, as that's just a whole other tirade, and I don't even use them, but I see the draw that adds nothing to cost, but helps others get more play from titles. Seems a win/win, except for "N" having to adopt something creative from other consoles, which they do very rarely. They may add such a feature, and put their own spin on it, but that seems something they would have promoted by now if it was coming, so I'm not hopeful.

#580 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

LOL, yeah, don't get me started on the lack of that, as that's just a whole other tirade, and I don't even use them, but I see the draw that adds nothing to cost, but helps others get more play from titles. Seems a win/win, except for "N" having to adopt something creative from other consoles, which they do very rarely. They may add such a feature, and put their own spin on it, but that seems something they would have promoted by now if it was coming, so I'm not hopeful.

They'd probably give people more useless MyNintendo platinum points.

#581 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   3209 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:51 PM

Bomb Chicken is $8.99 for Switch

#582 lilytrabbit   404: Tag Not Found CAGiversary!   293 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

lilytrabbit

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:54 PM

I think Mario 3D World or whatever it was for the WiiU had a sticker book that when you completed levels did certain objectives would reward you with a sticker. They could do the same thing for every game and have it viewable by friends and bam they have achievements.  

#583 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6394 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

I think Mario 3D World or whatever it was for the WiiU had a sticker book that when you completed levels did certain objectives would reward you with a sticker. They could do the same thing for every game and have it viewable by friends and bam they have achievements.  

Yeah, "N" has always done a similar type thing over the years(off & on), and I'm sure MS used some of those early ideals to come up with what Achievements came to be. Some developers like Yacht Club, kept their trophies/achievements, and just called them "Feats" in game(3DS/Wii U), but they are pretty much the same as the other consoles. They just don't sync to a database or anything, like the real deal. Some other developers have done the same, so like I said, it's not really any extra cost for those games from multi platform titles, it's just "N" needs to put something in place where it's unified and works as it should. 

Hell, these crazy bastards couldn't even call BotW an open world game, and had to call it "open air" instead, like there's a  Fuck ing difference. LOL So they may come up with something at some point, and call it something of the wall, but for now I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice to get something after all this time.

#584 starscream615   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   517 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

starscream615

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

Just bought Bomb chicken and played a while. It’s...da bomb :P

#585 envelopes   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   481 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:47 AM

Yeah, "N" has always done a similar type thing over the years(off & on), and I'm sure MS used some of those early ideals to come up with what Achievements came to be. Some developers like Yacht Club, kept their trophies/achievements, and just called them "Feats" in game(3DS/Wii U), but they are pretty much the same as the other consoles. They just don't sync to a database or anything, like the real deal. Some other developers have done the same, so like I said, it's not really any extra cost for those games from multi platform titles, it's just "N" needs to put something in place where it's unified and works as it should. 

I'm actually very glad that the switch doesn't have trophies, and it's one of the reasons I prefer to buy multiplatform games for it over the PS4. There's something to be said for not having every game add to an uncompletable life-long public todo list...

#586 Corto Maltese   He Who Asks Many Questions CAGiversary!   381 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Corto Maltese

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:57 AM

I'm wondering about Neo Atlas 1469 and Darkest Dungeon Ancestral Edition....both for the Switch. Are both worth the price of admission?

#587 lilytrabbit   404: Tag Not Found CAGiversary!   293 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

lilytrabbit

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:53 AM

Darkest Dungeon is a great game if you are into that style of games. I bought the Switch version for that price and was able to get a PS4 copy for $11 from Amazon. I've spent more time playing the Switch due to being able to play in bed or when the family takes away the TV. The game is not easy by any means and can be frustrating at times due to a lot of stuff being RNG based. 

#588 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6394 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:26 AM

I'm actually very glad that the switch doesn't have trophies, and it's one of the reasons I prefer to buy multiplatform games for it over the PS4. There's something to be said for not having every game add to an uncompletable life-long public todo list...

You know they can be turned off, so those who don't like them, never need to see a single one. For those who do, it's only a loss business in the end. Choices are always best, and what I may not like, someone else will. It's like having a set control scheme Vs. being able to change buttons to what a personal preference may be. Where's the harm in having such options? There really is none, and only people who don't agree with others just don't want to see choices/options, as some form of bent control, or warped sense of reality, but to each his own I suppose. 

The NS seems to be doing well enough without them, so of course not much reason to the naked eye. But I've seen more than my fair share of others who want no parts of the NS without said features. I personally don't want an NS for other reasons, but this broken mentality sure isn't getting me in the soon to buy line either, but I don't think "N" cares one way or the other.

#589 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Four Roses Single Barrel CAGiversary!   1805 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:58 AM

Put me in the "I want trophies/achievements/whatever" side.

Some times I just want to know if I actually DID beat a game, or quit after act 1. Trying to remember every aspect of every game I've ever played... yeah, not going to happen.

You know they can be turned off, so those who don't like them, never need to see a single one. For those who do, it's only a loss business in the end. Choices are always best, and what I may not like, someone else will. It's like having a set control scheme Vs. being able to change buttons to what a personal preference may be. Where's the harm in having such options? There really is none, and only people who don't agree with others just don't want to see choices/options, as some form of bent control, or warped sense of reality, but to each his own I suppose.

The NS seems to be doing well enough without them, so of course not much reason to the naked eye. But I've seen more than my fair share of others who want no parts of the NS without said features. I personally don't want an NS for other reasons, but this broken mentality sure isn't getting me in the soon to buy line either, but I don't think "N" cares one way or the other.

And 1 billions times this.

I got attacked on CAG for quoting someone who wanted to swap the control scheme in a game... I just agreed with the guy. 

(was about 2 years ago, I ended up getting into it with a few people here for *misquoting* me... And left CAG for about a year over it. (Yes, part of the argument came back in the old thread... and yes Frisky was involved way back then. It's all good, i don't hold any ill will towards Frisky))

#590 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67370 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:44 PM

Here are the new deals for today:

:switch: Pre-orders

Detective Gallo - $12.74 - 15% Off - Ends 8/17

Red's Kingdom - $8.99 - 10% Off - Ends 8/16

Spectrum - $9.59 - 20% Off - Ends 8/30

:switch:

Bomb Chicken - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 8/23

Green Game: TimeSwapper - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 8/16

I and Me - $6.99 - 30% Off - Ends 8/26

Layers of Fear: Legacy - $11.99 - 40% Off - Ends 8/23

Legendary Eleven - $7.99 - 20% Off - Ends 8/27

Midnight Deluxe - $3.74 - 25% Off - Ends 8/26

Moorhun Remake - $5.59 - 20% Off - Ends 8/30

Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call - $13.49 - 10% Off - Ends 8/18

Paper Wars: Cannon Fodder Devastated - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 8/16

Red Game Without a Great Name - $1.49 - 50% Off - Ends 8/16

Rocket League - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23

Rocket League - Aftershock - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Back to the Future Car Pack - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Car Pack - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Chaos Run DLC Pack - $2.79 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23

Rocket League - DC Super Heroes DLC Pack - $2.79 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Esper - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Fast & Furious 70 Dodge Charger RT - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Fast & Furious 99 Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Fast & Furious DLC Bundle - $3.49 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - The Fate of the Furious Ice Charger - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Hot Wheels Bone Shaker - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Hot Wheels Twin Mill III - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Marauder - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Masamune - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Proteus - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Revenge of the Battle-Cars DLC Pack - $2.79 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Supersonic Fury DLC Pack - $2.79 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Triton - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23
Rocket League - Vulcan - $1.39 - 30% Off - Ends 8/23

Tetra's Escape - $3.99 - 20% Off - Ends 8/19

Tiny Hands Adventure - $12.74 - 25% Off - Ends 8/30

Unexplored - $13.50 - 10% Off - Ends 8/19

Wizard of Legend - $14.39 - 10% Off - Ends 8/17

#591 Z-Saber   Dancing is about butts now CAGiversary!   5951 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:10 PM

Some times I just want to know if I actually DID beat a game, or quit after act 1. Trying to remember every aspect of every game I've ever played... yeah, not going to happen.

I got attacked on CAG for quoting someone who wanted to swap the control scheme in a game... I just agreed with the guy.
(was about 2 years ago, I ended up getting into it with a few people here for *misquoting* me... And left CAG for about a year over it. (Yes, part of the argument came back in the old thread... and yes Frisky was involved way back then. It's all good, i don't hold any ill will towards Frisky))

I guess you just weren't ready for... the backlash.

Anyway, I think I remember that. It was about Dragon Quest Builders. Fun stuff.

#592 ValueSeeker  

ValueSeeker

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:12 PM

You have the App, thats sadly as far as N will go.

An app that only supports Splatoon 2. Idk wtf Nintendo was thinking.

#593 envelopes   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   481 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:27 PM

I may be wrong on this, but I don't think you can actually opt-out of the trophy system. You can disable notifications for them, hide (certain) games from your public profile, and delete 0% trophy games, but I don't think you can completely opt out. I mean, I could create a new non-networked account on my PS4 for every single player game I want to try out and then delete it afterwards, but that's going to cause me problems with saves (and I can't do that on my Vita)... I understand why this is the way it is, because trophies are a sort of meta-game. I just don't want to always have to play that game.

This makes sense - for most games you can easily see how far you got by looking at its trophy list. But looking at my whole list, overall I would say that the % completions are usually a very poor indicator of how much or how little I've seen (except for the platinummed games, obviously).

Don't get me wrong - I have really enjoyed interacting with the trophies on certain games. It was a pleasure to 100% Persona 4 Golden, to come back over several years until I got a platinum in Skyrim... my second and third playthroughs of New Vegas I went with different builds with the thought that I'd eventually get all of the trophies (I probably never will).  But for the majority of games I've played, the trophies are poorly designed in some aspect or another.

#594 123Code  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:57 AM

Mmmm cant seem to find Pixeljunk Monsters 2 Deluxe edition on the webstore

#595 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67370 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:03 AM

Mmmm cant seem to find Pixeljunk Monsters 2 Deluxe edition on the webstore

It's not on there, which is why I label it as eShop only since you have to go to the Switch eShop to buy it.

#596 123Code  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:19 AM

It's not on there, which is why I label it as eShop only since you have to go to the Switch eShop to buy it.

D'oh

Forgive my blindness THX Frisky

#597 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10351 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:47 PM

I would just like to say, for the record, that after about 10 hours (or less), Miitopia 3DS is the most boring thing ever.

#598 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11387 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:28 AM

Anyone else miss getting Streetpasses whenever they take their 3DS out?

I used to take it everywhere I went out, and got plenty of Streetpasses for my efforts.  A majority of them, of course, coming from places like McDonald's or Best Buy - that had Streetpass relay stations.  No longer.  In fact, I've stopped taking it out all the time now as it has become a waste.

It would have been nice if the Switch had a similar thing to Streetpass hits. 

#599 MR_E   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1843 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:57 AM

I never found the actual Streetpass thing worked that well.  I mean, it probably worked better in a more urban area or if you're in school or something.  Here, almost all of my local hits just came from Gamestop employees who had their systems at work with the occasional random hit.  I'd even take my 3DS with me when traveling between Western NY and Florida and turn it on and leave it on walking through both airports and while traveling to/from the airport, and I'd maybe get like half a dozen hits total if I was lucky.  It was still kind of fun, but I never got many streetpasses anywhere I went.

#600 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10351 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:41 AM

I used to take it everywhere I went out, and got plenty of Streetpasses for my efforts.  A majority of them, of course, coming from places like McDonald's or Best Buy - that had Streetpass relay stations.  No longer.  In fact, I've stopped taking it out all the time now as it has become a waste.

It would have been nice if the Switch had a similar thing to Streetpass hits. 

THIS. I miss Streetpass.

I had a routine on Sundays where I would go for a walk through a local shopping center. I would make a circuit between McDonalds, Best Buy, and Home Depot. The Home Depot was great, as they had multiple routers or something. I would get a little exercise, and at the end of it, I would be rewarded by having more than 10 Streetpasses and be able to play a round of Streetpass games.

I also used to take my 3DS with me all the time, but I probably stopped a little before the Switch came out.

I considered setting up a Raspberry Pi with Homepass at one point, but I decided the cost and work wasn't worth it for me.