* * - - - 3 votes

Playstation 4 Greatest Hits arriving June 28th ($19.99 msrp)

#31 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11667 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:31 PM

Most of these have been cheaper in the past - sometimes by a lot.  But hey, they come in ugly red packaging now.

#32 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5991 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:54 PM

I'm 5'11" and 185 lbs. Needless to say, I weigh more than a balloon.

I'm with you on the Yakuza 0 price excitement, though.

I can't get back to that GameStop store tonight to return the game because of inclement weather, so my original post was needless.

#33 MsterPanDa  

MsterPanDa

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:55 PM

I believe both Yakuza games are being released to pc so maybe they want to drop the price so it can sell as well.

#34 Captain N The Game Master  

Captain N The Game Master

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:15 AM

Grand Theft Auto 5 $29.99 4 life!

#35 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2483 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:52 AM

Grand Theft Auto 5 $29.99 4 life!

It's $19.99 new at Gamestop, and was $18 at Newegg just a few days ago.

#36 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2483 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:56 AM

Most of these have been cheaper in the past - sometimes by a lot.  But hey, they come in ugly red packaging now.

You're right - a lot of these can be had for less than $20, but hey, at least the MSRP is down and it's nice to see Sony releasing the GH editions now. 

As for the red packaging, I stopped caring about that stuff a while ago.  With games today no longer coming with manuals, it just doesn't matter much anymore.  The key is to have the game disc to play.  Who cares anymore whether it's the GH or not.  In the past, it mattered to some extent in that GH editions sometimes didn't have manuals (e.g., see Nintendo Wii U's Player's choice line), but unless you're OCD, the color of the case doesn't change anything anymore. 

In fact, it was often the case the GH version had all the DLC and other bonus content on-disc.  Doesn't look like Sony bothered with doing that for Bloodborne (too bad), but may be other games that come out will go that extra mile to reignite sales/double dips.

#37 coolduck   super cool duck CAGiversary!   328 Posts   Joined 1.5 Years Ago  

coolduck

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:56 AM

ALL of these are available for less than 20$ already, except yakuza which is only that price on psn. killzone and freaking battlefield "i came out in 2013" 4 can be found for less than 5 bucks. i dont know why they didnt do this for HZD, TLG, GR2, games that actually had the price drop that fit with this.

More importantly though, as someone who collects physical games, i was so happy this cancer wasnt anywhere near this gen of games, until now. it looks just as tacky, forced, and ugly as youd expect. 

#38 Smithers123  

Smithers123

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:42 AM

Any idea if the new cases will be RED colored like PS3s GHs also?

#39 MsterPanDa  

MsterPanDa

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:09 AM

Any idea if the new cases will be RED colored like PS3s GHs also?

Look at the picture of the games being made GH on page 1. The outer lines show red and you can actually see the red cases. 

#40 JohnnyCage   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1136 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

JohnnyCage

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:16 AM

ALL of these are available for less than 20$ already, except yakuza which is only that price on psn. killzone and freaking battlefield "i came out in 2013" 4 can be found for less than 5 bucks. i dont know why they didnt do this for HZD, TLG, GR2, games that actually had the price drop that fit with this.

More importantly though, as someone who collects physical games, i was so happy this cancer wasnt anywhere near this gen of games, until now. it looks just as tacky, forced, and ugly as youd expect. 

I'm glad they didn't do it for Horizon because I was able to get the blue case for $16. Now I have to settle for an ugly red case for Yakuza 0.

#41 coolduck   super cool duck CAGiversary!   328 Posts   Joined 1.5 Years Ago  

coolduck

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:32 AM

I'm glad they didn't do it for Horizon because I was able to get the blue case for $16. Now I have to settle for an ugly red case for Yakuza 0.

nah, just dodge the red ones when the price drops.

gamestop and best buy still have new copies of older prints. ebay and gamestops used section should have them too.

#42 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:52 PM

I grudgingly bought GH games last gen with the hideous red case. Not doing it again this year. Either I get the regular packaging the moment the price cuts happen or I don't buy the game. I don't buy digital either. So if Sony wants to lose money, they will release the hideous red cases.

#43 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2996 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:07 PM

..Dude, are you a bull or something? That seems like a disproportionate amount of anger anger towards the color red.

#44 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

..Dude, are you a bull or something? That seems like a disproportionate amount of anger anger towards the color red.

It looks wrong on my shelf. I don't like the fucking rainbow on my shelf. PS2 had black cases, PS3 had clear cases, PS4 has blue cases, and GH games have red cases. Yes, I'm fucking mad.

#45 Squeegor 2  

Squeegor 2

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

Get games for the same going rate as before, only now with an ugly lable!! Thanks Sony!

Oh you want these games for cheap? Fine, but no pretty case for you! ...is kinda how it goes with these "greatest hits". Why not just lower the MSRP and just leave it at that. Most of these games are kinda there anyway.

And what's wrong with gamer bulls? You don't know us, don't judge.

#46 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2335 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:14 PM

Typically i avoid the GH versions of games unless it's also the only way to get a complete version.  I think with PS3, Red Dead Redemption GoTY edition was only a Greatest Hits.  So, yeah, that's the one I bought.

#47 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   13650 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:38 PM

Who remembers when Circuit City use to run a buy 2 for $30 sale on Greatest Hits games back in the day?

It's always fun driving around and spotting an old CC that is now some mom and pop shop. One was turned into a premium liquor store where I used to live. Massive upgrade I'd say.

#48 MsterPanDa  

MsterPanDa

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

If you want the game but not the case, just get an old ps4 sports game that's a few dollars or something and switch the case to the normal blue. However, you will have to live with the greatest hits label on the paper cover and game disk.    

#49 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2996 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:30 PM

And what's wrong with gamer bulls? You don't know us, don't judge.

Hey, I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I'm very pro-bull; I call out people who say "bullshit" for cultural appropriation. I don't see species.

#50 ianharwood   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

ianharwood

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:39 PM

really cool that Yakuza is finally getting some love in the West

#51 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   207 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

So if Sony wants to lose money, they will release the hideous red cases.

They clearly don't lose money on what has been a very successful product line through every generation of PlayStation. Buy what you like for your own collection though.

Personally, this edition doesn't look too bad. I liked the green PSOne line, absolutely hated the label design for the PS2 ones.

#52 darkdaze73   Serious Fisherman CAGiversary!   493 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:40 PM

Due to the info provided here to check in store(don't remember who), I found a lone copy of Yakuza Kiwami at Best Buy for $10. This is my first entry into the Yakuza series.

#53 kayne2000   All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise CAGiversary!   2308 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:49 PM

my only complaint is i feel like greatest hits should be 10 dollars, unless they've included all the DLC with it. at which point 20 dollars is reasonable.

yeah the casing is ugly, but i get it, they need something to distinguish it.

still, it at least finalizes the price cut down to 20 dollars and lower. so thats good....now if only nintendo followed suit by reasonably cutting the prices of all their first party games.

#54 p0rn0saur   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1193 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

p0rn0saur

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:55 PM

I just got a PS4 Pro over e3 week so cool for me. I was late to the PS2 party also and by that time the PS2 greatest hits library was huge. Target used to run 3 for $30 deals every couple months. I still have a backlog from that. Hopefully Horizon is in the next round. 

#55 BaIZIoo  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:39 PM

I appreciate GH titles for one simple fact: they come with bug fixes and occasionally extra content. That being said, screw SFV being on this list when arcade version is available, no point in that. If I remember correctly they did the same thing with SFIV.

#56 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4296 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:14 PM

The only question I have, will they be reprints of the original discs, or will they be updated/patched versions?

Some games, such as Blood Borne, had fun little exploits and glitches you could do prior to patching. Things such as geometry and asset skipping, and etc, which allowed you to get further in the game then you should be able to.

#57 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3730 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:20 PM

That being said, screw SFV being on this list when arcade version is available, no point in that. If I remember correctly they did the same thing with SFIV.

Vanilla SFV is compatible with all updates that have been released so far. SFIV was obsolete when Super came out because it was a completely new game. 

#58 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   207 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:58 PM

That being said, screw SFV being on this list when arcade version is available, no point in that.

It makes sense for the pricepoint. Arcade is too new for Capcom to go for $20. Plus, they're probably still looking for any possible way to get new buyers after irrevocably fucking up the launch.

#59 Donut2922   Read the OP! CAGiversary!   10044 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:38 AM

The greatest hits cases are universally hated on. Rightfully so. Those things are pretty ugly. Haven't kept up with blue labels for current gen but i do recall sealed PS3 black labels worth a pretty penny in the past.

#60 thedragon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   792 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:41 AM

Maybe this is premature but I'm ready for a buy 2 get 1 free on PS4 greatest hits