* * * * - 16 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#32161 SideQuestsSuck  

SideQuestsSuck

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:09 AM

I don't think many folks will even consider their medium / high value Switch games to sell / trade to GS.  Their offer is horrible.  Some will.  Most will not.

Indeed...and it's not just Switch games they rip you off on with trades. I tried trading in my completed Nioh 2 PS4 copy to GS a coupla months after release. 12 lousy bucks in Regular TIV...12! Cool, no worries...I sold it on EBAY for the same price GS is selling it for used, $39.99.

Unless they're adding an extra $5 that week in TIV to lessen the shock, I find it's usually a bad idea to trade in at GS. I'll occasionally find a decent trade-in value there (before Covid-19 hit, I think I could still get $17 for Dying Light: The Following, a 4-year-old game), but those seem to be exceptions, rather than the rule.

#32162 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5414 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:20 AM

Not much in the sale but I did at least manage to find 5 games.  

Pokemon sun & Moon 7.49 each

kh 1.5 2.5 remix 7.49

code vein 8.99 

nsmb2 3ds 9.99

Biggest want was code vein so the rest I can keep or resell down the road. Pokemon moon I already have but I don't have sun so that I will keep.  Moon probably isn't worth as much given the ultra versions of it and sun.

#32163 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14796 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:45 AM

It's not a huge amazement why stuff isn't getting sold to GameStop.  Their offers are silly low, to the tune of 15-30% of PriceCharting.

I had a box of $10-$25 Switch games.  GS offers $3-$5 per game, accepting only maybe 20% of titles.  Even with the +$5 bonus last week, that was terrible.  I snubbed GS and sold them to a B&M store for roughly 55% PC cash value, on average.  Low value games like these are not worth selling online, anyways.  The B&M's can't keep Switch titles in stock, so they pay extravagantly.

I don't think many folks will even consider their medium / high value Switch games to sell / trade to GS.  Their offer is horrible.  Some will.  Most will not.

Their weekly hottest trades, are cruddy: if B&M's pay $30-$35 cash per 1st party title.  B&M's apparently want to flip games more than GS does.

Indeed...and it's not just Switch games they rip you off on with trades. I tried trading in my completed Nioh 2 PS4 copy to GS a coupla months after release. 12 lousy bucks in Regular TIV...12! Cool, no worries...I sold it on EBAY for the same price GS is selling it for used, $39.99.

Unless they're adding an extra $5 that week in TIV to lessen the shock, I find it's usually a bad idea to trade in at GS. I'll occasionally find a decent trade-in value there (before Covid-19 hit, I think I could still get $17 for Dying Light: The Following, a 4-year-old game), but those seem to be exceptions, rather than the rule.

Yeah only decent trade I've had since Lockdown was trading my physical copy of Control on PS4 for $21 after buying the digital copy on sale for just under $20.

#32164 DANIEL   DANNY FAKnTASTIC CAGiversary!   1355 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:23 AM

is the $5 trade-in bonus gone?

#32165 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5414 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:58 AM

I can't find any mention of its end date from searching so I have no idea.  One post from a few pages back on the 11th was asking if it ended that day. But got no reply.

#32166 Lumas101  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:50 AM

The bonus was listed in the 7/5 to 7/11 ad. I forget if it was the regular weekly ad or the Game Days ad, but either way it is assumed to be over since it isn’t listed this week.

#32167 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAG Veteran   605 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:14 PM

The bonus was listed in the 7/5 to 7/11 ad. I forget if it was the regular weekly ad or the Game Days ad, but either way it is assumed to be over since it isn’t listed this week.

The +$5 bonus was only listed in the Game Days ad, and never showed up on the trade page. Then again, the current promo towards Mario Origami King isn't listed either. 

And since the 50% off 5 under $19.99 appeared in the weekly ad for both online and in-store, don't expect its rules to change during the week (like going up to any game under $29.99) so it's looking like an off-week to me. 

#32168 camperinabush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1268 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

camperinabush

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:53 PM

The +$5 bonus was only listed in the Game Days ad, and never showed up on the trade page. Then again, the current promo towards Mario Origami King isn't listed either.

And since the 50% off 5 under $19.99 appeared in the weekly ad for both online and in-store, don't expect its rules to change during the week (like going up to any game under $29.99) so it's looking like an off-week to me.

The Origami King and Ghost promo is now listed, just not on the trade page.

88D7B924-6E50-4834-80F5-C040FD984937.jpeg

#32169 strongarm   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   167 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

strongarm

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:38 PM

Does GameStop have steam cards in-store?

#32170 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14796 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:47 PM

Does GameStop have steam cards in-store?

Yes

#32171 zanderlex  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:15 PM

To get the 20% off do you have to put the entire amount towards Mario or can you put any amount and keep the rest on a card?

#32172 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   3606 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:05 PM

GameStop definitely holds back stock on LE consoles for replacements. I bought a Cyberpunk X bundle when it was available, ended up being defective. Sent it back and received a replacement this morning.

#32173 Squidfinity  

Squidfinity

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:21 PM

To get the 20% off do you have to put the entire amount towards Mario or can you put any amount and keep the rest on a card?

Some hardass employees may try to tell you you need to pay/trade towards it in full (possibly of their own accord, possibly at the directive of their DL), but that's not official policy. You need to put $5 down from your total trade amount to reserve a standard edition game in almost all cases. The balance can go on a card, or towards other items in the purchase, etc. Afterwards, you can come back and trade more items and put just an additional $0.01 down on that same pre-order to activate the bonus on items in the new trade that would receive it.

#32174 Artanis1  

Artanis1

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:24 PM

GameStop definitely holds back stock on LE consoles for replacements. I bought a Cyberpunk X bundle when it was available, ended up being defective. Sent it back and received a replacement this morning.

This is great news. Been waiting on a replacement last of us pro for three weeks now.

#32175 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   14914 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:34 PM

Side note: Looks like another GS randomly closed down, presumably due to no one wanting to work. That makes 2 currently in my area closed randomly, and another 5 either permanently closed or closed for the long future due to looting.

They were closing stores before the pandemic hit and people "not wanting to work" because they don't want to get sick.

It's not a huge amazement why stuff isn't getting sold to GameStop.  Their offers are silly low, to the tune of 15-30% of PriceCharting.

I had a box of $10-$25 Switch games.  GS offers $3-$5 per game, accepting only maybe 20% of titles.  Even with the +$5 bonus last week, that was terrible.  I snubbed GS and sold them to a B&M store for roughly 55% PC cash value, on average.  Low value games like these are not worth selling online, anyways.  The B&M's can't keep Switch titles in stock, so they pay extravagantly.

Their weekly hottest trades, are cruddy: if B&M's pay $30-$35 cash per 1st party title.  B&M's apparently want to flip games more than GS does.

And it's because of people without real jobs who try to buy and resell games back to GS that they lowball trade-in values and have frequent store closings. I couldn't care less if GS goes under, but I'm hoping that its demise teaches some kids lessons in adulthood. Flipping games doesn't make you an entrepreneur, and there are plenty of productive ways to pay for your gaming hobby. But in all honesty, you'll probably resort to flipping toothpaste from Walgreens coupons on Amazon--and that's fine with me, since I invested in Amazon instead of 10 copies of a PS4 game.

#32176 paul6   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   429 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:39 PM

ghosts of tsushima and paper mario will have g2L according to the ad. might dump off the games i coudln't unload last week...

Where do you see G2L mentioned in the ad?

#32177 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   3606 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:40 PM

I invested in Amazon, Walgreens and 10 copies of a PS4 game. You aren’t on my level, kid.

#32178 ajh2298   2009 Stanley Cup Champs CAGiversary!   7837 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:47 PM

Where do you see G2L mentioned in the ad?

I say a sign for it when I went to pick up a $5 shirt at my local store about an hour ago.

#32179 paul6   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   429 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:55 PM

I say a sign for it when I went to pick up a $5 shirt at my local store about an hour ago.

Nice, thanks.  Paper Mario is probably a good game to beat in two nights.

#32180 Blade3D   Grandmaster Swag CAGiversary!   4331 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:40 PM

My SSB Melee still haven't shipped...

#32181 EndOfGreen  

EndOfGreen

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:14 PM

They were closing stores before the pandemic hit and people "not wanting to work" because they don't want to get sick.

Wasn't talking about permanent closings. I'm talking about stores shutting down for one-two weeks at a time on a whim and instead of corporate sending people to them to keep it open they remain closed until people randomly pop up to work there. If only life was easy enough to not leave the house because you "don't want to get sick". That would never cut it at a high level job.

#32182 strongarm   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   167 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

strongarm

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:58 PM

And it's because of people without real jobs who try to buy and resell games back to GS that they lowball trade-in values and have frequent store closings. I couldn't care less if GS goes under, but I'm hoping that its demise teaches some kids lessons in adulthood. Flipping games doesn't make you an entrepreneur, and there are plenty of productive ways to pay for your gaming hobby. But in all honesty, you'll probably resort to flipping toothpaste from Walgreens coupons on Amazon--and that's fine with me, since I invested in Amazon instead of 10 copies of a PS4 game.

Meh... To each their own. I personally don't flip ever, but I don't mind those who do. You know about stock, then you should be familiar with all of the shady practices billion dollar corps do.

#32183 bob330i   just lookin' CAGiversary!   3593 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:00 PM

Some hardass employees may try to tell you you need to pay/trade towards it in full (possibly of their own accord, possibly at the directive of their DL), but that's not official policy. You need to put $5 down from your total trade amount to reserve a standard edition game in almost all cases. The balance can go on a card, or towards other items in the purchase, etc. Afterwards, you can come back and trade more items and put just an additional $0.01 down on that same pre-order to activate the bonus on items in the new trade that would receive it.

I was told by a couple managers that it's a district requirement to put all of the credit onto the PO.  I don't really care much as I'll just grab it back post release or move it to another PO.  For now, I'm letting about $150 ride on the eventual PS5 announcement.

#32184 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23445 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:38 PM

Does anyone know if there is a limit on long after calling for refund/replacement you have before you're SOL? I just got an email, a week after I contacted them, saying there's a delay in processing my refund or return request and that it might take up to 2 weeks to process (not sure if that's 2 weeks from when I called, or 2 weeks after the email). 

#32185 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21175 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:54 PM

Does anyone know if there is a limit on long after calling for refund/replacement you have before you're SOL? I just got an email, a week after I contacted them, saying there's a delay in processing my refund or return request and that it might take up to 2 weeks to process (not sure if that's 2 weeks from when I called, or 2 weeks after the email). 

During this current pandemic timeline? Going to be a tough one, even if there was a policy in place for before.

#32186 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAG Veteran   605 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:53 AM

I got a similar email today on a replacement (game wasn't sent) and to keep an eye on my Credit card / email... guessing it will get here eventually. I've got 3 shipments that shipped via USPS, so it's literally been almost 2 weeks and still awaiting acceptance at the post office. I'm sure replacements will go this shipping around too. 

And it's because of people without real jobs who try to buy and resell games back to GS that they lowball trade-in values and have frequent store closings. 

GS is getting wiser to the flippers with the min value $3 or more on the recent +$5. I like flipping because I find it fun and a hobby and of itself. Luckly my state hasn't been hit much by closings. 

Nice, thanks.  Paper Mario is probably a good game to beat in two nights.

I heard  the game was 25-40 hours... not sure it's one you can G2L beat. I'm more going to wait until it's available pre-owned during a B2Gx promo. Nintendo really doesn't seem to try on the special editions... I could imagine a ton of labo-like bundles they would tack on to this game and parents would just buy them all in this pandemic. 

#32187 EndOfGreen  

EndOfGreen

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:05 AM

Noticed almost all of my recent orders are being shipped via FedEx, saw it mentioned a few days ago but surprised it finally took them this long to try them out instead of USPS.

Also noticed that almost all of my switch games from this 50% off deal are coming from the warehouse. What are the experiences with switch games that come from the warehouse? Don't think I've ever had one not be shipped from the store. Are they refurbished or something?

#32188 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23445 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:03 AM

I got a similar email today on a replacement (game wasn't sent) and to keep an eye on my Credit card / email... guessing it will get here eventually. I've got 3 shipments that shipped via USPS, so it's literally been almost 2 weeks and still awaiting acceptance at the post office. I'm sure replacements will go this shipping around too. 

Bleh... I have an order like that too, that was "shipped" on the 6th but still nothing on tracking. At least with this order, I used a credit card so I can just file a charge back. But my actual lost order was paid with a gift card so prob fucked there.  

#32189 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3444 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:08 AM

I'm waiting on a game ordered on the 6th. Same thing as everyone else, shipped USPS and hasn't been picked up. I'm pretty done with GameStop at this point. Was going to go pre order paper Mario and ghost of tsushima but I'll just get them at best buy instead.

#32190 Artanis1  

Artanis1

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:19 AM

Just got the same email waiting on my console that never left in June. "Hey sorry. Might be two more weeks... on top of the three already". As long as it gets here, it's all good. But odd we all got mass emails today. Must be expecting a shipment.