* * * * - 18 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#32911 Alexpguy  

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:45 PM

I still have one PS4 copy (no intentions of ever having a PS4) from the bonanza. I expect to keep it now as a memento.

Same, one last PS4 copy has just been sitting in my car for the past 6 months or so, just waiting...

#32912 Ketsui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:49 PM

Im afraid if i go tomorrow morning, the bump will be dead

#32913 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3840 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:16 PM

Im afraid if i go tomorrow morning, the bump will be dead

Possibly. No reason to wait. Even if GS had a $5 bonus, it's not worth it on games that have a TIV more than ~$17 (if trading towards Mario/Tsushima).

Edit:
Math is wrong. The $5 bonus stacks with 10% pro bonus, so anything with a base value less than $25 it's better to wait for the $5 bonus... but it's not a huge loss if you go with the Mario/Tsushima trade promo (unless the game TIV has a low TIV). Really depends on the value of the games you're trading in.

#32914 thecobb8   Welcome to Cobb CAGiversary!   196 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

thecobb8

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:01 PM

I thought about actually trading the copy of Paper Mario I have toward another one just for extra boost. The $15 I lose is more than made up by the extra values I would be getting on other games lol

#32915 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   952 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:09 PM

Success here trading in MM2, Mario Party, FH4. Got Paper Mario and $62 Xbox credit.

#32916 Am_I_Evil  

Am_I_Evil

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:17 PM

Debating...I’ve got ultimate alliance, luigis mansion, Mario maker 2, & smash...could trade these all towards one of the bonus games and get a good amount...but I’m not actually “done” with them yet...think these will be on “sale” again soon to rebuy?

Basically, having an internal debate about trading now and rebuying during another sale...should I go for it? Most have these have already been traded/retraded a bunch but I haven’t been trading/flipping since the pandemic started...not sure why I’m hesitating but here we are lol

#32917 Ketsui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:27 PM

Trade now, ragerts later

#32918 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3840 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:51 PM

Will they even take the PAL (?) version of a switch game? Mario Odyssey, not that that probably matters.

If they don't, or make a big deal about it, it will be ironic since they sold it to me.

#32919 thecobb8   Welcome to Cobb CAGiversary!   196 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

thecobb8

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:06 PM

Debating...I’ve got ultimate alliance, luigis mansion, Mario maker 2, & smash...could trade these all towards one of the bonus games and get a good amount...but I’m not actually “done” with them yet...think these will be on “sale” again soon to rebuy?

Basically, having an internal debate about trading now and rebuying during another sale...should I go for it? Most have these have already been traded/retraded a bunch but I haven’t been trading/flipping since the pandemic started...not sure why I’m hesitating but here we are lol

All those titles are $35 base and if you trade towards Paper you'd be pushing $45... Won't get much higher unless it's $5 bonus but who knows when that will happen.

That being said 1st party Switch titles don't go on sale very often unless it's thru the the Store.

#32920 aircobra   Banned Banned   3802 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:06 PM

Anyone know what the value is for Spider-Man on PS4? When searching for it, it doesn't pop up because they don't seem to sell the base version anymore.

#32921 Am_I_Evil  

Am_I_Evil

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

Didn’t matter because my store didn’t have either of the games in stock...

#32922 Strider Turbulence EX  

Strider Turbulence EX

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

Will they even take the PAL (?) version of a switch game? Mario Odyssey, not that that probably matters.

If they don't, or make a big deal about it, it will be ironic since they sold it to me.

I'd trade it cart only.

#32923 EndOfGreen  

EndOfGreen

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:13 PM

Something I've learned: Really, unless you're hurting for quick cash/credit, don't trade in games you want to rebuy. Trade in games you bought purely to flip or that you realize you truly don't want. If you already have it in your possession, you never have to worry about making sure you get it on the next sale. Less stress

#32924 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   952 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:15 PM

Didn’t matter because my store didn’t have either of the games in stock...

Yeah 3 of my 4 nearby stores didn’t have Mario. I called each to check and one told me yes...but it’s opened. Ha! At least she told me.

#32925 EndOfGreen  

EndOfGreen

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:16 PM

Possibly. No reason to wait. Even if GS had a $5 bonus, it's not worth it on games that have a TIV more than ~$17 (if trading towards Mario/Tsushima).

Edit:
Math is wrong. The $5 bonus stacks with 10% pro bonus, so anything with a base value less than $25 it's better to wait for the $5 bonus... but it's not a huge loss if you go with the Mario/Tsushima trade promo (unless the game TIV has a low TIV). Really depends on the value of the games you're trading in.

Doesn't seem like you factored the bump in in your edit. Not sure of the values beforehand but I cant imagine so many 3DS games always going for $11 like they are now. I'm assuming they drop to $8 base at least, and then you are essentially breaking even between this 30% and the +5 promos.

#32926 Lumas101  

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:23 PM

Anyone know what the value is for Spider-Man on PS4? When searching for it, it doesn't pop up because they don't seem to sell the base version anymore.

Spider-man is $15 Base / 16.50 Pro.

#32927 strongarm   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   173 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

strongarm

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:24 PM

What exactly is stealth bump?

#32928 aircobra   Banned Banned   3802 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Something I've learned: Really, unless you're hurting for quick cash/credit, don't trade in games you want to rebuy. Trade in games you bought purely to flip or that you realize you truly don't want. If you already have it in your possession, you never have to worry about making sure you get it on the next sale. Less stress

Unless you've had games sit for months without playing them. Trade in when the values are high and rebuy when the game is less than $20. No reason to let a game sit on your shelf if you have no intention of getting to it for a while. If I can trade in a game for $40 and just wait to pick it up when it is under $20 (especially if I can get it digitally), I am doing it.

#32929 DrBayrd  

lol black ops 2 on 360 is $15.

That TIV is still legit today.

#32930 Lumas101  

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:32 PM

Doesn't seem like you factored the bump in in your edit. Not sure of the values beforehand but I cant imagine so many 3DS games always going for $11 like they are now. I'm assuming they drop to $8 base at least, and then you are essentially breaking even between this 30% and the +5 promos.

For what it's worth, the 3DS games I have got $3 bumps or no bumps. Here's what I have:

No Bump: Mario and Luigi Dream Team, Hyrule Warriors Legends, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Samus Returns, Ever Oasis, Smash Bros, Ultimate NES Remix

Animal Crossing New Leaf 7 Base to 10 Base

Hey! Pikmin 5 Base to 8 Base

Pokemon Moon 5 Base to 8 Base

Zelda Link Between Worlds 5 Base to 8 Base

#32931 Lumas101  

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:38 PM

What exactly is stealth bump?

When Gamestop increases trade values without advertising that they've done so. It used to happen approximately one weekend a month, but it has been sporadic during COVID. There was one last Friday that surprisingly only lasted for Friday, and now it's back today.

#32932 bmcgrevy  

bmcgrevy

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:44 PM

I wouldn't trade in 99% of the games on that list. It's basically a list of the best games for every system and many of them have infinite replay value. It's a good list for flippers or people who play casually. It's not such a good list for people who don't care about flipping or enjoy their games without rushing them. There's also people who want to play these games but want to trade them in now and don't mind going through the hassle of buying and rebuying the same games over and over again but don't understand concepts like time, opportunity cost, etc. And as games get older and go OOP it's harder to find copies in good condition anyway.

#32933 bmcgrevy  

bmcgrevy

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:49 PM

I saw that game on the list last week but now it's gone completely along with several other games. Once again, I am not sure if this is intentional for some weird reason or it's just a glitch that GS doesn't care to fix. But it's been going on for awhile now where random games disappear from the website to both buy and trade in.

GS is also foolish for not fixing the store locator. I can't imagine how much business they've lost because you can't buy a game and pick up in store because almost every single game shows as not in stock even though they all have them.

#32934 strongarm   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   173 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

strongarm

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:20 PM

When Gamestop increases trade values without advertising that they've done so. It used to happen approximately one weekend a month, but it has been sporadic during COVID. There was one last Friday that surprisingly only lasted for Friday, and now it's back today.

Thanks for the great explanation

#32935 baboonfreak   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1244 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

baboonfreak

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

I saw that game on the list last week but now it's gone completely along with several other games. Once again, I am not sure if this is intentional for some weird reason or it's just a glitch that GS doesn't care to fix. But it's been going on for awhile now where random games disappear from the website to both buy and trade in.

GS is also foolish for not fixing the store locator. I can't imagine how much business they've lost because you can't buy a game and pick up in store because almost every single game shows as not in stock even though they all have them.

It's still there on the app. Just have to search 'Marvel's Spider-Man'. Base value of $15 like last week.

#32936 nevermeltice  

nevermeltice

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:33 PM

My store wouldn't take my wii/xbox360 game trades. They said they were told not to accept any, even though values are listed on the site/app :(

#32937 WickedCyclone  

WickedCyclone

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

My store wouldn't take my wii/xbox360 game trades. They said they were told not to accept any, even though values are listed on the site/app :(

I got the same thing at the store I just tried at. I might go try at another one that has more of an anything goes attitude.

#32938 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3840 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:43 PM

(X)(1.1)+$5 = (X)(1.3)
X = $25

So anything that has a base TIV less than $25, you have to HOPE a stealth bump coincides with a $5 trade bonus. Assuming this hypothetical stealth bump TIV's are the same as they currently are. It's a gamble waiting as a) the TIV's would have to be the same as they currently are and b) you're waiting on a $5 bonus that may not coincide with this hypothetical stealth bump. I would say there's no point trading anything less than say $5 (semi arbitrary number) as 30% is barely anything on that.

#32939 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4515 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

Picked up dotd :ps4: Trine: The Ultimate Collection used for $5. Game seems brand new, so may have been a convert. I forgot I had bought the first three games digitally, but oh well, $5 for a disc of all four is good.

#32940 Lumas101  

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:13 PM

I was able to successfully trade in Demon’s Souls for PS3. The employee scanned it and visibly reacted in surprise when it went through properly. I didn’t ask him about it because I didn’t want to give him a reason to say they’re not taking PS3 games, but it seemed pretty obvious he was expecting to tell me they don’t take them. So, I would call PS3 YMMV.