* * * * - 18 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#33091 Gameboy415   16-bits of awesome CAGiversary!   3480 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:51 PM

I had a store refuse a Wii Sports trade-in yesterday but it looks like it actually held its value ($15 base) so I'm going to try again at another store that took 6 of my Wii games last Friday.

#33092 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   854 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:10 PM

That’s not how it works...you’re SOL

I stand corrected the value held for this game. Go trade it towards ghost or paper asap!

#33093 oakley568   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:41 PM

Yeah, good luck to those that still have trade ins...values appear to have held! 

#33094 oakley568   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:46 PM

On another topic, I just bought $150 worth of Xbox gift cards yesterday from GS from my trade ins to put towards the XSX.  So if anyone is wondering if you can use trade credit online for xbox gift cards, it still works! 

I combined that with the Amex platinum offer on SD from yesterday (spend $100, get $100 back) on my card and my wife's card.  Sitting on close to $400 towards next gen, here's to hoping I can actually pre-order one from the MS website! 

#33095 IGN  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:50 PM

On another topic, I just bought $150 worth of Xbox gift cards yesterday from GS from my trade ins to put towards the XSX.  So if anyone is wondering if you can use trade credit online for xbox gift cards, it still works! 

I combined that with the Amex platinum offer on SD from yesterday (spend $100, get $100 back) on my card and my wife's card.  Sitting on close to $400 towards next gen, here's to hoping I can actually pre-order one from the MS website! 

You think that the XSX is going to be $400?

#33096 jooksingjie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   245 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

jooksingjie

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:23 PM

I stand corrected the value held for this game. Go trade it towards ghost or paper asap!

I think we're all surprised that values are still up today. The games on sale in the weekly ad now reflect a lower preowned price and lower trade in value. 

#33097 oakley568   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:28 PM

You think that the XSX is going to be $400?

No, I was just saying I have close to $400 towards the next gen (had some MS credit in my account from a while ago...).  I'm thinking it will be $500 for the XSX and the PS5.  

Getting these gift cards just reduces the sting of buying the next gen system from MS. 

• IGN likes this

#33098 paul6   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   450 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:17 PM

Say you have 50k rewards points.  Can you redeem that for a $50 in-store coupon, and use that to buy a $50 PSN card?

#33099 Macedon911  

Macedon911

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:37 PM

Say you have 50k rewards points.  Can you redeem that for a $50 in-store coupon, and use that to buy a $50 PSN card?

It worked last week for me. I redeemed 10K for in-store and used it on a PSN card. The online variation does not work on PSN or other digital currency.

#33100 2changz  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:21 PM

Picked up 3 copies of Twilight Princess at a secondhand shop to flip to GS. Will also grab some OW's and R6's to flip. Any other good ones with the $14.99 deal?

#33101 Ratmonkey  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:23 PM

Wow..Been away for a bit.

Somebody really likes to stereotype. Tell me more what you think about "those people".

#33102 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3840 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:01 PM

It shouldn't be YMMV. It's either uniformed employees that can't do an easy job correctly or managers being douches and making up their own rules. All stores are supposed to accept those if they come up. Of course, there's basically no GS customer service right now so good luck complaining about it.

Not to mention, why the hell does GS still have a store inventory checker if it hasn't been working for over a month now? What's the point? And why do random pages of games randomly disappear?

But you know what pisses me off the most? That "load more" button. It made going through the bumped values list a chore. GS used to have a good website then they changed it to a site that's broken half the time and annoying to use the other half.

You complain a lot, so maybe this will at least shut you up regarding the last point.

https://www.gamestop.com/trade/?q=mwt&lang=default;start=1&sz=256

#33103 ajh2298   2009 Stanley Cup Champs CAGiversary!   7856 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:23 PM

So I traded in my CoD MW towards GoT which my store didn’t have so its being shipped to me. The CSR did it for me through their system will I ever get any shipment/order information via email? I do have a receipt with an order number and my address.

Thanks

#33104 oakley568   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:30 PM

I'm just curious, what source do you use to get your information? Because I'm confused as to why you stated that the values would "tank" today (meaning they would drop) yet they're still at full bumped values today. I would be careful in trusting that source because they were wrong and that type of information could mislead alot of people here. I'm going to assume you didn't just make up that information, and it would actually be preferable if you post rumors like this in the lounge post you're promoting so more people aren't mislead again.

Most Wanted Trade (MWT) stealth bumps usually last Friday through Sunday, and trade values tank first thing Monday morning.  We were all pleasantly surprised to see the values mostly held.  I did some one post saying an NHL game tanked, but major titles like Wii Sports Resort and COD: MW didn't. 

We know this because there have been a lot of stealth bumps over the years and we've learned when they are live and usually when they end.  

#33105 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   2784 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:32 PM

Most Wanted Trade (MWT) stealth bumps usually last Friday through Sunday, and trade values tank first thing Monday morning. 

Not sure where you're getting this info, but the normal period is Fri-Mon.

#33106 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23547 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:33 PM

Picked up 3 copies of Twilight Princess at a secondhand shop to flip to GS. Will also grab some OW's and R6's to flip. Any other good ones with the $14.99 deal?

I'm shocked you found a secondhand shop with 3x copies of TP... 

#33107 2changz  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:45 PM

I'm shocked you found a secondhand shop with 3x copies of TP...

Only $3.95 each too. Was debating holding for the future but 2 of them are disc and case only and all 3 moderately scratched

#33108 aircobra   Banned Banned   3802 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:51 PM

I'm just curious, what source do you use to get your information? Because I'm confused as to why you stated that the values would "tank" today (meaning they would drop) yet they're still at full bumped values today. I would be careful in trusting that source because they were wrong and that type of information could mislead alot of people here. I'm going to assume you didn't just make up that information, and it would actually be preferable if you post rumors like this in the lounge post you're promoting so more people aren't mislead again.

Shut up. Most stealth bumps last until Monday, so it was safe to assume they’d drop today. Do us all a favor and stop posting.

#33109 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   700 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:11 PM

Speaking of unfounded rumors - Any chance the 50% off under $30 returns as a flash sale this week?  :razz:

#33110 oakley568   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:22 PM

Not sure where you're getting this info, but the normal period is Fri-Mon.

I stand corrected, thank you.  I thought today was Monday but it's Tuesday and work has my brain all fried.  I have traded games in the past on a Monday, so that is correct.  My bad! 

#33111 oakley568   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:24 PM

Only $3.95 each too. Was debating holding for the future but 2 of them are disc and case only and all 3 moderately scratched

At first I thought it was TP on the GameCube, and I would thrown my hands up.  Although, i did find two copies of TP on the GameCube within two weeks of each other at a thrift store in NH...both we're $5. 

#33112 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   700 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:35 PM

Speaking of unfounded rumors - Any chance the 50% off under $30 returns as a flash sale this week?  :razz:

Guess I can quote myself... not quite 50% off (would be ~40% if the $10 coupon applies)

4 for $80 on pre-owned under $30 = 33% off... online / bopis

lJqahWP.png

#33113 thenadz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   347 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:38 PM

Something new, did my final boomerang of Overwatch/R6 siege and the associate took away $5 refurbish fee each, the games had light scratches but he said it’s a part of the store’s temporary ‘Covid cleaning procedures’.

He was nice about it and I didn’t argue because I’m just happy they didn’t notice I just bought the games a few blocks away. Could be because the games were not the cleanest looking discs either, anyone else get hit with this? Seems very YMMV

#33114 CookieMonster156   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   678 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

CookieMonster156

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:47 PM

Something new, did my final boomerang of Overwatch/R6 siege and the associate took away $5 refurbish fee each, the games had light scratches but he said it’s a part of the store’s temporary ‘Covid cleaning procedures’.

He was nice about it and I didn’t argue because I’m just happy they didn’t notice I just bought the games a few blocks away. Could be because the games were not the cleanest looking discs either, anyone else get hit with this? Seems very YMMV

You got hit with the bullshit fee. They dont care about COVID, and its evident if you look at their subreddit page.

#33115 kemosahbe  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:10 PM

Well, if you look at their subreddit page all you see is lazy ass employees absolutely throwing a fit they have to work. GS as a company has actually been really good to them. Store limits are still in effect, they have literal boxes of cleaning supplies behind the counter at every store I've been to, hours have been reduced, as well as many other small things. They just have lazy ass employees, who, unless GS permanently shuts down (which, admittedly, they'd make more money from unemployment), keep whining regardless of what the company does. Of course, they still work there lol.

GS fucks over customers FAR more than its fucks over employees. When I traded in my games the other day the guys working didnt even take the discs out to check if they were ok. Just opened up the cases, checked if the game was in there, and took it. Cant complain about a company being shitty to you if you're shitty at your job.

Average salary
$9.27 per hour
13% Below national average

They treat their employees very well...

#33116 Ketsui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:06 AM

I got GoT through trade bumps, sold it for cash, now i cant find any copies at my local gamestop. FUK ME

#33117 jrc84  

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:04 AM

I traded Wii Sports and Minecraft PS3 Sunday in paper sleeves (I recycle those from online orders) without any trouble. During the $5 bonus on $3+ I traded 4 (iirc) XB1 games, I think 2 or 3 were in the black generic cases and 1 or 2 were in paper sleeves. No issues there either.

It probably helps it is at my go to location and I try to put at least some towards a preorder. I usually start by saying something like "the app says these are worth x so I was going to preoder y" just to be safe.

#33118 Xenogears   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   521 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:41 AM

Guess I can quote myself... not quite 50% off (would be ~40% if the $10 coupon applies)

4 for $80 on pre-owned under $30 = 33% off... online / bopis

lJqahWP.png

This version of the sale is pretty bad compared to their 50% off deals.  Less of a discount and more restrictive since you would have to get games as close to $30 as possible to maximize the savings.  I’ll pass, but thanks for the heads up.

#33119 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1876 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:20 AM

Holy shit, I regret going to that subreddit now. One employee even said "fuck customers" and had hundreds of upvotes. I'll never feel guilty about canceling a preorder again. I now feel bad for GS (the actual company) if these are sadly the quality of employees that represent them.

Working at GS doesn't require any actual education. Not even a GED. If they want a higher paying job then they're going to have to graduate high school, get a college degree and then look for professional jobs that pay real salaries. Maybe if they stopped spending so much time complaining on Reddit they would have time to do that.

$9.27 is a cruel wage. Minimum wage should be $15 minimum. Costs have skyrocketed in the last 40 years but wages have stagnated. There is no reason to be against $15 wages unless you somehow feel threatened, which in that case you need to be reminded if you make more than minimum wage that means you would deserve even more than $15 with this raise in wages.

Get paid $15, double minimum wage, for a job that needs a degree (lol sorry you got a degree for $15 an hour, I know the pain) then you should get $22-$30 an hour. You used to be able to buy houses on minimum wage jobs but the US government lowered taxes by 30%+ in the 80s, and redistribute the wealth that the middle class used to experience to the already rich.

#33120 SackAttack   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   770 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

SackAttack

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:32 AM

$9 is not a livable wage on 40 hours a week. That's $1440/month before taxes. That's $17,280/year before taxes.

And, yes, there are some taxes you pay regardless of income. You may get a chunk of that back when you file thanks to tax credits and such, but probably 15% gets withheld for payroll taxes, Social Security, etc.

So you're really at more like $15,500. About $1291 take home.

Rent varies but where I'm at? $800 or so for a 1 bedroom is close to market, and if we see a wave of foreclosures due to COVID, market pressures are gonna increase that.

So now you're at $491/month for all your remaining expenses. Oh, and spoiler alert: if you need government programs such as food share to make up the difference, THAT IS NOT A LIVABLE WAGE.

We need a robust safety net, but if that safety net is being asked to catch both those working 40+ hours a week and those who are either unemployed or unable to work, the failure is with the system that gives businesses billions in tax breaks but doesn't mandate a living wage for those who do the labor.